Pokémon Dondozo

big catfish theory
931.png

water.gif

Base Stats: 150 HP / 100 Atk / 115 Def / 65 SpA / 65 SpD / 35 Spe (BST: 530)
Abilities: Unaware / Oblivious / Water Veil (HA)
Notable Moves:
-Wave Crash
-Liquidation
-Curse
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Earthquake
-Body Press
-Zen Headbutt
-Heavy Slam
-Ice Fang
-Avalanche
-Body Slam
-Rock Slide
-Yawn
Level Up Moves:
  1. - [01] Tackle
  2. - [01] Supersonic
  3. - [01] Water Gun
  4. - [05] Tickle
  5. - [10] Flail
  6. - [15] Rest
  7. - [15] Sleep Talk
  8. - [20] Dive
  9. - [25] Noble Roar
  10. - [30] Soak
  11. - [35] Body Slam
  12. - [40] Aqua Tail
  13. - [45] Rain Dance
  14. - [50] Order Up
  15. - [55] Heavy Slam
  16. - [60] Double-Edge
  17. - [65] Wave Crash
  18. TM Learn:
  19. - [TM001] Take Down
  20. - [TM006] Scary Face
  21. - [TM007] Protect
  22. - [TM010] Ice Fang
  23. - [TM011] Water Pulse
  24. - [TM022] Chilling Water
  25. - [TM025] Facade
  26. - [TM028] Bulldoze
  27. - [TM046] Avalanche
  28. - [TM047] Endure
  29. - [TM050] Rain Dance
  30. - [TM059] Zen Headbutt
  31. - [TM066] Body Slam
  32. - [TM070] Sleep Talk
  33. - [TM077] Waterfall
  34. - [TM084] Stomping Tantrum
  35. - [TM085] Rest
  36. - [TM086] Rock Slide
  37. - [TM089] Body Press
  38. - [TM103] Substitute
  39. - [TM108] Crunch
  40. - [TM110] Liquidation
  41. - [TM121] Heavy Slam
  42. - [TM123] Surf
  43. - [TM142] Hydro Pump
  44. - [TM149] Earthquake
  45. - [TM152] Giga Impact
  46. - [TM156] Outrage
  47. - [TM163] Hyper Beam
  48. - [TM171] Tera Blast
  49. Egg Moves:
  50. - Thrash
  51. - Fissure
  52. - Curse
  53. - Yawn

New Moves:

Wave Crash
water.gif
|
physical.png

16 PP
120 BP
100% Accuracy
User takes 1/3rd of damage dealt in recoil

Order Up
dragon.gif
|
physical.png

16 PP
80 BP
100% Accuracy
If user has a Tatsugiri in its mouth, boosts Attack, Defense, or Speed depending on the Tatsugiri's form

Pros:
-150 HP + 115 Defense + Unaware makes Dondozo one of the most promising new physical walls in the game
-Access to Curse and an Attack stat of 100 gives it setup sweeper potential, as well as not being passive like most Unaware walls
-Good coverage with moves like Body Press, Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, Heavy Slam, and Ice Fang

Cons:
-Low Special Defense of 65, not ideal for a tank
-Above is made worse by being a pure Water type, giving it a big weakness to one of the best special attacking types in the game in Electric
-INCREDIBLY slow at base 35 Speed
-Only healing move is Rest, forcing it to sacrifice a move slot for Sleep Talk to not be a sitting duck for two turns

Terastylizing Potential:
-Can use Tera Ground to catch Electric-types off guard

Sets:

Bulky Set-Up Sweeper
ChestoResto (Dondozo) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wave Crash
- Ice Fang / Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest

This set makes good use of Dondozo's great physical stats and Unaware to allow it to pull double duty as a physical tank and a physical sweeper. Ice Fang can be used for Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Meowscarada, while Earthquake can help deal with Electric-types such as Magnezone and Iron Hands. Chesto Berry allows Dondozo to fully heal itself with Rest and wake up immediately to not be a sitting duck. Sleep Talk can be used to prevent this, along with Leftovers as the held item to provide additional recovery, but it requires giving up either the boost provided by Curse or a coverage move slot.

I realize these sets have singles in mind, but is pairing this leviathan with Tatsugiri actually worth it compared to either of them standing on their own? I am not a doubles fan, but I am still curious about viability.

On an unrelated note, IT'S 39 FEET LONG? It could probably swallow you and your dinky boat in one gulp! o_O

I realize these sets have singles in mind, but is pairing this leviathan with Tatsugiri actually worth it compared to either of them standing on their own? I am not a doubles fan, but I am still curious about viability.

