dragmag team!

Hi smogon! So I made this team recently and I have been doing quite well with it, but I feel changes are definitely needed and I was hoping to get some help with it here. The team is a dragmag team which relies on using Magnezone to trap steels to then sweep with dragons. I also love to set up hazards to wear down the opponents team so that I can sweep easier. The team is as following.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature (+Spe, - SpAtk)
EVs: 4 Spdef / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Lead Terrakion. This guy helps a lot as an offensive Stealth Rocker as he generally forces switches which allows him to easily get up rocks. He also can taunt opposing support pokemon so that they can't status me or recover. and especially so they can't get up rocks themselves, as my team does not like Stealth Rocks at all. A fair bit a of prediction is needed however on using this Terrakion as a mispredicted Taunt can easily mean I lose Terrakion.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature (+Spatk, -Atk)
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Spatk / 220 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpAtk

- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Specs Magnezone deals with the pesky steel types stopping my dragons, thanks to his ability Magnet Pull which stops them from switching out. Specs HP fire always 2hkos Ferrothorn in rain and deals with most steel types such as Forretress and Scizor, and other steel types such as Skarmory die to Thunderbolt. Volt Switch is great as it does big damage and gives me lots of momentum. As hazards are probably going to be set up on the opponents side of the field it also racks up residual damage as well as giving me momentum. Flash Cannon and is for hitting things that resist Thunderbolt and Volt Switch such as the Lati twins. I have changed the EV spread on Magnezone so that he can outspeed max Speed Adamant Scizor

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spatk / 252 Spe

- Trick
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Following the suggestion of Princess Bri I have decided to change my CB Dragonite for a Specs Latios. Latios helps tear holes in opposing teams especially when their steels have been dealt with by Magnezone. It also helps me deal with Special Landorus better, as well as Conkeldurr and physically defensive pokemon in general. Trick cripples a wall I may have trouble with, Surf hits thing like Scizor and Rachi for big damage especially under rain, Psyshock deals with fighting types, Tentacruel or if I have to hit something like Blissey. Draco tears hol;es through teams and with Magnezone support it is almost guaranteed to score an 0hko or 2hko on anything that comes in.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Spatk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

As recommended by Princess Bri and Dr Ciel I have changed my Specially Defensive Forretress for a Choice Scarf Jirachi. Jirachi deals better with opposing dragons like the Latis and provides good scouting with U-turn making it easier to trap steels. Ice Punch is to revenge dragons, Landorus and the like, Iron head is stab and flinch hax can save me games that are all but lost, and Healing Wish is a great choice to restore one of my sweepers to pull off an unexpected late game sweep, and it has definetely won me the game a couple times.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Naive Nature (+Spe, -Spdef)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spatk / 252 Spe

- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

As suggested by Princess Bri I have changed my Mixmence into a Choice Scarf Moxiemence. As opposed to Jirachi, Mence's role is more of a late game cleaner, Jirachi is a more of a scout. Mence is an excellent late game sweeper, as getting just one boost makes it nigh impossible to stop. Earthquake is for steels and has good coverage with dragon, Fire Blast deals with Ferrothorn and Forretress, Dragon Claw is when I dont want to lock myself into Outrage, Outrage is my main move or cleaning up weakened teams.

Garchomp @ Salac Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Spatk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Swords Dance
- Substitute

- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

As Princess Bri recommended I have changed Garchomp from a Scarfchomp into a SubSalac Set. This gives me a great setup sweeper and can set up all over things like Ferrothorn and Deoxys-D. This Garchomp set always does a lot of work and Earthquake and Dragon Claw have great coverage. There are also times that I can sub down until I get the Salac Berry boost and proceed to sweep. At +2 it does huge damage to anything, its a great addition to the team.

All in all, I have done pretty well with this team but I feel it needs a lot of work and posted it here so that maybe I could get some rates and suggestions. Suggestions are much appreciated!

Hey! This is a good start to a successful DragMag team; however there are a few things I would try out to help it improve. For starters, Forretress seems rather useless on such an offensive team. You already have a Stealth Rock'er in Terrakion, and Spikes really hamper your offensive momentum when you use them. Additionally, Forretress is not an effective way to check Lati@s at all, and they still can 2HKO him with a Specs Draco Meteor or OHKO with Hidden Power Fire (if its Sturdy is broken). Opposing Dragon-type Pokémon give you hell since you lack a good answer to them and they wreck your current Dragons. To help check the aforementioned issues, I would use a Scarf Jirachi instead of Forretress. A set of Ice Punch / Iron Head / U-Turn / Healing Wish is a good set for this team. Jirachi gives you a great Dragon killer that can U-turn out of Steel-types that it lures in to Magnezone and trap it. They form a cute VoltTurn combo much like Forretress; however, Jirachi has a few added perks. The speed, the Iron Head hax, and Healing Wish are all added bonuses. Healing Wish gives one of your Pokémon another life, and it should work well on your team. Now, there are a few other issues I would like to address. First of all, you are very weak to Keldeo. With Stealth Rock up and no spinner now you are going to be in trouble since it can simply Hidden Power Ice your two current Dragons. Opposing Conkeldurr can be troublesome as well since they can set up on Terrakion, weakened Salamence, etc. and OHKO Dragonite with Ice Punch after the Scale is broken and can live a CB Outrage. Special Landorus can also use Hidden Power Ice to hit your dragons and you have to rely on revenging with a Scarfed Garchomp when it can Rock Polish. To fix these issues, try out a Specs Latios instead of Dragonite. Latios can still abuse Magnezones trapping abilities and additionally can check the aforementioned threats well. A set of Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Surf / Trick should work well. Lastly, I am proposing you change your Salamence into the Scarfer and Garchomp into a Swords Dancer. Scarf MoxieMence is a much better Scarfer than Garchomp, and SubSalac SD Garchomp is a fantastic sweeper with Magnezone support. Max Atk and Speed should suffice for all my recommendations, even Jirachi (+Spe nature on all). Outrage / Dragon Claw / Earthquake / Stone Edge on Salamence and Substitute / Swords Dance / Earthquake / Dragon Claw | Outrage on SubSalac Garchomp should work.

