OU Dragonite

[OVERVIEW]

* Dragonite's great overall stats, in particular a base Attack stat of 134, make Dragonite a huge threat in OU.
* It has an excellent defensive ability in Multiscale, which gives it a far easier time setting up and can even be used to stop setup sweepers.
* It has access to a wide range of coverage moves, including Fire Punch, Earthquake, and Iron Tail.
* Its movepool and stat distribution mean it can pull off a variety of sets effectively, being able to function as a wallbreaker or a late-game sweeper and can even run defensive sets, making it unpredictable.
* Dragonite faces a lot of competition from Salamence for a teamslot, with its main niche over Salamence being its better movepool ability to set up more easily thanks to Multiscale; however, unlike Salamence, it may struggle to complete a sweep.

[SET]
name: Flyinium Z
move 1: Fly
move 2: Fire Punch
move 3: Extreme Speed
move 4: Dragon Dance
item: Flyinium Z
ability: Multiscale
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Flyinium Z transforms Fly into a one-time 175-Base Power Flying-type move, allowing Dragonite to break past many of its usual checks and counters, such as Landorus-T, Tapu Fini, Mega Venusaur, and Azumarill.
* Fire Punch breaks through bulky Steel-types, 2HKOing Ferrothorn, bulky Mega Scizor, and Magnezone and OHKOing Kartana.
* Extreme Speed takes care of faster foes, such as Pheromosa and Tapu Koko, as well as certain Choice Scarf users.
* Dragon Dance increases Dragonite's already decent Attack while also boosting its subpar Speed, potentially letting it sweep.
* Earthquake is also an option over Fire Punch, surprising Heatran, Nihilego, and Tyranitar while also smacking Magnezone harder.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Attack investment along with an Adamant nature maximizes Dragonite's sweeping potential.
* 252 Speed EVs are used to make up for Dragonite's relatively low base Speed, notably allowing it to outspeed Weavile and Greninja at +1.

Usage Tips
========

* Dragonite should take advantage of Multiscale to get up a free Dragon Dance as soon as it comes in to sweep.
* Dragonite should avoid switching in while Stealth Rock is on the field if at all possible, as it breaks its Multiscale while taking away a chunk of its HP.
* Removing the Electric-, Rock-, and some Steel-types that can take a boosted Fire Punch is important before Dragonite comes in to sweep.

Team Options
========

* Magnezone and Magneton make great partners for this set because of their abilities to trap and KO the opposing Steel types that threaten Dragonite, in particular Skarmory, which can take even a +3 Fire Punch and phaze Dragonite with Whirlwind.
* Dragonite appreciates Defog and Rapid Spin support to keep its Multiscale intact, so Latios, Excadrill, and Zapdos make for good teammates. Latias is particularly notable for its ability to also provide Healing Wish support.
* Ground-types such as Excadrill and Mamoswine are nice partners because they can get rid of Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Magnezone and Rock-types such as Tyranitar.
* Tapu Fini is a nice partner for this set, as it stops all forms of status, which Dragonite hates, and also provides an Ice-type switch-in.

[SET]
name: Electrium Z
move 1: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 2: Fire Punch / Earthquake
move 3: Thunder Punch
item: Electrium Z
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Outrage is the strongest STAB move that Dragonite gets access to.
* Dragon Claw can be used over Outrage so that Dragonite can avoid being locked into a Dragon-type move.
* Dragon Dance turns Dragonite into a lethal sweeper, boosting its already excellent Attack and improving its Speed.
* Fire Punch hits Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Kartana, which otherwise wall this set.
* Earthquake beats Heatran, Tapu Koko, and Magnezone.
* Thunder Punch alongside Electrium Z gives Dragonite access to a one-time 140-Base Power Electric-type move, which hits Skarmory, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, Toxapex, Gyarados, Celesteela, Azumarill, Togekiss, and a number of other targets.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Attack EVs allow Dragonite to hit as hard as possible.
* 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature let Dragonite Speed tie with maximum Speed Hoopa-U, as well as outspeed maximum Speed Ash-Greninja and Choice Scarf Xurkitree at +1.

