Resource Doubles OU Team Bazaar

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

If you feel like simply sharing a team or two with the community, or maybe want some general opinions or discussion on a team, this is the thread for you! This thread is the place for people to post teams without having to make an RMT; if you feel like showing off a squad without having to make a thread, this is the place to do it. Keep in mind that if your post is incoherent or your team unfinished or unpolished, we reserve the right to delete your post.

We still have some guidelines to follow though:
  • Make sure your team has been tested! This team could possibly be used as resource so having substandard teams is a no-no.
  • Make sure to include an importable and a description for your team! Describe how it works, how it plays out, anything special about a set, stuff like that.
Feel free to add some other stuff to your posts as well; sprites are great as a visual guide! Having some song from YouTube or whatever to fulfill an aesthetic is fine too!

Example post, from last gen's version of this thread:

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Torterra @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 72 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wide Guard

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 220 Atk / 44 Def
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Quick Guard

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Rock Slide

This is a random team that I built a few months ago, basically I just felt like building with Torterra and winging it from there. I started out with Mega Charizard Y + Torterra, figuring that there could be some synergy between the two and that Wide Guard can support the former. At that point, it went from supporting the duo by getting stuff that can deal with threats; Scrafty was somewhat useful for limiting physical attackers with Intimidate and dealing with Hydreigon, while Substitute Aegislash is there to deal with Latios and other stuff while giving me another possible wincon. Offensive Thundurus is there for the speed control, as decent-ish bird answer, and as another answer to Waters because heck yeah screw them; it's also there to just give the team more of a punch as an attacker. HP Ice is because Hydreigon is a PTA, not like I'll miss Flash Cannon for Mega Diancie since Thunderbolt will still hit like a truck and I have plenty of ways around it. Kyurem-B is there for the Speed safety net and serves as a way to gun down opposing Scarf Landorus-T, with Rock Slide as the final move for reasons you should already know. Overall, this is just a fun squad that I use occasionally, it's good enough that I could prolly use it in a serious tour game lol but yeah.

What is the purpose of this thread?
As stated above, this thread is meant to be a place where anyone can post a team they want to share with everyone without having to write a full RMT. This is not a place to dump your entire builder, but a place to showcase teams you think represent your best work or an innovative strategy. You even have a chance to be featured in the Team Showcase (coming soon)! Additionally, this can be a place for discussion about teambuilding trends or ideas. Posts like this one or this one, for example, now have a new home!

What is the difference between this thread and the Team Showcase?
In order to highlight the best teams in the tier, we decided to create the Sample Teams and Team Showcase thread (coming soon). That thread will contain sample teams in their classic form in the OP, but will also have other standout teams populating the rest of the thread. That thread will be permanently locked, and only teams posted in this thread deemed worthy of further praise will be moved to that thread. In order to be eligible for consideration for the Team Showcase thread, your post must have the following:
  • Full importable of the team
  • Coherent and sufficient description of the team (nothing too fancy, around a paragraph is ideal)
  • Sprites in some form (who doesn't love a good aesthetically pleasing post)
There is no formal nomination process for the Team Showcase; the DOU Council will decide which teams to include. Please do not message us asking for your team to be added - we will see which teams are posted and decide to showcase the best!

Happy posting!

Here's a hard Trick Room team thats seen quite a lot of use in the kickoff tour and has done well for multiple people on the ladder. The general idea is to be able to set TR very consistently at least once, and always have a lot of offensive pressure to make the most of your turns.

:ss/hatterene-gmax::ss/indeedee-f::ss/rhyperior::ss/torkoal::ss/reuniclus::ss/dusclops:

https://pokepast.es/ea4adfec1d875dd0

The build of the team is very simple, 3 TR setters (2 of which can do lots of damage too), 1 support and 2 main attackers. However, theres a lot going on that makes the team function nicely.

Indeedee is an amazing support for TR, being able to redirect most attacks to faciliate the initial setup. Its Psychic Surge is able to deny Fake Out as an option to stop TR, and forms a 'psychic spam' core of sorts with Hatterene and Reuniclus. It is able to strengthen its partners with Helping Hand and also get off the field to bring in an attacker quickly. Healing Wish is also useful to get out of Gothitelle's trap as an attempt to stall TR turns. The EVs let you live a Helping Hand boosted LO Dragon Darts from Dragapult, which is one of the few moves that can bypass Focus Sash.

Hatterene is the teams primary setter, as it has Magic Bounce to block Taunts and Sleep Powders while also being extremely strong from the offset with a Life Orb. The moves are very standard, and don't be afraid to dynamax it and go for confusions with G-max Smite if you need to.

Dusclops is the second main setter of the team. It may not have any offensive presence by itself, but its huge bulk gives the team a nice level of consistency in setting TR more than once during a game. Will-o-Wisp can slow down physical threats like opposing Rhyperior, and I have actually used it on my partner before to get around Yawn pressure. Brick Break is nice for breaking screens set by G-max Lapras, but also has the use of activating your own Rhyperiors Weakness Policy and sweeping on the spot.

Rhyperior, Reuniclus and Torkoal can all do massive damage under TR. Reuniclus is picked because it can also set TR in an emergency late game. Torkoal has Solar Beam to help with the mirror matchup, it can hit opposing Rhyperior hard and underspeeds when TR is up.

In terms of playing with the team, the biggest challenge is getting your lead correct. If you don't it can be really hard to get a foothold in the game and set TR up. I will go through a couple of things to look for in team preview:

1) Heavy damage spread attackers. Examples include Sylveon and Charizard. If you see more than one of these, then Dusclops Indeedee will be the best lead most of the time. This covers for any dynamaxing going on and has enough bulk to live both spread moves and set TR.

2) Duraludon. Another scary mon because it can bypass the redirection from Indeedee and has Dragon Tail to stop Dusclops/Reuniclus from setting TR. The best lead I've found has been Rhyperior Dusclops. You have immediate offense on the Duraludon with Max Quake, since it can't dynamax and use Dragon Tail. This lead of course doesn't account for dangerous partners like Dracovish, so is the toughest pokemon for this team to deal with.

If you see neither of these, then just a simple Indeedee Hatterene lead will usually suffice. Keep Dusclops healthy to almost guarantee a second TR setup once you've used up a lot of the opposing teams resources in dealing with TR. The only pokemon that never dynamax are Indeedee and Dusclops, so its just a matter of picking the right pokemon for the sitation. Torkoal rarely dynamaxes too, since you prefer the spread damage from Eruption. If you can set Rhyperiors Weakness Policy and have it dynamax, a lot of games can just end on the spot.

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Here's a team that I've been using recently and have reached #5 on the ladder with. It's been quite reliable and is one of my top teams at the moment. It has a neat gimmick (Fling + WP) which is actually pretty good, but there is also a version without it if that's not your style.

:ss/whimsicott: :ss/dragapult: :ss/corviknight: :ss/tyranitar: :ss/excadrill: :ss/rotom-wash:
Whimsicott @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Fling
- Tailwind
- Taunt

Dragapult @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
So this team is built around a gimmick that I seen on ladder and decided to steal. The idea is you use Fling with Whimiscott onto Dragapult, activating Weakness Policy and giving the boost from berry. The person I seen had Liechi Berry (+Attack) but I think Salac Berry (+Speed) is best. Dragapult is slower than Whimsicott so that it can attack immediately with the boosts, meaning you aren't as lightning quick as usual, but given that you still outspeed basically everything unboosted bar yourself that's not much of a loss. With +1 Speed from Salac you'll also be super duper speedy, outspeeding even stuff like +1 Charizard, Ludicolo in rain, and some middling speed Pokemon in Tailwind like Sylveon. This gimmick doesn't require much in the teambuilder and isn't always necessary to use in battles, but can be very strong. This team functions quite well even outside of Fling, and is overall quite solid.

The rest of the team is rounded out with goodstuffs; Bulk Up Corviknight is a great bulky wincon, sand is sand, and Rotom-Wash is a nice defensive pivot. To explain the movesets/spreads, Dragapult is EVed to outspeed +1 Adamant Tyranitar, and Corviknight is Sp Def since I've found it useful for ensuring it can take a special hit when needed. I used to have physical Clear Body Dragapult before but then realised special was better, having better STABs, Fire coverage, helping against veil, and better balancing the physical/special split on this team. Tyranitar is offensive WP DD since Weakness Policy is stupid good, and I've found Dragon Dance to be the best 3rd moveslot option. You don't always use it, but it can come in clutch in certain situations. Also, max speed means you move before Sylveon which is nice. Excadrill is Jolly for opposing Excadrill, and Rotom-W is EVed to outspeed Jolly Gyarados. This lets Rotom burn or KO most physical attackers before they can move.

Whimsicott + Dragapult is the ideal lead combo against teams without something to stop Fling, but isn't required. Follow Me, Fake Out, sand, and opposing Whimsicott are the kind of things which should discourage this sort of lead. The gimmick doesn't need to be used right away (or even at all), with getting the combo in later from KOs or Volt Switch into two Pokemon slower than Whimsicott being quite doable. Sometimes you don't even need to use Fling to activate WP, as with the bulk investment and Dynamax you can often just tank a super effective hit to procc it. I've never used Fling onto any other teammate since Tailwind is strictly better, but I have activated Tyranitar's WP before with a side Moonblast which is heat. Sand and Dragapult are the offensive backbone of the team and so usually underlie the gameplan for winning, with the other teammates supporting them. However, against teams where Corviknight is quite strong, aiming for a win with that is also viable, particularly if you save Dynamax to let it power through when needed. With a couple of Bulk Ups under its belt, spamming Max Airstream can easily lead to a win. Versus Trick Room you have Taunt and double Rock Slide to help prevent it, but when it does go up stalling with Protect and in particular Rotom is key, positioning yourself so that you have sand/Drag/Whims out when Trick Room ends.

