DP Research Thread #6 (Even newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
3.0 Hail, Rain, Sandstorm, or Sun message "pokémon is buffeted by the Hail!", "the pokémon is buffeted by the Sandstorm", "Rain continues to fall!", "The sunlight is strong."

6.13 Taunt wears off "Pokémon's taunt wore off!"

9.0 Trick Room "pokémon restored the dimensions!" (after using it twice in a row), "the twisted dimension turned to normal!" (after 5 turns)

Add these ones I researched. Also did using trick room twice in a row on d/p restored dimensioned like it did on platinum?

Cathy

Banned deucer.
The goal was to research the order of the effects, not the messages. That said, I didn't know Trick Room had two different ending messages. (The actual goal of finding the end of turn effects is complete now.)

The goal was to research the order of the effects, not the messages. That said, I didn't know Trick Room had two different ending messages. (The actual goal of finding the end of turn effects is complete now.)
They have 2 different ending messages because it can end on 2 different ways, another pokemon can use Trick Room which cancels eachother out or you can wait 5 turns untill the effect stops.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not the most important, but not too hard: Could someone test the boost to water moves provided by Sea Incense?
Smogon has it listed as 20% like most other type boosting items, but both Serebii and Bulbapedia list it as 5% which would be consistent with some other Incenses (Lax gives +5% Evasion), and avoids having two insences with exactly the same effect.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, just discovered something weird with U-turn and Choice Items. This was in Pearl Doubles Battle Tower.

So anyways, I have Moltres, Azelf, and Milotic left. Moltres and Azelf both know U-turn, but only Moltres has a Choice item (Choice Scarf). The AI has Grumpig and Wigglytuff out (final Pokemon:I KOed the rest already).
I have Milotic and Moltres out.

Moltres used U-turn on Grumpig (60%-ish damage)
Switched to Azelf
Grumpig used Psychic on Azelf (minimal damage)
Milotic used Recover
Wigglytuff used Sing
Milotic fell asleep
--------------------
Azelf used U-turn on Grumpig
Switched to Moltres
Grumpig fainted (this is normal for U-turn)
Milotic is fast asleep
Wigglytuff used Dream Eater on Milotic (minimal damage)
Wigglytuff regained HP (or whatever it says)
--------------------
And then this is the weird part. I click Overheat on Moltres, and I get this message:

"The Choice Scarf allows only the usage of U-turn!" (or something like that, I can't remenber exactly, but it's the usual message when you try selecting a un-Choiced move on a Choiced pokemon.

Odd, because I U-turned out before U-turning back in. Has this happened to anyone before?

I click Overheat on Moltres, and I get this message:

"The Choice Scarf allows only the usage of U-turn!" (or something like that, I can't remenber exactly, but it's the usual message when you try selecting a un-Choiced move on a Choiced pokemon.

Odd, because I U-turned out before U-turning back in. Has this happened to anyone before?
This is a known glitch to exist in Diamond/Pearl that is not in Platinum.

I got told to ask this here by someone in the Simple Questions thread, where they were unsure of the answer, and thought maybe someone could research it:

If Arceus holding Sky Plate (therefore pure Flying-type) uses Gravity, what happens to its typing? Does it get removed?

Sorry if this isn't relevant or something... the Simple Questions people were kinda stumped by it.

If I recall correctly, Gravity doesn't remove the flying type, just the ground immunity. Roost on the other hand, I think someone tested that and it was found to take neutral hit from everything.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Imagine a Pokemon with two moves:

Sleep Talk
Last Resort

If the Pokemon is put to sleep turn 1 (by a faster Spore, for instance) and then uses Sleep Talk, Sleep Talk will obviously select Last Resort. At the time Last Resort has executed, all other moves will have been selected at least once. Will Last Resort fail or succeed?

Sleep Talk
Last Resort

If the Pokemon is put to sleep turn 1 (by a faster Spore, for instance) and then uses Sleep Talk, Sleep Talk will obviously select Last Resort. At the time Last Resort has executed, all other moves will have been selected at least once. Will Last Resort fail or succeed?
I tested this using a version of Pokemon Pearl, using two Lv. 40 Smeargle: S1 had Spore, S2 had only Sleep Talk and Last Resort.

Double battle at the Restaurant:

S1 Used Spore! S2 fell asleep!
S2 used Sleep Talk! It failed!

Successive turns of using Sleep Talk while asleep also failed.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's interesting. Is it ever possible to successfully Sleep Talk Last Resort?

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe if you use Sleep Talk, wake up, Last Resort, then get put back to sleep and try Sleep Talking.

