Down from a DDoS attack [update: not down anymore]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
UPDATE:

It doesn't look like we're going to get the main server back anytime soon. In the meantime, I've moved to a better backup server, which should support more users, but it looks like it still can't support the full userbase. I'm still working on improving performance in the meantime.

======

As you guys may have known, Pokemon Showdown is down.

As you guys may not have known, the downtime was caused by a DDoS attack. No further details are known, but we expect to be back online later today (Saturday).

It'd be ironic if the DDoS attack targeted Smogon's PO server, and we were just collateral damage. I have a suspicion that PS itself is difficult to bring down in the way we were attacked, so it's more likely. In any case, once the server's back up, I'll look into ways of fixing it, and I think it should be possible to prevent from happening again.

In other words:

1. We were attacked
2. The attackers probably didn't attack PS itself (which is harder to take down than that), but something else it shares a server with, such as PO
3. It should be fixed later today
4. We'll take measures to make sure it doesn't happen again

Thank you for choosing Pokemon SHOWDOWN!

edit: It doesn't look like it'll be up today. I'm pretty sure it should be up by Sunday; I'm also looking for a better backup server in the meantime.

Yeah, it's going to be a while longer.

There's some super-obnoxious bureaucratic bullshit going on with the hosting company.

Server's down for good.

We're looking into getting a new one.

Btw, what Turnkey Internet's definition of a "DDoS" attack doesn't exactly mesh with the conventional definition. Nor does the word "mitigate." But that's another story.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I'm not going to set up a backup server, because I need a night to unwind. The server should be back up tomorrow-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)