Usage Tips
========

* Dragonite should be brought in mid or late-game after it's checks and counters have been eliminated or crippled enough for it to sweep.
* Dragonite should never be sent in while Stealth Rock is up, as it breaks Multiscale, making it far more difficult for it to set up.

Team Options
========

* Excadrill can provide Rapid Spin support for Dragonite and stop Stealth Rock from breaking Multiscale, and also deals with the Fairy-types that are immune to Outrage.
* Latios and Latias are also useful teammates, being able to Defog away Stealth Rock, but they have poor defensive synergy with Dragonite.
* Strong wallbreakers like Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B can help weaken the opposing team so that Dragonite can sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* A Choice Band set can be used to hit extremely hard without requiring any setup at all, but such a set can struggle at times, since being locked into a Dragon-type move or Extreme Speed is not great.
* A Fly set with Substitute and Dragon Dance is viable alongside Leftovers, but requires huge amounts of team support as it requires almost all Flying-type switch-ins to first be eliminated.
* Lum Berry + Dragon Dance is a decent option to allow Dragonite to set up on status users, as well as cure it of confusion from Outrage.
* Waterfall alongside Waterium Z can be used to hit the same targets that Fire Punch and Earthquake does, but in one moveslot, such as Tyranitar, Heatran, Nihilego, Skarmory, Landorus-T, Celesteela, and Tangrowth.
* Weakness Policy has a niche on Dragonite thanks to Multiscale allowing it to tank almost all hits, including super effective ones, and potentially sweep at +2.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy types such as Azumarill, Clefable, and the Tapu Pokemon can easily exploit Dragonite being locked into Outrage and revenge kill it.
**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Weavile, Kyurem-B, Mamoswine, and Protean Greninja carrying Ice Beam can usually OHKO Dragonite with their strong Ice-type attacks, even factoring in Multiscale.
**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock breaks Dragonite's Multiscale, increasing its frailty while also taking away a chunk of its HP.
**Physically Defensive Walls**: Physical walls such as Skarmory, Celesteela, Hippowdon, and Mega Slowbro generally don't take much from Dragonite's attacks, and can Toxic stall it to death, although many of them struggle to survive a Gigavolt Havoc.
**Status**: Status in general severely cripples Dragonite, with burn halving its Attack, paralysis making it much more difficult for it to sweep, and poison putting it on a timer.

Last edited:
>Fly
That is... sad. I can't help but feel that Mono Attacker won't be of much use. Maybe the Rain Attacker or the (very annoying) Rain Tank set will see a rise as a Win Condition on the late game, thanks to Drizzle Pelipper.

>Fly
That is... sad. I can't help but feel that Mono Attacker won't be of much use. Maybe the Rain Attacker or the (very annoying) Rain Tank set will see a rise as a Win Condition on the late game, thanks to Drizzle Pelipper.
I understand that it might seem kind-of strange. but mono-attacking Dragonite with Fly is actually surprisingly good. It was decent last gen and there hasn't been really anything introduced that would severely hurt it's viability. I've been testing it recently and it breaks through a lot of stuff late game if given the right support. Roost + Substitute let's it stall out a lot of things, and it has plenty of opportunities to set up some Dragon Dances. If it can set up, it's still a very powerful sweeper, even on resisted hits.

+3 36 Atk Dragonite Fly vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scizor-Mega: 238-282 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+4 36 Atk Dragonite Fly vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manectric-Mega: 230-271 (81.8 - 96.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+4 36 Atk Dragonite Fly vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 220-259 (78.2 - 92.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The combination of it + Magnezone is what makes this set so good though. It means that if you play Magnezone properly, you'll never have to deal with Mega Scizor or Ferro and a few other Steel types, which threaten this set.

