OU DPP OU Teambuilding Competition

approved by Excal hosted by Kristyl
dpp_teambuild_comp.png

Amazing banner by Bandkrook
Welcome to the brand new DPP OU Teambuilding Competition thread! Each week I will post a new Pokemon, core or set, and its up to you to make the best possibile team out of it! Every time you post a new team, you will have to provide an explanation of the building process, strength and weaknesses, and the importable of the team itself. The winner of each week will get their team featured in the Hall of Fame!

Some rules:

1) Don't copy somebody else's team. Pretty straightforward here, we want this competition to be as diverse as possible, and copying a team someone else posted will result in a DQ for that week's round. Taking inspiration is absolutely fine, but I don't wanna see copies of teams.

2) Don't vote for yourself.

3) Don't ask for votes, neither for you or your friends. Let's keep the competition fair and clean.

Here's an example on how you should post your team:

describe building process, strength and weaknesses, etc.

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Explosion
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Bronzong @ Custap Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

or a pokepaste https://pokepast.es/3c1583eda59976b5

HALL OF FAME

by mael :heatran: :uxie: :bronzong: :tyranitar: :breloom: :dragonite:

by 16bit

Won by Jirachiee,16bit,oiponabys and Churielix

:jirachi: :camerupt: :gengar: :skarmory: :suicune: :breloom: -16bit

- oiponabys

:froslass: :dragonite: :lucario: :rotom-wash: :heatran: :gengar: - Jirachee

:Jirachi: :Suicune: :Breloom: :Rotom-Wash: :Latias: :Heatran: - Churielix

Last edited by a moderator:
This first week is gonna be a bit of a warm up, so I have chosen Rain! You need at least one Pokemon with Rain Dance and 2 Swift Swimmers with this already being a semi established style. It will be interesting to see what you'll be able to cook up good luck and I hope I see some fire!

The deadline for the building phase is Friday 6/16 at 11:59:PM EST.

Last edited:
:uxie: :kingdra: :qwilfish: :suicune: :bronzong: :latias:
Click sprites for importable ^^

Uxie @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn

The lead of the team, pretty self-explanatory. Get up your rocks, rain if you can, and U-turn out to the appropriate Pokémon. Psychic is for Fighting types which this team would otherwise struggle to switch into. EV spread allows Uxie to be physically tanky and survives a Choice Specs Modest Latias Draco Meteor + Stealth Rock.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Uxie: 262-309 (74 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

The secondary rain setter, first rain abuser, and main sweeper/wallbreaker of the team. Rain Dance + Swift Swim is a deadly combination, allowing Kingdra to boost its speed and also power up its water STABs. Hydro Pump and Surf together may seem repetitive, but Hydro gets very big benchmarks on certain Pokémon that Surf doesn't. Surf is preferred for cleaning up lategame though, because it has more PP and no miss chance. Draco Meteor hits the main water resists for solid damage; for example, it can do upwards of 70% to offensive Suicune.

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab
- Explosion

The secondary rain abuser of the team. I felt like Qwil was the best choice as a 2nd Swift Swimmer because of two unique traits; Explosion, and its Poison typing. The poison typing is very important for rain due to absorbing Toxic Spikes. It also has some slight defensive utility with its ability, Poison Point, so you could switch it into something like a Machamp if you want to save your Uxie for later.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Hidden Power: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam

Your classic 3 attacks CM Suicune. I chose Surf over Hydro on this build because alot of the time, Suicune will be in rain, and I feel that Surf in rain, especially at +1, is powerful enough. HPElectric is here because I felt like this build had trouble with DD Gyarados. Every member can cripple it in some way, but none of them like to switch-in, so this is one of my go-tos against Gyarados. Ice Beam is obvious for Grass-types, such as Breloom and Roserade.

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rain Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

The 3rd rain setter of my team, and the main specially defensive backbone. In rain, Bronzong technically has no weaknesses, because its Fire weakness is cancelled out by rain and Ground is nullified by the ability Levitate. The moves are self-explanatory. Rain Dance because I wanted a 2nd tanky rain setter. Gyro Ball hits hard due to Bronzong's low speed and hits crucial targets such as Tyranitar. Earthquake is for Steel-types, and Explosion is when you sacrifice yourself, likely so one of your Swift Swimmers can come in.

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Healing Wish

This is the late-game cleaner of the team if you cannot manage to get rain setup consistently anymore. You can also use it in the mid-game to click Dracos, or use its Healing Wish to revive a teammate which can be very valuable. Thunderbolt is for DD Gyara because I didn't feel like HPElectric Cune was enough, I just wanted to have some backup. Trick is for some tricky walls that may get in your way, such as bulky steels and Clefable. Healing Wish is used to get a teammate back to full and keep the rain going.

Enjoy!​

Heatran @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 Atk / 248 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Explosion

Rotom-Wash @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

Empoleon @ Sea Incense
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Drill Peck

Azelf @ Damp Rock
EVs: 8 HP / 104 Atk / 144 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Explosion

random rain i threw together

use magma tran+colbur rotom to burn out ttar
makes keeping weather easier
don't need qwilfish as badly because in tspikes/scarf tar stall games, the empoleon swings the matchup your way, rose tspikes possibly annoying maybe do azelf as lead

16bit

What does your soul look like?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I think rain is really restrictive in what makes a team that can cover most popular archetypes (pixie + bronzong + 2-3 swift swimmers + second steel is like 95% of successful rain teams), so I decided to change up something within that formula:

Mespirit + Ludicolo Rain
Mesprit @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Healing Wish

