Dragonite

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since mold breaker nullifies other pokemon's abilities (like levitate) does it also nullify multiscale??
Yep. Which is why all Dragonite alike fear Haxorus.

On another note, I haven't tested it myself, but are Rain-based Dragonites actually efficient? I can't really find myself using a too-slow Dragonite without a boosting item to rely on. Even Life Orb is detrimental to this extent.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rain abuser DNites suck balls. CB with Waterfall/ Fire Punch(so you can do something to sun when Rain is down) and Waterfall DD are much more viable.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you don't want a choiced Pokemon and want a wall breaker rather than a DD Sweeper, then Rain DD Nite is the way to go. Hurricane, Aqua Tail, Extremespeed breaks through most threats except for Gastrodon, Latias, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Bronzong the former three can easily be worn out by entry hazards and Hurricane confusion (and if Dragonite's Mild and maxed out SpAtk, its a 2HKO on Gastrodon and Ferrothorn). Aqua Tail can even 2HKO Jirachi and Blissey and OHKO Heatran. It also deals with other defensive threats, including Ttar, Hippowdon, and Gliscor.

I believe Rain Mixed Nite is superior to the classical Mix Nite, because its main moves Hurricane + Aqua Tail, packs a punch without the loss of power after each use (Draco Meteor + Superpower), which made the latter set exploitable. It also has superior coverage in Flying + Rain-augmented Water, providing a free slot for Roost, whereas the classic set required Fire Blast. Some people do forego Roost for Thunder to deal with Skarmory, though.

The only drawback I see in Rain Nite is its dependence on weather. Drought teams would totally nerf this set.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rain abuser DNites suck balls. CB with Waterfall/ Fire Punch(so you can do something to sun when Rain is down) and Waterfall DD are much more viable.
This is not true at all.
Having a 100% stab accuracy move that has very good neutral coverage(especially when you consider that the top 2 steels don't resist flying),backed up by a solid 100 s.atck stat is very good.
Especially when you consider his other stab,dragon.
My favorite rain sets as of now are:
1.Max hp/max s.atc modest dragonite with Hurricane/Dragon pulse/T-Wave/Roost @ lefties
2.max atc/s.atc quiet dragonite with Hurricane/Aqua Tail/Thunder/Extremespeed @Life Orb

The first one is a very bulky pivot that can revenge kill crazy stuf if it stays at full health(like + 1 salamence),and spread paralyze like a boss!

The second one is a fearsome wallbreaker that can 2hko almost the entire ou with rain up iirc.
Life orb still works with MS,cause you are so slow that u almost always must take a hit and then hit back.

New World Order

Licks Toads
The 1st one is alright, although it really isn't a stereotypical rain abuser as opposed to a modified paranite.

The 2nd one is a stereotypical d-nite. and boy does it suck hard. In any weather besides rain, the only move you have that isn't complete junk is extremespeed. LO ruins pretty much the only point of using dragonite over salamence: multi scale. the Leftovers version just plain doesn't hit hard enough. 100 SpA is pretty average.

Rain abuser tanknite is amazing, two 100% accuracy high powered moves that come with a 30% chance to induce a useful status is great, not to mention that one of them gets STAB. I usually put Rocky Helmet on my Dragonite, because it can also take a lot of physical hits, stalls out Ttar if you time your Roosts correctly.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Unfortunately, Tyranitar isn't staying in on Dragonite. It comes in to shut it down. and then runs away immediately to like Landorus or something as Dragonite is left with a STAB that has a higher chance of missing at least once than hitting twice in a row. I'm also not sure why you run Rocky Helmet, taking out 1/6 of excadrills health as it KOs you is just not worth it. Leftovers at least nullifies the sand damage. Rain abuser DNites are even more useless in the sun. Four of its most common moves (Hurricane, Thunder, Surf, Aqua Tail) either make focus blast look accurate or do pitiful damage. One of the most important aspects of a weather abuser is to not be completely useless against opposing weather inducers. Dragonite can mitigate his sand futility with Brick Break, but against sun, its just, bad. A CB/ DD Dragonite can easily wreak havoc against any weather team bar hail. Tearing sand with EQ/ Brick Break/ Waterfall. Rain with Extremespeed/ Waterfall, and sun with Extremespeed/ Outrage/ Fire Punch.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One of the most important aspects of a weather abuser is to not be completely useless against opposing weather inducers..
Although, that's a good quality to have for a weather sweeper, it's not necessary. And Rain is pretty much on par with Sandstorm in terms of usage (yesterday, I think I've been playin in Rain all night), so Rain Sweepers don't exactly care too much. Rain Nite still works in Sandstorm - Hurricane is still 70% and Aqua Tail would still hurt the Ground, Rock Types, and Heatran. It's only really nerfed under the Sun, which is the less common weather, and Rain Teams should be prepared to win the weather war anyways.

