Doubles OU Sample Teams

Welcome! The purpose of this thread is to archive successful Doubles OU teams, intended to help new players get acclimated to the metagame and different playstyles. Seeing as how gaining knowledge about teambuilding and the Doubles OU metagame in general can be hard and complicated, having a foundation to work from can prove to be very helpful. Here, you can post your own team for archiving for new Doubles players to use.

I'll be looking through all of your submissions carefully and adding the good ones to OP.

GUIDELINES

Anyone is welcome to submit a team they believe to be worthy, as long as you submit a post that contains the following:
  • An importable of your team
  • A brief explanation of each member's role and an overview of how the team works.
Happy Posting!

Teams

This a pretty cool team that I've been using for quite some time. It mainly features Kangaskhan alongside Tailwind, backed up by a cool FWG core. Mega Kangaskhan is the team's strongest Attacker, and is pretty dangerous in Tailwind, especially after Power-Up Punch off. Breloom provides status for the team in the form of Spore, sleeping annoying Pokemon and neutering opposing Trick Room setters. It's notable that Breloom in Tailwind is very threatening as it can neuter almost any mon of its choosing. Suicune is the team's first Tailwind setter and bulkiest member that takes hits like a champ, and a check to the annoying Landorus-T and Heatran (and possibly Skymin if in TW). Heatran is a strong spread Special Attacker which takes out annoying Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Aegislash, as well as fully countering the ever-annoying Amoonguss. Its Substitute set pairs well with Mega Kang's Fake Out and makes Heatran really annoying along with its nifty typing and bulk. Latios is the team's second and much more offensive Tailwind setter, which also takes out Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion that threaten Mega Kangaskhan. It's worth to note that Latios is also the team's fastest non-Scarfed member. The last member, Scarf Landorus-T, provides the handy Intimidate, gives the team some Speed, and puts in good spread damage across the board with Earthquake.

The team has some decent match-ups against most teams. Against slow bulkier teams, Mega Kangaskhan, Breloom, and Heatran really put in work, while Landorus-T and Latios, and Suicune shine against faster, more Hyper-Offensive ones. Suicune is a good catch-all check to things it's not weak to type-wise, and is pretty reliable for setting Tailwind when needed as long as it stays healthy. Having a FWG core means that there's not really much the team doesn't cover. Mega Kangaskhan is an often used wincon as an already set up MKang can easily blow holes against opposing teams.

This team is cool bc it got my main acc to the Top 10 even though i only ladder when bored. Also, any team with Mega Kangaskhan is fairly representative of the metagame lol :>

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 188 SpA / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Tailwind
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

There aren't many teams here anymore since Volcanion was released! Post a cool team of yours if you have one to share!

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
lets get some nice weather teams in this thread

Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Taunt
- Protect

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

grandma spankins (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Here we have a pretty normal rain team. The team kicks off with the standard rain core of Politoed + Ludicolo. It's backed up by Diancie, which is a great mega to use on rain because of how it decimates Thundurus, Talonflame, and Charizard-Y. Diancie pairs really well offensively with Ludicolo; Ludicolo puts offensive pressure on bulky water types that check Diancie like Suicune and Azumarill, while also getting rid of Landorus-T. In turn, Diancie kills Talonflame and checks Mega Kangaskhan. Talonflame is the team's answer to bulky grass types, which the main core can't handle well. Talonflame also checks Trick Room with the use of Taunt. Aegislash adds useful resistances to the team while also benefiting from the reduction in the power of fire type attacks, letting it set up a Substitute in a lot of situations. It's also a pretty useful answer to Kyurem-B. Finishing off the team is offensive Thundurus, which offers speed control and a secondary check to bulky water types.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Another pretty standard team that I built with the aid of Kylecole's frameworks thread. The team is based off of the core that you see on pretty much any sun team, which is chary + venu. These are the two mons that you'll want to lead with a lot of the time, as they have good offensive synergy with one another. Keep in mind that Chlorophyll doesnt activate on the same turn of Charizard mega evolving, so you'll have to use protect if you need that speed boost. Landorus-T beats Talonflame (and diancie), which is a pretty big threat to the core. Aegislash is the resident steel type, and is chosen over Heatran to prevent the team from being weaker to rain than it already is. Thundurus is a secondary Talonflame check that also offers speed control, which can also support the team against opposing swift swim users. Keldeo adds resistances to water and fire, while also being a more forward check to kyub and kang. It's also the team's main answer to Landorus-T. Terrakion could also be used in this slot, but after some testing, im pretty sure that Keldeo is better on this team.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
How is my team still here lol