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab
- Explosion

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis
- Explosion

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Kingdra @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Signal Beam
My favorite thing to use on DPP rain teams is Ludicolo: when it gets sent in with rain up, it's ability to absolutely suffocate teams with water/grass/ice STABs is hard to stop, with opposing teams main options to stop it being setting up sand and chipping it. I prefer using Grass Knot on it over Giga Drain because of its ability to hit Tyranitar and Suicune hard, two things that can get in the way of a rain team's success. However, the lack of recovery options comes at the expense of its longevity: In testing rain teams, I find I wish I had Ludicolo an extra 1-2 turns to be able to turn a losing game into a winning one. Using mespirit as the lead allows a rain team to use Healing Wish, giving Ludi a second chance at unleashing its offensive onslaught. EVs on Mespirit let it guaranteed to live 2 Meteor Mashes from 252+ Metagross after rocks. Rest of the team is fairly standard: Qwilfish to cover tpsikes + open up the other two Swift Swim mons by breaking special walls, Bronzong is a second rain dance setter, Metagross covers lead Azelf + can sweep w/ agility in matchups where rain fails, and Kingdra is a cornerstone of rain, putting more pressure on the opposing team's defensive backbone.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
:uxie: :tyranitar: :bronzong: :ludicolo: :kingdra: :jirachi:

At first sight Tyranitar on a rain team might seem counterintuitive, but it does a very important job at reliably trapping latias, as well as actually providing counterplay vs electrics and other special attackers. Especially with Custap Berry it can get a crucial hit off at times and also does a surprisingly good job at getting the rain up vs certain mons that otherwise can prevent the RD like, ironically, Heatran. EVs are so that 2 Draco from Specs Latias put you into Custap Range, so you can always switch in and pursuit. Either you kill their Latias, or you get a Suicide Rain Dance off as they stay in. The second twist here is the Sub CM Jirachi, which honestly turns a lot of difficult match ups vs like fat teams in my favour, by providing something that can set up on the seismic tossers, forretress and similar. Another reason why Tyranitar works so well here, considering that it actually can remove Roar Latias for Jirachi, which clears the path vs many teams. With Rain I opted for Thunder, simply to have an additional bit of cheese. If you get the para vs Heatran with Thunder oder Uxies Twave you can actually cheese through a whole ass Heatran with Rain up with this Jirachi set. EVs are for having a 93.7% Chance to live +1 Gyarados EQ, since my only answer to it, Uxie, has a tendency to get flinchfucked. Uxie, Zong, Ludicolo and Kingdra just provide the general rain core. Nothing unusual about any of these. It's a fun team and actually very good and performs fairly consistently.

Uxie @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Tyranitar @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 232 Atk / 176 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Psychic

Kristyl

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
:uxie: :qwilfish: :dragonite: :bronzong: :kingdra: :magnezone:

I really like the Dragonite set that Excal shared here and rain can offer some of the support I enjoy using it with so I wanted to give it a shot. The first thing I like that rain offers to support Sub DD Dragonite is weather clear, it can setup much more easily thanks to the passive recovery from Leftovers making it even more potent. Secondly I've enjoyed that thanks to Qwilfish we can have Toxic Spikes making it safer to setup on bulky Water-types and Ground-types. Then finally I've added Magnezone as my 2nd steel type to remove Skarmory, the addition of Magnezone also lets me go with a DD Kingdra making the team more physically oriented. I decided to with Memento Uxie so I can give more opportunities to my setup sweepers, Dragonite in particular. It also helps to deal with DD sweepers which can definitely get out of hand. I wasn't sure how useful the extra damage from Life Orb was on Qwilfish since I have Magnezone to help with Skarmory so I wanted to try something a bit different. Lum Berry can be especially helpful for dealing with Jirachi which may try to stop your sweep and be an overall nuisance for rain. It also has the benefit of being a one time Breloom switch which can be useful for when Magnezone gets locked into the wrong move or when it's trying to generate momentum off my slower Pokemon, like Bronzong or Uxie. The Dragonite EVs are to out speed Adamant Flygon at +2 and more confidently out speed Rest Talk Rotom and Roserade. The biggest downside I've found is Substitute doesn't live Rest Talk Rotom's Thunderbolt 100% of the time but the odds are still heavily in your favor so in my opinion it can be worth it. I've found DD Kingdra to be a pretty disappointing Pokemon due to its lack of damage output making it often fall short so I wanted to try and squeeze out as much power as I can with Sea Incense. The extra power is helpful but there's many items you can run here so use whatever is your preference. I see rain is really established but It's been awesome to see the many unique takes on it in this thread, keep it up. Thanks to Excal for coming up with this awesome Dragonite set. That's everything I wanted to comment on, hope you enjoy!

Uxie @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Memento
- U-turn

Qwilfish @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Toxic Spikes
- Waterfall
- Explosion

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 144 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Rain Dance

Kingdra @ Sea Incense
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Explosion
- Thunder Wave

Sorry that I'm late I forgot this was a thing anayways time to vote!
Team 1 by kalifgeust21: :uxie: :kingdra: :qwilfish: :bronzong: :latias: :suicune:
Team 2 by eden: :azelf: :heatran: :kingdra: :rotom-wash: :ludicolo: :empoleon: (Please use sprites next time)
Team 3 by 16bit: :mesprit: :kingdra: :qwilfish: :ludicolo: :bronzong: :metagross: (Please dont use big sprites next time)
Team 4 by mael: :uxie: :tyranitar: :bronzong: :ludicolo: :kingdra: :jirachi:
Team 5 by Kristyl: :uxie: :qwilfish: :dragonite: :bronzong: :kingdra: :magnezone:
Voting phase ends on Jully 22.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)