Ditto (QC Approved 0/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
WAIT UNTIL RELEASED TO QC/GP

Ditto
==================================
QC Approval: 0/2 [NONE][NONE]
QC Rejection: 0/2 [NONE][NONE]
Grammar/Prose Check: 0/2 [NONE][NONE]
==================================
[Overview]
<p>Throughout the past four generations of Pokemon, Ditto has been mocked for its horrible offensive capabilities. In the GSC generation, Ditto finally found a purpose through its ability to breed with any and every Pokemon. Since then Ditto has been known as a renown lover, yet still mocked for its inability to battle effectively. This generation has graced Ditto with the chance it had been yearning for since RBY, the ability of Eccentric. Through its new ability, Ditto no longer has to waste a turn in order to transform into its foe. While this seems somewhat basic in thought, in actuality it gives Ditto the potential to be the best revenge killer in the game. Ditto can easily switch into any number of Pokemon and copy the opposing Pokemons moves, ability, stats (aside from HP), and any stat boosts that the opposing Pokemon has gathered up until that point.</p>

[SET]
name: The Best Set Ever
move 1: Transform
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Fire
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
ivs: 2 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p></p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

Set Comments

• This is really the best set that Ditto can do.
  • Transforms into the opposing Pokemon and gains their stats and moves.

Additional Comments

• Best used in a revenge killer situation as to give it the best chance to use Transform.
  • Leftovers in order to give Ditto some survivability.
  • Choice Scarf will allow Ditto to choose another move after using Transform. This will make Ditto faster than the opposing Pokemon allowing it to normally attack first.
  • Focus Sash normally guarantees that Ditto can Transform into the opponent, but it could possibly leave Ditto at 1 HP relying on a Speed tie to even damage the opponent.

Teammates & Counters

• Encorers can make great teammates for Ditto, as they can encore the opposing Pokemon into a stat boosting move and Ditto can switch in mid-encore in order to gain the boost and Transform in safety. Letting Ditto gain the stat boost can be easily countered by switching out the Pokemon that is setting up, however Ditto will still be able to Transform in safety.
  • Ditto's main problem is that it has to waste a turn using Transform, making it completely vulnerable for one turn. During this time Ditto can often be beaten or take serious damage from nearly any Pokemon because of its lackluster 48/48/48 defense.

[Team Options]

• Encorers can make great teammates for Ditto, as they can encore the opposing Pokemon into a stat boosting move and Ditto can switch in mid-encore in order to gain the boost and Transform in safety. The best example of this is Wobbuffet, who can also trap Pokemon with its Shadow Tag ability.

[Optional Changes]

• Quick Powder can be used over any of the listed items. While this will let Ditto get a fast Transform it is not recommended as Ditto loses the speed boost after it transforms.

[Counters]

• Taunters.
  • Anything that can do really damage to it before it can transform.
  • Anything that can counter the Pokemon it has transformed into.

[Dream World]

• Eccentric allows Ditto to transform as soon as it is switched in, so it no longer has to waste a turn using Transform.
  • While Ditto might not seem like a fighter, once it gets its Dream World ability it will be one of the most prominent Revenge Killers in the game when using Choice Scarf.
  • Because Ditto transforms on switch in, no nature or EVs besides HP are needed.
  • Because of its sheer versatility, Ditto is able to fit well on virtually any team.

Not the most obvious thing about Ditto sets actually: you DO need to worry about the IVs.

Why?
It's a little unexpected: Hidden Power.

"But Ditto can't USE Hidden Power."
Ditto will transform into whatever Pokemon it's sent out against right?
More than once, I've sent out an Eccentric Scarfed Ditto against a Magnezone. Every Magnezone has carried Hidden Power [Fire]. Problem? When Ditto transforms, it DOESN'T COPY IVs, and thus it maintains it's own Hidden Power. So I was attacking with a Base 70 Hidden Power [Dark] against a Steel Type. I was immediately spanked by Hidden Power [Fire].

What does this mean? It means you actually SHOULD think about what Hidden Power you want Ditto to use against HP users. Keep in mind... there are problems with this. Depending on the set, you may have redundant coverage (for Example: in the Magnezone example, Hidden Power [Electric]). You also want to be wary of Types that may be immune like Ghost, Electric, Ground, and the especially useless Poison.

Another thing about Ditto is when you run 252 EV's in HP (this should be always), you effectively have a base HP stat of 80 with no investment, so you can actually be a better version of the pokemon your transforming into with < base 80 HP, except for the fact that you 5 PP in every move. I thought that might be interesting, considering you could be a Shuckle with 56 more HP.

Not the most obvious thing about Ditto sets actually: you DO need to worry about the IVs.

Why?
It's a little unexpected: Hidden Power.

"But Ditto can't USE Hidden Power."
Ditto will transform into whatever Pokemon it's sent out against right?
More than once, I've sent out an Eccentric Scarfed Ditto against a Magnezone. Every Magnezone has carried Hidden Power [Fire]. Problem? When Ditto transforms, it DOESN'T COPY IVs, and thus it maintains it's own Hidden Power. So I was attacking with a Base 70 Hidden Power [Dark] against a Steel Type. I was immediately spanked by Hidden Power [Fire].

What does this mean? It means you actually SHOULD think about what Hidden Power you want Ditto to use against HP users. Keep in mind... there are problems with this. Depending on the set, you may have redundant coverage (for Example: in the Magnezone example, Hidden Power [Electric]). You also want to be wary of Types that may be immune like Ghost, Electric, Ground, and the especially useless Poison.
Eccentric/Transform do copy IVs, as far as I'm aware. PO just doesn't display the new Hidden Power type (as you wouldn't know in-game).

