Dragapult @ Colbur Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 124 HP / 176 SpA / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Draco Meteor
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

124 HP allows Dragapult to take an Ice Fang from Jolly Choice Band Barraskewda after Stealth Rock. The Speed EVs also allow Dragapult to outspeed Jolly Barraskewda. The rest of the EVs are piled into Special Attack to make Dragapult hit hard as possible (particularly to punish walls like Corsola-G harder - this is why Hex is a valid option on Corsola-G over Night Shade as of now). Colbur Berry allows it to check Sucker Punch Cinderace and tank Knock Offs from Fighting types like Conkeldurr and Sirfetch'd whilst Leftovers gives it more longevity versus bulky walls like Corviknight and Corsola-G.
Dragapult @ Leftovers
EVs: 84 HP / 32 Def / 184 SpA / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- U-turn

Jolly Baraskewda has a small chance to kill with Ice Fang after rocks. You can always live the hit if you change the spread to 84 HP and 32 Def. Pult can then live that hit, live four Night Shades from cancer coral as the set does before, and invest an extra 8 EVs into Special Attack. You can run just 84 Defense and 216 Special Attack if you're colbur. The speed seems so team dependent imo, my toad/ferro/ditto team doesn't need the investment for skewda compared to a more offensive team. I remain steadfast in my opinion that the Hex set is the best one by far, followed by specs, and then everything else.

252 Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Ice Fang vs. 124 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 260-306 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Ice Fang vs. 84 HP / 32 Def Dragapult: 248-292 (73.8 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 84 Def Dragapult: 234-276 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Hey all. New to the forums.

Just wanted to ask, is there a decisive answer as to whether Modest or Timid is the way to go on the specs set? I often here people listing the merits of each, but is the extra power worth losing that speed tier in this meta?

Would love to hear what you guys have to say on the matter.

Just wanted to ask, is there a decisive answer as to whether Modest or Timid is the way to go on the specs set? I often here people listing the merits of each, but is the extra power worth losing that speed tier in this meta?

It really depends the team comp imo. I would generally say Timid because it's faster than Adamant Excadrill at +1 (though most are Jolly, as they should be), Adamant Gyarados at +1, Jolly Baraskewda (outside of rain and they tend to be Adamant), and a potential speed tie with opposing Timid Dragapult; however, Modest is fine if you have decent checks/counters to the aforementioned mons. Offensive teams generally want the extra Speed and the extra power loss can somewhat be made up for with Spikes, where it can act as a spinblocker. I tend to use bulkier builds, where I'm not worried about using Drag (run Hex on balance/semi-stall instead) to check those mons. In my experience, you can feel the power difference.

An example of this is physically defensive Toxapex:

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Toxapex: 121-144 (39.8 - 47.3%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Toxapex: 133-157 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Similar rolls exist, such as for Physical Defensive Clefable with out any SpDef investment, though a lot of them run a more offensive set with Life Orb.

Tl;dr: Timid, but it really is team dependent

Welcome to Smogon! :)

Last edited:

Timid is better. Basically all the reasons the above poster said. Specs Dragapult isn't a good wall breaker, it's a cleaner. Use it as such.

Timid is better. Basically all the reasons the above poster said. Specs Dragapult isn't a good wall breaker, it's a cleaner. Use it as such.
What is the case for using him over Darm, if you don’t mind me asking? Because A scarfed Darm has a much stronger offensive stat, plus is Faster than Timid pult. He also has access to UTurn like Pult for momentum. So on paper it seems like he can break AND clean. Thoughts?

Last edited:
What is the case for using him over Darm, if you don’t mind me asking? Because A scarfed Darm has a much stronger offensive stat, plus is Faster than Timid pult. He also has access to UTurn like Pult for momentum. So on paper it seems like he can break AND clean. Thoughts?
There are a few issues G-Darm. While G-Darm is fucking broken, Dragapult can threaten certain mons which the scarf set cannot. This includes stuff like G-Corsola and more importantly, stuff behind a Substitute such as BU Corviknight and Hydreigon which can be hard for offensive teams to stop once they set up. People can add to the list if they would like. Further more, Darm tends to have less longevity than Dragapult. Rocks+FB tend to chip at its health, and hazard control isn't as abundant as it was in USUM. Finally, Dragapult can spinblock against Excadrill. I'm sure there are other reasons. Those are just some off the top of my head.

Scarf G-Darm is still really good and you should not be discouraged from trying it; however, Band is better for bonking shit. Just like with the Timid/Modest question, it ultimately depends on the team you are using. The only way to see which is better for your team is through testing.

Last edited:
There are many issues G-Darm. While G-Darm is fucking broken, Dragapult can threaten certain mons which the scarf set cannot. This includes stuff like G-Corsola and more importantly, stuff behind a Substitute such as BU Corviknight and Hydreigon which can be hard for offensive teams to stop once they set up. People can add to the list if they would like. Further more, Darm tends to have less longevity than Dragapult. Rocks+FB tend to chip at its health, and hazard control isn't as abundant as it was in USUM. Finally, Dragapult can spinblock against Excadrill. I'm sure there are other reasons. Those are just some off the top of my head.