At its core, this is a team of strong Pokemon that synergise well (three Tier 1s and three Tier 2s going by the current VR), so it's not surprising that it's been one of my most reliable teams. It does have a fun gimmick strat, but as I said above, Fling doesn't take up much of the team and isn't necessary for it to work. If you want, you can use a version without Fling like this which is also solid.

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

https://pokepast.es/6ca4bb0540af32d1

Another take on Trick Room, with inspiration taken from XY's checkroom build.

Jellicent is a really good alternative to Dusclops as a bulky Trick Room setter. Its naturally high bulky lets it run Colbur Berry as extra insurance against Tyranitar and Hydregion, and Strength Sap is an absurdly good recovery move that gives Jellicent something useful to do while TR is up. Any target with decently high attack is pretty much a full HP recovery for Jellicent.

Scrafty is well worthwhile on this team, at the expense of a third TR setter. The intimidate support is helpful, and its Fake Out utility gives you multiple options for setting TR both in the early game and late game. Being able to force out Tyranitar and other Dark and Ghost types is really useful imo for this team composition. Life Orb is mainly just used as homage to checkroom's Scrafty set, but it actually does make Scrafty a pretty good offensive threat. I almost ran HJK as well but Close Combat is too good to pass up in gen 8 :)

The only other notable tweak I made compared to Aray's version of TR is the Hatterene set. I definitely think Babiri Berry is the best item, as it lets you reliably set up Trick Room in front of Duraludon.

The rest of the team is pretty much just standard TR. Bulldoze > Protect on Torkoal to proc Rhyperior's Weakness Policy.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1056787040
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1056782163

Yeti + Rain

There is no doubt that Sand is pretty popular in both DOU and VGC. There is also no doubt that Togekiss and Dragapult are the usual choice of fairy and dragon, respectively, and even more so as a common core. However, the idea of creating a team based on these mons (Sand + Togekiss + Dragapult) would've made it just another Sand variant....

As of result, I decided to create a team using their second-rate alternates, Rain and the core of Grimmsnarl + Duraludon. I added Darmanitan-G for its super, effective move set and Gothitelle cause it's a darn good support. When I tested the team in the ladder, it actually performed pretty well, so I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to share it.

When I made this team, I really wanted Grimmsnarl, Duraludon, and Darmanitan-G to be at least in the same team, so that was my priority.
  1. First, I decided that I wanted to use Grimmsnarl in a more offensive approach, so I gave it both its STAB moves. I didn't see the need of giving it Fake Out since there are two other potential users already in the team. I still kept Thunder Wave, though, because it gave some opponents a false hope of using TW or a fast mon against my team.
  2. Likewise, I approached Duraludon in a similar manner (offenseive). Rather than putting AV or WP on it, I saw Protect as a better means to maintain its ground. Now, Darmanitan-G is pure HO. Its main role is to take care of Charizard, Dragons, and Steels. With the right support, it can really go on a rampage.
The next mon I want to talk about is Gothitelle. It works as the stronghold for the team. When the situation calls for it, Gothitelle can easily dismantle TR or opposing weather. I would say it is involved in most of the team's victory-guaranteeing strategies. I'll talk more about it in the next section.

Rain is pretty much self-explanatory.

Note: The team is Battle Stadium / VGC convertible.

+

Use Gothitelle and Darmanitan-G. Fake Out + Rock Slide ensures that Charizard is eliminated. Thanks to Gothitelle's Shadow Tag, you can dynamax Darmanitan-G to eliminate Whimsicott via Max Flare or Max Hailstorm, which ever you prefer; two rock slides won't eliminate it. Just be sure not to send out Pelipper on this turn because the weather will change via Gmax moves.

+

Use Gothitelle and Darmanitan-G, again. Fake Out + Icicle Crash Togekiss and Dragapult, respectively. If Dragapult use Protect on the first turn, utilize Ally Switch so that Darmanitan-G can eliminate Togekiss and proceed to Dragapult if possible.

+

Use Gothitelle and Duraludon. Duraludon ignores redirection so it can OHKO Hatterene (or 2HKO if Babiri Berry stands in its way). In cases that Hatterene barely survives and sets up TR, just eliminate them right there; Gothitelle's Shadow Tag prevents them from escaping.
You can also use Gothitelle's ability and Grimmsnarl's Gmax move (Snooze) to stall TR and eliminate other TR setting mons. Gothitelle's Taunt can stop TR itself.

Send out Gothitelle and Grimmsnarl. Gothitelle can use Taunt on the Redirector or TR setter, and Grimmsnarl can use Foul Play on the next turn. Snorlax is guaranteed to be eliminated.

Grimmsnarl-Gmax @ Sitrus Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Foul Play
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Gothitelle @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 196 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fake Out
- Ally Switch
- Taunt
- Psychic

Duraludon @ Life Orb
Ability: Stalwart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Protect
- Thunderbolt

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Fake Out

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Icicle Crash
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz

Last edited:

Hamlette

Banned deucer.
This is my aurora veil (well, Max-Resonance) team! I've been doing pretty well with them in the ladder. Weakness Policy is already great with Dynamax, it's even better with aurora veil!

Importable here!

The cornerstone of the team is Gmax Lapras, who can set aurora veil with Max Resonance to help herself and Tyranitar tank hits and trigger WP. Freeze-Dry and Hydro Pump grants her completely unresisted coverage. Thunderbolt deals extra damage against opposing Lapras, Corviknight, and water-types when Gigantamaxed, as Freeze-Dry loses its super-effectiveness - electric terrain also helps against Yawn and Sleep users. 12Spe EVs allow it to (other than speed creep), under Tailwind, outspeed max speed Arcanine and move before Snarl.

Gmax Lapras takes halved damage from sandstorm, that Tyranitar sets; under sand and AV, she can survive most super-effective hits to trigger WP and send back powerful hits. The set runs Stealth Rock for the chip damage and breaking sash, but Brick Break can be used instead to deal with Excadrill/Tyranitar cores and to break screens. 8Spe allows it to (other than speed creep), under Tailwind, outspeed max speed Arcanine and move before Will-o-Wisp, and also outspeed her teammate Lapras by 1 (easing planning).

Excadrill pairs nicely with Tyranitar's Sand Stream; Focus Sash and Jolly helps him beat opposing Excadrills, especially if SR defeats their sash.
Support Arcanine help achieve the goal of WP and in many matchups. Flamethrower is used over Heat Wave for the superior power.
Whimsicott's Tailwind support is invaluable for every mon in the team. She is offensive oriented, alleviating matchups against Fighting-types like Conkeldurr, who can tank WP-boosted STABs and threaten both Lapras and Tyranitar. Sash is used as she has no bulk investment.
The Dragapult is your standard LO special Dragapult, Timid as he very often meets his brethren; Fire Blast to threaten Ferrothorn and Corviknight; Thunderbolt could be used instead, as Milotic can be an issue.

There's multiple lead options, Arcanine+Whimsicott or Dragapult+Whimsicott to set tailwind is generally a good pairing; Lapras+Arcanine could be used to quickly set aurora veil, soften offensive mons and switch Tyranitar in; Tyranitar+Excadrill or Tyranitar+Lapras can be options too.

All in all I think this a pretty good set in the pre-Home meta, and I am happy to have spent that much time building it and had lots of fun with it, and I hope you will too!:)

Last edited:

Octillery @ Choice Specs
Ability: Moody
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower

Barraskewda @ Life Orb
Ability: Propeller Tail
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Throat Chop
- Close Combat
- Protect

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- High Horsepower
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Helping Hand
- Worry Seed

Braviary (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Tailwind
- Protect

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Protect

This team started with me trying to find new ways to get past fullroom, which was extremely popular at the time. I was a bit annoyed that the counterplay to fullroom was to just let Trick Room go up and to just withhold the onslaught. There were some mons/cores, such as Whimsicott, that I wanted to use but were a liability against fullroom. I wanted to be able to use fast offensive teams in my seasonal sets without being as concerned about being weaker to fullroom. So I decided to try and make a core that would ideally beat fullroom by itself and would hopefully deter anyone from bringing fullroom against me in later rounds.

Fullroom itself is heavily reliant on Indeedee getting a turn 1 Trick Room because all the TR setters are either frail, weak to Ghost/Dark or both, so I figured it could be abused relatively easily. Octillery just so happened to have the highest special attack of all the legal Water Spout users, while Barraskewda had one of 2 redirection ignoring abilities in the game. It turns out that this core is able to often defeat standard fullroom by itself. Moody was also recently banned at the time, which allows Octillery to gain boosts and sweep if the opponent happens to let it live for a few turns. The main idea with the pair is to Dynamax Barraskewda turn 1 and use either Max Darkness or Geyser to set up Octillery's Choice Specs Water Spout to finish the opponent. Fullroom teams that lack Butterfree or Jellicent have very limited options to deal with Barraskewda + Octillery. When boosted by rain or the -1 Spdef drop from Max Darkness Water Spout does incredible damage. Any fullroom player that wasn't prepared for an Octillery onslaught would sometimes lose all 6 pokemon in 3 turns and the majority of times this team played fullroom it won 6-0.

