Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Closed

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Congratulations to GenOne for winning this week! His team and description will be added to the Hall of Fame in commemoration. Up next...

We're mixing things up a bit! This round, your team can be structured however you want, so long as there are NO Island Guardians on it. Since the release of SM, the Tapus have been everywhere, similar to Mega Evolutions since XY dropped. These four Pokemon are undoubtedly some of the most influential to the metagame, but teams aren't hopeless without them, so take this time to experiment and see what you can come up with!

Deadline for submissions is Sunday, January 28th at noon EST!

sawamura

Banned deucer.
Hi hi, Teams without Tapus? Lol. here I leave my team

In this fun team without Guardians we will find a Sawk (it is cute how Embc) and a mega tyranarro as the main card of the victory and the meow that helps the team in its main defensive qualities and varieties of movements that can be exploited, counting the presence of Amoogus and the rage in powder to direct its attacks towards her and to settle down with Tyranitar, besides the fungus helps to stabilize the room of Trick due to its low speed without leaving behind the Ghostinium of Aegi that returns to be one of the most reliable with the departure of Marshadow to ubers (that swamp purposely) with offensive qualities both defensive and at the same time makes it a good option and finally Landorus it is a Mon that always has a good presence in the Matchup
Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide

?_? (Mew) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 100 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ally Switch
- Transform
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Crunch
- Rock Slide

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Wide Guard
- Flash Cannon

Landorus-Therian @ Mago Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 228 HP / 64 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Amoonguss @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 196 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 28 HP / 164 Atk / 44 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Substitute
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Figy Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Volcanion @ Mago Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 40 SpA / 92 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 68 SpA / 44 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Icy Wind

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 104 Atk / 212 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
Not exactly a new team, but I think it's a decent example of a one that doesn't actually want tapus. In this case, I built around sub diancie, which has a very high sweeping potential with redirection and other support. Volcanion and zap are built much more offensively than traditional fini zap to break steels and waters for diancie. Kyube and gene round out the team, functioning well outside of twind and fixing lando and koko matchups.

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
1516820451432.png
1516820466956.png
1516820480955.png
1516820495204.png
1516820511915.png
1516820525735.png
Come (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 232 HP / 72 Def / 136 SpA / 60 SpD / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

And (Landorus-Therian) @ Groundium Z
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Waste (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 32 Def / 148 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Protect

Time (Zapdos) @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 28 SpA / 96 SpD / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

With (Kyurem-Black) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 56 Def / 68 SpA / 80 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Icy Wind

Me (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick

Char Y hits stuff hard and lando gives necessary intim, electric immune, and helps beat ttar and other rocks. Ferro helps with rain and gives team a defensive backbone with zap and kyub who both provide speed control and help the mence matchup. Ttar helps more vs rain kills stuff and is good vs tr. Team is :sogood:

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1517105244149.png
1517105259455.png
1517105263795.png
1517105267468.png
1517105271476.png
1517105276241.png

Nothing super serious, but I'd probably use this as a G2 team or something? The basic idea was just to build a team with lots of Fire, Electric, Ice and Ground coverage since it's tough to switch into all four at once.

I'd like to experiment more with Manectric/Mamoswine outside of this competition - Landorus-T's Intimidate becomes redundant and STAB Ice coverage on a similar-ish mon is nice.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Volcanion @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Scrafty @ Mago Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Fake Out

