DP Meganium

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/meganium
The analysis is written poorly for the UU metagame and "terse", as X-Act put it.

[SET]
Set name: Support
Move 1: Energy Ball
Move 2: Aromatherapy
Move 3: Light Screen/Reflect
Move 4: Leech Seed/Synthesis
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 216 HP/148 Def/144 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
Meganium is a surprisingly good supporting member in the UU environment. Energy Ball provides more reliable STAB than Grass Knot because the Bulky Waters (among other targets) are generally smaller and lighter in UU, mainly things like Quagsire and Gastrodon. Aromatherapy is always good to have, especially on a nice bulky Pokemon like Meganium, since it means he won't be having troubles with Toxic. Light Screen and Reflect can basically go either way, depending on whether your team seems more vulnerable to physical or special attacks. In normal play, Synthesis wouldn't be a real option for healing, but the lack of Sandstreamers and the increased prevalence of Sun makes it a completely viable UU option. This is a physically defensive Meganium and, while Special Defense is an option since Meganium's defensive stats are the same, Hypno and Grumpig are generally better on the special side.

[OTHER OPTIONS]
Counter is always an interesting choice, but Meganium has a hard time fitting it into his moveset, oddly. Grasswhistle can provide additional support and give Meganium an extra turn of Leech Seed or a chance to use Synthesis. Giga Drain with Big Root is an option with Leech Seed, but Meganium isn't fast enough to make it work as well as sticking with Energy Ball and Leftovers. You can use Hidden Power Fire if you want to get some additional type coverage. Earthquake is a strong move but splitting Meganium's offense isn't generally the best.

[EVS]
High HP and Defense are the order of the day. Investing in Special Defense is probably not a good idea since Meganium can already use Light Screen to boost its special defense. Additionally, Hypno and Grumpig are the kind of dominant special walls (a la Blissey) that just knock out the potential for anything else to fill the role in the same way. You can take a few slices off of Defense if you want some Speed to go before something specific.

[OPINION]
Meganium is a good team supporter in UU. His offenses are reasonable, though his offensive movepool is limited, and his defenses are quite nice. Aromatherapy is a good move to have on any team, especially one that fears status, and Meganium is no slouch at using it. His high defense is even more dangerous on Sun teams, where Synthesis generates full healing. Meganium can be a good team player in UU if used properly.

[COUNTERS]
Things that resist Grass and things with high Special Defense have no problems with Meganium. A strong Ice type like Glaceon or Froslass should be able to do some heavy damage, though Glaceon might have problems in Sun since Meganium is faster and can know Synthesis. The aforementioned Hypno and Grumpig can shut down Meganium without Earthquake.

Firstly apologies if I am not authorised to post here, if that's the case please delete this post ...

Meganium is a staple on all my UU teams and I have to say that whilst I use a modified version of the EVs of the support set, I don't use the suggested moves, as I found it to be far too easily walled and had too many things setting up on it. Recently I've been running a more offensive moveset, with reasonable success, and a general rule I always carry HP on Meganium.

In the Other Options only HP Fire is mentioned, but in my experience I've always found HP Ice, Rock and Ground to be far more useful in terms of covering the the pokemon that generally switch into Meganium.

Ice: Altaria, Flyers (Dodrio, Swellow, Scyther)
Rock: Fire (Ninetales, Rapidash), Ice (Froslass, Glaceon), Bug (Scyther, Pisnir), Flying
Ground: Fire, Poison, Steel.

And of course there is no risk of accidently activating Ninetales or Rapidashes Flash Fire.

Additional counters ... well HP: Ice Altaria can handle anything that Meganium can throw at her, being able to Roost off Leech Seed damage. Swalot stops her cold and if running liquid ooze can turn Leech Seed against Meganium. Really anthing that resists grass and is fast enough to get up a substitute is a real problem for the support set.

Anyway I've probably babbled on long enough.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Firstly apologies if I am not authorised to post here, if that's the case please delete this post ...
You are authorised to post here. :)

I think your suggestions are reasonable... I especially like HP Rock since it seems to deal respectable damage to the majority of counters (including Altaria). What do you usually replace HP with in that set, and what EVs do you run? I think your set could be listed as an alternative to the set mentioned, but then again I'm not a UU expert. What do the UU players say about this?

To be honest I've found HP Rock doesn't hit Altaria quite hard enough, the Specs version is quite popular on Shoddy at the moment and its best to take her out ASAP.

As I currently have other things to cover Altaria, at the moment I'm running ...

Aromatherapy
Energy Ball - SE Water, Ground, Rock
Ancient Power - SE Fire, Flying, Ice, Bug
HP Ground - SE Fire, Electric. Poison, Rock, Steel.

Kinda of a special "Torterra" with added healing. It gives pretty decent type coverage, and the occaisonal stat boosts from Ancient Power are always a bonus, although its low PP can be a problem.

EV wise it's currently quite similar to the support set, so it can still take a few hits, although I've no doubt that there are better EV's spreads out there ... I'm just not brilliant with them I'm afraid.

The big boon is everyone expects the support set, so people assume they're switch in are reasonably safe.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Vespiquen has not been mentioned as a specific counter yet (personal plugging, yay? >_>), I personally use her as one because Meganiums never carry HP Rock or Ancientpower. At least the ones I've seen. Neither HP Fire or Ice do enough damage, and I would personally carry Rock due to having the most coverage against common switch-ins compared to the others.