I don't have my DS, so I can't test this out.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
My prediction is that when Last Resort checks for "all other moves" having been used, the one it doesn't check is the one you selected (i.e. Sleep Talk in this case). To verify this, first use Last Resort while awake. Then, get put asleep, and use Sleep Talk. Does Last Resort work?

haunter

Banned deucer.
My prediction is that when Last Resort checks for "all other moves" having been used, the one it doesn't check is the one you selected (i.e. Sleep Talk in this case). To verify this, first use Last Resort while awake. Then, get put asleep, and use Sleep Talk. Does Last Resort work?
Just did this test:

first turn I tried to use last resort as my first move (my Ambipom only had last resort and sleep talk) and the move failed (with Ambipom still awake)

on the second turn (with Ambipom still awake) I used sleep talk (which obviously failed)

on the 3rd turn (with Ambipom still awake) I used last resort and the move worked

on the 4th turn I put Ambipom to sleep and used sleep talk, and sleep talk selected and used successfully last resort.

So, apparently you're right Colin.

obi

formerly david stone
That test doesn't exactly test it. It's possible, although not likely, that Last Resort could fail the first turn you're using Sleep Talk. As in, Last Resort first turn, next turn Sleep Talk while asleep, and then see if Last Resort works.

haunter

Banned deucer.
That test doesn't exactly test it. It's possible, although not likely, that Last Resort could fail the first turn you're using Sleep Talk. As in, Last Resort first turn, next turn Sleep Talk while asleep, and then see if Last Resort works.
Tested again:

1st turn: Ambipom (awake) used last resort, the move failed;

2nd turn: Ambipom (asleep) used sleep talk, Ambipom selected and used successfully last resort.

What if Sleep Talk is your first move (while asleep), and it selects Last Resort?
1st turn: Ambipom (asleep) used sleep talk, Ambipom selected and used successfully last resort.

I made both the tests on my Pearl cartridge.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I tested this using a version of Pokemon Pearl, using two Lv. 40 Smeargle: S1 had Spore, S2 had only Sleep Talk and Last Resort.

Double battle at the Restaurant:

S1 Used Spore! S2 fell asleep!
S2 used Sleep Talk! It failed!

Successive turns of using Sleep Talk while asleep also failed.
1st turn: Ambipom (asleep) used sleep talk, Ambipom selected and used successfully last resort.

I made both the tests on my Pearl cartridge.
Erm, something doesn't add up.

Well on the topic of last resort, how exact does last resort check if all the moves are used?? Does it see if you've selected, move1, move2, etc. before using last resort, or does it check if the other moves you have access to have been used by the last resort pokemon??

Do you have to select all the other moves successfully in order to use last resort?? Example, Could you use hypnosis, fail, then use last resort (if you only had those 2 moves)

Or could assist or mirrormove another move you already have, then use last resort?? Example, you had a smeargle with Assist, Last resort, and Seedbomb (just as an example), if assist picked seed bomb off another poke could you use last resort on the next turn?

Another one, if you had a poke with u-turn, and u-turned into another poke with only u-turn and last resort, could you use last resort the following turn?? I think this might work in D/P but not Pt.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
One of Sudo or Haunter's results has to be wrong, so I'd like them to comment on that.

Well on the topic of last resort, how exact does last resort check if all the moves are used?? Does it see if you've selected, move1, move2, etc. before using last resort, or does it check if the other moves you have access to have been used by the last resort pokemon??

Do you have to select all the other moves successfully in order to use last resort?? Example, Could you use hypnosis, fail, then use last resort (if you only had those 2 moves)

Or could assist or mirrormove another move you already have, then use last resort?? Example, you had a smeargle with Assist, Last resort, and Seedbomb (just as an example), if assist picked seed bomb off another poke could you use last resort on the next turn?

Another one, if you had a poke with u-turn, and u-turned into another poke with only u-turn and last resort, could you use last resort the following turn?? I think this might work in D/P but not Pt.
It's based on whether you've used the move, not whether you've selected it. Also, the mechanic of U-turning to a pokemon counting as an execution of U-turn by the pokemon who is sent in is still in Platinum (see, e.g., Disable). What was changed in Platinum was that Choice Items reset their locks when using U-turn now; the mechanics of U-turn were not changed in this regard.

Anyway, before we decide what to test next (if anything) with Last Resort, we need to know which one of Sudo and Haunter was wrong. Of course, a third person is free to do the original test described in Obi's post as well:

Sleep Talk
Last Resort

Please post your result for this test to clear up the discrepancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)