Haven't tested this personally, but maybe Fly + Flyium Z should be mentioned under OO / set details of the DD set. With it, Dragonite gains a one time 175 bp flying type move which is capable of OHKOing Toxapex, Slowbro, Clefable, and Ferrothorn at +1 after Stealth Rock damage. Its main draw is its ability to eliminate the standard bulky Water-types without being locked into Outrage, which can aide certain teammates such as Mega Scizor greatly.

Haven't tested this personally, but maybe Fly + Flyium Z should be mentioned under OO / set details of the DD set. With it, Dragonite gains a one time 175 bp flying type move which is capable of OHKOing Toxapex, Slowbro, Clefable, and Ferrothorn at +1 after Stealth Rock damage. Its main draw is its ability to eliminate the standard bulky Water-types without being locked into Outrage, which can aide certain teammates such as Mega Scizor greatly.
That sounds like a fairly decent option actually, I'll test it a bit.

p2

Banned deucer.
there's quite a few issues with this analysis, there's the massive vagueness in the overview which doesn't tell the user anything about why you should use dnite or what it does in the meta and not to mention i counted 3 mentions of illegal megas through the analysis which shouldn't be mentioned at all considering we're now a month into the tier. landorus is still mentioned too.

there is also 0 mention of jolly on dd 3 attacks

fix these and i will check this later

Last edited:
Reactions: Wob
there's quite a few issues with this analysis, there's the massive vagueness in the overview which doesn't tell the user anything about why you should use dnite or what it does in the meta and not to mention i counted 3 mentions of illegal megas through the analysis which shouldn't be mentioned at all considering we're now a month into the tier. landorus is still mentioned too.

there is also 0 mention of jolly on dd 3 attacks

fix these and i will check this later
Updated.

I am asking out of curiosity more than anything, but you mentioned Fly has a downside of giving a free turn of set up, in addition, it is PP stalled by Protect/Sub to an extent. Would Wing Attack by a viable alternative? It out damages Fly in the 2 turns, plus it circumvents the possible free set up turn. Or is the extra turn of Leftovers recovery too good to pass up? I haven't used the Fly set in the previous generation just to be clear.

I am asking out of curiosity more than anything, but you mentioned Fly has a downside of giving a free turn of set up, in addition, it is PP stalled by Protect/Sub to an extent. Would Wing Attack by a viable alternative? It out damages Fly in the 2 turns, plus it circumvents the possible free set up turn. Or is the extra turn of Leftovers recovery too good to pass up? I haven't used the Fly set in the previous generation just to be clear.
I guess it could fit in OO. The thing us that on ce you get set up enough the two turn wait from Fly shouldn't matter unless they have Sub or Protect since everything should theoretically get OHKOed anyway.

mulgokizary

Banned deucer.
Hi, how are you doing?

Wing attack is way too damn weak on that set. DD + Multiscale + Sub is sturdy enough to allow Dragonite to sweep the opposing team with Fly with the proper team support.

That being said, I don't know how the order of set works in analyses yet, but I feel like you're doing Dragonite's standard DD set a disservice by listing it after the much more niche DD + Fly set which requires way more team support to pull off. A lot of Dragonite's inherent strength comes from its ability to DD and assail the opposing team with a variety of coverage moves in order to break the team down for something like DD Zard X later, or having a similar attacker break through things that annoy it earlier for it to sweep lategame. It can flexibly be an early game breaker or a lategame sweeper thanks to how its ability makes it nigh impossible to stop from setting up and killing at least one thing as long as hazards are up. Banded Dragonite performs a similar role, breaking through teams with its stupidly powerful outrage/fire punch combo while also providing ESpeed support to glue teams together/provide a lategame wincon against offense in E-Speeding all of the Pokemon down. This is Dragonite's flagship, and most effective, role in the metagame, as opposed to the DD Fly set which is a "super" lategame sweeper that needs a ton of things removed from the opposing team, like pretty much every opposing steel especially Skarmory, dead to start sweeping. The set's effectiveness has been further hampered by metagame trends such as the rise of Zapdos that we saw during last OLT. It's popularity has seemed to continue into gen 7 on several bulky teams I've seen on the ladder in the past month. Stall is also running Protect on several mons, especially Sableye, this gen... not to mention that Haze has also risen to annoying popularity on both Tapu Fini and Toxapex which cockblocks the Fly set hard since it's trying to sub and get several boosts while abusing Multiscale.