Scarf G-Darm is still really good and you should not be discouraged from trying it; however, Band is better for bonking shit. Just like with the Timid/Modest question, it ultimately depends on the team you are using. The only way to see which is better for your team is through testing.
Fantastic reply, thanks so much. I think the reason I wanted to see if there was a true definitive answer on the nature issue was because I hatched a shiny 5iv Modest Dreepy in game, and wanted to know if I should spend 50bp on a timid mind. But yeah, i will test both natures out on showdown first and see which one works best. I might even do a Darm-Pult combo. Thanks a lot!

Been toying around with different idea that involved Drakloak and Eviolite when I realized something pretty big. A Bold Nature Dragapult with Max hp and defense still out speeds base 95’s (by 3 if they are max invested and positive speed nature). Given how insane this things typing is, A will-o-wisp pivot with u-turn and Hex can be insanely irritating. But what’s better, it can tank a lot of hits surprisingly well neutrally AND is Fire Blast is still strong enough to 2hko Ferrothorn. Oh, and it can get Cursed Body for what that’s worth

Dragapult has an option I haven't seen yet here (probably because it's more niche): Acrobatics. Due to the nature of Phantom Force, with Power Herb, you've now got a decent flying type coverage option. Could also work with terrain seeds like Hawlucha.

Here's a potential set that can catch people by surprise:
Dragapult @ Power Herb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Acrobatics
- Phantom Force
- Dragon Darts

Side note: Special Dragapult is also pretty neat with an Eject Pack and Draco Meteor for a one-time momentum-preserving revenge kill.

Dragapult has an option I haven't seen yet here (probably because it's more niche): Acrobatics. Due to the nature of Phantom Force, with Power Herb, you've now got a decent flying type coverage option. Could also work with terrain seeds like Hawlucha.

Here's a potential set that can catch people by surprise:
Dragapult @ Power Herb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Acrobatics
- Phantom Force
- Dragon Darts

Side note: Special Dragapult is also pretty neat with an Eject Pack and Draco Meteor for a one-time momentum-preserving revenge kill.
Does flying type coverage in Acrobatics actually benefit Dragapult at all in any key matchups? I can’t think of anything.... so not sure what the point is. But the herb idea is cool.

Does flying type coverage in Acrobatics actually benefit Dragapult at all in any key matchups? I can’t think of anything.... so not sure what the point is. But the herb idea is cool.
I think the only thing that it helps it harder is ribombee.

But I think it is run mostly for Mac Airstream for the +1 speed

Been using this and even topped the ladder at some point with it in conjunction with other broken set up sweepers
Dragapult @ Light Clay
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn

As a set up sweeper it feels like a mediocre choice who absolutely has to rely on Dynamax moves to deal noticeable damage, it's probably better off as an all out attacker or a pseudo screens Koko like I've been using it.
Edit: Just realized Cursed Body is a HA, Infiltrator is still decent if you wanna hit stuff behind subs or screens with Dragon Darts.
This set truly is that new wave. I was super skeptical at first because honestly this set looks lame as hell when you are thinking about this guy in terms of a sweeper but Dragapult isn't even that strong so fuck it. As a matter of fact I had an epiphany and realized this set isn't even as lame as it could be so I started running wisp on this guy too. I've seen some people use infestation which is annoying as shit so I love that. I think U-turn is probably better but if you run infestation you can put all those offensive EVs into bulk.

Dragapult @ Light Clay
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn/Infestation

(evs are not optimized right now at all I'm just operating under the assumption that I can burn physical attackers)

I really like Scarf Dragapult these times. I was tired of being bopped by Darmanitan each and everytime. Scarf Dragapult is an amazing lure that obviously outspeeds Scarf Darm, while Specs Dragapult does not. So they lead with Darm, you lead with Dragapult, and they'll go for either U-turn or Icicle Crash if they're scarfed. But then:

252+ SpA Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Darmanitan-Galar: 354-418 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Moreover, even if Modest, Scarf Dragapult outspeeds +2 Gyarados. Provided there was some chip because of Life Orb, Stealth Rocks, Substitute etc. Dragapult can then bop a Dynamax Gyarados with Thunderbolt:

252+ SpA Dragapult Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 180-212 (54.3 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In case Gyara is not KO'd, it is weakened enough that Ditto can come in, copy its boosts, and KO it even through the extra HPs from Dynamax.

Here's the set I'm using:
Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

I really like Scarf Dragapult these times. I was tired of being bopped by Darmanitan each and everytime. Scarf Dragapult is an amazing lure that obviously outspeeds Scarf Darm, while Specs Dragapult does not. So they lead with Darm, you lead with Dragapult, and they'll go for either U-turn or Icicle Crash if they're scarfed. But then:

252+ SpA Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Darmanitan-Galar: 354-418 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Moreover, even if Modest, Scarf Dragapult outspeeds +2 Gyarados. Provided there was some chip because of Life Orb, Stealth Rocks, Substitute etc. Dragapult can then bop a Dynamax Gyarados with Thunderbolt:

252+ SpA Dragapult Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 180-212 (54.3 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In case Gyara is not KO'd, it is weakened enough that Ditto can come in, copy its boosts, and KO it even through the extra HPs from Dynamax.