I wouldn't have too many attacks, Meganium does support best, and I wouldn't stoop to it being a semi-defensive sweeper bent on killing common switch-ins. On the suggested set, however, just drop the Screens and opt for a Hidden Power to prevent it from being walled easily. Healing and status recovery is enough.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I was expecting something like Energy Ball/HP <type>/support move/support move. Three attacking moves on Meganium seems to be a bit excessive in my opinion, especially when two of them have a mediocre 60 and 70 base power, which, coupled with Meganium's average 83 base SpA, means that Meganium won't be able to deal that much damage even if it hits supereffective.

I am of the opinion, therefore, to just list Hidden Power in Other Options (as is already done in the main site), but mention that HP Ice (for Altaria, mostly, but also for other Flyers) and especially HP Rock (for Fire, Flying, Ice and Bug types) also have their merits. HP Fire seems to be a rather bleh move in UU, since most Steel types there are also Rock types, and hence they are not even hit for supereffective with HP Fire, and hence I'd suggest to remove it, and replace with HP Rock and HP Ice.

On the suggested set, however, just drop the Screens and opt for a Hidden Power to prevent it from being walled easily.
I wouldn't necessarily drop the screens, simply make them an alternate to Leech Seed, as opposing grass types are typically your number one switch in to Meganium.

I was expecting something like Energy Ball/HP <type>/support move/support move. Three attacking moves on Meganium seems to be a bit excessive in my opinion, especially when two of them have a mediocre 60 and 70 base power, which, coupled with Meganium's average 83 base SpA, means that Meganium won't be able to deal that much damage even if it hits supereffective
Sorry, I did try the Energy Ball / HP / support / support (I think it was EB / HP Ice / Aromatherapy / Leech Seed), but I found that I was using Leech Seed far too infrequently to warrant a moveslot, and I'm not a fan of the screens with Brick Break being more common in the UU environment.
... Still not to worry, I tend to favour weird and wonderful movesets as people generally don't expect them.

Glad I could help with the HP options anyway.

X-Act

Now that I think of it, HP Ground would be a much better proposition against Aggron, Probopass and Bastiodon than HP Fire, even though the latter two have sky-high SpD, but Grassers would wall you completely then, as already happens in the set listed. I dunno if HP Ground should be mentioned as well.

I don't know if HP Fire should be mentioned, too. HP Rock hits Ice and Bug for supereffective, matching HP Fire, but it also hits Flying and Fire for supereffective as well, whereas HP Fire hits for NVE and neutral respectively. HP Fire does hit fellow grassers and rock/steels for twice the damage that HP Rock hits, though (even though, for rock/steels, it's not enough for them to worry about either way).

I don't know if HP Fire should be mentioned, too. HP Rock hits Ice and Bug for supereffective, matching HP Fire, but it also hits Flying and Fire for supereffective as well, whereas HP Fire hits for NVE and neutral respectively. HP Fire does hit fellow grassers and rock/steels for twice the damage that HP Rock hits, though (even though, for rock/steels, it's not enough for them to worry about either way).
I'd be inclined not to ... the benefits of being able to hit grass types, don't seem to outweigh the problem of giving terrors like Altaria and Ninetales a free switch in, in the case of the latter possibly even a free Flash Fire boost.

In terms of hitting other grass types HP Ice is inevitably your better option, with the added bonus of hitting the ever annoying Jumpluff for double damage, in comparison to Parasect/Wormadam-G with HP Fire.

X-Act

Phox, could you please update your original post mentioning HP Rock and HP Ice in Other Options, and removing HP Fire from there?

Oh, and delete the Giga Drain + Big Root thing... Leftovers is the better item in the long run, and since things that resist Grass will switch into Meganium far too often, you'll end up wishing you had Leftovers instead.

Also, I don't know if Froslass can be considered as a counter to Meganium when it takes 42%-49% from Energy Ball. Glaceon is okay since it has respectable SpD.

HP fighting? It hits all the rock/steel, and isn't totally screwed against flyers. And it has the added effect of damage glaceon (Not that much though, since energy ball has higher BP and STAB, but i guess every bit counts)

X-Act

HP fighting? It hits all the rock/steel, and isn't totally screwed against flyers. And it has the added effect of damage glaceon (Not that much though, since energy ball has higher BP and STAB, but i guess every bit counts)
HP Ground vs HP Fighting is basically hitting Fire vs. hitting Ice. HP Rock and HP Ice are the best Hidden Powers in my opinion. Although HP Fighting is not resisted by Grass.

EDIT: In fact, I think it's better to just mention HP Ice and HP Rock in Other Options.

Not trying to be mean, but Meganium should be referred to as "it" instead of "he" or "she".

Also, Subseed set with Body Slam for paralisys is viable, IMO.

There should also be a set with Light Screen + Counter. And I guess a Rest + Sleep Talk should also be considered.

Finally, a DoublePowder set with Grasswhistle and Toxic/Body Slam possibly holding Wide Lens (the accuracy thing) seems viable.

PS- Sorry if my suggestions are lame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)