The rest of the team was just Whimsicott + 3 strong attackers. Dracozolt is really fun to use and appreciates having 2 water types to deal with opposing ground types and will often Dynamax in non fullroom matchups. Braviary adds some insurance against intimidate and provides a second Tailwind to maintain speed control. Finally Excadrill finishes the team with some nice resistances and a second Focus Sash that helps prevent the team from being overrun if it manages to lose momentum. Octillery and Barraskewda are still useful outside the fullroom matchup. Octillery is able to outspeed everything except Dragapult in Tailwind and fire off its powerful Water Spouts or Dynamax to take advantage of its excellent coverage.

While it isn't the strongest team ever it is very fun to play and can hold its own against other solid teams. This team was one of the most fun teams I've used and if you're ever scared of your opponent running fullroom against maybe try building with the Barraskewda + Octillery core, if you lose you will at least have some fun in the process.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Octillery Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torkoal in Sun: 348-410 (101.1 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Barraskewda Throat Chop (130BP) vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Eviolite Dusclops: 192-229 (67.6 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Octillery Water Spout (150 BP) vs. -1 252 HP / 160+ SpD Dusclops in Sun: 124-147 (43.6 - 51.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
Switching in Torkoal to try and survive Max Darkness + Water Spout results in 2 KOs

252+ SpA Choice Specs Octillery Water Spout (150 BP) vs. -1 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 381-448 (119.8 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Barraskewda Throat Chop (130BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hatterene: 204-240 (64.1 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Leading (non-sash) Hatterene + Dusclops and using Trick Room with both results in 2 KOs. Gigantamaxing Hatterene turn 1 results in a damage roll to survive. Barraskewda is using Max Darkness instead of Geyser to cover the Torkoal sac. Trying to Dynamax Torkoal risks losing both mons to Max Geyser + Water Spout.

One of the best ways for fullroom to survive is to lead Hatterene + Dusclops and switch Dusclops to Torkoal and Gigantamax Hatterene and kill the Torkoal. The fullroom player probably still has to dodge some Bolt Beaks from Dracozolt to win the game afterwards though.

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Parting Shot

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Beat Up

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Heal Pulse
- Ally Switch

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Protect

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 44 HP / 168 Atk / 68 Def / 8 SpD / 222 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Body Press
- High Horsepower
- Thunder Punch

Hi guys, Elegy2019 here!
So I thought I would share this team I been using lately in a alt and has decent matchup for most of the threats in the new meta post home. I figured this will also help people who are struggling to figure out how to team build for the new meta after home dropped.
The team started with the stupid beat up Terra-cott core which is kinda broken. Its ur usual whimsicott with twind for speed control and moonblast for stab.
Terrakion has lum berry if mons think they can status it(looking at u Grimmsnarl). Other than that, it’s ur standard terrakion set.
Incineroar is just a way better Arcanine and actually kinda borderline broken when paired with gothitelle. I have 40 speed to hit 166 to match no speed bold or calm goths.
Goth gives the team another speed control option with trick room for Torkoal. And I’m p certain everyone knows by now how busted shadow tag goth is.
Torkoal beats the melmetals u see everywhere, and gives the team a strong presence when tr is active.
I thought AV melmetal compliments this team better. This av melmetal set is p fire ngl. U have 222 speed to hit 160 to out speed modest no speed lapras and no speed modest sylveons outside twind.
252 SpA Charizard Max Flare (130 BP) vs. 44 HP / 12 SpD Assault Vest Melmetal: 350-414 (82.9 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Although this isn’t the best team I have ever made, it is fun to play with and performs decent against most teams in the post home meta.

Last edited:

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Flapple Bottom (Flapple) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Grav Apple
- Dragon Rush
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Genes (Mew) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Imprison
- Stealth Rock
- Transform

Boots w the Fur (Zeraora) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Switch
- Plasma Fists
- Thunder Wave

The Whole Club (Falinks) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- No Retreat
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Throat Chop

Hit The Floor (Gothitelle) @ Kasib Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Gravity
- Trick Room
- Fake Out
- Taunt

Low Low Low Low (Toxtricity-Low-Key) @ Throat Spray
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Overdrive
- Sludge Bomb
- Boomburst
- Protect
This team was a creation in call one evening by Sage Ezrael and myself. Flapple is the star of the show, it's a good max with Hustle but it also does big damage non-maxed if goth can set up TR and especially Gravity for it. Zeraora has some really nifty synergy with Toxtricity, Plasma Fists turns on Boomburst, which is a 140 BP spread electric move that gets a 1.3x boost from its ability and heals Zeraora for 25% thanks to Volt Absorb. Falinks is pretty filler atm and it could probably be replaced with a redirection mon such as Togekiss or Blastoise with the nickname "Lookin at Her". Jail Mew was chosen partly because I wanted to try it out, but it has nice synergy with Gothitelle and gives the team outs against endgame lastmons.

Last edited:

sawamura

Banned deucer.
Hi c:, i wait for this moment. Supp my Mish Brothers I come here with this team, I will be very brief
:Incineroar::torkoal::melmetal::Venusaur::Necrozma::Zeraora::
The Team Based on two Forms of play that Basically Can Sweep from in Turn 1 (kappa), Melmetal
It is a very solid mon With Good Statistics and very Bulk and Absolutely Stupid Damage
and we will take it Asault V ,The Team Based on two Forms of play that Basically Can Sweep from in Turn 1 (kappa), Melmetal
It is a very solid mon With Good Statistics and very Bulk and Absolutely Stupid Damage
and we will take Asault Vest to give more solidity to Hatterene even so with his Mistyc Fire
you can take it out in front of a Terracott (as long as you use the Dynamax on the First Turn and
you can put Trick Room to Top with Necrozma and Torkoal Under the Conditions Created

Venusaur and Zeraora They are our Mon Out of the Trick Room To overcome the Dragapult in speed
(i hate you) Zeraora gives Guaranteed Ohko A dragapult With knock off and Venu can Kill mons as
Milotic that the Truth is that it fucks a little but nothing that we can Control, Incinerate a
fundamental piece (what a coincidence) since it allows you to resist and eat melmetal Hits and with
parting shot we can make a good pivot that allows us to win Momentun sometimes Critical
to Flip Games or Rather Close Epically

Melmetal with 159 Speed to beat Ttar 252atack 252Hp and. Mostly the Dyanamax
They are Necrozma and Melmetal Mainly in 70% of the occasions because the Mons that with
their In Dynamax provide Statistics that helps to tough More or give that Small Coverage
that your teammates require.

I hope you liked

Thanx Elegy2019
for helping me with the modifications That I needed

Hey, what is the matter? such a nice meta-game right? recently I have been in the way of creating a new team and stuff. Though I have not played in a while and it makes me sad :/ , nevermind I tested many compositions, and realized about three important facts:

Memetal is basically Metagross on steroids, MEMEtal has a lot of damage and an obscent bulk, just think about in a dynamax Memetal, this mon should be S tier.

Incineroar is even more annoying than in gen 7, now it obtains parting shot lmao, I dont use it, but is a really good. who actually needs arcanine?

Beat up is insane solid , maybe broken, maybe not. I guess you can stop it with any *follow me* user. But is kind of sad to be playing blastoise or togemish, just for stopping beat up setters. Also you can run worry seed on whimsicott, or ramdom weezing, even you can stop terrakion with dynamax venusaur in sun, with grassinium, but I am not pretty sure if it is balanced.

this is my team, it is just a simple beat up, with transform mew, to make the meme double, see ya XOXOXX
say WHattttttt (Terrakion) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

Aneurysm (Dragapult) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Beat Up
- Protect
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force

mudamudamuda (Incineroar) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 224 HP / 36 Atk / 220 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Snarl
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz

haha,classic (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 44 SpA / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ally Switch

memeTAL (Melmetal) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 140 HP / 116 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Body Press
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Thunder Punch

YO WHATS UP (Mew) @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Tailwind
- Transform
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock

:Melmetal::Mew::Incineroar::Dragapult::Terrakion::Rotom-Wash:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
RAIN ROOM

Melmetal @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Brick Break
- Protect

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Muddy Water

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Necrozma @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Ally Switch
- Earth Power
- Photon Geyser

Kommo-o @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 52 HP / 240 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Aura Sphere
- Protect
Melly is super good but its biggest problem is special fire so I deiced to make rain room. It helps vs fire by reducing the power of guys like torkoal while also disrupting sand which is super popular. Rotom-H is also a disrupter with trick scarf. Komo rounds out the team with good resist and can act as a strong win con in match ups where TR and rain fail

Not many post-home teams here and none with Charizard sun so I'll throw in my sun team that I used to qualify for DLT.

Charizard-Gmax @ Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Torkoal @ Room Service
Ability: Drought
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 17 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fake Out
- Trick Room
- Ally Switch
- Low Sweep

Melmetal @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Thunder Punch
- Protect

Lapras-Gmax @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 12 Spe
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunderbolt
- Ancient Power
- Protect

The first 5 mons are pretty much standard for sun right now. 17 Speed IV Room Service Torkoal should let you always win the Torkoal speed war, outspeeding minimum speed Torkoal outside Trick Room and also Level 99 Torkoal in Trick Room thanks to Room Service (beware Iron Ball Torkoal however). I went with Earth Power over Body Press because I felt Incineroar was not as relevant on the ladder and I was pretty much guaranteed to move before opposing Torkoal. Running speed on Melmetal is kinda weird but Gothitelle moving first in Trick Room to use Low Sweep is more important than being slow.
For the last slot I was most worried about the sun mirror, particularly Charizard, and also wanted some insurance against random ladder stuff. Kiichikos used Terrakion in the last slot for his SPL team but I decided to go for Lapras. Lapras is here to make the team more consistent on the ladder and to have something that can beat Charizard without going for the speed tie with my own. Having Veil while laddering was extremely useful in avoiding random ladder cheese and dealing with tougher matchups. I originally had Perish Song but I rarely used it so I decided to switch to Ancientpower to be able to deal with Charizard slightly better. Gothitelle + GMax Lapras will usually beat or trade with a GMax Charizard lead, depending on damage rolls and Ally Switch predictions. While this is a solid team it is built to be consistent on the ladder so if you want to bring sun to a tournament game you may want to consider some tweaks, such as Body Press on Torkoal.