Anyway, I'm not saying Fly doesn't deserve a place on the dex, but I definitely think it should be the third set if it's going to be included. I also think you should list some dragons that appreciate Dragonite's breaking power or help it sweep in the Team Options section like Zard X or Salamence for the DD set. I'm also curious as to why Flyinium-Z isn't anywhere on the DD set, because Dragonite is just a DAMN scary abuser of Supersonic Skystrike and a +1 version of it can break down a lot of things that make it easier for other dragons, like, again, the super-powerful Zard X to sweep.

Thanks for reading.

Anyone considered trying a lure/special attacking set?

Modest, Life Orb/Dracium Z with 3 attacks + Roost. With the coverage Dnite gets it can be fairly decent in catching physical walls off guard.

[OVERVIEW]
- you are just referring to dragonite's stats, movepool, and abilities. the reader sees its stats and knows it has multiscale. why is multiscale good? you can set up easily or use it to stop dangerous sweepers. mention that. you are going to have to describe the pokemon's traits in comparison to the metagame, not compare it to itself.
- some of the points are not needed. any sweeper will be crippled by status and will have its main stab nullified at times. i'd say its a liability in more defensive match ups, especially stall.

dragonite will be seen running two sets: offensive and defensive dragon dance

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 3: Extreme Speed / Earthquake
nature: Adamant / Jolly

this set is wild good and it is dragonite's best set since the problem last generation was regular dragon dance could set up easily but it failed to do much afterwards. now dragonite can nuke something with z-fly such as tapu fini, landorus-t, etc. and then still have great sweeping capabilities. bets part is this set can usually get more the one dragon dance. i haven't see a single one of these use a dragon move yet which is why i don't have it slashed.

[SET]
name: Substitute + Dragon Dance
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Dragon Dance
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
evs: xxx / xxx / xxx / xxx

this set is still pretty hipster and it works. it has an easier time in the metagame with the lack of weavile, tyranitar's sand breaking its multiscale, prankster users,....

choice band struggles as a set this generation since dragon dance breaks better than choice band after a boost. being locked in extreme speed is pretty bad with psychic terrain and mega metagross all over the place to walk your team over. i'd just remove it and make it a heavy mention in oo.

[Other Options]
- regular dragon dance with a lum berry but being walled by tapu fini, grasses, any fairy basically is really poor. the set needs more team support as well.
- remove superpower + thunder punch combo since that's bad
- life orb is bad too
- dragon dance / dragon claw / earthquake / roost @ leftovers is actually a decent set, so i would have it here

also a heads up for your c&c section as mega gardevoir is not yet released.

I feel that CB still deserves it's own set. I agree that it's not as good as it was last gen but it still makes for an excellent early game breaker with Outrage coming off 134 attack with a choice band hitting most things pretty hard. Coupled with Multiscale it basically gets a kill every time it comes in if you can predict correctly as it 2HKOes even the bulkiest of walls.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 171-202 (43.4 - 51.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Yeah, it's probably the worst set on the list but I still think that it deserves a spot of it's own.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Been playing a little more Dragonite. I'm going to echo what Vertex has listed above since I feel that's the best approach with this mon.

I also did some testing with Electrium Z after Vertex has been using it, and I'll say it's really good. It's good for going through your usual problematic mons (Tapu Fini, Skarmory, Celesteela) and Thunder Punch is also nice if you're toe-to-toe with (Mega) Slowbro too. I've been doing Dragon Dance / Dragon Claw / Thunder Punch / Earthquake with a Jolly nature. Fairly good with Mega Pinsir and does okay with CB Staraptor but there are likely better teammates than 'raptor (I was running it for funsies). You could probably run Outrage too, but either way this set wants a Dragon-type STAB to get through Landorus-T and other Ground-types. I also really like Healing Wish Jirachi with Dragonite because it can give Dragonite a reset button if shit gets iffy with setting up while being an answer to Scarf Tapu Lele which otherwise revenge kills the set.

