does anyone wish they were called by there smogon user name irl

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This meme was always on the information screen in my school's therapy waiting room

It's a mixed bag for me. I've been using this name since my age was in the single digits so it's really an "alter ego" I've always had. The few Smogoners I've met in real life just called me "Hula" and I thought that was totally natural. On the other hand there are people I've only known online and I found it weird when they called me that and told them I really prefer they just use my real name.

I think it depends on the specific name more than anything. "BP" is just one of many two-letter nicknames like AJ, DW, JK, etc. Not really that weird. Calling you "Broken Phobias" would be pretty weird though.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
rare non-goof smogoff post from me:

i don't know about wishing to be called it, but i was having a convesations recently about how this handle feels more like "my name" than my given name (it predates smogon)

it's a bit odd; i don't think i'd ever let myself name myself bc i don't know if it would feel genuine to me, but i know that lots of people go through ~identity changes~ and have to find their own names

maybe it's to do w the ways you connect/are connected with online; sometimes people have more earnest connections on the internet, or reveal things about themselves here they wouldn't in their offline circles. i suspect this is the opposite of how most people characterise online relationships!

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
this is so interesting to me; from my experience hanging out with smogon friends we referred to each other by our real names
also yeah to completely contradict my post and add onto this: when i got to know people on irc i would enjoy transitioning to their given names over their handles, bc it felt more personal and like a trust boundary had moved. the internet was v idfferent then tho; i think lots of people are more cagey

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
probably about to doxx myself but whatever

I said it before in a thread from many years ago but my username is just my first initial and my last name. P. Hoopes turned into phoopes lol

So my username is really more of a part of me than most people I think. Especially because in real life (especially on sports teams that I was on) people would call me “P-Hoopes” all the time, which would sometimes evolve into the “foops” sound that I assume most of you pronounce my name as. Like it’s such a part of my identity that I sign my name as “P-Hoopes” for some unimportant, non-legal things sometimes. Like for example i graffitied my name at a local bar back in 2018

1617133967197.jpeg

It’s the same bar that I work at now actually lol

but yeah that was kind of an over share/earnestpost but my username is important to me because it really is basically just my real name. So I don’t mind being called it in real life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)