Been playing this team on and off for the past month and finally decided to post it while I can still use it:

Beartic @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Slush Rush
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Liquidation
- Play Rough

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Icy Wind
- Hypnosis
- Heal Bell

Melmetal @ Weakness Policy
Brave Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Thunder Punch
- Rock Slide

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Follow Me
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Parting Shot
- Taunt

Some Pokemon get left behind with each new generation, and some adapt to stay relevant. And then there is the very occasional Pokemon that generally gets consistently better with each new generation. That's where Beartic comes in. First arriving in BW as a generally-underwhelming mono-Ice mon with Swift Swim and base 110 Attack, it was, at best, a fringe option for Rain teams. Three generations later, its Attack is 20 points higher, it now has Slush Rush, it can Dynamax, and it can utilize both Weakness Policy and Aurora Veil. With all these toys to play around with, Beartic can be a real powerhouse when given the right setup.

A brief description of each Pokemon:
  • Beartic - A powerful Hail sweeper with Base 130 Attack that is faster than a neutral-Speed Dragapult under Slush Rush. Icicle Crash is your main STAB attack, while the other 3 attacks provide coverage against Steel, Fire, and Fighting-types respectively.
  • Alolan Ninetales - I like to describe it as the Hail-and-Veil Pokemon, since it sets up both of those things so Beartic can go to town. Its Base 109 Speed also comes in handy for offering up a speedy Hypnosis or Icy Wind to further slow down opposing threats. Heal Bell is also there to heal status conditions, as Beartic doesn't like Paralysis or Burn in particular.
  • Melmetal - A Plan B option when Beartic isn't practical or doesn't work out. Also appreciates Aurora Veil support and can function much better than Beartic in Trick Room.
  • Dragapult - Handy for dealing with various things Beartic struggles against (e.g. opposing Melmetal), and also provides a badly needed Fire resistance.
  • Togekiss - Useful for deflecting attacks away with Follow Me, plus it also has Tailwind in case Beartic (or anything else) needs the extra Speed and Hail isn't up. Dazzling Gleam and Heat Wave are some extra attacking options it can use when needed.
  • Incineroar - It's Incineroar. This particular set is actually based on a pre-Home Morpeko set I used to use to decent success (with Aura Wheel instead of Knock Off).

Last edited:
I saw some chat in the discord about people wanting sample teams. I decided to make up some standard looking teams for some of the main archetypes right now, based on tour games and ladder usage, so we can get some sample teams. Some spreads (particularly Incineroar, Togekiss and Hitmontop) and some sets (physical vs special Dragapult and Melmetal sets) might be a bit off because I'm not entirely sure what everyone is running on them and usage stats give me either 252/252 spreads or spreads that don't mean anything to me. It would be nice if we could start an EV spread compendium thread like we did in SM.

Terrakion Sun: https://pokepast.es/306696cbd8861ab6
Incineroar Sun: https://pokepast.es/19b339e36f04f7d8
No Trick Room Sun: https://pokepast.es/eef96ea91209f200

The typical Sun core consists of Torkoal, GMax Charizard, Venusaur, Melmetal and Gothitelle with the last slot being fairly open. Necrozma can sometimes be used over Gothitelle. Kiichikos used a Terrakion as his 6th member for SPL and Incineroar is a solid mon that sees some usage on the ladder. I also posted a Lapras version a couple of weeks ago. Sun typically tries to overwhelm the opponent with Charizard and Venusaur or with Torkoal and Melmetal under Trick Room. The no Trick Room version is based off a team Ezrael and Frania have been using. I put Body Press Torkoal over Earth Power due to a recent resurgence of sand, although this might be overkill considering the team already has Hitmontop.

Ezrael vs Stax (SPL): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8doublesou-477843
Kiichikos vs Marilli (SPL): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8doublesou-479220

Togekiss + Rotom-Wash Goodstuffs: https://pokepast.es/6d0c92c7dc315f9d
Whimsicott + Keldeo Goodstuffs: https://pokepast.es/1f9ecd26f4018c78
Grimmsnarl Goodstuffs: https://pokepast.es/a6b2f1adc9c0e706

Goodstuffs teams typically run Incineroar, Dragapult, Necrozma, Melmetal and a Water type (usually Rotom-Wash but sometimes Keldeo or Gastrodon). The final slot is a bit more open, although often a Fairy type (Togekiss, Whimsicott or occasionally Grimmsnarl) takes this slot. Goodstuffs and Fake Tears offence aren't necessarily the same archetype but I figured that they are often similar enough to group together.

Ezrael vs Qsns (SPL): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8doublesou-477439
MajorBowman vs Stax (SPL): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8doublesou-476949

Keldeo Sand: https://pokepast.es/8a323f34afe416fd
Gastrodon + Corviknight Sand: https://pokepast.es/7f7281ae6499dd23

After dropping off slightly post-Home sand is starting to regain popularity in order to check the popular sun teams that are dominating the meta. Incineroar, Togekiss and a Water type are the mons typically paired with the Excadrill + Tyranitar core. The Gastrodon + Corviknight team is based off a team that SMB and LightScreener have been using in DLT playoffs.

LightScreener vs Shadowmonstr7 (DPL playoffs): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1086001631-ldf4iqigmsmatdszjv8h89z40tandeypw
Ezrael vs SMB (SPL): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8doublesou-479426

Hey guys, I just made a team centered around best boi Falinks, and I wanted to see if you guys have any suggestions.

Importable here: https://pokepast.es/1387dc34585e6ae6

First, let's take a look at the two stars of the show, Falinks and Indeedee

Legio IX (Falinks) @ Psychic Seed
Adamant Nature
- No Retreat
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Throat Chop

Falinks is the main sweeper on this team. Its function is to get off a No Retreat boost, then Dynamax and get Attack boosts from using Max Knuckle. Once it turns back to regular size, its Attack stat has been raised by 4 stages and will almost guarantee an OHKO on any Pokemon in the tier, with the only thing that can stand up to it being maybe Deoxys-Defense. The Psychic Seed item that Falinks holds gives it a boost to its Special Defense once exposed to Psychic Terrain, and Indeedee's ability Psychic Surge sets up Psychic Terrain upon entering the field. Psychic Terrain also has the added bonus of nullifying priority moves (moves that always hit first, like Aqua Jet and Shadow Sneak) so that nothing can outspeed Falinks.

Caretaker (Indeedee-F) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ally Switch
- Psyshock
- Follow Me
- Light Screen

I chose a female Indeedee because it has greater HP and defensive stats compared to that of a male Indeedee. Indeedee goes out with Falinks to make sure that it can get off a No Retreat without being taken out first. One of Falinks's lowest stats is Special Defense, making it susceptible to many special sweepers in the tier, including Reunicles and Hatterene. Like mentioned above, it helps boost these stats to make Falinks more formidable. Other than that, it has Light Screen to raise the entire team's Special Defense, and Follow Me and Ally Switch to draw attacks towards itself so that Falinks doesn't have to take them.

All the Pokemon after Indeedee and Falinks are just meant as coverage, to counter Falinks's weaknesses to Flying, Psychic, and Fairy types.

Anger Issues (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Unnerve
Adamant Nature
- Breaking Swipe
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Heavy Slam

This one I don't generally use in battle, but Tyranitar works as a perfect counter to Flying- and Psychic- types, due to both its Rock/Dark typing and impressive bulk, as well as its high Attack stat. Rock Slide and Breaking swipe hit all opponents, allowing it to cause widespread damage, and Heavy Slam turns its weight into considerable damage against opposing Fairy-types. It has an Assault Vest because, hey, it already only has damaging moves, so why not just get a Special Defense boost as well?

You left me on (Rotom-Heat) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Nasty Plot

This Rotom-Heat is for secondary coverage against Flying-types, especially those that are Water/Flying (like Pelipper, Cramorant, and Mantine). I plan on removing Will-O-Wisp in favor of a STAB Fire-type move like Overheat, but it works well in crippling any physical attackers opponents may use. Once Will-O-Wisp is used and the opponent is burned, I use Volt Switch to switch out while dealing out a little extra damage.

Typhon (Gyarados) @ Wacan Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Bulldoze

I actually don't know why I kept this here. It works well to hinder physical attackers with its Intimidate ability, and resists Flying-type moves, but it doesn't directly STAB counter any of Falinks's weaknesses. I guess it was just for variety. Anyways, Dragon Dance allows it to boost its Attack and Speed stats at the same time, meaning it will hit faster and harder. The Wacan Berry is to ensure it survives an Electric-type attack (which it takes 4x damage from) and Bulldoze is to punish any Electric-types that dare attack it.

Clarent (Excadrill) @ Expert Belt
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Hone Claws

Last but definitely not least, Excadrill. Excadrill is a reliable counter to Fairy-type opponents, with it getting STAB on its super effective Steel-type moves. Rock Slide, just as with Tyranitar, works to hit multiple opponents at once, and Hone Claws just gives it an Attack and Accuracy boost, so it will hit harder and miss less. Lastly, since it has such a diverse movepool, I gave it an Expert Belt, so when it hits super effectively it will do more damage.

