Darmanitan (Analysis)

[*]Decent Physical movepool coupled by Encourage, which boosts its Flare Blitz and Fire Punch, really help Darmantian in battle.
"However, this ability is not applied to moves that have a negative effect on the user, such as recoil, two-turn moves, and stat reduction after using certain moves."

Quoted directly from Bulbapedia, supplemented by actual use, albeit in PO, Flare Blitz does not get Sheer Force boosted.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Flare Blitz is boosted due to its chance to burn the target. It is boosted on Pokemon Online.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Would a gimmicky Daruma Mode set be viable? I mean, a regular mode's Flare Blitz with Life Orb would get it to Daruma Mode, and it's 105/105/105 Daruma Defenses would let it survive a priority attack at 50%. Maybe Flare Blitz/Overheat/Grass Knot/Psychic to abuse the 140 Sp. Attack?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Would a gimmicky Daruma Mode set be viable? I mean, a regular mode's Flare Blitz with Life Orb would get it to Daruma Mode, and it's 105/105/105 Daruma Defenses would let it survive a priority attack at 50%. Maybe Flare Blitz/Overheat/Grass Knot/Psychic to abuse the 140 Sp. Attack?
I don't think so. As far as "gimmick sets" go, we tend to avoid them because they have apparently little utility.

For this Darminitan, Life Orb Encourage Flare Blitz already wallbreaks things (to go along with decent coverage), and if you want a special attacking Pokemon to alternate targets, you might as well pair Darminitan up with Starmie or Latias...or something. Fire-type isn't very good defensively, so if Daruma mode gets into the <50% range, he'll still get revenge killed by faster attacks. And with that insufferable Speed, it isn't that hard to just outright attack it and kill its EVs.

How are Fire Punch and U-turn even slightly comparable? U-turn out of a steel-type to check for counters, kill them.

Meanwhile, Fire Punch is redundant with Flare Blitz, more recoil or no.

OU material for both forms. I suggest you get one in the main game and train it. Then get one post game with the RareCandyBar. The one with RareCandyBar has Daruma Mode. Now you'll have two. Onw with Daruma Mode and one normal one.

OU material for both forms. I suggest you get one in the main game and train it. Then get one post game with the RareCandyBar. The one with RareCandyBar has Daruma Mode. Now you'll have two. Onw with Daruma Mode and one normal one.
What? The form reverts after a battle.

Shouldn't Superpower be the main option over Eq on the choice sets? Due to the prevalence of Balloon users, having EQ over Superpower may actually be a liability since you are now unable to hit some of the Pokemon you would normally hit with EQ/Superpower. In addition to that, as you mentioned, SuperPower at least lets you hit levitating (and to a lesser extent, flying type) switch ins. Darmanitan is more of a Hit and run type Pokemon when running the choice sets so the drop in attack after Superpower doesn't hurt too much.

I personally find Superpower less viable on the Choice Scarf set as it doesn't do much damage after the first one hits, forcing Darmanitan out. And its just as easy to bring in a Ghost-typed Pokemon than it is a Ground-immune one. I've changed that on the Band/LO set.

I personally find Superpower less viable on the Choice Scarf set as it doesn't do much damage after the first one hits, forcing Darmanitan out. And its just as easy to bring in a Ghost-typed Pokemon than it is a Ground-immune one. I've changed that on the Band/LO set.
Quick question, doesn't Stone Edge get an Encourage boost? It has a secondary effect (increased critical hit ratio)...

Quick question, doesn't Stone Edge get an Encourage boost? It has a secondary effect (increased critical hit ratio)...
Increased critical hit ratio is not a secondary effect. At least, it isn't classified the same as the secondary effects that are affected by Sheer Force.

I would like to post a moveset I think is very viable.

Its name is Drumanitan

Darmanitan (Drumanitan) @ Salac Berry
Sheer Force, Jolly
4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
(Make sure Hp is divisible by 4, in this set it reaches 352)

Substitute
Belly Drum (See where I got the name?)
Fire Punch
Rock Slide / Earthquake

Switch in on something you would normally force out (Foretress, Scizor, Blissey)

Sub + Belly Drum

Salac Berry Activates

you have over 1500 attack and over 400 speed.

Sweep through the rest of your opponent's team

I'm not particularly high up on the ladder, but I've found this set to be very very potent. Many things ruin this set though, mainly weather, entry hazards and priority.

I mentioned this in OO, I believe. But yes, this set is ruined by weather, priority, and entry hazards. All of which are rather common. Especially priority. Which is why I didn't include it as a main set.

Life Orb should probably be the first slash on the Physical Attacker, since the difference of power between it and Choice Band isn't going to that big of a deal when you're sitting at 416 Attack, whereas the ability to switch attacks with no recoil is one of the biggest allures to using Darmanitan.

QC Approved 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)