The team is cool and I hope I gave you some ideas. Gl.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello.

This is a nice DragMag team you got here. DragMag is hard to make in a tier filled with weather teams such as Rain and Sand, plus a ton of threats such as Keldeo and others running around, so I give you major props for trying it out. Anyways, this is a really well put together team, and hopefully with this rate, it can become even better, so without further adu, let's get into the rate! Alright, first up, I would like to agree with Princess Bri's suggestion of a Choice Scarf Jirachi over Forretress. As said before, Jirachi is a great Dragon Killer with access to Ice Punch and has the ability to KO a lot of threats in OU with the right attack. Moving on, I would also agree wit hthe suggestion of Swords Dance Garchomp over your current choice of Scarfchomp. SD Garchomp is a great setup sweeper, as once it gets off an SD, it's nearly impossible to stop with it's combination of Outrage + Earthquake, which is great neutral coverage. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck with your team!

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf Lv. 100 -- Serene Grace

Nature: Jolly - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
- Iron Head

Garchomp @ Life Orb Lv. 100 -- Rough Skin

Nature: Jolly - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

Hey! This is a good start to a successful DragMag team; however there are a few things I would try out to help it improve. For starters, Forretress seems rather useless on such an offensive team. You already have a Stealth Rock'er in Terrakion, and Spikes really hamper your offensive momentum when you use them. Additionally, Forretress is not an effective way to check Lati@s at all, and they still can 2HKO him with a Specs Draco Meteor or OHKO with Hidden Power Fire (if its Sturdy is broken). Opposing Dragon-type Pokémon give you hell since you lack a good answer to them and they wreck your current Dragons. To help check the aforementioned issues, I would use a Scarf Jirachi instead of Forretress. A set of Ice Punch / Iron Head / U-Turn / Healing Wish is a good set for this team. Jirachi gives you a great Dragon killer that can U-turn out of Steel-types that it lures in to Magnezone and trap it. They form a cute VoltTurn combo much like Forretress; however, Jirachi has a few added perks. The speed, the Iron Head hax, and Healing Wish are all added bonuses. Healing Wish gives one of your Pokémon another life, and it should work well on your team. Now, there are a few other issues I would like to address. First of all, you are very weak to Keldeo. With Stealth Rock up and no spinner now you are going to be in trouble since it can simply Hidden Power Ice your two current Dragons. Opposing Conkeldurr can be troublesome as well since they can set up on Terrakion, weakened Salamence, etc. and OHKO Dragonite with Ice Punch after the Scale is broken and can live a CB Outrage. Special Landorus can also use Hidden Power Ice to hit your dragons and you have to rely on revenging with a Scarfed Garchomp when it can Rock Polish. To fix these issues, try out a Specs Latios instead of Dragonite. Latios can still abuse Magnezones trapping abilities and additionally can check the aforementioned threats well. A set of Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Surf / Trick should work well. Lastly, I am proposing you change your Salamence into the Scarfer and Garchomp into a Swords Dancer. Scarf MoxieMence is a much better Scarfer than Garchomp, and SubSalac SD Garchomp is a fantastic sweeper with Magnezone support. Max Atk and Speed should suffice for all my recommendations, even Jirachi (+Spe nature on all). Outrage / Dragon Claw / Earthquake / Stone Edge on Salamence and Substitute / Swords Dance / Earthquake / Dragon Claw | Outrage on SubSalac Garchomp should work.
Thanks for the rate and suggestions Princess Bri! I tried them out and they really make this a better team. With Moxiemence it is much easier to clean up teams and SubSalac Garchomp is great as a setup poke on things like Deoxys-D. However I am putting Fire Blast over Stone Edge on Mence seeing as I never use Stone Edge and Fire Blast helps against Ferrothorn and Forretress. Scarf Jirachi also really helps give momentum and makes it easier to predict steel switch ins thanks to U-turn. I am kind of iffy on having 2 scarfers though, but it gives me a backup revenge killer if one of them dies. Specs Latios also gives me a good wallbreaker dealing massive damage to teams, especially when steels are gone.

Hello.

This is a nice DragMag team you got here. DragMag is hard to make in a tier filled with weather teams such as Rain and Sand, plus a ton of threats such as Keldeo and others running around, so I give you major props for trying it out. Anyways, this is a really well put together team, and hopefully with this rate, it can become even better, so without further adu, let's get into the rate! Alright, first up, I would like to agree with Princess Bri's suggestion of a Choice Scarf Jirachi over Forretress. As said before, Jirachi is a great Dragon Killer with access to Ice Punch and has the ability to KO a lot of threats in OU with the right attack. Moving on, I would also agree wit hthe suggestion of Swords Dance Garchomp over your current choice of Scarfchomp. SD Garchomp is a great setup sweeper, as once it gets off an SD, it's nearly impossible to stop with it's combination of Outrage + Earthquake, which is great neutral coverage. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck with your team!
Hi and thanks for the suggestions Dr. Ciel! I have indeed put Scarf Jirachi over Forretress and changed Garchomp to SubSD, however I prefer Dragon Claw over Outrage as I prefer not getting locked into a move as I can be baited easily.

edit: I have made an additional change to the team changing Magnezone's EV spread to 36 HP / 252 SpAtk / 220 Spe Timid Nature to outspeed offensive SD Scizor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)