I need to use Choice Band more, but I think if it passes as a set it is literally "barely" passing. I think the only reason I would want Band Nite is that it still has Extreme Speed to fall back on and you can catch switches off-guard with Choice Band Earthquake or Fire Punch, but in general I feel it is a borderline set to even include in the analysis. I feel a strong mention in OO is better.

Best way to approach this analysis is like so:

DD+3 Flyinium Z:
[SET]
name: Dragon Dance (Flynium Z)
move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Fire Punch / Earthquake
nature: Adamant / Jolly

DD+3 Electrium Z:
[SET]
name: Dragon Dance (Electrium Z)
move 2: Thunder Punch
move 3: Fire Punch / Earthquake

Fire Punch helps bypass Tapu Bulu Ferrothorn Scizor, Earthquake helps through Heatran and smashes Mega Metagross a bit harder. Pick your poison.

- Sub+Fly feels really OO worthy too, it requires a ton of support and either the meta is way too fast for it IMO or way too bulky for it otherwise. Sub boosting wincons feels better with something like Zygarde IMO which has few good answers with boosted Thousand Arrows.

Last edited:
ok i am back:
before i start, choice band is awful as locked in extremespeed gives tapu lele and metagross free turns which is honestly terrible
subdd fly was good last gen but dnite benefits so much from zcrystals it's kind of hard to justify plus all the haze users screw it over as well

overview
- your overview should talk about dragonite's movepool and multiscale. it is the reason why you would use it over mence on some teams.
- speaking of mence, say dragonite sets up easier but may not complete the sweep. if mence is set up then it is pretty much a done deal
- condense the overview in general since there is a lot of useless fluff in there (the last 8 bullet points of the overview honestly don't need to be said lol)

sets
[SET]
item: Multiscale

- usage tips will have to mention easy set up but needs more assistance from teammates to help it sweep instead of mence which will usually autosweep but will need assistance from teammates to help it set up

[SET]

- electrium z hits tapu fini, celesteela, skarmory, tapu lele, slowbro, toxapex, and alomomola, a few of many examples.

other options
- you can mention band and subdd fly here
- mention lum berry + dragon dance
- waterium z + waterfall
- weakness policy
- remove life orb mention
- remove the first bullet point since you have an electrium z set now

Last edited:
Reactions: p2

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ok i am back:
before i start, choice band is awful as locked in extremespeed gives tapu lele and metagross free turns which is honestly terrible
subdd fly was good last gen but dnite benefits so much from zcrystals it's kind of hard to justify plus all the haze users screw it over as well

overview
- your overview should talk about dragonite's movepool and multiscale. it is the reason why you would use it over mence on some teams.
- speaking of mence, say dragonite sets up easier but may not complete the sweep. if mence is set up then it is pretty much a done deal
- condense the overview in general since there is a lot useless fluff in there (the last 8 bullet points of the overview honestly don't need to be said lol)

sets
[SET]

- usage tips will have to mention easy set up but needs more assistance from teammates to help it sweep instead of mence which will usually autosweep but will need assistance from teammates to help it set up

[SET]

- electrium z hits tapu fini, celesteela, skarmory, tapu lele, slowbro, toxapex, and alomomola, a few of many examples.

other options
- waterium z + waterfall
Slap his changes, add Earthquake in Moves for both sets since it smashes Tyranitar and Heatran but they don't have to be in slashes.

Once you have these changes and everything, tag me and I will review the analysis again.