If anything, I updated the team to use 252 HP / 12 Def / 188 SpA / 56 Spe Bold on Suicune because the one listed is using a defensive benchmark for Mega Salamence. This spread lets it tank +2 Return from Adamant Kang with Sitrus intact while still letting it be an offensive-ish mon.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
checkmater had a strong run with his full TR team in seasonals. He even solo'd sets with this team. Two solid Fake Out users for easy set up of TR, with powerful TR sweepers in Heatran and Sylveon/Abomasnow to create a lot of offensive pressure. Reasonably easy to use and effective imo.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
maybe true but nobody wants to give checkmater the satisfaction of having made a sample team because then he'll just keep saying things like "your team with lando-t and helmet amoong gets 6-0d by HJK scrafty" and "bisharp's not a threat to trick room" with even more ridiculous smugness than before

Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Protect

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

lando + bulky zard just ruins shit with spread spam. ive got lots of ways to deal with diancie, landorus-t, and heatran, which are like the biggest threats to sun. gas the kikes race war now. slightly talon weak.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
yea i actually prefer Stratos's sun team, as it is much better equipped against Heatran and Mega Diancie than xzern's sun team. I'd consider HP Ground on Mega Charizard Y, Wide Guard @ WP/Occa/Goggles on Aegislash, and Flash Cannon on Thundurus for xzern's team. Maybe Taunt on Keldeo or Thundurus, since they give Amoonguss a free opportunity to Spore something.

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
maybe true but nobody wants to give checkmater the satisfaction of having made a sample team because then he'll just keep saying things like "your team with lando-t and helmet amoong gets 6-0d by HJK scrafty" and "bisharp's not a threat to trick room" with even more ridiculous smugness than before
lellers I should stop trying to meme in Stratos' battles

anwyays here's the team

4052739537881 (Scrafty) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Head Smash
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

139583862445 (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch

160500643816367088 (Jellicent) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Trick Room
- Protect

4807526976 (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Protect

1548008755920 (Sylveon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

591286729879 (Heatran) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

This full-room team is centered around the offensive synergy of fire+fairy, with heatran sylveon. The two mons provide powerful offensive spread damage, while the other members give the two room to flourish. Kang and scrafty are both fake out support enabling the team to set up trick room, while also dealing heavy damage once trick room is up. Jellicent is the defensive backbone capable of soaking most neutral hits and eating up water stabs. Reuniclus and Heatran both provide solid amoonguss counters, while also being able to threaten common amoonguss partners, such as subtran.

Casually plugs lengthier explanation: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/checks-cop-out.3548419/#post-6403983

edit:
[13:11] @KyleCole:but if it has hjk you can probably guess what will happen
rip.. changed it to low kick

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hyper offense is viable without skymin™

not great vs tr but you have taunt keld, tw talon and t wave thundy for speed control, deo a outspeeds adamant scarf lando and kills (which would other wise give team trouble) and knock off over superpower bc aegislash, then standard kang and scarf lando

replays (i will replace with better ones when they become available since this first one is just me clicking rock slide for 8 turns): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-270729970

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Protect

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Last edited:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
two questions:

replays?

and why jolly kang with inner focus? if tr matchup is bad it sounds like you might as well run scrappy

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
two questions:

replays?

and why jolly kang with inner focus? if tr matchup is bad it sounds like you might as well run scrappy
I'll edit this with replays if I can find them and it's that set because I don't like getting faked out I guess but Adamant Kang is probably just as good if not better. Scrappy Kang is good for getting chandelure out of the way, and getting jelli for a turn, but those are like the only 2 ghost type tr setters and it seems too specific to run over inner focus for me. I'm sure its still good though

derivations

Banned deucer.
KyleCole, you changed the spread on Memoric's Suicune to the right one but the nature is still Modest>Bold, wondering if that was a mistake or not.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
p easy team to use tbqh fam
BYAKUREN (Pidgeot) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Protect

ORIN (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 58 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Ancient Power

MOKOU (Volcarona) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

YOUMU (Garchomp) @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Sunny Day
- Protect

NITORI (Gyarados) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Protect

SHAMEIMARU (Deoxys-Speed) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
it's p good too

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
I've updated my team a little...

