Defining the NU Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would this be faulty? By that definition, even if Obi's plan is put into action UU would still be faulty because we haven't applied the process to OU. That's also a lot like claiming that we would have to go through Obi's proposal every single time an OU Pokemon drops below the 75% cut-off point.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If anyone's interested, I'm working on an out-of-site Freewebs page for a tournament as umbarsc suggested. It should be completely up and running in a few days as I work on it piece by piece (between homework assignments and crap >_> ). So yeah, we should persevere and get this going.

If anyone's interested, I'm working on an out-of-site Freewebs page for a tournament as umbarsc suggested. It should be completely up and running in a few days as I work on it piece by piece (between homework assignments and crap >_> ). So yeah, we should persevere and get this going.
What's the site called? I'm probably going to enter in it.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Actually, I might be able to go ahead and post the URL later.

In addition to having a home page, rules page, etc, we have a nice calendar for deadlines, and I'm planning on including a forum to go with it for after the tournament for the discussion of specific Pokemon and other things that would be too confusing if we all just left it in the thread. So yeah, count on some very cool things.

EDIT;; So, just a couple of other things. When I post the URL, sign-ups are officially open. Of course, sign-up information will be on the site, just to make sure you've read everything.

The forum I have planned will be open during the tournament, but it's mostly for after. Again, it's to keep everything organized and you will be able to create topics on what you think should be banned, general discussion topics, and your general thoughts and opinions. Cynthia has volunteered to be the log keeper and make stats as well.

Most of all, having a site would be beneficial in the long run. As we develop the metagame and the two new tiers, information and articles can be posted for permanent viewing...after all, we're going to be holding multiple tournaments as we ban things along, right?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I apologize for the double post.

Ok, I don't know is anyone's paying attention here anymore with the big Platinum news and Garchomp to ubers and blablablabla.....

However, the site's right here!
I hope you guys like it. The mini-forum's down for now, there's a bunch of stupid problems with it.....

Official sign-ups are starting now, and the deadline is in a week to accomodate as many people as possible and to give people time to build teams.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Question: In the Website list, why isn't Kricketune part of NU? I must be missing the rise in Kricketune usage, lol.
Wow, I didn't notice that. I just copied and pasted a list that appeared in this thread. xD Thanks a lot for letting me know!

(I'll probably go over it again later in case I'm missing anything, so...yeah. >_>)

EDIT;; Stupid Freewebs formatting....I'm like OCD over those huge spaces, and even recopying and pasting the list with those Pokemon included doesn't work...oh well.

EDIT 2;; Wow, the URL hasn't even been posted for 24 hours, and nearly a third of the spots have already been filled. Hooray!

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just to tell you, this tournament is going to accomplish nothing.

This is using a UU list that will eventually be scrapped, since we are rebuilding UU.

You might not like it, but that is the reality. You are making a "NU" tournament from an "NU" list based on a "UU" list that will soon be discarded and changed drastically.

This "NU" is basically going to be an arbitrary metagame, and will NOT be recognized by Smogon.

So essentially, if you say you are going to make this anyway, this is more advertising for your site than helping Smogon.

Just to tell you, this tournament is going to accomplish nothing.

This is using a UU list that will eventually be scrapped, since we are rebuilding UU.

You might not like it, but that is the reality. You are making a "NU" tournament from an "NU" list based on a "UU" list that will soon be discarded and changed drastically.

This "NU" is basically going to be an arbitrary metagame, and will NOT be recognized by Smogon.

So essentially, if you say you are going to make this anyway, this is more advertising for your site than helping Smogon.
Or maybeeee someone doesn't wanna wait forever for an "organized NU tier list" and is trying to test things out according to the current stats of the UU ladder. It might not "acheive" anything, but it's nice to see someone is trying to spark some fire down there in the mysterious NU.

Signing up.

A test tournament like this couldn't hurt though, right? I mean, even if the list isn't anywhere close to correct, its just more testing results that can be looked at.

I understand that this won't be looked at as something important, but it could at least be considered as something that isn't negative.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
For one, nobody's doing it to get recognized or for any prestige. So this whole "Smogon won't recognize it" and "using this thread solely for advertising" isn't cutting it.

So maybe it won't accomplish anything of importance (at least to you). So what? The fact that nearly half the spots were filled (edit;; now, exactly half) in the first 24 hours attests to the fact that people are sick of the constant changes and mess that not only plague UU, but also OU. No one can deny that in the coming months, OU will also shift far more than merely banning Garchomp, so you cannot accuse this of being completely faulty and arbitrary on basis of something else not being concrete.
In short, you act as if the problems are just in UU, and that only it and by extension, "NU" are messed up.

Most of all, however, people are willing to try a new metagame and *gasp* actually have fun. I don't see why you'd have a problem with it, especially since we're not hosting it on Smogon. We just have this thread here, and that's it. Why don't you accept that we're having one? It's not as if we're going up in your face and bothering you about it. We're not actively using this to push for Smogon to recognize the NU tier; from the very beginning, you were pretty hostile about the whole thing anyways. What you're saying and your reactions in general aren't news at all.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I see nothing wrong with using this tournament to test stuff related to NU. If anything, perhaps we can use data from this to predict if stuff will be in NU when we correct the UU and BL tiers.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There isn't any predicting what is NU or not though. We're just using our 75% lines down the tiers.

What this tournament is doing simply by existing is attempting to validate the current UU tier. We're already appeasing people by allowing the current UU ladder along with our future BL / NFE allowed ladder.

I mean, I have no issue with an arbitrary tournament hosted simply for the sake of fun, but I really hope that no one will make any statements regarding NU in the future using the information gathered from this tournament.

There will be 40 BL Pokemon unbanned in UU, and at least 10 significant NFEs, which I am guessing will significantly alter UU as we know it.

I'm just afraid that people will either

a.) say they already began testing NU and we shouldn't force a new metagame on them (like they are complaining now)

b.) use their information gathered in an NU metagame molded by the current UU to influence decisions on an NU metagame molded by the new UU (certain persons in this thread have already claimed they have experience using NU Pokemon in the UU environment, and are attempting to pass that off as acceptable experience)

As long as the above two don't occur, I'm fine with it and I'm sorry if I seemed "hostile" or whatever. (even though most people I have talked to regarding Age of Kings' post agree that he is just spouting nonsense lol)

Well I'm proud to say that I have had experience with using NU pokes in UU but this is by far not what I'd call experience using them though.

Aldaron is right. Accept that this will be a completely arbitrary tournament and stop acting like idiots.
Being a mod does not give you the right to flame people. Your random trolling of this thread is not useful in any fashion.

Anyway, this tournament is to see how a potential NU metagame might work. Yes, I realize it is before the great UU/BL combination that still has no designated beginning date, but that doesn't mean it has no value whatsoever. No one said anything about forcing these statistics or trying to make this into a permananent tier. Some people need to stop being such fanatics about the UU/BL tier thing, just because it might happen in the future doesn't mean we should act like the current UU doesn't even exist.

And there's no advertising going on here whatsoever. The site was created for the sole purpose of hosting the tournament, and I find it extremely rude that you would say such things Aldaron. Age of Kings and I are simply testing out what current NU would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)