Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least unlike m-absol, diancie has the bulk to abuse it

and hey, wasn't one of the arguments for the swagger ban that "everything with magic bouncs is weak to foul play"...?

Now we've got:
- 2 with mold breaker
- 3 with tough claws (if you count m-metagross which still seems to be up in the air a bit)
- 3 with magic bounce
- 2 with levitate
- 2 with huge/pure power

duplicate abilities are nothing new
It's just starting to feel a bit derivative is all I'm saying. Like they had a pool of 8 or 9 good abilities and said "these are for megas don't give them anything else".

I'm glad it's making mega Diancie look more than usable but it's beginnimg to make megas as a whole feel a bit one note.

Diamond Storm is so ridiculously spammable its not even funny. Random Defense boosts from it come in handy, but too bad its physical movepool and speed are so poor. Its typing has been helping me out a lot too and since so many teams carry a sand user, Its super hard to take down without steel moves.

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

I feel like these two might work well together. Scizor covers Diancie's steel weakness, whilst Diancie gives 0 fucks about fire type attacks.

I can see why Victory Road was created now. Such a incredible deduction.
idk, i'm actually kind of inclined to agree with him, at least about non-mega Diancie. Her base HP is TERRIBLE - her collective bulk is pretty much the same as any 100/100/100 out there, and at least all of those have good speed. That said, Diancie has several important resistances and that important dragon immunity, which is great. Unfortunately, she isn't something you can switch into with impunity like a Ferro or Chansey.

It'll be really interesting to see which direction GF wants to go with the mega, as far as stats are concerned. I'd go nuts for something like 50/110/180/115/180/65, as a spread like that actually justifies a defensive set, perhaps using resttalk. it would also allow for some interesting experimental sets. base 65 speed is great for a RP boosting set, and diancie would have the mixed attacking stats, bulk, and impressive special movepool to make it happen, along with magic bounce to dodge crippling status ailments.

idk, i'm actually kind of inclined to agree with him, at least about non-mega Diancie. Her base HP is TERRIBLE - her collective bulk is pretty much the same as any 100/100/100 out there, and at least all of those have good speed. That said, Diancie has several important resistances and that important dragon immunity, which is great. Unfortunately, she isn't something you can switch into with impunity like a Ferro or Chansey.

It'll be really interesting to see which direction GF wants to go with the mega, as far as stats are concerned. I'd go nuts for something like 50/110/180/115/180/65, as a spread like that actually justifies a defensive set, perhaps using resttalk. it would also allow for some interesting experimental sets. base 65 speed is great for a RP boosting set, and diancie would have the mixed attacking stats, bulk, and impressive special movepool to make it happen, along with magic bounce to dodge crippling status ailments.
Judging by the previous posts, we were talking about the Mega.

And honestly I was more pointing out the fact that saying "such and such wont' be OU because" and then listing a single reason is not a good argument. You could apply the same logic to Tyrannitar, Heatran, Charizard, etc and say they can't be OU because they each have a quad weakness. The sentiment behind the post is perfectly valid, the actual example was not.

Hence my bit of sarcasm.

Judging by the previous posts, we were talking about the Mega.

And honestly I was more pointing out the fact that saying "such and such wont' be OU because" and then listing a single reason is not a good argument. You could apply the same logic to Tyrannitar, Heatran, Charizard, etc and say they can't be OU because they each have a quad weakness. The sentiment behind the post is perfectly valid, the actual example was not.

Hence my bit of sarcasm.
True, but ironically, your jab at him had a similar effect. I already pointed out why I don't think Diancie (at this point) will break into OU. The important thing is to be specific and detailed, just like you said.

M-Diancie is going to have some definite problems in OU thanks to its typing. Sure you get some cool resistances like flying, fire, dark and a dragon immunity but you're also fighting neutral, quad weak to steel, weak to water, grass, and ground. You can hardly capitalize on rock's spdef boost in sand since Diance already has tons of weaknesses and both sand setters overlap heavily. However we're still looking at a 50/150+/150+ spread on defence, and potentially 100+ offences as well. Magic bounce gives it a soft immunity to status, and it's for once a magic bounce user that can really abuse its ability with bulk and resistances. I'm guessing it'll be delegated to BL, with a lot of teetering against UU.