Reuniclus spread is now
152 HP / 36 Def / 252 SpA / 68 SpD
Quiet Nature
(it's just more optimal really, nothing much to say)
Sylveon IVs are
30/30/30/31/30/0
for speed ties with minspeed mons of the same base (notable aegis and opposing sylveon)
It came up in multiple battles where I tried to double target a aegis but the aegis got an attack off (with WP boost) before I could ko it with sylveon's hp ground sooo I changed the iv spread so I could get minspeed

edit: memoric asked so nicely I'm going to post more teams here, even though I don't really deem most of them sample worthy. Also, I fixed up both the teams I had here previously.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 80 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Icy Wind
- Iron Head
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Protect

Diancie + Jirachi is a potent core in this meta, being able to beta most teams if left unchecked. Hydreigon complemented the core well, being a solid way to beat Trick Room with its potent STABs and troubling Aegislash, one of (if not the) main checks for Diancie + Jirachi. Adding a Dragon to the core also complemented the famous Fairy + Steel + Dragon core. I sacrificed power from Hydreigon's set for the good utility of Lum Berry, making Hydrei a solid Thundurus check, which could bring this team trouble with Flash Cannon. The Lum Berry is also a great asset for beating Trick Room, as sometimes you can eat a Spore and get the damage you need. Next up were Landorus-Therian and Keldeo, these 2 mons alongside Diancie do a great job of beating Kanga Offense teams. Keldeo is a really nice mon alongside Diancie aswell, being a solid way to beat Bisharp and most Steels, making the fullest of Diancie's ability to delete Flying types. While Thundurus would be problematic, Lum Berry Hydreigon does a good job of checking that. On the other hand, Landorus-T is an amazing pivot, and argued by some as the best Pokemon in the metagame, side by side with Kangaskhan Mega. Providing strong Defense with intimidate, a solid way to beat Steels with EQ, Rock Slide flinches and strong techs in U-turn and Superpower, Lando-T was the perfect addition to the team. Lastly but not least, I chose Talonflame, as it's a great cleaning up Pokemon, it provides strong speed control with Tailwind and is one of the best Grass Killers in the game, which this team francticly needed.

La Campanella (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

Moonlight Sonata (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Toccata et Fugue (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Ocean (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Ballade no. 1 (Amoonguss) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Love's Sorrow (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Seriously people ._.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Here's a more in-depth analysis of my sample team, Team Glennn!. It also has an updated Heatran spread that outruns Adamant Bisharp.

On another note, we should probably get more sample teams here. This thread is a really helpful resource for learning the metagame, that's pretty obvious, but we can help so much more if we get more entries. We do have teams for Balance, Rain, Sun, and Full TR, but it'd really be a big help if we got more good, easy to learn, and simple to use teams that feature other builds and team styles such as Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie, Shadow Tag, SemiRoom, etc. If any of you guys post some teams here, it'd be a big help :)!

Last edited:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Kami/Arctic's are good mega metagross teams, easily, but pick one because you shouldn't have both in there

Diancie we could go with Shay/Kami/Stratos' diancie team

Stratos' THALK team could also go in, but it is a little similar to glenn, which might make it repetitive

Qsns' deo-a + kang (rest were hydreigon, gengar, jirachi, talon) team could also be a sample, I've seen quite a few people using it

Besides the above, I don't think that the last seasonal/the open had any teams that especially shined.
Then again I didn't follow matches super closely so I'm probably missing some

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Kami/Arctic's are good mega metagross teams, easily, but pick one because you shouldn't have both in there

Diancie we could go with Shay/Kami/Stratos' diancie team

Stratos' THALK team could also go in, but it is a little similar to glenn, which might make it repetitive

Qsns' deo-a + kang (rest were hydreigon, gengar, jirachi, talon) team could also be a sample, I've seen quite a few people using it

Besides the above, I don't think that the last seasonal/the open had any teams that especially shined.
Then again I didn't follow matches super closely so I'm probably missing some
I may RMT and post that Metagross team after Winter Seasonal, so im fine with it getting sample teamed after that.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
does it have to have an RMT to become a sample? the team is essentially public by now I'd imagine

edit: by essentially public I mean everyone knows about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)