That's it for now. Please do let me know if you have any suggestions, and I thank you all in advance!

Last edited:

Hamlette

Banned deucer.
This is my post-Dmax ban team! I've been doing well with it on the 1600+ ladder!

Importable here!

Kyurem with dual STAB and Earth Power is a very strong offensive mon, despite being DUU; its ability to deal with bulky water types is especially appreciated. You can choose to run Glaciate for speed control or tech coverage like Flash Cannon over Protect or Draco Meteor.

Necrozma is a nice offensive mon that can be used in a variety of ways, including both setting and de-setting TR depending on your matchup. Earth Power allows it to hit Torkoal, Melmetal and Incineroar for heavy damage, these mons threatening its usage of TR. You may choose to run Heat Wave or Stealth Rock to ease certain matchups.

Dragapult is very splashable, its LO special set allows it to hit neutrally every mon on the tier while outspeeding all but Zeraora and scarves.

Incineroar is a very useful lead, support, intimidater, item remover, disrupter, fake outer, slowturner, blahblahblah. It's Incineroar, we get it.

Melmetal runs a acid armor set that's quite fearsome: after a single turn, it becomes practically impossible to break through with physical attackers, bar crits. Its set gives it 252+ SpD to allow it to tank special attacks a lot better than your average Metalman. Make sure to do your calcs before a move, because Double Iron Bash and Body Press are both quite counterintuitive.

FInally, Butterfree sports almost-Spore in Sleep Powder+Compound Eyes and almost-Follow Me in Rage Powder. Pollen Puff is basically a Bug Buzz + Heal Pulse in a single move, with the benefit of ignoring Taunt (which Butterfree often falls for). Hurricane gives it a strong 110BP 91% accuracy STAB move that can surprise opponents who don't expect a strong attack coming from this cutie. You may choose to run Tailwind, though Butterfree does suffer from 5MSS. With this amount of quality moves, Butterfree can threaten sleep, heal teammates, draw attacks away, while still being useful offensively.

All in all I really like this team and I hope you will have lots of fun with it like I've had!:)

This is my post-Dmax ban team! I've been doing well with it on the 1600+ ladder!

Importable here!

Kyurem with dual STAB and Earth Power is a very strong offensive mon, despite being DUU; its ability to deal with bulky water types is especially appreciated. You can choose to run Glaciate for speed control or tech coverage like Flash Cannon over Protect or Draco Meteor.

Necrozma is a nice offensive mon that can be used in a variety of ways, including both setting and de-setting TR depending on your matchup. Earth Power allows it to hit Torkoal, Melmetal and Incineroar for heavy damage, these mons threatening its usage of TR. You may choose to run Heat Wave or Stealth Rock to ease certain matchups.

Dragapult is very splashable, its LO special set allows it to hit neutrally every mon on the tier while outspeeding all but Zeraora and scarves.

Incineroar is a very useful lead, support, intimidater, item remover, disrupter, fake outer, slowturner, blahblahblah. It's Incineroar, we get it.

Melmetal runs a acid armor set that's quite fearsome: after a single turn, it becomes practically impossible to break through with physical attackers, bar crits. Its set gives it 252+ SpD to allow it to tank special attacks a lot better than your average Metalman. Make sure to do your calcs before a move, because Double Iron Bash and Body Press are both quite counterintuitive.

FInally, Butterfree sports almost-Spore in Sleep Powder+Compound Eyes and almost-Follow Me in Rage Powder. Pollen Puff is basically a Bug Buzz + Heal Pulse in a single move, with the benefit of ignoring Taunt (which Butterfree often falls for). Hurricane gives it a strong 110BP 91% accuracy STAB move that can surprise opponents who don't expect a strong attack coming from this cutie. You may choose to run Tailwind, though Butterfree does suffer from 5MSS. With this amount of quality moves, Butterfree can threaten sleep, heal teammates, draw attacks away, while still being useful offensively.

All in all I really like this team and I hope you will have lots of fun with it like I've had!:)
Well first off, I wanna thank you for putting out this team as it helped me learn the format really well. I also want to thank you for being so cool about me yoinking the team, it must have been pretty weird to see someone else use your own team. However, I would like to propose a change that I feel helps optimize the team. IMO, Reuniclus is a better choice then Necrozma. Now, hear me out, as this may sound weird, but Reuniclus has several traits that make him better then Necroz. Reuniclus is pretty niche, but in this scenario I feel like it fits better.

The most important attribute is it's ability, Magic Guard. Prism Armor is a fantastic ability, but I find that it doesn't help as much as you would think. I find that not taking any chip damage actually means that Reuniclus is harder to kill then Necroz because you have to directly target it and with full HP invest it's really bulky and pretty hard to OHKO, especially since most Pokemon not made out of tissue paper run bulk. This is really helped by an Incin lead, because it's weaker defensive side is greatly helped by intimidate. Necroz has a tendency to get barely 2HKOed by strong neutral hits and then chipped to death. Reuniclas get's an even harder 2HKO but you then have to target it again, which gives your teammate valuable turns while trick room is up. This means that Reuniclus will almost always take two attacks to kill, while you could just hit Necroz with a strong move then wear it down with chip and ignore it, which is something that I find happens a lot. The last thing magic guard does is actually huge, as it allows recoil free life orb, which makes it significantly more powerful then Necroz and becomes a legit offensive threat, because while Necroz was max invested, it didn't feel really powerful because Ground and Psychic don't have a lot of synergy, and neither does heat wave, because even though it has a better neutral matchup it's even weaker because it's spread.

Now, in terms of longevity, Reuniclus is way better then Necroz even though it's bulk is significantly worse. This is mainly because of Magic Guard, But two huge factors are helping hand and it's increased attack power. That may sound weird, but it's true. The biggest problem with Necroz is how often it's just useless. It sets up trick room but is then relegated to attacking and protect. It becomes dead weight, and you're forced to switch out or just let it sit around and do nothing. Reuniclus can always be doing something to help. Whether it be firing off a much more powerful stab psychic or the unreliable yet very deadly focus blast, or using helping hand to get huge damage, it always has a use, It can't even touch Sableye, but Sable can't do jack shit in return because of magic guard. On that topic, neither can Grimsnarl. Reuniclus serves as the best status blocker in the game.

Another benefit is Reuniclus's god awful speed, as it underspeeds so much and becomes ultra fast in Trick Room, and is faster then basically everything but Dusclops and Hatterene, which means that it's increased power is really helpful because it's now much faster. Necroz, while slow, is still too fast for it's own good. Honestly, doubles is the only meta where having 78 speed is too fast.

The last thing I want to talk about is movepool, because Reuniclus's is fantastic. Specifically, it gets helping hand, which is huge. It allows huge spread damage, and enormous single target damage onto something that would take a hit. You could also run recover, although I don't think it's worth it because helping hand is just so useful.

Specifically, I would recommend this set for your team as it is basically the same idea as your Necroz set except a bit more optimized.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast

Basically, the gist is that you trade quite a bit of bulk for more longevity, speed, power, and much better support. While I can absolutely see why you would favor Necroz, Reuniclus just has so many unique upsides that it's more then worth it for the green blob.

Now, to be fair, I want to shed some more light on necroz's upsides. First off, This set loses to psychic types, however, Earth Power doesn't really do much to them either and you normally have Incin right there to handle them, although that's also true for Necroz. You lose out on the ability ignoring of Photon Geyser, so some matchups can be worse. The most important upside to Necroz is it's bulk, as it has 30 points of defense and 20 in SpD along with Prism armor, which is quite a lot.

Those are the upsides to Necroz vs. Reuniclus, with really only one big one for Necroz, although it is a pretty big one.

Well, that's about it. Overall, Reuniclus has a unique combination of traits that, in my opinion, are more fitting for this team.

Well, there's my way too in depth analysis of one part of one team. Honestly I don't think I could make an inaugural post that's better representative of how I am then this. Anyways, I hope you appreciate my attempt to go way, way too in depth on this one topic. On a side note, I'd like this to also be a case for Reuniclus as a whole, as I find him to have a solid niche where he isn't overshadowed. Personally, I would put him in tier 4. Anyways, thank you to anyone who read this gigantic wall of text and I hope this will serve as a comprehensive breakdown on both why Reuniclus is better in this team and a general overview of Necroz vs. Reuniclus. I was just looking for something other then Necroz for the team because of the reasons I mentioned below experimented with a variety of Pokemon and finally settled on the cute green blob. Please tell me if I said something particularly stupid or ignorant. I probably did.

:ss/Runerigus: :ss/Grimmsnarl:

I call this team, the Knights Templar.

Runerigus and Grimmsnarl are gonna be the most common lead, Grimmsnarl can set up dual Screens with light clay, and Runerigus can guaranteed set up Stealth Rock, and if the opponents team does not contain poison type, Toxic Spikes. Another lead is Runerigus and Corviknight, because of all the Intimidate Incineroar going around, Mirror Armour Corviknight will bounce back Intimidate, then you can either U-Turn out or switch out into Chandelure to absorb the fire attack and start launching nuke-like Heat Waves and Shadow Balls.

:ss/Conkeldurr: :ss/Chandelure:

Conkeldurr and Chandelure are your heavy hitters. Flame orb + Guts Conkeldurr is a status immune bulky pokemon, with Drain Punch and slightly over 600 Attack power with this loadout. Chandelure also provides more type coverage, and counters Whimsicott, which outspeeds and almost completely walls Conkeldurr, even with Ice Punch. As well Energy Ball on CHandelure stopps bulky Water Types, including Gastrodon, which walls Conkeldurr, once again, even with Ice Punch. Colbur Berry on Chandelure makes sure that Knock Off is survivable form the likes of Intimidate OCnkeldurr, which chandelure is sometimes switching into.

