December 25, 1998 - OU RMT

Again, consisting of 1st Generation Pokemon comes my latest and hopefully greatest attempt at an iconic team, this time sporting none of the 3 starter evolutions. This team compromises of completely unoriginal bog standard Pokes, with the exception of the Dragonite build I jacked from MetaNite. But I ditched that for a generic Starmie. So no.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

This is a typical lead I'm sure we've all seen. I, too, dislike relying on chance against other Aeros, but the fact of the matter is that I really wanted Stealth Rock on the team because I consider this team more offensive than most my teams (though it is significantly lacking in the Scarfzard department. I miss you poor guy!). Stops the other guys from setting up while I have always being able to set up Stealth Rock myself. My question is, is Focus Sash really that important on Aero?

Snorlax (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

This guys pretty cool. And by "pretty cool", I mean it counters Latias. CB Lax is a beast. Although it has high defense, I try to keep a heavy eye on it's imaginary health bar because he counters a lot of jizz and counters hard. 2HKOs Blissey. Don't really know what to do without that. Yes, I've seen a many Jirachi, Celebi, and even Starmie fall to this fat piece of ****. Goddamn Snorlax, you are a fat mother ******. This guy would never make it to the Marines, but that's ok because he still does his duty if eating teh other pogeys. Such as Skarmory.

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/108 Atk/100 Def /144 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

My second ground immunity dude (don't stop counting yet). Takes care of Heatran nicely, among other things. Now at one point or another I'm sure we've all been swept by a Gyarados who managed to get off one too many Dragon Dances. He really needs no introduction, because an introduction just wouldn't do this guy justice. Just look his face. He's pissed off and ****. Yes, we ALL know about this guy. But let me explain.

I switch this guy into some other guy that he scares away because the other, less masculine guy, decides he doesn't want to play chicken. Could be CB Gyarados. Who knows? Probably not though. In fact, it's not. It's a DD Gyarados. So yeah, when the other girly man (random Golem) switches out I fire off DD and BAM! they're like "oh ****" (unless they bring in a counter) and I proceed to Earthquake, Stone Edge, or Waterfall depending on who they bring in. Thinking about switching out SE for Ice Fang because I hate inaccurate moves/gives me someone else that can kill Celebi (paved the way for Mew wannabes such as Jirachi).

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Roar

Physical Wall, phazer, and my much needed answer to Scizor. Gives me a kill on Metagross and Bronzong as well. If it oops powers up Heatran, no problem. Let's gogo Snorlax!

Devil Dog (Jolteon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam

Does some pretty cool stuff. Revenge kills, hit Salamence hard, destroys Celebi, hits Gengar hard as well as absorbing Thunder/baiting ground attacks for the switch.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/156 Def/216 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Provides much needed Rapid Spin support and acts as the status absorber in this show. Fun fact: if they're left with only bulky waters, fire types, or flying types on their team when this guy thing shows up, it's usually "GG"! What we have here is... a defensive set because my team already seems to have not trouble on the offensive side and Stealth Rock really does screw my game up.

Loser squad (former Pokes):

Zeus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP/44 Spd/216 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Description: Go Dragonite! I was using a Chansey but that didn't work. Then I came to this. Extremely underestimated, completely unseen, support Dragonite is an amazing Pokemon. Latias has recently been brought into the metagame, and it largely outclasses this set. However resistance to Bug, and most of all access to Heal Bell makes this set more useful for me. When a pesky Rotom burns Snorlax when I try to Pursuit it, a Zapdos paralyzes my super Zapdos, its Dragonite to the rescue easily putting me back into the game.

I prefer going physical with Dragon Claw rather than Dragon Pulse. Makes no sense to be seeing as Dragonite has 236 SpA and 304 Atk. Zeus is king of the fallen Gods, Dragonite is dead to my team. His last 4 letters are Nite. Add on a "Meta" and it does indeed make "MetaNite", the inventor of this set's name.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 40 Atk/252 Spd/216 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Explosion

Gengar is still just as useful as he's always been to me, and I've never really used this crazy son of a ***** but I loved killing him with my Scarfzard. He made me feel good about myself. This thing also gives me self satisfaction, albeit it in much more moderate dosages. Can Revenge kill Latias most of the time. Focus Blast is for the Blissey's when the winner of the team, Snorlax, has done too much work for this team (though I hate the inaccuracy of the thing). I was debating Destiny Bond > Explosion because I just hate whiffing against ghosts and steels. I figured most ghosts in scary movies would be significantly cooler if they stopped trying to develope their ****** plot lines that suck and more time exploding and stuff. Also, I already have a fairly decent ghost revenge killer (Snorlax) and steels aren't too scary to this team either. Considering dropping this guy for a much more masculine and efficient Machamp.