Also, Excadrill says hi.

I run 4 different Dragonite sets and I find that whenever I run any SpA. sets I pretty much have to augment his power with a choice specs. I also swap out one attacking move (usually Surf) for Draco Meteor as it eases early game prediction and cripples or outright kills switchins.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Although, that's a good quality to have for a weather sweeper, it's not necessary. And Rain is pretty much on par with Sandstorm in terms of usage (yesterday, I think I've been playin in Rain all night), so Rain Sweepers don't exactly care too much. Rain Nite still works in Sandstorm - Hurricane is still 70% and Aqua Tail would still hurt the Ground, Rock Types, and Heatran. It's only really nerfed under the Sun, which is the less common weather, and Rain Teams should be prepared to win the weather war anyways.

Also, Excadrill says hi.
Aqua Tail has no STAB, so its not actually as strong as it seems. Rainabuser DNite invests mostly in SpA as well. Without the pseudo water STAB. Aqua Tail is actually kinda cruddy. 70% accuracy is not something you can rely on. It literally has a 49% chance of hitting twice in a row. That means you are more likely to miss at least one move, and hence, more likely to miss out on that 2HKO than not.

Aqua Tail has no STAB, so its not actually as strong as it seems. Rainabuser DNite invests mostly in SpA as well. Without the pseudo water STAB. Aqua Tail is actually kinda cruddy. 70% accuracy is not something you can rely on. It literally has a 49% chance of hitting twice in a row. That means you are more likely to miss at least one move, and hence, more likely to miss out on that 2HKO than not.
Aqua tail has 70%? I could have sworn it was higher.

Anyways, for the rain abuser that invests in both att/spa I never understood the reasoning for aqua tail over surf. Higher base attack yea, but I feel Surf is more reliable and it lets you get substantially more bulk/speed for a slightly weaker extremespeed

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Anyways, for the rain abuser that invests in both att/spa I never understood the reasoning for aqua tail over surf. Higher base attack yea, but I feel Surf is more reliable and it lets you get substantially more bulk/speed for a slightly weaker extremespeed

it has 90 accuracy, i think that it depends on the kind of attacker you want on your team.

New World Order

Licks Toads

70% was referring to Hurricrapcane

I disagree wholeheartedly with New World Order. I use a Rain abusing Dnite on my Rain team and it is one of my most valuable members, primarily for its ability to reliably deal with a number of Pokemon that would otherwise give rain teams (particularly stall based ones like mine) a lot of trouble such as Ferrothorn, Breloom and Tentacruel.

I personally don't run extreme speed or aqua tail on my Dragonite (though I am considering extreme speed as a priority move on my team could be quite useful) as I tend to use him more as a bulky utility counter than a sweeper. As such, I run roost and Brick Break, one to keep him alive for when I need him (and sometimes utilize him as a wall) and brick break allows me to beat Tyranitar more reliably than aqua tail/surf, while still giving me an edge against Blissey and Chansey if I can paralyze it with thunder first.

I'll be the first to admit that it isn't particularly useful in the sun, but if you're running a rain team you have other counters for weather. Sacrificing Dragonite's ability to counter so many threats to my team is just not an option.

A late game rain abusing Dnite is almost unstoppable if you use him correctly. If you're legitimately not having much success with it, you probably just suck. :/

New World Order

Licks Toads
A late game rain abusing Dnite is almost unstoppable if you use him correctly. If you're legitimately not having much success with it, you probably just suck. :/
I admit it, I do suck T.T. But rain abuser Dragonite is really easy to deal with. I don't even bother with it while teambuilding, and usually end up with a way to deal with it anyways.