Reactions: p2
ok i am back:

overview
- condense the overview in general since there is a lot of useless fluff in there (the last 8 bullet points of the overview honestly don't need to be said lol)

sets
[SET]

[SET]

other options
- waterium z + waterfall
- weakness policy
What's the logic behind one being Jolly and the other Adamant?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Adamant needs extra power on ExtremeSpeed.

One last thing: Weakness Policy should be added in Other Options. It's still damn good and with Tapu Fini around it's arguably easier to trigger and snowball. Of course Fini needs to be dented first.

But yeah WP is lit.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Nuke the Xurkitree mentions. Could also mention Mamoswine as a partner since it handles Tapu Koko and checks Thundurus. I would mention Latias can Healing Wish Dragonite too, though could mention Jirachi does too (Jirachi handles Scarf Tapu Lele).

Mention in Physical Walls that majority of them do not appreciate taking a Gigavolt Havoc.

Sorry for changing up so much but I hope after using the sets you understood why.

QC 1/3

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]

* Great overall stats, in particular a base Attack stat of 134, make Dragonite a huge threat in OU.
* Has an excellent defensive ability in Multiscale, which gives it a far easier time setting up, and can even be used to stop setup sweepers.
* Access to a wide range of coverage moves, including Fire Punch, Earthquake and Iron Tail.
* Movepool and stat distribution means it can pull off a variety of sets effectively, being able to function as a wallbreaker, a late game sweeper, and can even run defensive sets, making it unpredictable.
* Dragonite faces a lot of competition from Salamence for a teamslot, its main niche over Salamence being its ability to set up more easily thanks to multiscale, and its better movepool, however unlike Salamence, it may struggle to complete a sweep.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Flyinium Z transforms Fly into a one time 175 base power Flying-type move, allowing Dragonite to break past many of its usual checks and counters. like what? mention tapu fini and landorus-t
* Fire Punch breaks through bulky Steel-types who resist Fly, 2HKOing Ferrothorn, Bulky Mega Scizor, and OHKOing Kartana, as well as 2HKOing Magnezone.
* Extreme Speed takes care of faster opponents, such as Pheromosa and Tapu Koko, as well as Choice Scarf users. dragonite doesn't beat many choice scarf users so i would remove this part and say extreme speed can be used to pick off weakened greninja for example
* Dragon Dance increases Dragonite's already decent attack, while also boosting it's subpar Speed, potentially letting it sweep.
* Earthquake is also an option over Fire Punch, surprising Heatran, Nihilego and Tyranitar, while also smacking Magnezone harder.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Attack investment along with an Adamant nature maximizes Dragonite's sweeping potential.
* 252 Speed EVs are used to make up for Dragonite's relatively low base Speed, notably allowing it to outspeed Weavile and Greninja at +1.

Usage Tips
========

* Dragonite should abuse Multiscale to essentially allow it to get up a free Dragon Dance as soon as it comes in to sweep.
* Dragonite should avoid switching in while Stealth Rock is on the field if at all possible, as it breaks its Multiscale whilst taking away a chunk of its HP.
* Removing the Electric, Rock, and some Steel-types who can take a boosted Fire Punch is important before Dragonite comes in to sweep.

Team Options
========

* Magnezone or Magneton make great partners for this set because of their abilities to trap and KO the opposing Steel types that threaten Dragonite, in particular Skarmory, which can live even a +3 Fire Punch, and phaze Dragonite with Whirlwind.
* Dragonite appreciates Defog and Rapid Spin support to keep its Multiscale intact, so Latios, Latias, Excadrill, and Zapdos make for good teammates.
* Ground types such as Excadrill and Hippowdon are nice partners because they can get rid of Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Xurkitree and Rock-types such as Tyranitar.
no mention of tapu fini here?