On an unrelated note, IT'S 39 FEET LONG? It could probably swallow you and your dinky boat in one gulp! o_O
As someone who's been running exclusively Dondozo and Tatsugiri sense starting Gen 9 on showdown, yes, I'd say it absolutely is.

It does have its weaknesses, having to pull double-duty means that 4mss is quite apparent. And activating commander locks you in; meaning anything that shuts Dondozo down shuts them down *hard*.

But a double-omni boost is nothing to scoff at, especially with Dondozo's exceptional defense and attack stats. If the opponent isn't running a hard counter to Dondozo such as Amoongus or Killowatral, they're going to have a very hard time filleting that fish.

Raid Boss build:
Dondozo @ Chesto Berry
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Order Up
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Rest

Resto-chesto is the set I've had the most luck with. Though you could also go for leftovers and replace rest with an extra coverage move.
Steel tera type has also been optimal in my experience. While this set doesn't benefit from any sort of STAB, 2/3 weaknesses are covered, and most fighting types are walled by Dondozo's incredible defenses anyways. Plus; it also makes Dondozo immune to Defog, which can otherwise ruin it's day in a heartbeat.

As for Tatsugiri, they're only vulnerable to status effects and sandstorms while in Dondozo's mouth. And are spat out once Dondozo goes down. Their high special attack means they can serve as a pretty good clean-up crew. Though low bulk and middling speed mean that it's quite easy to kill before it can do anything. And that's assuming it's not killed the same turn it's spat out.

Clean-up crew build:
Tatsugiri @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Commander
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Memento

Color is mostly a choice between Curly (orange) for +attack and Stretchy (yellow) for extra speed. I personally prefer Curly sense speed is Dondozo's worst stat, but it can still help. Droopy (red) is pretty useless though. It only boosts defense, and Special defense is a much bigger problem for Dondozo anyways.

There's another strategy that's been seeing prominence lately that I should bring up. To put simply; Despite what logic should reason; if a Tatsugiri faints before it's partner Dondozo, Dondozo will keep the stat boost and you can send out a third pokemon onto the field.

This is done by giving Tatsugiri a toxic orb and sending it out with a pokemon that knows Explosion. Have Tatsugiri use endure and then the partner use explosion. Tatsugiri will survive the turn with 1 HP before toxic activates. Once this happens, replace the exploded pokemon with Dondozo for 2x stats. You then have 1 turn before the gas station sushi expires, at which point you can replace then while still having a raid boss on your field.

Gas-Station Sushi build
Dondozo @ Clear Amulet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Liquidation
- Order Up
- Yawn

Sustain is much less important compared to the last Dondozo build sense they have backup this time around. And yawn can once again be replaced with an additional coverage move if desired. Ice fang or Avalanch would be good options.

Gas-Station Sushi build:
Tatsugiri-Stretchy @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Commander
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Endure
- Draco Meteor
- Memento
- Rapid Spin

Tatsugiri's build realllly doesn't matter here. It's just a sacrificial lamb for this setup, so if Dondozo somehow goes down before Tatsugiri; then you're really just kinda screwed either way. Just use endure, and you'll be good.

The most popular pokemon to partner with this strategy is Flamigo. With its signature ability Costar, it will automatically get all of Dondozo's stat boosts just for switching in. This is also why Stretchy Tatsugiri is chosen for this strategy over Curly. Sense 90 speed is much more appealing to boost over 35 speed, and you'll be able to get 1 Order Up off before Tatsugiri kicks the bucket.

Costar build:
Flamigo @ Life Orb
Ability: Costar
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Close Combat
- Liquidation

Another great option to run as backup is any pokemon with Psych up and Stored Power. Just copying Dondozo is an automatic +220 to power, plus however many times it used Order Up. I personally prefer Slowbro/Slowking for their good mixed-bulk, but anything should do in practice.

Psych Up Nuker build:
Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psych Up
- Stored Power
- Surf
- Heal Pulse

Overall, Dondozo and Tatsugiri are a force to be reckoned with if allowed if not checked; though those checks are more common than they might like. I'm not sure they'll stay in OU, but I think it's definitely worth keeping an eye on them.

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
:sv/dondozo:

It feels like the only thing holding this tier together is Dondozo's existence.