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
When the Speed creep got to the point running a Scarf on a Pokémon with 142 base Speed is considered viable.

(It's unfortunate that it cannot outspeed Hawlucha and use its own Electric Terrain against it)

Is Draco Meteor really necessary, though? It looks more like it could use something like U-Turn or even a status move like Will-o-Wisp for emergencies.

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

Also of note is that Scarfed Dragapult can also outspeed Sand Rush Excadrill as long as it has not Rapid Spin boosted

Scarfed Dragapult has a niche of revenge killing many sweepers that will be prevalent in the Meta with help of hazards or previous damage. G-Darmantian Gyrados and the afformentioned Excadrill

Last edited:
What counters this thing?
For counters, the best that exist are Grimmsnarl, Tyranitar, Toxapex and Mandibuzz. Grimmsnarl and Tyranitar don't last long against it however, and Toxapex and Mandibuzz need to be wary of a potential Electric move, thus a secondary pivot like Excadrill, Corviknight, and Hatterene work quite nicely.

To make this post less of a one-liner, I ended up making this set for Rain teams:
Dragapult @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

Thunder 2HKO's Toxapex after Stealth Rock and does even more damage once Toxapex is burned. It also allows you to potentially status those that are immune to burns, however those tend not to be Dragapult resistances.

For counters, the best that exist are Grimmsnarl, Tyranitar, Toxapex and Mandibuzz. Grimmsnarl and Tyranitar don't last long against it however, and Toxapex and Mandibuzz need to be wary of a potential Electric move, thus a secondary pivot like Excadrill, Corviknight, and Hatterene work quite nicely.

To make this post less of a one-liner, I ended up making this set for Rain teams:
Dragapult @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

Thunder 2HKO's Toxapex after Stealth Rock and does even more damage once Toxapex is burned. It also allows you to potentially status those that are immune to burns, however those tend not to be Dragapult resistances.
would assault vest tyranitar be perf

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
would assault vest tyranitar be perf
It would do pretty well, but it is still susceptible to U-turn and the potential mixed/physical set.

Generally, the best counterplay is to carry a number of pivots (i.e: Corv/Ferro/Tar/Pex x2-3) or something like SDef oriented Mandibuzz on the defensive end. However, carrying a lot of offensive pressure, including ways to revenge kill it, as well as a pivot should also be sufficient. Hard countering Dragapult is admittedly quite challenging right now.

So what's the best way to run Dragapult? Has one moveset, nature, and items stood out above others?
Not really. There's a certain style however to what I think suits it best and that is the hit and run style that Tapu Koko envisioned in gen 7. I think U-turn is a nearly mandatory move for it - it helps it pivot out of the matches in which prediction is too difficult or certain counters are present (such as rocks Tyranitar for Specs, SpD Toxapex, Mandibuzz, etc). Thus to me the best way of playing Dragapult is to punish these checks as hard as possible and that is what the Hex set envisions. Here's what I have down for the possible options:

Dragapult @ Colbur Berry / Expert Belt / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Draco Meteor / Thunder
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn / Hydro Pump

Note that other people may think differently: for most I have heard that they often prefer a fourth coverage move on Choice Specs over U-turn. Dragapult's quite customizable in that way.

Not really. There's a certain style however to what I think suits it best and that is the hit and run style that Tapu Koko envisioned in gen 7. I think U-turn is a nearly mandatory move for it - it helps it pivot out of the matches in which prediction is too difficult or certain counters are present (such as rocks Tyranitar for Specs, SpD Toxapex, Mandibuzz, etc). Thus to me the best way of playing Dragapult is to punish these checks as hard as possible and that is what the Hex set envisions. Here's what I have down for the possible options:

Dragapult @ Colbur Berry / Expert Belt / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Draco Meteor / Thunder
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn / Hydro Pump

Note that other people may think differently: for most I have heard that they often prefer a fourth coverage move on Choice Specs over U-turn. Dragapult's quite customizable in that way.
So I usually saw Adamant/Jolly was the way to go for Dragapult. It's interesting to see a timid nature. Is there a particular team it's best on?

So I usually saw Adamant/Jolly was the way to go for Dragapult. It's interesting to see a timid nature. Is there a particular team it's best on?
Dragapult is pretty splashable, as long as your team has a few reliable pokemon to switch into, it should perform quite well.

Adamant/Jolly is for physical sets but special dragapult seems to be more desired as its special moveset is just plain better, even if it's base special is 20 weaker than it's physical, Dragapult doesn't need to OHKO to fulfill its roles.

Gen 8 sub toxic gliscor
Dragapult @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body / Infiltrator
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Disable / Draco meteor

Infiltrator + meteor is the way to handle hydreigon behind a sub , otherwise the set is self explanatory and anti-fun , spread can be touched , 124 spe for Gengar .

It sweeps well and most team running around aren't expecting this bs, once dyna is no longer part of ou , mon won't be able to ignore disable anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)