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Detect

Mamoswine @ Groundium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 32 Def / 148 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect
The two Pokemon I knew I wanted to use right away were Volcanion and Mamoswine. On a build where Tapu Fini is prohibited, I looked to Volcanion to offer a comparable amount of role compression; it serves as a bulky Water-type, rain check, and Steel killer in one slot. Wacan Berry > Shuca Berry because imo Electric-types threaten out Volcanion more easily than Ground-types. I was inspired to use Mamoswine after some people were chatting about how it's really hard to switch into a Pokemon that has both Ice and Ground coverage. I suppose I could've just went with Metagross at this point, but I wanted to try something different. Mamoswine's basically a slower Landorus-T that trades Intimidate for Thick Fat and an actually usable secondary STAB typing. With Volcanion and Mamoswine on the team, I knew I'd need Tailwind support to get the most of them, as they both have pretty middling speed tiers. I wanted to use Zapdos, but knew I couldn't use a Misty/Psychic seed. I also didn't really want to use Electrium Z, because I really wanted Mamoswine to have Groundium Z. I ended up giving Zapdos a Life Orb - I often use Zapdos as a fake Fire-type anyways so I figured I'd give it an item and EV spread that actually let Heat Wave do respectable damage. I was starting to feel weak to Trick Room, as well as to rain and Psyspam, so I added Scrafty and Ferrothorn respectively. For the Mega Slot, I was on the fence between using Mega Salamence or Mega Manectric, but decided that Mega Manectric offered better offensive coverage and more reliable Intimidate support. I honestly am starting to think that Mega Manectric rivals Mega Salamence as a "splashable" mega - it's really easy to toss onto a team as an afterthought and still have a decent team. Well, anyways, hope you enjoy experimenting with this team. This round of the Teambuilding competition really challenged me to use some non-standard sets and I'm kind of happy with what I came up with - I'll probably borrow some concepts from this team in future teams that I build. Cheers!

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

how i picked anchor as my starting mon:

[23:01:15] n10sit: !dice 807
Roll (1 - 807): 781
[23:01:18] n10sit: !dt 781
RU
Dhelmise

after we spent hours in the lab picking our first mon, i continued to build the team in chat. the idea was to add set up pokemon that pair well with ally switch anchor, and ttar and volc came to mind. ttar synergizes very well defensively,with anchor being immune to fighting and resistant to water, grass and ground, and volcarona able to qd on the steels dhelmise baits in, while anchor is also a water resist for it. next we needed some lando checks, so i added scarf gene and rotom wash so now we have the double ally switch, then bc this is how u teambuild i added a lando next bc intim and its a lando. also it has rocks bc those help our setup sweepers

Dhelmise @ Figy Berry
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot
- Helping Hand
- Ally Switch

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 92 SpA / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ally Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
[/import]

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Time to vote! Your choices are listed below, please respond with the name of the user whose team you feel has the strongest case to be in the Hall of Fame.

zikam
Yellow Paint
laptops
GenOne
n10sit

Voting closes Tuesday, January 30th at 11:59pm EST!

talkingtree

large if factual
This is quite late because irl got in the way, but I'm ready to bring this project back! Congratulations to Yellow Paint for winning the previous round, his team and description will finally be added to the OP. Next up...

Our beloved tier leader kamikaze's mascot, Staraptor, is a fairly recent addition to the Viability Rankings, finding its niche in Doubles thanks to its utility from a solid Speed tier as well as its access to Intimidate and moves like Final Gambit and U-turn, which make it a solid Choice Scarf user. Sadly, Staraptor's best attacks to take advantage of that base 120 Attack stat, Brave Bird and Double-Edge, cut into Staraptor's HP and make its Final Gambit considerably less threatening later in the game. Staraptor also faces competition from Victini, which has access to a hugely powerful V-create and considerably more HP, allowing it to take down Zapdos with Final Gambit. That access to Intimidate and immunity to Ground-type moves still gives Staraptor enough that it finds a place on a few teams though, so show us what you've got!

Deadline for submissions is Thursday, February 15th, at 11:59pm EST!

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1518299550067.png
1518299554740.png
1518299558193.png
1518299561658.png
1518299565694.png
1518299569953.png

I've been wanting to build a fullroom team with Staraptor for a while, so yay @ this week's competition!! : )

Abomasnow's been overshadowed by Camerupt as a TR mega in this meta so I also wanted to build around it. Naturally, I tried to build something that has solid answers to my own Camelroom team.