You should mention Smeargle, who overall is a better user of Transform...
As far as I'm aware, Ditto doesn't actually use Transform. Eccentric transforms it anyways.

EDIT: Oops sorry i wasn't aware that eccentric ditto hadn't came out. oops -_-

As far as I'm aware, the only disadvantage to eccentric ditto over limber ditto is that it can be paralysed in its base ditto form. This is a moot point since it would never be in base ditto form and the paralysis immunity of limber ditto is lost anyway upon transformation because of the ability change. so essentially there is no real disadvantage to using eccentric ditto over its non-DW counterpart. I just felt I needed to mention this

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Eccentric/Transform do copy IVs, as far as I'm aware. PO just doesn't display the new Hidden Power type (as you wouldn't know in-game).
It doesn't. I tested this in game with Hidden Power Fire Giratina-O. A transformed Ditto had a different Hidden Power, though I don't remember what it was exactly.

PO DOES display Hidden Power Type. In my case Versus Magnezone, he had Hidden Power Fire, and while I copied Hidden Power, my own IV set (31 in everything) gave HP Dark with a Base Power of 70. I did not copy his HP type, so I assume the IVs were not copied.

I have no idea for the actual game: although I would hope PO copies the game in that respect.

PO DOES display Hidden Power Type. In my case Versus Magnezone, he had Hidden Power Fire, and while I copied Hidden Power, my own IV set (31 in everything) gave HP Dark with a Base Power of 70. I did not copy his HP type, so I assume the IVs were not copied.

I have no idea for the actual game: although I would hope PO copies the game in that respect.
Thirding this. IVs are not copied. You should probably change your Hidden Power type to Ice for the most coverage, without losing a speed IV.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As far as I'm aware, the only disadvantage to eccentric ditto over limber ditto is that it can be paralysed in its base ditto form. This is a moot point since it would never be in base ditto form and the paralysis immunity of limber ditto is lost anyway upon transformation because of the ability change. so essentially there is no real disadvantage to using eccentric ditto over its non-DW counterpart. I just felt I needed to mention this
Yes, but Eccentric Ditto is not allowed yet as it is not released in Dream World yet.

Thirding this. IVs are not copied. You should probably change your Hidden Power type to Ice for the most coverage, without losing a speed IV.
I will change this later, in fact I have a whole entire write up ready. I had put this on hold, as I am not supposed to focus it around Eccentric Ditto. I was also told that I should hold off till it is released. That is why the OP has not been fixed.

IK Eccentric Ditto isn't up yet, but i just felt like posting a paragraph on its only "disadvantage" because no one mentioned it on the thread yet

Technically, the Hidden Power thing applies whether Eccentric is a factor or not, and thus it should be mentioned either way. :0 If that happens later, fine, but it should still go up on this analysis, Eccentric or otherwise.

for the dreamworld section, id mention that Ditto cant transform into a transformed ditto on the opposing side of the field.

That's Dream World. It's already noted in its section.

31/31/31/30/31/31 should be its IVs, no matter what, even without Eccentric, for Hidden Power Ice 70, as it can still have max HP, defenses, and speed.

(The attack and special attack really don't matter as long as it's compatible with Hidden Power Ice 70 and 31 HP/defenses/speed.)

31/31/31/30/31/31 should be its IVs, no matter what, even without Eccentric, for Hidden Power Ice 70, as it can still have max HP, defenses, and speed.

(The attack and special attack really don't matter as long as it's compatible with Hidden Power Ice 70 and 31 HP/defenses/speed.)
Hidden Power type is a matter of preference. For example, use Yogi Bear's situation, you would rather have HP Fire than HP Ice, for the simple fact you can come in after he KO's one of your pokemon (probably a steel type) trap him with his own magnet pull and proceed to neuter him with it. Come to think of it, I can't see the use of using HP Ice at all except for Zapdos.

EDIT: Thinking about this further, I think HP Ground would be best. It hits most users of HP better than most types, such as Ulgamoth, Magnezone, Infernape to name a few.

Hidden Power type is a matter of preference. For example, use Yogi Bear's situation, you would rather have HP Fire than HP Ice, for the simple fact you can come in after he KO's one of your pokemon (probably a steel type) trap him with his own magnet pull and proceed to neuter him with it. Come to think of it, I can't see the use of using HP Ice at all. (Zapdos?)
Does Eccentric copy abilities, and if it does, wil it trap Magnezone? Cuz I've switched in on a Shandera and watched it switch out

Does Eccentric copy abilities, and if it does, wil it trap Magnezone? Cuz I've switched in on a Shandera and watched it switch out
Eccentric, like Transform, copies everything. Stats (not HP), ablilities, and moveset are all copied. IV's are kept for a reference to the Hidden Power Formula, but no longer affect stats once Ditto transforms. (again, except HP)

I am pretty sure that if two Steel Magnet Pull users are on the field, neither can leave until one is KO'd. Shadow Tag is different in that it traps everything except other pokemon with Shadow Tag. I think they did this so that there couldn't be two Wobbuffet on the field or something.

Ditto

/me huggles

That spread doesn't give HP Ice it gives HP Electric.

Hidden Power type is a matter of preference. For example, use Yogi Bear's situation, you would rather have HP Fire than HP Ice, for the simple fact you can come in after he KO's one of your pokemon (probably a steel type) trap him with his own magnet pull and proceed to neuter him with it. Come to think of it, I can't see the use of using HP Ice at all except for Zapdos.

EDIT: Thinking about this further, I think HP Ground would be best. It hits most users of HP better than most types, such as Ulgamoth, Magnezone, Infernape to name a few.
I am thinking that the 3 hidden powers listed will be Ice, Fire, and Ground.

Yes it does, however Shadow Tag pokemon can switch out of other Shadow Tag pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)