M-Diancie is going to have some definite problems in OU thanks to its typing. Sure you get some cool resistances like flying, fire, dark and a dragon immunity but you're also fighting neutral, quad weak to steel, weak to water, grass, and ground. You can hardly capitalize on rock's spdef boost in sand since Diance already has tons of weaknesses and both sand setters overlap heavily. However we're still looking at a 50/150+/150+ spread on defence, and potentially 100+ offences as well. Magic bounce gives it a soft immunity to status, and it's for once a magic bounce user that can really abuse its ability with bulk and resistances. I'm guessing it'll be delegated to BL, with a lot of teetering against UU.
I think the bigger question about Diancie in general is her movepool since at the moment it forces her to run mixed to utilize both STABs and with her average atk stats on both spectrums and in mega form without any item to boost it I don't see her going BL, especially with a lack of recovery. I see her as needing just as much support as she can provide herself. However, given that she is an event mon and one they are trying to hype up maybe her appeal will give her access to some much needed movepool options.

I think the bigger question about Diancie in general is her movepool since at the moment it forces her to run mixed to utilize both STABs and with her average atk stats on both spectrums and in mega form without any item to boost it I don't see her going BL, especially with a lack of recovery. I see her as needing just as much support as she can provide herself. However, given that she is an event mon and one they are trying to hype up maybe her appeal will give her access to some much needed movepool options.
Possibly, however since she's primarily defensive with equal offences going mixed isn't a big deal unless you were planning a 252hp AV set and not using the Diancite. There's also still the power gem possibility (or ancient power lol sure) for full special, as diamond storm has such low PP.

What I don't understand from gamefreak is the ability choice. Here you have a princess pokemon. This princess pokemon has a signature rock stab that gives a 50% chance of boosting defence and a fairy stab with a chance of boosting spdef edit: lowering the enemy's special attack (sorry thought of it in backwards terms). the pokemon also has equal offences to use these two stabs with and equal defences to boost. It's slow and has low hp, while having massive defence and usable attack. Why not give M-Diancie serence grace?

But I digress, no point talking about hypotheticals. Ultimately Diancie looks like a very otherwise sturdy semi-offensive tank that's hindered by its weaknesses and lack of any recovery. It'd be usable but it doesn't seem to have a particularly stand out niche. At the most it's the only magic bounce user with hazards as well as the bulkiest one, at the least it's a very sturdy dual screens user immune to taunt with a small bit of offensive presence. It's got very common weaknesses and the resistances it has are supplemented by weaknesses to its resistances' most common coverage moves. flying and dragon for instance? weak to ground so it can't handle garchomp, Mpinsir or most Xzard.

Of course this could all potentially change depending on how her mega evolution's stat spread is distributed. For all we know she could end up a bulky rock polish sweeper.

Instead of theorymoning I'm gonna stick to the actual Dianice we have in the meta right now...

So far he seems decent. I'm playing mine like Heatran (diamond storm/moonblast/toxic/stealth rocks with a specially defensive spread). The difference between Diancie and Heatran is that Dancie can check all CharX:

+1 252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 252-298 (83.1 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You still need prior damage to KO with diamond storm however:

0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 198-234 (66.4 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Overall not a bad mon. Has some potential, and I could see some CM sets gaining popularity.

Instead of theorymoning I'm gonna stick to the actual Dianice we have in the meta right now...

So far he seems decent. I'm playing mine like Heatran (diamond storm/moonblast/toxic/stealth rocks with a specially defensive spread). The difference between Diancie and Heatran is that Dancie can check all CharX:

+1 252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 252-298 (83.1 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You still need prior damage to KO with diamond storm however:

0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 198-234 (66.4 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Overall not a bad mon. Has some potential, and I could see some CM sets gaining popularity.
I'm not seeing how a pokemon that is outsped and 2HKO'd (68.8% OHKO after stealth rock) is checking Charizard-X. All you're doing is gambling on whether or not it has EQ. Sure if it doesn't have EQ you're straight countering it (assuming that diamond storm doesn't miss because if it does it can 2HKO with flareblitz and rocks up;
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 151-178 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and leftovers recovery)
but if it does have EQ you're straight up losing one of your pokemon.