With ridiculous bulk, a good defensive type, and Unaware, it's one of the only splashable defensive checks to a multitude of top tier threats. Dondozo is plenty capable of switching into massive wallbreakers like Chien-Pao, Palafin, Baxcalibur, and more. The main issue is that its means of recovery are pretty demanding, but it's still a fantastic defensive mon. Talks of a Curse set have definitely been compelling, but I think Dondozo is just as good as a catch-all wall to strengthen defensive cores on balanced teams.

Physical Wall
Dondozo @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Waterfall
- Body Press
- Rest / Yawn
- Sleep Talk / Protect

Using a Grass Tera Type lets it take hits from Electric and Grass-type Pokémon, while still resisting Water-type attacks. Waterfall is used over Liquidation for its higher PP. I've been using RestTalk to let it absorb status and have Dondozo get full recovery, but it can also use Yawn + Protect to get extra turns of Leftovers recovery.

I run chesto rest with body press-yawn-rest- crunch/avalanche/wave crash

yawn is good at making this mon less passive and forcing switches

Dos, I’ve done some testing of your “gas-station sushi” team because I loved the idea. I’ve been trying to work with Tatsugiri and Dondozo in doubles since I saw them.

However, I’ve run into a snag of trouble. I’ve come close a few times, but some issues block the way. Namely:
- Sand KO’s Tatsugiri and ignores Endure.
- Trick Room teams out speed boosted Dondozo and Flamigo.
- Predictability of Tatsugiri left me open to status conditions.

If I may make some suggestions?
- Exploder (for me, Electrode w/Normal Gem) needs some sort of weather counter. Perhaps Electrode w/Rain Dance, if I’m going with the same poke?
- Tatsugiri needs Protect when Amoongus could Spore it. Idk what the exploder would do with that time, but focus sash then becomes ironically necessary.
- Idk what to say about Trick Rooms. Maybe have Slowbro/king not Psych Up, and instead act as counter roomers?

Dos, I’ve done some testing of your “gas-station sushi” team because I loved the idea. I’ve been trying to work with Tatsugiri and Dondozo in doubles since I saw them.

However, I’ve run into a snag of trouble. I’ve come close a few times, but some issues block the way. Namely:
- Sand KO’s Tatsugiri and ignores Endure.
- Trick Room teams out speed boosted Dondozo and Flamigo.
- Predictability of Tatsugiri left me open to status conditions.

If I may make some suggestions?
- Exploder (for me, Electrode w/Normal Gem) needs some sort of weather counter. Perhaps Electrode w/Rain Dance, if I’m going with the same poke?
- Tatsugiri needs Protect when Amoongus could Spore it. Idk what the exploder would do with that time, but focus sash then becomes ironically necessary.
- Idk what to say about Trick Rooms. Maybe have Slowbro/king not Psych Up, and instead act as counter roomers?
Weather I've found can be dealt with just by bringing Dondozo out early. It's not perfect, but Toxic+Sandstorm will take Tatsugiri out in only a few turns. Which Dondozo can usually last unless the opponent has something that hard-checks them. In this case, running Protect in place of Yawn may be useful for stalling for Tatsugiri to go down.

Not sure about what to do with the other things though. Your ideas are probably good.

I like your idea, too! I’ve seen people running protect on Dondozo lately, and it definitely adds to their survivability.

I can probably find something more for Electrode to do if I take your suggestion and switch in early. Might even eliminate Electrode early and just put in Palafin (for VGC, I know they’ve been banned in OU).

Just wanted to add, Wave Crash isn't "new". It's from Legends Arceus and so predates this generation.
That's just semantics.

Wave crash is new to competitive Pokémon, especially since the wave crash in pla isn't even close to what it is in the mainline games.

Dondozo is definitely defensive teams' equivalent to Great Tusk holding offense together. If it's a physical attacker and it isn't Breloom or some shit, I'm pretty sure Dondozo bricks it.

This whale is pretty much Unaware physical blissey.

Its bulk is crazy and allows it neutralize most physical threats easily.

Overall im fine with it but when paired with a few other walls (bulkier teams and stall) it can become a bit oppresive imo as it feels like there is no way around it. Give it rocky helmet and watch ur opponent suffer in agony, if they have any answer to Dondozo just switch to whatever can deal with it, Clodsire, Blissey, Corviknight, Skeledirge...

Jesus, i swear stall this gen can be quite unbearable

This whale is pretty much Unaware physical blissey.

Its bulk is crazy and allows it neutralize most physical threats easily.

Overall im fine with it but when paired with a few other walls (bulkier teams and stall) it can become a bit oppresive imo as it feels like there is no way around it. Give it rocky helmet and watch ur opponent suffer in agony, if they have any answer to Dondozo just switch to whatever can deal with it, Clodsire, Blissey, Corviknight, Skeledirge...