:ss/Rotom-Wash: :ss/Corviknight:

Rotom-W and Corviknigth form what is usually a singles core called "Volt-Turn." As said above, Corviknight is able to bait fire attacks to go into Chandelure, but if Chandelure goes down, because of a prediction Knock-Off or the like, then Rotom-W can absorb a resisted fire hit. Additionally Corviknight is able to act like a late game cleaner, however with choice band, you need to pick your moves carefully. Additionally Rotom-W's Will-O-Wisp can cripple any boosted physicl attackers, both of these pokemon are critical to making sure dangerous sweepers like COnkeldurr and Dracovish do not get out of hand. As well Corviknight and Rotom-W form a heavy defensive core, physically and specially respectivly.

Importable:

=== [gen8doublesou] The Knights Templar===

Hugh de Payens (Runerigus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Toxic Spikes
- Shadow Claw

Robert de Craon (Conkeldurr) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Everard des Barres (Grimmsnarl) (M) @ Light Clay
Adamant Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough

Bernard de Tremelay (Chandelure) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave
- Haze

André de Montbard (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Bertrand de Blanchefort (Corviknight) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- U-turn

Hamlette

Banned deucer.
Well first off, I wanna thank you for putting out this team as it helped me learn the format really well. I also want to thank you for being so cool about me yoinking the team, it must have been pretty weird to see someone else use your own team. However, I would like to propose a change that I feel helps optimize the team. IMO, Reuniclus is a better choice then Necrozma. Now, hear me out, as this may sound weird, but Reuniclus has several traits that make him better then Necroz. Reuniclus is pretty niche, but in this scenario I feel like it fits better.

The most important attribute is it's ability, Magic Guard. Prism Armor is a fantastic ability, but I find that it doesn't help as much as you would think. I find that not taking any chip damage actually means that Reuniclus is harder to kill then Necroz because you have to directly target it and with full HP invest it's really bulky and pretty hard to OHKO, especially since most Pokemon not made out of tissue paper run bulk. This is really helped by an Incin lead, because it's weaker defensive side is greatly helped by intimidate. Necroz has a tendency to get barely 2HKOed by strong neutral hits and then chipped to death. Reuniclas get's an even harder 2HKO but you then have to target it again, which gives your teammate valuable turns while trick room is up. This means that Reuniclus will almost always take two attacks to kill, while you could just hit Necroz with a strong move then wear it down with chip and ignore it, which is something that I find happens a lot. The last thing magic guard does is actually huge, as it allows recoil free life orb, which makes it significantly more powerful then Necroz and becomes a legit offensive threat, because while Necroz was max invested, it didn't feel really powerful because Ground and Psychic don't have a lot of synergy, and neither does heat wave, because even though it has a better neutral matchup it's even weaker because it's spread.

Now, in terms of longevity, Reuniclus is way better then Necroz even though it's bulk is significantly worse. This is mainly because of Magic Guard, But two huge factors are helping hand and it's increased attack power. That may sound weird, but it's true. The biggest problem with Necroz is how often it's just useless. It sets up trick room but is then relegated to attacking and protect. It becomes dead weight, and you're forced to switch out or just let it sit around and do nothing. Reuniclus can always be doing something to help. Whether it be firing off a much more powerful stab psychic or the unreliable yet very deadly focus blast, or using helping hand to get huge damage, it always has a use, It can't even touch Sableye, but Sable can't do jack shit in return because of magic guard. On that topic, neither can Grimsnarl. Reuniclus serves as the best status blocker in the game.

Another benefit is Reuniclus's god awful speed, as it underspeeds so much and becomes ultra fast in Trick Room, and is faster then basically everything but Dusclops and Hatterene, which means that it's increased power is really helpful because it's now much faster. Necroz, while slow, is still too fast for it's own good. Honestly, doubles is the only meta where having 78 speed is too fast.

The last thing I want to talk about is movepool, because Reuniclus's is fantastic. Specifically, it gets helping hand, which is huge. It allows huge spread damage, and enormous single target damage onto something that would take a hit. You could also run recover, although I don't think it's worth it because helping hand is just so useful.

Specifically, I would recommend this set for your team as it is basically the same idea as your Necroz set except a bit more optimized.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast

Basically, the gist is that you trade quite a bit of bulk for more longevity, speed, power, and much better support. While I can absolutely see why you would favor Necroz, Reuniclus just has so many unique upsides that it's more then worth it for the green blob.

Now, to be fair, I want to shed some more light on necroz's upsides. First off, This set loses to psychic types, however, Earth Power doesn't really do much to them either and you normally have Incin right there to handle them, although that's also true for Necroz. You lose out on the ability ignoring of Photon Geyser, so some matchups can be worse. The most important upside to Necroz is it's bulk, as it has 30 points of defense and 20 in SpD along with Prism armor, which is quite a lot.

Those are the upsides to Necroz vs. Reuniclus, with really only one big one for Necroz, although it is a pretty big one.

Well, that's about it. Overall, Reuniclus has a unique combination of traits that, in my opinion, are more fitting for this team.

Well, there's my way too in depth analysis of one part of one team. Honestly I don't think I could make an inaugural post that's better representative of how I am then this. Anyways, I hope you appreciate my attempt to go way, way too in depth on this one topic. On a side note, I'd like this to also be a case for Reuniclus as a whole, as I find him to have a solid niche where he isn't overshadowed. Personally, I would put him in tier 4. Anyways, thank you to anyone who read this gigantic wall of text and I hope this will serve as a comprehensive breakdown on both why Reuniclus is better in this team and a general overview of Necroz vs. Reuniclus. I was just looking for something other then Necroz for the team because of the reasons I mentioned below experimented with a variety of Pokemon and finally settled on the cute green blob. Please tell me if I said something particularly stupid or ignorant. I probably did.
Hihi,
sorry for the late reply!
Firstly, thank you for trying my team!
Here are some counterarguments:
— Prism Armor is great as it also synergises well with Weakness Policy. This combo dissuades the opponent from using super-effective moves like U-turn or Knock Off, and can force them to use suboptimal moves, like Dragapult being inclined to use Draco Meteor over Shadow Ball.

— Magic Guard is a fantastic ability, but Toxic and hazards are less omnipresent in this format. It also does not improve Reuniclus' poor bulk, which can be a big problem if it tries to set TR. Also, the format is quite fast paced, which means being able to tank a strong Knock Off or even forcing double targeting (which you can predict and Protect away) is very advantageous for you, as a single turn can mean you are able to set TR and start sweeping with your +2SpA.

— Psychic-Ground actually has good offensive synergy! Not only Ground is a great offensive type, Psychic-Ground allows Necrozma to hit almost all mons for at least neutral damage. The only DOU mon that isn't hit at least neutrally by this pairing is Corviknight.
Meanwhile, Reuniclus' choices are:
- Psychic-Fighting (with Focus Blast), which is fully resisted by many Psychic types, including Gothitelle (a S tier mon), Hatterene, Mew and Necrozma, all popular mons.
- Psychic-Ghost (with Shadow Ball), which is fully resisted by many Dark types, including Grimmsnarl, Incineroar (another S tier mon), Indeedee-F and Tyranitar, all popular mons.
As you can see, Psychic-Ground is actually quite better. If you run 3 attacks on Reuniclus, you do achieve perfect coverage - but then, so does Necrozma, with Heat Wave added.
— Also, look at the moves themselves! Photon Geyser is stronger than Psychic and has an added benefit that you mentioned: it bypasses all abilities that may affect it, including Snow Cloak, Disguise, and even Wonder Guard. Heat Wave may look weak due to its spread, but it hits both targets, easing prediction, especially if one of the opponent is very low in HP. It can also take advantage of opposing Sun. Meanwhile, Focus Blast is often called Focus Miss due to its very low accuracy — it is only used if a mon really needs Fighting coverage or gain a really important 1HK from it.

— You are right, Reuniclus' speed makes it great under TR. The thing is, this team is not reliant on TR, being a semiroom: Necrozma gets to choose to TR or not depending on the matchup, unlike Reuniclus who can only serve if TR is active. Against a TR team, Necrozma can hurt badly very common TR mons like Torkoal and Melmetal with EP, and can also unset TR. Against a fast and aggressive team, Necrozma can set TR and sweep with Melmetal. Melmetal itself does not require TR to be a threat: its acidmor set works as great outside of TR as in, having two very powerful moves and immense bulk.

Anyway, I am by no means a great teambuilder, I am still quite new; this team includes two DUU mons that are probably better off replaced, anyways. We are both learning:)

sawamura

Banned deucer.
Hey dude. After the Dynamax ban the Team Prior to this Present and the sand with which the DLT conquered in the Ladder have dropped in quality, although with some adjustments the Sand Team Sawamura has managed to be reborn effectively.

:Necrozma::Blastoise::Incineroar::Rotom-mow::Tyranitar::Excadrill:

The team is based on wearing down the opponent with our excellent pivots such as incineroar and Rotom-mow creating a perfect core with Blastoise which make a very good pair of 3 which cover Partner Sand and necrozma who are our main carriers, Necrozma provides a Excellent Bulk and an extraordinary ability to deal damage and with this Calm Mind Set you can give very good results. Excadrill Substitute because with it we can Prevent Fake out and Spam from incineration and Ttar with Steal Rocks To wear out much faster to the opponent

:ss/Runerigus: :ss/Grimmsnarl:

I call this team, the Knights Templar.

