OU DPP OU Teambuilding Competition

Ok sorry i'm late once again my Pc broke this time so i'm no just being lazy I will try to be on time next week though! And Congrats to the winner of week one Meal! With there very cool Tyranitar rain. This week is one of my personal favorite pokes Honchcrow.
Building phase ends at 12:00 pm est on the 31st good luck and happy building!

Honchkrow nonsense:

Honchkrow is a super bad pokemon. Decided to try to take advantage of its great ability Insomnia by giving it pure physical bulk and its 101 HP subs by giving it substitute + setup. This team uses very good pokemon in skarm + jira + mag + rotom to try to give this Honchkrow a chance to sweep. It rly needs Spikes, paraspam, skarm/heatran trapping, spin, and wclear to work, which these 5 pkmn provide. I made this Rotom set on the fly and tbh I kinda fuck w it a lot on this style with a pokemon that wants the weather gone. It'll lure tar in, burn it, and start trading down and hopefully win the weather war. If it doesn't, Honch rly needs ttar crippled/gone and this team does a good job at wearing down its (many) natural checks.

I think this team is quite good for Honchkrow standards. Tried thinking of ways to use honchkrow offensively and honestly found every option to be quite terrible cause it's too slow and frail and its typing is pretty bad defensively. Flying type that doesn't resist fighting is super awkward. The EVs on this team did not have much effort put into them at all but u get the gist.

Pideous

World Defender
:Honchkrow: :Magnezone: :Jirachi: :Starmie: :Breloom: :Gliscor:
It's really hard to find a home for Honchkrow, but I thought I'd get the best use out of it as a poor man's ScarfTar, trapping Dark weaks like Rotom, Gengar, Latias and Starmie. Honchkrow has a couple of glaring issues in this role, including the lack of sand, which allows ScarfTar to provide consistent value even when Pursuit trapping isn't required. The bigger issue is of course the fact that Honchkrow can't really switch into much of anything, especially if rocks are down. Honchrow has to come in on stuff like double switches, after a kill or on a move like Trick or Recover, which is much more restrictive and provides a lot more options to the intended trap victim to escape. This compounds the difficulty Honchkrow has in executing the trap successfully, given that a misprediction will allow the target to escape or Honchkrow to be put down in a lot of cases. However, in cases where the trap is successful, Honchrow will have contributed a lot more to the game than it's usually expected to. There are a couple of advantages associated with this approach. Krow is faster than TTar, and with a Jolly nature outpaces stuff like Ada Gyara/ Dnite, potentially hitting them with a big Brave Bird even at +1. Non Chople DDtar is easily handled by Superpower. Honchkrow is also less vulnerable to Fighters, like Machamp and especially Loom. With Krow revealed, Spore is much harder for your opponent to click, which can make it easier to dance around. That said, Krow is still a pretty hideous Loom switch, especially without investment, since Superpower OHKO's even without rocks lol. For this reason, I went Super Luck to really embrace the cheesiness of this strategy get a potentially significant boost in damage without having to worry about switching into Loom. In the lead position, it has some potentially favourable matchups. Azelf is noteworthy, since even a bulky or Colbur set has a 25% of being KO'd by super luck Night Slash before even getting up rocks. TTar has to run in fear of SPower. Latias, Uxie, Starmie and Machamp are also favourable. With this team, Krow is useful in baiting a MMash from Metagross to give Zone an easy trap. Without Zone, a purely physical choice locked Krow is doomed to bounce off of the numerous resists in the tier. Even with Zone, scarf Krow is hardly an offensive terror, but it has a much better shot at making progress than it otherwise would. Breloom seemed like a reasonable choice to abuse the Pursuit trap while also appreciating the lack of sand compared to TTar. A bulkier Protect variant appreciates the removal of Skarmory and helps handle Gyara, which this team (like most teams) can struggle with. A Rock weak pursuit trapper is just begging for Rapid Spin support, which obviously benefits from an answer to Ghosts. Starmie is slapped on for some nice type synergy, much appreciated speed, and ability to spread paralysis. Jirachi is the rocker and with good bulk, in this case with emphasis on SpDef, has plenty of chances to get them up. Gliscor is the much needed Ground immune and Luc check. With SD it can also take advantage of missing pokemon like Skarmory, Starmie and Latias to apply game ending pressure. It's tough to find ways to make Honchkrow more than a dead weight, and relying on it to remove key pokemon may be too ambitious but this is the best I can come up with right now.