[SET]
move 2: Fire Punch / Earthquake

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Outrage is the strongest STAB move which Dragonite gets access to.
* Dragon Claw can be used over Outrage so that Dragonite can avoid being locked into a Dragon-type move.
* Dragon Dance turns Dragonite into a lethal sweeper, boosting it's already excellent Attack and improving it's Speed
* Fire Punch hits Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn and Kartana, who otherwise wall this set.
* Earthquake beats Heatran, Tapu Koko, Magnezone, Xurkitree, and Klefki.
* Thunder Punch alongside Electrium Z gives Dragonite access to a one time 140 base power Electric-type move, which hits Azumarill, Skarmory, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, Toxapex, Mega Sharpedo, Keldeo, Gyarados, Celesteela, Mega Aerodactyl, Togekiss, Tornadus and a number of other targets.

the order you talk about the moves in do not reflect the set. the dclaw bullet point should be first.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Attack EVs allow Dragonite to hit as hard as possible.
* 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature let Dragonite speedtie with max Speed Hoopa-U, as well as outspeed max Speed Ash-Greninja and Scarf Xurkitree at +1.

Usage Tips
========

* Should be brought in mid or late-game after it's checks and counters have been eliminated or crippled enough for Dragonite to sweep.
* Dragonite should never be sent in while Stealth Rock is up, as it breaks Multiscale, making it far more difficult for it to set up.

Team Options
========
you don't need magnezone for this set because all the 'mons you mentioned are taken care of by gigavolt havoc or fire punch
* Magnezone is a very good partner for this set, if not carrying Fire Punch, as it traps Steel types, such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Skarmory.

* Excadrill can provide Rapid Spin support for Dragonite and stop Stealth Rock from breaking it's Multiscale, and also deals with the Fairy types who are immune to Outrage.
* Latios and Latias are also useful teammates, being able to Defog away Stealth Rock, but they have poor defensive synergy with Dragonite.
tapu fini is a good teammate
* Strong wallbreakers like Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-Black can help weaken the opposing team so that Dragonite can sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* A Choice Band set can be used to hit extremely hard without requiring any setup at all, however such a set can struggle at times since being locked into a Dragon-type move or Extreme Speed is not great.
* A Fly set with Substitute and Dragon Dance is viable alongside Leftovers, but requires huge amounts of team support as it requires almost all Flying-type resists to first be eliminated.
* Lum Berry + Dragon Dance is a decent option to allow Dragonite to set up on Status users, as well as cure it of confusion from Outrage.
* Waterfall alongside Waterium Z can be used to break through Tyranitar, Heatran and Nihilego. the point of hydro vortex is it also destroys things like lando-t, celesteela,...hitting everything that fire punch / eq can hit in one slot except ferrothorn.
* Weakness Policy has a niche on Dragonite thanks to Multiscale allowing it to tank almost all hits, including Super Effective ones, and potentially sweep at +2.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy types**: Fairy types such as Azumarill, Clefable and the Tapus can easily abuse Dragonite being locked into Outrage and revenge kill it
**Ice types**: Ice types such as Weavile, Kyurem-Black and Mamoswine can usually OHKO Dragonite with their strong Ice type attacks, even factoring in Multiscale
**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock breaks Dragonite's Multiscale, increasing it's frailty while also taking away a chunk of it's HP
**Physically defensive walls**: Physical walls such as Skarmory, Celesteela, Hippowdon and Mega Slowbro generally don't take much from Dragonite's attacks, and can Toxic stall it to death
**Status**: Status in general severely cripples Dragonite, with burn halving it's Attack, paralysis making it much more difficult for it to sweep, and poison putting it on a timer.
faster pokemon such as scarf nihi, lele, and landorus-t (scarf carry hp ice like all the time now) check it. i would create a section for it
this is looking pretty solid. i would implement these.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Something small to mention:

Tapu Fini is usually a good teammate on the first set. On the second set it is questionable as Misty Terrain halves the power of Dragon Claw and Outrage - usually moves you want to use once you have your checks eliminated. Though this doesn't conflict Dragonite all the time and still is an okay partner, the Misty Terrain against grounded opponents needs to be noted. Good news is that it remains unaffected against levitating Dragons and Landorus-T.

I didn't quite catch Magnezone in the second set (I was half awake on this one to be honest).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)