SS OU Double Barrier Offense

Hello all, I am both new here as well as new to competitive pokemon. I've been playing since Gen1 but, with the release of Gen 8, I have the urge to try competitive. I have been reading a lot and doing research trying to incorporate some of my favorites (Gardevoir/Lapras/Flygon) in a competitive team. This is my first attempt at a team so please bear with any obvious mistakes.

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball

Gardevoir is my favorite pokemon of all time so its the starting point for my team. With great STAB as well as good coverage it should be a potent Choice Specs attacker with usable speed. The lack of bulk pointed me towards trying to set barriers for Gardevoir to sit behind and sweep. Synchronize is to combat toxic/will'o'wisp to get around barriers.

Dragapult @ Light Clay
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- U-turn
- Light Screen
- Reflect

With a half cocked plan I needed a screen-setter. Dragapult seemed like an interesting option because of his insane speed and ghost typing.. He can set barriers and U-Turn out for a sweeper. Not entirely positive on dragon darts as well as maxing Atk instead of Def or SpD.

Cinderace @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Libero
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Gunk Shot
- Court Change
- U-turn

Next up is my wallbreaker (i hope). Cinderace is a fast scarf physical attacker that should be able to break Ferro. I added Gunk Shot for coverage and with Libero the STAB bonus for it as well as U-Turn seems really nice. Added Court Change to deal with hazards though I'm not sure if thats enough or if I need a defog somewhere.

Flygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- U-turn

At this point I felt a theme with speed/U-turn to try and find favorable matchups for my offense. I felt like I was lacking Earthquake and power-up ability so Flygon with Dragon Dance fit the bill as a speedy sweeper with U-Turn. The STAB Dragon Claw feels right but, again, unsure due to lack of experience. Levitate also helps to be able to switch into an opposing Earthquake.

Lapras-Gmax @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Life Dew
- Surf
- Thunderbolt/Psychic

Now that my offense was set I needed some bulk. Though its not Ferro/Pex I like Lapras so here we are. Big and bulky with some utility in Life Dew and some good STAB in Ice Beam and Surf. The fourth slot for coverage though not sure if Thunderbolt or Psychic is more useful. Shell Armor to protect from crits eating through the bulk as well as leftovers for sustain.

Aegislash @ Focus Sash
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield
- Iron Head

Lastly some more bulk as well as great Steel/Ghost typing to be able to switch into various situations with the Focus Sash for backup if a mistake is made. Otherwise the bulk along with Kings Shield to sustain through big attacks/dynamax. When King's Shield isn't required it can Swords Dance into STAB Iron Head or Sacred Sword coverage.

Overall I feel like there is a plan though I am not sure how well rounded I am. I know Ferro/Pex is a common measure of functionality and I think Aegis/Cinder for Ferro and Lapras/Gardevoir coverage moves for Pex I should have it covered. Not sure how well it stacks up against Rain/Sand who can probably out speed everything but Dragopult. Not sure what other broad strategies I need counterplay for. Any insight would be helpful as I am just beginning to explore competetive.

The main purpose of screens is to make it easier for sweepers to boost up. Your team didn't take advantage of that particularly well, so I tried to fix that.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Mystical Fire

The rest of the team needs to set up to become speedy, so a Choice Scarf seemed like a good idea. Trace is also better than Synchronize, as it allows you to revenge kill weather sweepers like Excadrill and Barraskewda. Focus Blast and Mystical Fire hit Steel types.

Dragapult @ Light Clay
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Dragon Tail

Dragapult looks to be a very good screens setter, but I thought it would be wise to invest more heavily in bulk, as it isn't its job to sweep. I also took a page out of Marzbar's book and gave it Dragon Tail + Infiltrator, in order to mess with Substitute sweepers.

Hawlucha @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird / Acrobatics
- Substitute

Cinderace's hidden ability isn't released yet, and Court Change doesn't work at all well with screens. I couldn't find a way to get Hawlucha to work on this team, so I replaced it with one of the best Pokemon in the meta.

Flygon @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Superpower

Flygon isn't that good of a Pokemon in this meta, but it's one of your favorites, so I kept it. Choice Band + Dragon Dance is a nonsensical combo, because once you start dancing, you can't attack. Superpower was chosen to so you can get even more Attack boosts by Dynamaxing.