Jesus, i swear stall this gen can be quite unbearable
Have you... played??? at all??? The meta is a pile of hyperoffense shed tail dual screen nonsense.

Have you... played??? at all??? The meta is a pile of hyperoffense shed tail dual screen nonsense.
Yes i have, Im at 1600 ELO so yes.

Its still early and stall is a boring concept so i havent run that many, but still have found some games with stall or fat mons that were unbreakable without luck or my opponent making a big mistake

I have been using Dondozo with the below set -
Dondozo @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel/Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Unfortunately, Liquidation's defense drops are ignored by Unaware, but it becomes capable of endlessly walling almost every physical attacker, and the one out right now which does run taunt (Annihilape) you can still switch in on and either force out or often score a long and drawn-out KO.
If you Curse once, Annihilape is completely unable to stop you, so it needs to taunt and keep taunt up entirely - meaning you can spam Liquidation until it dies. Or at least, it has always worked that way for me.
If the enemy has no taunt nor water absorb, Curse+Sleep Talk can actually become a dangerous threat to the opponent's team and you can seriously chunk a few things before it finally goes down.
You might still want some other switch for Meowscarada and Breloom - although Breloom's spore is perfectly absorbed by Dondozo if that's what you're sure it'll do.

I have been using Dondozo with the below set -
Dondozo @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel/Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Unfortunately, Liquidation's defense drops are ignored by Unaware, but it becomes capable of endlessly walling almost every physical attacker, and the one out right now which does run taunt (Annihilape) you can still switch in on and either force out or often score a long and drawn-out KO.
If you Curse once, Annihilape is completely unable to stop you, so it needs to taunt and keep taunt up entirely - meaning you can spam Liquidation until it dies. Or at least, it has always worked that way for me.
If the enemy has no taunt nor water absorb, Curse+Sleep Talk can actually become a dangerous threat to the opponent's team and you can seriously chunk a few things before it finally goes down.
You might still want some other switch for Meowscarada and Breloom - although Breloom's spore is perfectly absorbed by Dondozo if that's what you're sure it'll do.
:dondozo:
I have been using this set as well, but with some modifications:
Dondozo @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Dark / Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Liquidation
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Curse + RestTalk is actually amazing, and he's surprisingly bulky on the special side with the SpD investment. For reference:
252 SpA Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 165-195 (32.7 - 38.6%) -- 4.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Scarf Chi-Yu can never beat you 1v1, and if they don't have a special electric or grass move like Valiant TBolt or Scovillain they basically lose lmao. You don't really need the defense investment in my experience because curse is gonna boost you up anyway, and his defense is so much higher than SpD that you get more out of running SpD investment (similar to how Blissey runs defense, just the reverse).
And then of course you can beat Specs Chi-Yu by transforming into a dark type to resist the Dark Pulse, and then destroying it with Liquidation.
Tera Grass is an option so you resist electric and grass, but with all the stupid fish running around I think Dark is better. Dondozo is a truly terrifying pokemon and I've had many games come down to Dondozo vs. Dondozo PP stall wars. This thing is ridiculous

How does Liquidation only Dondozo beat tera water Annihilape? They can just keep taunt up and drain punch you until their rage fist KOs.

How does Liquidation only Dondozo beat tera water Annihilape? They can just keep taunt up and drain punch you until their rage fist KOs.
unaware bypasses their stat boosts and ignores them when the unaware Mon takes damage, meaning that it can just attack annihilape for unboosted damage and annihilape cannot do anything about it as using bulk up would be fruitless. granted, I'm not positive that it could beat tera water annihilape on its own myself, however it could definitely allow a teammate to revenge kill for it

unaware bypasses their stat boosts and ignores them when the unaware Mon takes damage, meaning that it can just attack annihilape for unboosted damage and annihilape cannot do anything about it as using bulk up would be fruitless. granted, I'm not positive that it could beat tera water annihilape on its own myself, however it could definitely allow a teammate to revenge kill for it
It does not beat Tera Water ape, no. That is the one weakness to the set, but it's not all bad because then the opponent was forced to tera, and you just send out a revenge killer. Thankfully it's a slow mon so that's not hard to pack in your team.

Dondozo is the glue that holds some teams together. It is a big upgrade from Quagsire and is able to counter most physical sweepers. It is also no slouch offensively with base 100 attack and a STAB move with base 120 power. It is one of the sturdiest pokemon in the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)