I think calm mind could be a potential option, but all it has for coverage that we know of right now is psychic and hidden power. Sure magic bounce would allow mega Diance to pull off a slow build boosting set like calm mind, but you're still going to be as threatening as a piece of tissue paper with your best bet for getting by steel types being hidden power fire or ground. regular Diancie could use weakness policy combined with rock polish, could have be an interesting option for a mixed late game sweeper, but you're so slow even with +2 and you're still hindered by that awful coverage. You could do a bulky attacker with assault vest, but again what's the point of a bulky attacker without the coverage to threaten the most defensively oriented type and backbone of most defensive cores? Diancie honestly looks like it could be usable as a stealth rock/dual screens/explosion lead for hyper offence teams however. It has the bulk to forego focus sash for light clay.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Yeah I've been hearing a bit about something along the lines of a set similar to Crocune and Crophy with moonblast. Not really sure exactly how it plays out since I haven't used it myself but it seems like it could be worth a mention. I feel Diancie as a rock setter isn't that great personally and a lot of carefree people are overestimating it's bulk when they lead it out. Granted it's going to change in time but Diancie on teams have been very obvious rock setters from what I've seen.

Yeah I've been hearing a bit about something along the lines of a set similar to Crocune and Crophy with moonblast. Not really sure exactly how it plays out since I haven't used it myself but it seems like it could be worth a mention.
I tried a set similar to the Cresselia CM Set, and I found it thoroughly disappointing.
The only set I've had success with thus far is an Assault Vest set, lol, which felt like such a waste on Diancie.
I wish Diamond Storm were a special attack, lol.

Cresselia-Esque Set:
Diancie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

Salted Vest:
Diancie @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Not much thought went into either set, lol. But the assault vest set fit very easily into both teams I tried it on. Not a game-changing set, but not a terrible set.

I do plan on trying a Crocune-Esque set, though. I feel like that'll have more success than either of those.

For anyone wondering the set;

Diancie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast / Psyshock / Psychic I don't even know what other decent special moves this thing gets lol

Diamond Storm, y u no special attack?!

Here's a set I've been using all day (still need to test Diancie a LOT more):

Diancie @ Life Orb
EVs: 44 Atk / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Mild Nature
- Rock Polish
- Diamond Storm
- Psychic
- Moonblast

Offensive Diancie is surprisingly not as bad as I would've assumed. It also packs quite the Speed after a Rock Polish, the current EVs allow it to outspeed Greninja by one point (and OHKO it for that matter). Diamond Storm is an obvious move, if only this thing got a Special Rock-type move, and it has been... ok. It's honestly not that often I get a Defense boost (at least my luck, anyways). Psychic is just to hit Mega Venusaur:
252+ SpA Life Orb Diancie Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 200-237 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Which can be handy, although Giga Drain renders it pointless anywho. Moonblast hits really hard, even from just 100 SpA, it's really not to be underestimated. Overall, after my testing today, I can say that Diancie is not as underwhelming as assumed but not really that amazing.

Wondering how good/ bad this theoretical set is.

EVs are just random but:

Diancie~ Leftovers

Impish/ Careful

~ Stealth Rock
~ Diamond Storm
~ Toxic
~ Explosion/Reflect/Light Screen

252 HP/ 252 SpD / 4 Atk

I guess this would just be a very bulky addition to you team, but with a little bit of oopf thanks to Diamond Storm. Explosion isn't really as useful as it once was, so Reflect or Light Screen should probably be considered over Explosion. This move set is just frustrating though. Wonderful offensive physical STAB in Diamond Storm, nothing else in it's physical move pool... Well at least it has Moonblast right? Well yeah but it's special movepool is just as bad. Best you can do there is Moonblast/ Ancient Power and Hidden Power something. At least it's supporting movepool isn't terrible. It'd be nice if it at least got both STABs on the same side. Maybe we'll get some tutors in ORAS?

I'm not seeing how a pokemon that is outsped and 2HKO'd (68.8% OHKO after stealth rock) is checking Charizard-X. All you're doing is gambling on whether or not it has EQ. Sure if it doesn't have EQ you're straight countering it (assuming that diamond storm doesn't miss because if it does it can 2HKO with flareblitz and rocks up;
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 151-178 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and leftovers recovery)
but if it does have EQ you're straight up losing one of your pokemon.
5% miss isn't exactly huge (less of a chance than you getting crit, and no one ever factors crits into their calcs).

Besides, I was using special defense Diancie with 0 def EVs. If you really want to check CharX that have earthquake, run a phys. defense spread. Now you check CharX all the time, even with rocks up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)