Honchkrow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Night Slash
- Pursuit

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Magnet Rise
- Substitute

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Starmie @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Impish Nature
- Force Palm
- Leech Seed
- Bulk Up
- Protect

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance
- Roost

That SubCM Krow team is really cool, I never would have thought to take advantage of Honchkrow's defensive potential like that. I'm looking forward to seeing if there are any more innovative approaches to a Honchkrow team.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
:honchkrow: :latias: :scizor: :suicune: :heatran: :rotom-wash:

honchkrow is entirely unviable. the list of mons that are more viable than honchkrow is really long and includes shit like venomoth. but... i still tried building something and even laddered from like 1350 to over 1500 with it. the reason i put it in the lead slot is cause then i don't need to worry about a) finding turns to get hits off and b) rocks, as well as it actually matching up recently decently vs azelf and roserade as well as sometimes lets u get a good hit off vs rachi. from there on i tried to like map out early game sequences, see what mons honchkrow will reliably damage and kill and went from there. i decided on a sort of overloading team with mons that get hits off vs rachi / heatran / metagross and then put the pressure from there. that's why we put latias and scizor there. modest specslatias is ridiculously strong and scizor with superpower actually beats down steels quite well and has incredible sweeping potential. suicune came in to have a better match up vs the HO teams as well as a sort of blanket one time check for many mons. heatran ended up on the team to help with switching into rachi and take a load off scizor, which i wanted to use as little as possible defensively. i originally had scarf flygon but ended up too lucario weak and replaced it with rotom-wash. that's kinda cool cause the dual trick and boom heatran then help me with the match up vs defensive teams. gotten cune sweeps vs stall teams bc of that dynamic. offensively the team is super potent and when u can maintain pressure it generally does really well. the biggest issues are that it has no rock resist and no real ttar switch in, but also ttar kinda gets pressured heavily. it switches into latias once and from there on it's fair game the rest of the game for every other mon on the team. team is far from perfect but i didn't want a team of 5 good mons and honchkrow as a filler but instead something that actually builds off of what life orb honchkrow can (or at least tries to (lol)) offer.

importable

have a nice day.

Pideous

World Defender
:Zapdos: :Steelix: :Roserade: :Heatran: :Rotom-Wash: :Latias:

Steelix isn't the best, but it is much better than Honchkrow lol. Can be handy on a team like this which becomes quite weak to physical attackers like TTar by stacking special attackers, and having a somewhat reliable switch into DDTar is quite valuable. It can be quite passive so I went with a simple set to do what it does well - get up rocks and start shuffling pokemon around. Rest of the team is TSpike special spam. Offensive Rose is nice to to put some pressure on with the threat of sleep, luring Tran with HP Ground is super useful for this team. SubRoost Zap really benefits from offensive investment like this, especially since without spin it has to make an impact when it gets in. Lives Specs Mie Ice Beam, and max speed is really nice on Zap to make it a real nightmare for offense. Rotom with specs helps weaken stuff like Tran and TTar, and Trick on this and Latias can hit Clefable or provide an opportunity to set up with Torment Tran. Latias to keep Gyara and stuff in check with scarf, and provide another Trick. Basically a RoseTran offense which gets to go all out with special spam and really abuse the TSpikes thanks to the Steelix safety net.

Heresy (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Roost

Mr Self Destruct (Steelix) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Protect

Ruiner (Roserade) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 48 HP / 228 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]

A Warm Place (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 48 SpD / 216 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Torment
- Substitute
- Protect

Hurt (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Trick

Closer (Latias) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Trick

edit- rip steelix i guess lol

Last edited:
Congrats to Excal for winning last week with there Sub Cm Honchkrow! After last week being super tough with Honchcrow I figured I should give you guys an easier one with Trick Room your required to have at least 2 setters the more original the better (so dont just make it a generic OTR Zong team) good luck and happy building.
Voting starts on Aug 10 whenever the post goes up.

Last edited:
https://www.smogon.com/forums//media/minisprites/starmie.png https://www.smogon.com/forums//media/minisprites/camerupt.png https://www.smogon.com/forums//media/minisprites/bronzong.png https://www.smogon.com/forums//media/minisprites/tyranitar.png https://www.smogon.com/forums//media/minisprites/dusknoir.png https://www.smogon.com/forums//media/minisprites/dragonite.png

Trick Room is an inconsistent (and imo unviable) playstyle. The absence of autokill moves like 97+ base power Knock Off and a much worse Healing Wish in gen 4 makes it easier to play around.
Instead of going for rock spam that is usually seen on these 'fun teams', I opted for a core of OTR Zong + CBTar + MixNite. Given that none of these pokemons like to switch into defensive Rotom/Heatran, Camerupt was chosen as the rocker: camel could beyond this role benefit from trick room and prevent Jirachi from flinching the whole team to death. With the 4 in mind, the team needed a) a lead that prevents rocks b) speed control. Life Orb Starmie met the 2 conditions and gave a way to chunk bulky water types without exploding. The final member of the squad, a bulky trick room setter, should be able to check Gyarados and dragon dance Dragonite who are problematic. Both Slowbro and Dusknoir fit the bill and I opted for Dusknoir, for his good synergy with dragonite by saving him switches on cc/uturn.
Another option is to add speed to bandtar so you can 2hko skarmory outside of trick room.