Runerigus and Grimmsnarl are gonna be the most common lead, Grimmsnarl can set up dual Screens with light clay, and Runerigus can guaranteed set up Stealth Rock, and if the opponents team does not contain poison type, Toxic Spikes. Another lead is Runerigus and Corviknight, because of all the Intimidate Incineroar going around, Mirror Armour Corviknight will bounce back Intimidate, then you can either U-Turn out or switch out into Chandelure to absorb the fire attack and start launching nuke-like Heat Waves and Shadow Balls.

:ss/Conkeldurr: :ss/Chandelure:

Conkeldurr and Chandelure are your heavy hitters. Flame orb + Guts Conkeldurr is a status immune bulky pokemon, with Drain Punch and slightly over 600 Attack power with this loadout. Chandelure also provides more type coverage, and counters Whimsicott, which outspeeds and almost completely walls Conkeldurr, even with Ice Punch. As well Energy Ball on CHandelure stopps bulky Water Types, including Gastrodon, which walls Conkeldurr, once again, even with Ice Punch. Colbur Berry on Chandelure makes sure that Knock Off is survivable form the likes of Intimidate OCnkeldurr, which chandelure is sometimes switching into.

:ss/Rotom-Wash: :ss/Corviknight:

Rotom-W and Corviknigth form what is usually a singles core called "Volt-Turn." As said above, Corviknight is able to bait fire attacks to go into Chandelure, but if Chandelure goes down, because of a prediction Knock-Off or the like, then Rotom-W can absorb a resisted fire hit. Additionally Corviknight is able to act like a late game cleaner, however with choice band, you need to pick your moves carefully. Additionally Rotom-W's Will-O-Wisp can cripple any boosted physicl attackers, both of these pokemon are critical to making sure dangerous sweepers like COnkeldurr and Dracovish do not get out of hand. As well Corviknight and Rotom-W form a heavy defensive core, physically and specially respectivly.

Importable:

=== [gen8doublesou] The Knights Templar===

Hugh de Payens (Runerigus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Toxic Spikes
- Shadow Claw

Robert de Craon (Conkeldurr) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Everard des Barres (Grimmsnarl) (M) @ Light Clay
Adamant Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough

Bernard de Tremelay (Chandelure) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave
- Haze

André de Montbard (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Bertrand de Blanchefort (Corviknight) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- U-turn

Hello there!

First off, thank you for the team idea, I have really enjoyed using it to learn doubles. I have been playing against one of my buddies who is using Fling Whimsicott into Weakness policy Dpult, and I have not been able to find a way to beat it. Dpult outspeeds everything I tried, and oneshots everything.

I am still relatively new to VGC/Doubles so it is possible I am missing something big.

I feel like this team could use a solid form of speed control (possibly putting Trick Room onto Runerigus instead of T Spikes/Rocks), and possibly a Fake Out or Follow Me user?

Would love to hear what you think!

Thanks~~

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mizu's DPL BW Team Dump

Week 1 vs Stax

:tyranitar: :excadrill: :jellicent: :thundurus: :conkeldurr: :kyurem-black:

This was my week 1 team and the main idea was to just use some good stuffs to shake off a little of the rust as far as tournament play went for myself. To start out I really wanted to use a more offensive oriented Thundurus variant, so I went with substitute, duel stab, and Thunder wave. Scarf tar isn't super common in BW as berry variants are usually a little more popular and this version actually helped me a lot in the game.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5doublesou-494791

Week 2 vs SMB

:politoed: :kingdra: :metagross: :thundurus: :kyurem-black: :conkeldurr:

This week I was tasked with facing the killer that is SMB. As far as my building process goes I wanted to use Scarf Metagross to catch opposing Kyurem-b's off guard and making it an easier game for my rain pairing that is Politoed and Kingdra. The rest of the team is again just general good stuff Thundurus Conkeldurr and my own Kyurem. Hindsight is 20/20 though and my team was super weak to Jellicent and Amoonguss, which he had, and looking back on this team I would suggest changing Kyurem-b to Choice Band.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5doublesou-497918

Week 3 vs Checkmater

:tornadus: :thundurus: :kingdra: :politoed: :hitmontop: :genesect:

Honestly going in to this game I wasn't really sure what Check would bring and what he did sort of surprised me. I know he likes to play very offensive based teams so my thoughts were either hard trick room or simply out offense him. As a starting Point I would just use rain again with the combination of genies. The last slot was a few different things before it was Genesect including Choice Band Ferrothorn, but I deemed the team to weak to Cresselia and Jellicent so I actually went with Bug Buzz Thunderbolt and Normal Gem Explosion on Genesect as a blanket coverage to a lot of options.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5doublesou-500043

Week 4 vs Lunar and then his sub

:Heatran: :thundurus: :hitmontop: :Cresselia: :Kyurem-black: :scizor:

This game was originally meant to be played vs Lunar and i'm not going to lie I was really pissed off when he got subbed out. The game itself wasn't enjoyable at all but the building process was. Going in to the week it was for the 1st place spot as we were tied with the shitposters. If anyone has been inconstantly successful in bringing something i'm weak to, it's a team Pwnemon is on. Maybe I overthink all my teams in these situations, maybe he just knows my build really well, who knows. I digress. I wanted to bring something that I normally wouldn't, which made me pick Cresselia and Gem Tran. Gem tran was an idea that floated around in the squirtles discord but I wanted to run double speed control cress + thundurus to slow everything down and just open up room for Kyurem to click the only move it could, outrage.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5doublesou-502259

week 5 and 6 vs Dawob

Pt 1 vs Dawob

:gyarados: :heracross: :Thundurus: :Keldeo: :krookodile: :abomasnow:

By this point we were in playoffs and I got a little bonkers with a team. The idea was again to spread paralyze and let slower Pokemon like Abomasnow and Heracross do damage, in theory it was a good idea in practice it was a bad play and my team got slowed even more and Heatran didn't ever die.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5doublesou-502705

Pt 2 vs Dawob

:Breloom: :Heatran: :thundurus: :latias: :Tyranitar: :excadrill:

I had never seen something like this in any premier league, exact same matchups across the entire board from the week before. Either way I knew the week before I had kind of fucked around and brought some jank and I was set on bring a Scarf Breloom this week to catch him off guard early game and get a sleep on something important early. I went back to offensive Thundurus for this week as well because I was running t-wave on Tyranitar and Lati as another support Pokemon / Dragon lure thanks to haban berry. Truthfully these last 2 games put a real sour taste in my mouth and I believe i could have won them both if the dice rolled a little different but all is well.

Well that's all from me as far as teams go, thanks tree for drafting me and thanks for some fun games doubles community. 3-3 in a tier filled with some of the toughest players isn't a bad go for this member of the rusty old guard, here's to some more Pokemon in the coming year and maybe to me actually learning how to play SS one of these days

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
DPL Team dump:
(If you wanna know why I made a particular choice on one of these teams or what my EVs do, just ask.)

Week 1 vs Tman: :kyurem: :excadrill: :incineroar: :togekiss: :gothitelle: :zeraora:
qsns wouldn't shut up about how good NP Kiss was so I built around it. Two spread speed droppers in Kyurem and Zeraora kept it moving first and hit some of the troubling mons for it, Spin + SD Exca appreciated similar support and can clean up at +1 Speed after things are chipped enough. In the end, I realized about 10 minutes before the game that I was really weak to sun and hastily made Incineroar Goggles and Excadrill Rock Slide, but that was a bit of a bandaid for a bullethole. I probably lost on matchup, but a few other luck-influenced moments sealed the deal and I didn't play perfectly either. This team's a bit outdated and idk if I'd use it again, but it has some cool ideas.
Kyurem @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 80 HP / 96 SpA / 96 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Glaciate
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor

Excadrill @ Soft Sand
EVs: 8 HP / 136 Atk / 104 Def / 12 SpD / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Incineroar @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 25 Spe
- Fake Out
- Overheat
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Togekiss @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 44 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Helping Hand
- Heal Pulse
- Taunt
- Fake Out

Zeraora @ Assault Vest
EVs: 192 HP / 28 Atk / 4 Def / 32 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Electroweb

Week 2 vs fespy: :dracovish: :whimsicott: :mew: :excadrill: :terrakion: :zeraora:
I uh.... may have never known how Fishious Rend really worked.......... and before this week, I thought it had to be the first Pokemon to move that turn to get the doubled BP. I have no idea how this happened, yes I'm terrible, I'm happy to hold an AMA for anyone curious as to how we got here, but let's ignore that for a moment. When I realized what it *actually* did, I thought that sounded pretty good, so I built around it! Sub is a move I was huge on (and am still pretty big on) with Sleep Powder and Fake Out being such big factors in the meta. With Tickle Whimsicott, Dracovish could keep up a Sub against AA Melmetal (the main set at the time) thanks to Tickle lowering its Attack. It's also generally good for ensuring that Fishious Rend will drop something.

Mew gave a second Tailwind and general utility, and I wanted to try to make SD Soft Sand Exca work again after it kind of falling short the previous week. The original version of this team had Scarf Chandelure + AV Head Smash Scrafty > Terrakion + Zeraora, but qsns correctly pointed out that I was just trying to be special and that I could improve the team drastically by not having those mons. With the changes the result was *very* weak to Excadrill, so I made Zeraora Shuca Berry to lure it and retaliate with a CC. I ended up facing mono Fire, which was a pretty lopsided matchup again, but this time in my favor, and thankfully I didn't choke it away.
Dracovish @ Mystic Water
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 92 HP / 216 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Tailwind
- Tickle
- Taunt

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 96 SpD / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Toxic Spikes
- Pollen Puff
- Tailwind

Excadrill @ Soft Sand
Jolly Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Protect

Zeraora @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 84 HP / 164 Atk / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Week 3 I was busy and struggling with migraines, so I benched myself, and week 4 I reused (and lost with) YoBuddy's team after not being able to make my original idea work. Since that reusing a pretty standard sand team isn't interesting, instead I'll share the team I was originally trying to make.

