Does the humor have a limit or free will?

Mike Mendis answered to a website the question: "What is the limit, or is there a limit, to humor?"

When humour is done artfully and tastefully, there are no limits. All topics are fair game. However, when done poorly and in bad taste, so-called "jokes" can come across as offensive. As long as humour serves as social commentary, as long as it sheds light on something that is fundamentally true about human nature, it is acceptable, no matter what the topic. If it is mean-spirited, nasty, demeaning, then it is not acceptable, regardless of the topic.

The most successful comedians are the ones who make us laugh at our own weaknesses (and at human weakness in general). They make us realize that we are all human, and that humans are not perfect. We can accept human nature with all its weaknesses and quirks and foibles more easily if we can see the funny side of these weaknesses and quirks and foibles. Our weaknesses somehow become more tolerable because they are cast in a humourous light. Humour helps us not to take human weaknesses too seriously

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to start a discussion on this topic as it is a hotly debated topic, especially when it comes to famous comedians and their famous jokes.

Our life will always have a limit, in the case of the joke, this limit must be moral. Being a comedy doesn't mean it's positive or good for the listener. Black and blond, thin and fat, homosexual and transgender people go through frequent stereotypes. Many say every blonde is stupid, every black guy is a poor guy, every homosexual likes to get attention, every thin person is anorexic, every fat person is a beached whale, but is that true?

The joke will only be funny to the comedian if he is not part of the historical context. In the end, jokes often only reinforce bad historical events for certain groups, but there is the mistake of always wanting to romanticize something that is not to be romanticized, because unfortunately it is still very much portrayed in our current society. You end up reproducing the speech of racists, homophobes, gordophobes and miscoginists with simple words or their own "jokes".

Finally, I disagree that every comedian seeks to make these lines funny, as many use jokes to spread internal prejudice. It's never just a joke if the other is humiliated. The less racist, homophobic or sexist jokes we tell, the more likely we are to have a better next generation and a society with less discrimination.

What is your opinion about this theme?

Who gets to determine where that limit is set, and what gives them the right to determine it?
The listener has every right to break the mood if it has become an offense to him, you tell a joke to someone else, he is open to being offended or not. Just as the comedian has the right to make a joke about the subject he wants, so will the consequences if he is misunderstood by the listener.

The listener has every right to break the mood if it has become an offense to him, you tell a joke to someone else, he is open to being offended or not. Just as the comedian has the right to make a joke about the subject he wants, so will the consequences if he is misunderstood by the listener.
Okay, but that's repercussions, not a limit. I see no problem with social repercussions in response to offensive jokes (you have the right to make an offensive joke, but other people have the right to call you a piece of shit for doing it), but when we bring up "limits" that strikes me as slightly more authoritarian than I'm willing to support.

It depends on what beliefs you subscribe to. If we have truly free speech, than speech that does not cause an immediate danger (i.e. yelling (falsely) fire in a crowded room), or doesn't cause harm to another person (slander, libel etc) then I think it's okay. It might not be humorous the listener finds funny, but that's okay. Amy Schumer is not funny to me, but some people like her, and that's okay. Also, as society changes over time, so do our standards for what is acceptable. Look at comedy specials from different decades, or even jokes in movies from the ages and see how some of them have changed. There is no hard and fast good/bad rule, it adapts in turn with society. Not even 10 years ago, a comedian could easily target a gay or other 'sexual minority' for lack of a better term, and it would be just another joke in their reportoire. Comedy is tragedy plus time. You wouldn't make a 9/11 joke on 9/12 but now a joke related to 9/11 is pretty tame (steel beams?).

Also, the first definition of humor is

noun: humor
  1. 1.
    the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
which makes it an inherently inward quality entirely dependent on the consumer of the joke, and not a blanket standard applicable to society as a whole.

tl;dr no there is no limit, as it is based on the person and changes from person to another.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
No it doesnt have any limits because you can turn off the screen or leave the club or whatever. If you are dealing with someone irl you dont want to be saying the n word no matter how funny it might be. Probably.

There are definitely some people more deserving to certain topics of humour than others. I'm fine with holocaust and Jew jokes and all that, but I would never tell them to some of my older relatives who went through those hard times. That being said with the amount of jokes and humour you see, it can sometimes be hard to not think "huh, if the chips aligned, these people would kill me".

Humour should have free will. For many people, jokes are coping mechanism there are jokes which are cruel but clever. But often jokes and trolling is just a comically thin veil for racism and hatred. If the punchline of your joke is "Haha this pisses off people who dislike racism" I don't think your joke should be banned, but I do think you are a bad person.

I prefer to keep it simple. Jokes are completely fair game until your "target audience" has any kind of negative reaction (and I'm not even talking about getting comments that they were offended - something as simple as someone looking uncomfortable is enough). It depends on who you are talking to.

(And of course, if we are talking about making jokes on social media, then the "target audience" becomes everyone so there are things one shouldn't really say out of respect...)

Seems to me that a lot of people just want to spit out whatever their horrible shit views are and when they get called on it try to claim they're "only joking" and "lighten up it's humor".
That's definitively my vision about this topic, sometimes the speech of others seems very prejudiced.

There are definitely some people more deserving to certain topics of humour than others. I'm fine with holocaust and Jew jokes and all that, but I would never tell them to some of my older relatives who went through those hard times. That being said with the amount of jokes and humour you see, it can sometimes be hard to not think "huh, if the chips aligned, these people would kill me".

Humour should have free will. For many people, jokes are coping mechanism there are jokes which are cruel but clever. But often jokes and trolling is just a comically thin veil for racism and hatred. If the punchline of your joke is "Haha this pisses off people who dislike racism" I don't think your joke should be banned, but I do think you are a bad person.
Besides, you can't banish a joke for everyone, maybe on the internet, but what about our real life? Very difficult, however cruel some may be, I agree with you all in all, the comedian will prove to be a really bad person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)