Here are few replays from ladder, to see how it functions:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1389962048
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1390124539 (could have definitly played this one better)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1390040848-lho9ez1buejzy5tcihh3g1y3vldbxvlpw

As a bonus, maybe not the best but definitly the coolest, a reproduction the trick room-gravity-rhyperior team that some guy spammed on the ladder months ago. Very fun to use.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
4) Don't post too many memes. I will make sure each week we'll build around something unconventional and that is also viable in the DPP OU metagame, so I hope to see very good teams with unconventional stuff that makes sense.
:heatran: :uxie: :bronzong: :tyranitar: :breloom: :dragonite:

https://pokepast.es/fbc55d1d17e17506

i think i managed to cook up a somewhat viable team (also played a good 30 games with it (and even managed to win most (though it was mostly mid ladder (but i got up to 1500)))). when building this i wanted 3 things. 1) i wanted reliable tr setters that not only do well setting tr, but also give turns to the actual offensive mons. if i can get 3 turns of trick room for my attackers out of each, that is already pretty good. 2) i wanted generally bulky mons that can tank hits outside of trick room, so that i can get a quick advantage early on with the trick room and then just play it out by having bulkier mons with stronger attacks than the opponent and more capacity for tanking hits. 3) i wanted at least 2 users of priority to offset the lack of a scarfer / good revenge killer, so that the set up teams don't just slap me after tr is off and so that i can pick off the strong faster attackers like starmie and infernape after tr runs out. so with those general ideas in mind i decided for uxie and bronzong.
uxie is there cause it provides both, sr and tr, while also having the bulk to actually set up both. i decided for sitrus cause uxie almost always stays in for precisely 3 turns, so the 25% recovery is better than the 3 times lefties and also it helps me deal with offensive starmies better than lefties. tbolt is on there cause of starmie and gyarados mostly. bronzong because it does both, set tr and provide offensive pressure while also having the boom for the trade. the general reasons why u want bronzong on tr. it's usually the second tr setter for either the lategame sweep itself or for the second round of trying to get early advantage. sometimes u gotta maintain it's health for checking certain stuff. the reason why i'm leading heatran is cause i actually always wanted to try eruption tran and this was my best shot at it. specstran is generally a good lead and it works really well here. the main problem is azelf getting sr and boom off, but oh well, what can u do. triple fire move cause i originally had hp grass but literally never ever clicked it. might try boom > flamethrower at some point. ttar cause tr into ttar pursuit actually lets me handle so many mons that might otherwise threaten the team quite a bit (latias for example, starmie etc) as well as just being potentially the best wallbreaker in the tier. mixnite is there cause it provides priority and actually hella fucks up some of the defensive teams. it's such a strong mon when u can prevent sr, which heatran sometimes does. extremspeed is crucial tho. it generally does the thing of either getting 2-3 kills in tr or being the useful last mon to rk with speed and then get another kill cause it tanks p much everything. like heatran and ttar it fits the criteria of being really bulky and really strong at the same time. hella useful outside of tr too. breloom is maybe the odd one out, cause it actually has a set up move. the idea is that, uxie tr into memento actually always lets me get an sd off and then loom has 2 more turns and they will p much always be kills unless the opponent has a ghost, but if they realize that, they will go ghost and ttar traps in tr easily. the synergy is p insane. this loom set + cbtar slaps defensive teams around so much and vs offensive teams you have another mon that can tank 1 hit most of the time and ohko back.
the main issues for this team are actually breloom and scizor, but it's doable. generally u should try to activate loom orb asap and then just get into a position where u have like 2 of ttar / tran / zong at max health and are a mon up thru early pressure with tr, then u good.

replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1391292387-zou6a82ahpd7cfxickp5vkz9xw9hewopw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1391291049-gihzbrcjtpq1xvkchc7kkun39m9n44dpw (got a little unlucky but this kinda shows the teams functioning mechanisms p well)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1390900905-gj7efj7y4trstkru14a6fkzneeevz4bpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1390894558-rtlbimwyjpub3wa80lfchdp8f22bl77pw (this shows how good loom can be)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)