Pretty solid team. I like the theme too. Dragonite is sort of a novelty, I'd recommend Celebi as it does the job better but doesn't fit the theme. Stealth Rocks dent this team too, so Starmie could help it out.

I also say you should look out for Mixnapes. They can dent this team besides Gengar. Speaking of Gengar, maube you could change the 6 EVs in HP to Attack to boost the power of Explosion.

8/10

Change Focus Punch to Focus Blast. If you don't have Substitute, Gengar absolutely cannot beat Blissey or Snorlax, and loses its ability to hit pokemon weak to fighting.

I would recommend the spread 40 Atk/252 Spd/216 SpA since it guarantees a KO on Blissey.

Also, I would recommend changing Gyarados to a bulkier mon; your team is not as Infernape weak as the guy said, but making Gyarados bulkier is pretty nice when he seems to be one of your best switch ins to Infernape (resisting everything except if he has T Punch or Stone Edge).

I am going to say I severely dislike having 4 pokemon weak to SR on one team. But I guess there isn't much you can do if you want to keep your theme. Running Starmie as a spinner could be quite beneficial.

Aerodactyl, gyarados, (probably zapdos, I'm not sure), and even dragonite (enough sp. def to survive hp ice and t-wave) can all beat mixape one on one, even if they may not trully be counters.
I like the dragonite. How well does it typically work out? You call it the king of your team, so I assume (and hope) that you mean it works out very well.
Dragonite is one of my favorite pokemon, and wish I could find a niche to use it competitively.
Other then zapdos, an agilligross (albeit uncommon) looks like it could seriously injure your team. Unless it has ice punch, dragonite should be able to survive and then cripple if it has a good amount of health, however.

Why dragon pulse over dragon claw?
Because dragon pulse has higher power (90 v. 80), but, more importantly, the pokemon that would generally be the target of dragonite's attack have much more defense then sp. def, likely making dragon pulse often able to outdamage dragon claw.
I'm not sure though; you could run damage calcs of your dragonite vs. the pokemon it is normally up against.

EDIT:
Both people who posted above me mentioned starmie, so I'll join the club. It would help tremendously if you can fit it in to help with the stealth rock weakness much of your team has, as well as also help cover infernape, if that really is a problem.
How well do you handle ice punch lucario?

I really, really dislike inaccurate moves such as Focus Blast... I was thinking maybe running Hidden Power [Ice] instead of Focus Blast/Punch. Or perhaps I could drop Explosion for Sub? Any other good alternatives?

And I'm guessing you all are suggesting switching out Dragonite for the Starmie? I'm only hesitant because of my natural fear of the Rotom appliances burning my Snorlax's ****, but yeah, Rapid Spin would most definitely be nice and 5 ground immunities kind of seems like overkill (though it definitely doesn't hurt).

Don't drop Explosion. You can still kill Blissey and Snorlax w/ Explosion, no need for Focus Punch.

How often do you see both on a team?

I'd argue that with that many ground immunities, you'd want a ground weak to give you better switch-ins. You'll never get to switch in on earthquakes if they'll never be using them anyways.

Starmie over Dragonite is a good idea, a defensive spinner would help ease that Stealth Rock weak and give you a status absorber with Natural Cure.

This team is wrecked by stealth rocks. I would recommend something like Starmie to get rid of it. I would even recommend something like Machamp who is resisted by stealth rock and annoys a whole lot of shiet.

Alright, dropped Dragonite for Starmie, got rid of Focus Punch for Focus Blast (I detest the inaccuracy of the thing... any alternatives?), bulked up Gyarados, and I'm considering dropping Gengar for a Machamp.

What say you, democracy of the Smogon?

I don't see any benefit keeping Gengar. But I also don't really see how Machamp can help you besides killing Blissey easier.

Maybe run Machamp a little more bulky if you're going to put him in your team.

Don't run the Rest-Talk set either >_>

A few things...

Snorlax wants Body Slam over return for the paralysis.

Your Gyrardos is begging for Taunt over Earthquake. You can still take care of Heatran with Waterfall, and it's not like it's staying in if you make that switch anyway. Earthquake also doesn't give you any additional coverage with Water/Rock. On top of that Taunt allows that set to beat Skarmory and other pokemon who will status it or Phaze it away.

Gyrardos (Your EV set is fine)
This thing can hold leftovers or Life Orb
-Taunt
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge

You can bring this in anytime during the game on something that will switch out, and that's a free DD. At this point, one of 2 things will happen. They'll bring in something with an electric attack or something vulnerable to taunt. If it's a Phazer or status inflicter, you taunt them, and then set up more dragon dances so you win. I do have an idea on what you can do if it's an electric attacker also, but you'll have to change gengar to this guy...