Lapras-Gmax @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Surf

Lapras is even worse than Flygon. Like, it's really bad. But it's one of your favorites, so whatever. Choice Specs were chosen so this Pokemon can do at least some damage, and Water Absorb was chosen because a Water immunity is a hell of a lot better than crit immunity. Thanks to Freeze Dry, Lapras only really needs its STABs to hit everything for at least neutral damage, so it got two of each. Ice Beam and Hydro Pump are stronger, while Surf and Freeze-Dry are safer.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon

Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Close Combat
- Autotomize
- Swords Dance

I couldn't decide which Aegislash set to use, so I included both for you to try. Aegislash is a great Weakness Policy user thanks to its immense bulk while in Shield form, and screens makes it even easier to tank a hit. Autotomize as your opponent pops your Weakness Policy, and then go to town. Ghost is a much better STAB type than Steel, which is why the Swords Dance set has Shadow Claw instead of Iron Head.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Mystical Fire

Dragapult @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Dragon Tail

Flygon @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Superpower

Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Surf

Naive / Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon

Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Close Combat
- Autotomize
- Swords Dance

Yep, Screens Dragapult is solid, especially with the bulk investment. No point in investing in attack.

I really wish Flygon was good, I honestly do. Maybe with screens support and speed control it can dance and sweep, who knows, but if you’re doing that and going to so much effort, you start to wonder why you’re not running something easier to set up with, like dragon dance Dragapult haha :p

Yep, Screens Dragapult is solid, especially with the bulk investment. No point in investing in attack.

I really wish Flygon was good, I honestly do. Maybe with screens support and speed control it can dance and sweep, who knows, but if you’re doing that and going to so much effort, you start to wonder why you’re not running something easier to set up with, like dragon dance Dragapult haha :p
The main purpose of screens is to make it easier for sweepers to boost up. Your team didn't take advantage of that particularly well, so I tried to fix that.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Mystical Fire

The rest of the team needs to set up to become speedy, so a Choice Scarf seemed like a good idea. Trace is also better than Synchronize, as it allows you to revenge kill weather sweepers like Excadrill and Barraskewda. Focus Blast and Mystical Fire hit Steel types.

Dragapult @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Dragon Tail

Dragapult looks to be a very good screens setter, but I thought it would be wise to invest more heavily in bulk, as it isn't its job to sweep. I also took a page out of Marzbar's book and gave it Dragon Tail + Infiltrator, in order to mess with Substitute sweepers.

Hawlucha @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird / Acrobatics
- Substitute

Cinderace's hidden ability isn't released yet, and Court Change doesn't work at all well with screens. I couldn't find a way to get Hawlucha to work on this team, so I replaced it with one of the best Pokemon in the meta.

Flygon @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Superpower

Flygon isn't that good of a Pokemon in this meta, but it's one of your favorites, so I kept it. Choice Band + Dragon Dance is a nonsensical combo, because once you start dancing, you can't attack. Superpower was chosen to so you can get even more Attack boosts by Dynamaxing.

Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Surf

Lapras is even worse than Flygon. Like, it's really bad. But it's one of your favorites, so whatever. Choice Specs were chosen so this Pokemon can do at least some damage, and Water Absorb was chosen because a Water immunity is a hell of a lot better than crit immunity. Thanks to Freeze Dry, Lapras only really needs its STABs to hit everything for at least neutral damage, so it got two of each. Ice Beam and Hydro Pump are stronger, while Surf and Freeze-Dry are safer.

Naive / Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon

Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Close Combat
- Autotomize
- Swords Dance

I couldn't decide which Aegislash set to use, so I included both for you to try. Aegislash is a great Weakness Policy user thanks to its immense bulk while in Shield form, and screens makes it even easier to tank a hit. Autotomize as your opponent pops your Weakness Policy, and then go to town. Ghost is a much better STAB type than Steel, which is why the Swords Dance set has Shadow Claw instead of Iron Head.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Mystical Fire

Dragapult @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Dragon Tail

Flygon @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Superpower

Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Surf

Naive / Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon

Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Close Combat
- Autotomize
- Swords Dance
Thank you for the insight and your time. I understand that Flygon and Lapras aren’t great but thanks for understanding that. I’m glad i wasn’t completely off on my plan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)