-all other forms of weather, especially hail, shut it down cold
-Subtect Gliscor can outstall it
-all other forms of Dragonite win against it
-No one outhaxes Jirachi, EVA! screw your confusion, I'magonna parahax u to death
-Latios meteors KO regardless of Multi Scale (unless you're gay and run a scarf)
-Reuniclus says a big fuck you and sets up on it
-Haxorus rapes Dragonite's wife, children, and entire extended family, then proceeds to rape Dragonite itself.
-Starmie rocks it hard with Ice Beam
-Landorus rapes it
-Terrakion molests it as well
-Salamence, absolutely sodomizes Dragonite, as the jealous younger brother, he kidnaps Dragonite's wife and kids. Rapes Dragonite's wife in his face. Then proceeds to rape Dragonite through the @hole, while forcing Dragonite to engage in intercourse with his kids, leaving Dragonite to kill itself in shame.
-Latias walls and sets up on it, or Dragon Pulse twice if you're paranoid of confusion hax
-Unless you get confusion haxed, Gastrodon can toxic stall it
-Hydreigon, man it seems every member of the dragon family engages in violent sexual activity against Dragonite (except Druddigon, the unattractive disabled outcast of the dragon family who couldn't get laid by an overweight Vibrava)
-Mamoswine lets out a mighty roar, and drops massive icicles onto Dragonite, then drops more icicles on Dragonite's dead body

I admit it, I do suck T.T. But rain abuser Dragonite is really easy to deal with. I don't even bother with it while teambuilding, and usually end up with a way to deal with it anyways.

-No one outhaxes Jirachi, EVA! screw your confusion, I'magonna parahax u to death
-Latios meteors KO regardless of Multi Scale (unless you're gay and run a scarf)
-Haxorus rapes Dragonite's wife, children, and entire extended family, then proceeds to rape Dragonite itself.
-Landorus rapes it
-Salamence, absolutely sodomizes Dragonite, as the jealous younger brother, he kidnaps Dragonite's wife and kids. Rapes Dragonite's wife in his face. Then proceeds to rape Dragonite through the @hole, while forcing Dragonite to engage in intercourse with his kids, leaving Dragonite to kill itself in shame.
-Latias walls and sets up on it, or Dragon Pulse twice if you're paranoid of confusion hax
-Hydreigon, man it seems every member of the dragon family engages in violent sexual activity against Dragonite (except Druddigon, the unattractive disabled outcast of the dragon family who couldn't get laid by an overweight Vibrava)
-Mamoswine lets out a mighty roar, and drops massive icicles onto Dragonite, then drops more icicles on Dragonite's dead body
O_o You sir may have some issues.

Creepily specific details of that post aside, I'm not sure how many of those would work. If it has a DD or they come in on Twave, nearly all of those counters are destroyed. If Multiscale is intact, Mamoswine can't OHKO and I wonder if Terrakion could either.

As for any other weather stopping it, he still has a very strong Extremespeed, assorted Dragon moves, or other options that aren't reliant on Rain to make himself a bit of a nuisance.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Except that we're talking about Rain Abuser Dragonite's Extremespeed, not CB, so it really isn't that strong at all.

As for the details, well I'm intending to scar Smogon for life :P

Pocket

hmm

Hurricane still hits 70% in hail and sand, so it's not THAT bad. And Aqua Tail loses out on the Rain boost, but it still hits hard on most things that it's supposed to. Sun is really the only weather that shuts it down.

I'm pretty sure most Dragonites would not want to switch in on a LO STAB Hurricane, even with Multiscale intact, only to be 30% confused / have its lum used up / have Multiscale broken