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Volt Absorb
Timid Nature (+ Speed, - Attack)
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Shadow Ball
-Signal Beam

You bring this guy in on that Celebi Thunderwave, that thunderbolt aimed at Gyrardos or Aerodacyl, and It heals 25% of your health. From there, you use shadow ball to scout (the most common switch in to this is rotom, who is destroyed by Shadow Ball from this). After you know what the switch-in is, you can use the SE attack. If you're opponent has no electric immunities or resistances left, you can start spamming Thunderbolt, which is a weapon of mass destruction on this thing.

This thing works with your team well because it's only weakness is ground, and you switch in one of the 27,000 ground immunities on your team. You can use HP grass over ice if you want, but HP Ice OHKO's dragons. Signal beam is here for celebi, but you can put baton pass there for scouting, although I wouldn't recommend it.

I switched Body Slam > Return, but I'm also going to want to bulking Snorlax up to combat Latias better. Thinking of going 176 HP/80 Atk/252 SDef so I am still guarenteed the kill, even in Sand Storm+Switching into Stealth Rock.

Would it be viable to switch SE out instead or no? I really hate the inaccuracy of the thing. >:(

I really like that Jolteon idea so I will use it. Should also make a suitable Latias revenge killer, no?

I see here problems with CursePert. Nothing on your team has grass attack and after 1-2 curses killing that guy will be hard as hell, especially when it's going to end alone. When Zapdos is dead, nothing stops it. For first, give Jolteon HP Grass, with Specs Offensive Salamence takes MINIMUM 75% from Thunderbolt, which is clear OHKO with SR up. Just for your note.

Anyway that team looks solid right now. Just pack somewhere grass attack for Swampert, it may be troublesome for your team. Also I see here DDTar weakness (but fortunately it's not that often), if it gets one Dragon Dance. And Aerodactyl will be often then before real DDtar sweep. Nothing on your team enjoys STAB Stone Edge and Starmie doesn't hit hard enough to really stop it, but I'm not sure how to fix it without destroying team synergy. Probably strange HP Fighting on Jolteon would help (I'm not sure that Signal Beam will hit hard enough), but on the other hand you won't have any grass attack. Just think about it. I hope that helped you a bit.

I switched Body Slam > Return, but I'm also going to want to bulking Snorlax up to combat Latias better. Thinking of going 176 HP/80 Atk/252 SDef so I am still guarenteed the kill, even in Sand Storm+Switching into Stealth Rock.

Would it be viable to switch SE out instead or no? I really hate the inaccuracy of the thing. >:(

I really like that Jolteon idea so I will use it. Should also make a suitable Latias revenge killer, no?
The Jolteon can help you against Latias as long as it doesn't have a calm mind boost and will be filling most of your revenge-killing duties with it's massive speed and special attack.

I know you don't like inaccurate moves that much, but stone edge is the best thing for Gyrardos because you need the power. Earthquake & Ice Fang or Waterfall & Stone Edge with Taunt and Dragon Dance gets you the best type coverage, but Waterfall and Stone Edge has so much more power and water has so much neutral coverage that you'll only be using stone edge when it's super effective.

As far as the swampert problems go, you can put HP grass over roar on your Zapdos if he's that huge a problem.

As far as the swampert problems go, you can put HP grass over roar on your Zapdos if he's that huge a problem.
Without Roar Curselax is even worse with much higher Special Defence and no x4 glaring weakness. So I think that HP Grass on Jolteon in better option. At least for me.

I didn't make that Dragonite set. Or I don't remember making it. I just seem to be the only one who uses it, now there's 2 of us!

You have a really solid team. Some things I do think you should try is Crunch > Pursuit on Snorlax, and maybe SuperPower. You get an OHKO on Blissey and Tyranitar. Another option is Return, which does loads of damage.

Ice Fang is really only for Celebi on Gyarados, and it still isn't guaranteed you beat it. Stone Edge is usually better so you can hit enemy Zapdos who would otherwise kill you. An alternate EV spread is 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe Jolly. Let's you outspeed Jolteon after a Dragon Dance so you don't have to worry about it revenge killing you, however since you already have one, it may not be a threat.

On Jolteon, since you have Signal Beam for Grass types (namely Celebi), and Thunderbolt does 75%+ to Salamence you don't have a big need for HP Ice. If you change it to Grass, you can get rid of very annoying Swampert. I find it more useful.

Good luck with your team.

After a quick glance, the biggest weakness I can see from this team is that nothing can take a rock attack at all. I'd probablly fit a bulky rock resist somewhere to handle this somewhat, maybe Golem/Rhydon/ Rest Talk Machamp over something. Machamp would probablly be the best pick since it isn't weak to EQ ( acommon partner to SE) and has good synergy with Zapdos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)