Week 4 Scrapped Idea: :indeedee-f: :kommo-o: :melmetal: :mew: :rotom-wash: :arcanine:
YoBuddy pointed out that Indeedee-F might be better now that DMax was gone since it could much more reliably answer Dragapult, and Psychic Terrain support was huge for grounded setup sweepers. Kommo-o likes Pult being distracted, and a normal person would obviously pick Throat Spray Clangorous Soul, but instead I decided to go for BD Drain Punch. This opened the door for Soundproof + Safety Goggles for two abilities in one (more on that later), and Fight/Ice coverage actually did pretty well against the meta. The rest of the team is designed to support Kommo-o cleaning, with Arcanine actually being particularly useful as a fast Snarl/Wisp and Roar to prevent Milotic/opposing Kommo-o from getting out of control. Staying healthy and spreading +6/+5 Drain Punches was pretty nice, especially since Kommo-o could invest pretty heavily in bulk and still OHKO 252 HP Washtom with +5 Drain Punch, but the lack of spread moves and an over-reliance on support to get in just the right position was a little too much to overcome. I think there's probably a way to get this idea to work, but I was still tinkering about 2 hours before my scheduled time and I didn't feel confident enough to bring it.
Indeedee-F (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 108 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Kommo-o @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 224 HP / 52 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
EVs: 88 HP / 88 Atk / 80 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Thunder Punch
- Body Press

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Pollen Puff
- Tailwind
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 44 SpA / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Week 5 vs Frania: :kommo-o: :mew: :melmetal: :tyranitar: :blastoise: :togekiss:
I wasn't ready to give up on the previous week's idea of Soundproof + Safety Goggles Kommo-o; I also knew Frania was likely to take inspiration/building advice from Ezrael, who was on a Kommo-o and Sylveon kick, which my own Kommo-o could sit on. However, I decided that Iron Defense + Body Press and Toxic Spikes + Pollen Puff Mew was a better way to go about it. Substitute Melmetal was another idea that seemed to pair well with those two, and Tyranitar felt like a necessary crutch to unset sun and threaten Ninetales/Zard. Tyranitar also made it possible to bluff Overcoat Kommo-o and keep the surprise factor, which is key in being able to retaliate against opposing Kommo-o that are likely to try Clanging Scales first. Blastoise's redirection supported most of the other members and eased some of the pressure on Mew to do all the supporting. YoBuddy suggested last-second that I make Blastoise Roar, which ended up saving me against Gothitelle and is a generally nice tool to have at your disposal. NP Kiss was something I sort of slapped on, but all the support it needed was already provided anyway.

My prep ended up being solid and I was proud of the way this team + game turned out. My idea for this week was really similar to Paraplegic's Weezing build, with double Fake Out / ID Kommo-o / Toxic Spikes / Melmetal / NP Kiss, and I think that general template is strong right now.
Kommo-o @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 124 SpD / 76 Spe
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Tailwind
- Pollen Puff
- Toxic Spikes

Melmetal @ Leftovers
EVs: 116 HP / 152 Atk / 80 SpD / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Substitute
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Follow Me
- Scald
- Roar

Togekiss @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Semifinals for SaDisTiCNarwhal vs Sunrose: :rotom-heat: :mew: :sylveon: :blastoise: :melmetal: :hydreigon:
At this point I just wanted to think of something... anything... that could prey on AV Melmetal, and I settled on NP Rotom-Heat. stax made that set work in SPL back when DMax was around as an answer to sun, so the ability to take advantage of both popular metagame elements was enticing enough to overlook the fact that I was building with a Rotom-Heat. Transform + NP Rotom is fantastic because you get a Rotom with base 100 HP, which is stupid bulky, and if you're running Transform then you may as well run Imprison. Pollen Puff support also kept it healthy without needing a Sitrus Berry, making Safety Goggles much easier to run. Sylveon takes out the Dragon-types that sit on Fire/Electric coverage and satisfied my Sub obsession. Throat Spray Sylveon also makes for a much better secondary Transform target than Specs. Blastoise offered generally good support, AV Melmetal wasn't on the team yet, and I went with Hydreigon to finish out the team. My matchup against Rotom-W was uh... suspect at best, and if Sylveon went down then I was SOL against Kommo-o too. Scarf Hydreigon outpseeds and KOes +1 Kommo-o, takes out Pult before it can act, provides a method of pivoting, and threatens bulky support mons like Goth and Mew.

The team worked pretty much perfectly, and I was really glad I got to help a newcomer get a win in DPL. I'm not sure how generally good this team is, because it still feels a little awkward to me in its speed tiers and ability to put out initial damage, but it's pretty fun and has good enough anti-meta matchups.
Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Pollen Puff
- Imprison
- Transform
- Tailwind

Sylveon @ Throat Spray
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 88 HP / 32 Def / 216 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Substitute
- Detect

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Follow Me
- Scald
- Helping Hand

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
EVs: 116 HP / 36 Atk / 200 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Thunder Punch
- High Horsepower
- Body Press

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

It's a little unfortunate that these teams are likely going to be pretty much irrelevant soon with Melmetal's potential (almost guaranteed) departure / Isle of Armor dropping / other general metagame shifts, because I'm actually pretty happy with what I came up with. I had a blast this tour and even ended up with a successful team behind me for the first time in years, so even though we fell short in the end I wouldn't change a thing.

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Team Dump

Week 1 vs qsns :polteageist::mew::kommo-o::melmetal::necrozma::blastoise:
Since it was week 1 of the tournament in an entirely brand new meta and there was no data on what anyone liked, prepping was pointless. I decided to cheese as hard as I could to start off the tournament, figuring there was no way anyone was going to be prepared yet for the jank I was going to pull off. The team is pretty simple in structure. The tea+toise, at the time, reliably passed at lead vs basically everything people were using. Necro was the designated recipient, and when boosted its an absolute terror. In addition to blastoise, mew was meant as further means of facilitating passing/positioning boosted necro with ally switch, and it also can transform into your own boosted necro/kommo so you end up with 2 of them, allowing it to generate a lot of offensive momentum for the team. The melm on this was av, even back in week 1 before that became the consensus best set, because with necro often almost soloing whole teams, its ability to 1v1 basically everything allowed it to clean up whatever necro couldn't finish, and the task of dealing with both necro AND melm proved to be far more than most teams were capable of back at the start. Kommo-o was added last as basically perfect role compression, offering useful resists, stealth rock, and more setup that complimented necro well, all in one slot.
I'm a huge fan of this team for the novelty of it, but I dont think its aged very well. The meta evolved in a way that was not at all favorable to this team's success, and it struggles to be very effective vs most of the compositions that I would consider to be good now.

Week 2 vs Frania :kyurem::excadrill::hippowdon::dragapult::mew::blastoise:
The idea was kyurem+sand+t spikes. Kyurem serves as an offensive water check, and its haban berry so I had outs vs clangorous soul kommo with glaciate. Excadrill is substitute to take advantage of free turns and t spikes. Hippo was chosen over ttar because it has recovery and that works really well with t spikes when you dont get crit. Dragapult is just there as an extra speed/revenge killer option, and is infiltrator wisp because people were using sub on a lot of random things around this time. Mew is the standard jailmew set, but with t spikes in the filler slot, mostly because I like the set a lot and it can provide a lot of bullshit wins. Blastoise, as you will see, was on every team I used this tour, and I just really dislike trying to play this format without it because it provides so many tools for positioning that I view it as invaluable. This team is not good, it lacks sleep checks of any kind and general meta progression has not been kind to it.

Week 3 vs umbreon098 :zeraora::rotom-wash::excadrill::tyranitar::kommo-o::blastoise:
This team was hobbled together during the night/hours before the match, and I honestly didn't put much effort into making it so I wont put much effort into writing about it. The general idea is that zera supports kommo super well and kommo pairs pretty well with the sand core. Blastoise was added from there because its good and I wasn't going to not use it, and rotom-w was added pretty last minute to patch up the otherwise very not fun to play sand mirror match. This general composition is something I'm excited to explore once melm is banned, but as long as its legal I don't think this composition is very optimal and I wouldn't recommend using this team right now

Weeks 4 and 5 vs fespy and Kiichikos :weezing-galar::blastoise::togekiss::zeraora::kommo-o::melmetal:
This team is my baby. Weezing is soooooo good, and neutralizing gas has so many cool, useful applications that I just absolutely adore this mon. Beyond just being an ability slot, it both sets and absorbs t spikes and reliably lures in melm to burn it too so in any given game its always possible to get huge value out of this mon. I decided to pair it with blastoise+togekiss, a known core with good synergy between the two, because I figured t spikes would work very well with them. Zera was then added to check opposing electrics and because of how fast it's fake out is, leading zera+weezing will usually guarantee you the opportunity to get t spikes up vs teams without a grounded poison type. Melmetal was added next because its melm, and theres no reason not to use it. Kommo was added last because rocks+fire resist, but ended up becoming the most important mon besides weezing, because with the given support on this team it can leverage vs most matchups, providing a great wincon vs basically any team without a togekiss. I absolutely love this team and would absolutely recommend y'all try it out, its great and you wont be disappointed!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)