New World Order said:
Jirachi is the hax mon, true, but irrelevant.
Dragonite is not switching into Latios, and if Latios is switching into Dragonite, it's gonna lose. Same story for Reuniclus. Same story for the rest of the mons you listed actually. i don't get it.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

tyranitar is heavily damaged by aqua tail but is probably the most reliable weather switcher to switch in to mixnite. abomasnow is mauled is hurricane hits, ninetails lowers the accuracy of most of its moves to quite low levels and is therefore a decent switch in, but if dragonite is running a dragon move / eq.
subprotect gliscor can outstall almost anything, it's like saying icebody walrein can oustall x for 32 turns, furthermore gliscor can only switch in on thunder.
they can't switch into it reliably, or if mixnite is running agility.
irrelevant
can't switch in
can't
can't switch in
can't switch in
-Landorus rapes it
can't switch in except on thunder, can't ohko through multiscale unless it's specs hp ice
can't switch in or ohko through multiscale
can't switch in
will most likely get parafused, can't switch in reliably if dnite is running a dragon move
quite likely
can't switch in very well for the same reason as other dragons
can't switch in into anything other than thunder
he has a lot of pseudo-'checks' but a lot less hard counters than you're touting. it is a powerful pokemon and abuses rain nicely. also, you're an idiot.

-Landorus rapes it
LOL what are u talking about? for the set I mentioned above the only things that can reliably switch into are jirachi and rhyperior (and some carry aquatail so gg). But seriously outside of scarfers or oppsing kingdra in rain, after one turn of set up it outspeeds starmie... the only thing it needs to worry about... Weavile is pretty much non-existent in ou.... and for the rare time that u see weavile in team preview, u just gotta make sure u take him out before u throw Xbreadon's rain Abuser set in.

I am not even gonna talk about abomasnow... he cant do shit

Ninetails has NOTHING for him as u made it seem. Ninetails usually switches in on the 1st dd to change the weather, and then wow on the second dd which gets cleared by lum berry... and then is promptly obliterated by outrage. Speaking of which... there are only a handful of other pokes that can handle + 2 outrages even without an adamant nature and without max attack investment (Bulky Steels). Basically if played correctly he will almost ALWAYS remove 2 opposing teamates and seriously maim another. U are forced to scarf revenge him in most cases... and its relatively easy to get 2 dd's in which u cant do shit.

Ttar is ur best bet to change the weather on the 1st dd, and ice beam or stone edge on the outrage.... and even if he manages to take him out, he will be really hurt. this just opens up bulky politoed to come in and change the weather back. if ttar is stupid enough to stay in hes gonna die, and if he switches out it still gives the team momentum. @ that point specs starmie in rain can sweep teams with hydro pump, esspecially since u are forced to reveal ur scarfer. Nothing is switching into specs starmie without water absorb, storm drain or dry skin (other rain teams), ferro and kingdra (4x resist to water)

U are truly underestimating rain abuser dragonite with decent team support.

LOL what are u talking about? for the set I mentioned above the only things that can reliably switch into are jirachi and rhyperior (and some carry aquatail so gg). But seriously outside of scarfers or oppsing kingdra in rain, after one turn of set up it outspeeds starmie... the only thing it needs to worry about... Weavile is pretty much non-existent in ou.... and for the rare time that u see weavile in team preview, u just gotta make sure u take him out before u throw Xbreadon's rain Abuser set in.

I am not even gonna talk about abomasnow... he cant do shit

Ninetails has NOTHING for him as u made it seem. Ninetails usually switches in on the 1st dd to change the weather, and then wow on the second dd which gets cleared by lum berry... and then is promptly obliterated by outrage. Speaking of which... there are only a handful of other pokes that can handle + 2 outrages even without an adamant nature and without max attack investment (Bulky Steels). Basically if played correctly he will almost ALWAYS remove 2 opposing teamates and seriously maim another. U are forced to scarf revenge him in most cases... and its relatively easy to get 2 dd's in which u cant do shit.

Ttar is ur best bet to change the weather on the 1st dd, and ice beam or stone edge on the outrage.... and even if he manages to take him out, he will be really hurt. this just opens up bulky politoed to come in and change the weather back. if ttar is stupid enough to stay in hes gonna die, and if he switches out it still gives the team momentum. @ that point specs starmie in rain can sweep teams with hydro pump, esspecially since u are forced to reveal ur scarfer. Nothing is switching into specs starmie without water absorb, storm drain or dry skin (other rain teams), ferro and kingdra (4x resist to water)

U are truly underestimating rain abuser dragonite with decent team support.

Umm, are you using Mixnite for this comparison or BulkdyDDnite?
I was pretty sure he was talking about Mixnite ._. AKA no DD set-up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)