Also note: if Snorlax ever gets banned, just replace it with Stakataka and this still works.

kamikaze (Staraptor) (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Jellicent (M) @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Blizzard
- Sludge Bomb
- Trick Room

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 192 HP / 224 Atk / 92 Def
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Happiness: 0
EVs: 196 HP / 32 Atk / 252 Def / 28 SpD
Brave Nature
- Frustration
- Fire Punch
- Belly Drum
- Protect
Fullroom teams generally rely on Fake Out users like Scrafty to push momentum in their favour during Turn 1 leads. This generally works, but can get shut down against Tapu Lele teams or teams with faster Fake Out users like Mew. Choice Scarf Final Gambit Staraptor applies pressure to both; Tapu Lele is pretty much forced out by Staraptor, while opposing Fake Out leads are forced to choose between shutting down your Trick Room setter or shutting down a Final Gambit that's going to (generally) OHKO one of their mons. The nice thing too with Staraptor is that it provides the Intimidate support that Scrafty is usually chosen for, so you can now afford to run a more offensive Fake Out user in the back - I went with Flame Orb + Guts Hariyama because it hits like a truck and also bypasses Amoonguss's Spore once Flame Orb activates. Another nice thing about using Staraptor on a fullroom team is that it can just Final Gambit itself off the battlefield, giving you a clean window of opportunity to switch in a strong Trick Room sweeper like Belly Drum Snorlax on Turn 2. (If Snorlax gets banned, replace it with Stakataka and you'll also have a third TR setter!) I went with Mega Abomasnow over Mega Camerupt because, y'know, "been there, done that." That said, I wanted to make sure this team could handle both Mega Camerupt and Stakataka, so I added in Jellicent to deal with both of those while also serving the role of a "bulky TR setter" which I think is really important to have on fullroom teams. I gave Jellicent Rindo Berry so that Camerupt can't OHKO it with Grassy Terrain + Nature Power. Maximum SpA + a Modest nature gives Jellicent a 43.8% chance to OHKO Stakataka with Hydro Pump. Sludge Bomb lets Jellicent snipe down a weakened Tapu Bulu while also hitting decently hard against Tapu Fini. Finally, I added Hoopa-U as a secondary TR setter because it has a good offensive presence and also stops teams from stalling out Trick Room teams.

Last edited:
Staraptor (F) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Final Gambit

Reuniclus (F) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Camerupt-Mega (F) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness
- Stone Edge

Stakataka @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 192 HP / 224 Atk / 92 Def
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect
A super original TR team with some tweaks. Staraptor is there to kamikazing stuff, provide almost guaranteed kill which is nice for setting TR. Then we have the goat TR setter Psychium Z Reuniclus, the cool thing about this set is that you can Z-TR to avoid Taunt and boost Focus Miss accuracy or nukes with Shattered Psyche. The rest of the team are boring standard TR goons with infamous BuluCamel core plus Stakataka which has good synergy and work as secondary TR setter. Finally, Hoopa-U is there because Hyperspace ️roke.

Reactions: SMB

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
1518733947099.png
1518733928839.png
1518734022442.png
1518734060791.png
1518733970429.png
1518734092830.png
Starry (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect

Nights (Staraptor) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Final Gambit

Help (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 SpA / 0 Spe
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Protect

Bring (Landorus-Therian) @ Groundium Z
EVs: 112 HP / 216 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Us (Volcanion) @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Closer (Zapdos) @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 28 SpA / 96 SpD / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Starting the build for my team I noticed that Staraptor pairs really well with Mega-Gengar. It can kill some of M-Gar's counters like Ttar and Hoopa-U and Final Gambit paired with trapping can assure you are able to pick of threats to the team more easily. From here I added Lando-T because it helps to beat steals which the other two members struggle to hit and helps defensively by providing a ground and electric immune for both members. I usually like protect on my landos, but I feel like knock off is more beneficial for the team to check snorlax along with taunt gengar. Also, the double u-turn helps to cycle intimidate and allows for easy positioning to trap with Gengar. Volcanion was added next and provided a resist to the stacking ice weakness. It also provided another answer, defensively and offensivly, to steels like M-Metagross and celesteela. Coupled with ferrothorn the team has a good match-up vs rain and both mons also function well under trick room. I chose wacan berry over shuca because zapdos with with fire electric ice coverage was looking problematic for the team to switch into and being able to stay in vs it and get off a big hit helps the rest of the team with managing it. Also, curse ferro gives the team a win condition and gengar makes it easier for it to set up. Finally, I decided to finish off the team with the addition of zapdos. It provides speed control, another ground immunity, has good coverage, and acts as a nice lando-t and salamence check.

talkingtree

large if factual
Time to vote! Who do you think built the best team this week?

GenOne
Heliodor
laptops

Voting closes Saturday, February 17th, at 11:59pm EST!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)