drugs thread

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
revival of this thread

This thread is for:

- trip experiences
- trip sitting
- sharing information
- asking questions about drugs
- stories, personal experiences
- harm reduction (just like in the old thread)

To start this off, my personal experiences have been largely marijuana and lsd, a brief stint with mdma, and a few dmt trips. Those would have to be my favorites; I've tried coke but absolutely abhor it, I dislike what it turns people into and every experience I've had with it has been uneventful. Weed is what I do the most (as I'm sure most people do) as I like how it destresses me and it's helpful for me for focusing as I can invest several hours in some creative activity such as practicing guitar or writing. LSD is my favorite of everything I've done and have really had some soulsearching while on it, although I've had some bunk acid which really bummed me out. I don't really fuck with downers like opiates or xans or anything and I don't like most uppers either.

What I'm really interested in is shrooms. I actually plan to get some in the next week-two weeks but I'm not really sure what to expect. What would be a recommended pickup? I was thinking of getting an eighth of shrooms for the first time and maybe making some sort of chocolate concoction. How close to an acid trip should I expect it to be, as I've heard the feeling is more "natural" and shroom trips are 100% better.

I guess this thread can also be used to debate drug legalization and drug usage, or really link any news that has to do with it, but I'd rather this thread not get bogged down with just "drugs turn people into slaves" or some other ill-informed DARE level opinion. Drugs are dangerous but like anything in life are fine in moderation, and as long as you use test kits, know your dosages, and make sure you know what the side effects and what to expect from stuff are then you should be fine.

Alright guys, feel free to post whatever you want, rule of thumb is just be friendly and open :) cheers

Hi I'm considering experimenting with hallucinogenics as a means of treating depression. My current dosages of medications yield results that are best described as barely adequate, and it's really easy for something to fuck up my mood and derail anything I try to do. I've tried switching medications, every time with disastrous results, so I'd rather try something radically different than stop what I'm on and try something new only for it to fail, and from what I gather psychedelics show some promise in this area. I'm aware that there's insufficient evidence to definitively say that they'd be appropriate and I've actually tried looking at peer-reviewed literature and while it's better than nothing, it's still pretty shit as far as empirical evidence goes (small sample sizes, no controls, etc). But still, there's a bit of buzz around them in this area, enough to make them interesting.

Are there any substances that stand out in this regard? I've seen stuff written, about lsd, shrooms and ayahuasca, also a fair bit about ketamine (idk if that's in the same category?) and from what I can tell there are plenty of other substances that can have psychedelic effects but aren't as well documented due to not being as well-known or w/e. Also would I be right in assuming that it's better to start with microdosing? Would that be sufficient to have the effects I'm after? Fwiw I have next to zero knowledge about this kind of stuff, beyond the odd article I see on reddit (lol)...

... but that's not going to stop me from having an opinion on the war on drugs lol. Basically my thinking is that the likes of alchohol and nicotine have extremely negative consequences on society, probably far more so than some of the milder illegal drugs (it's hard to say I guess, since legal drugs obviously see waaaaay more use than illegal ones), which means it's inconsistent to ban those milder drugs and not alcohol (or nicotine, but idk if it's viewed the same way). The catch of course, is that USA already tried banning grog and from what I can tell it was a roaring success if you define success as accomplishing literally nothing besides ensuring that different people were distributing booze. Seriously though, prohibition doesn't work, everything should be legalised with appropriate restrictions and measures (what these are, idk and it would probably vary based on drug) to ensure they're done responsibly. I guess look at what kind of harm can come of their use? I think of harm in three categories- short term effects (to one's self and others), long term health effects and lifestyle effects (e.g. committing crime to feed a heroin addiction or something idk). So long as measures are in place to control those factors, go for it I guess. But idk I wouldn't consider myself well-informed on the issue so feel free to disregard this I guess???

Hi, I tried edibles for the first time last week. Only one dose of unknown strength, barely got high at all. Is there a good way to actually get high while being inexperienced without overdoing it and having a bad experience or should i just yolo?

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi I'm considering experimenting with hallucinogenics as a means of treating depression. My current dosages of medications yield results that are best described as barely adequate, and it's really easy for something to fuck up my mood and derail anything I try to do. I've tried switching medications, every time with disastrous results, so I'd rather try something radically different than stop what I'm on and try something new only for it to fail, and from what I gather psychedelics show some promise in this area. I'm aware that there's insufficient evidence to definitively say that they'd be appropriate and I've actually tried looking at peer-reviewed literature and while it's better than nothing, it's still pretty shit as far as empirical evidence goes (small sample sizes, no controls, etc). But still, there's a bit of buzz around them in this area, enough to make them interesting.

Are there any substances that stand out in this regard? I've seen stuff written, about lsd, shrooms and ayahuasca, also a fair bit about ketamine (idk if that's in the same category?) and from what I can tell there are plenty of other substances that can have psychedelic effects but aren't as well documented due to not being as well-known or w/e. Also would I be right in assuming that it's better to start with microdosing? Would that be sufficient to have the effects I'm after? Fwiw I have next to zero knowledge about this kind of stuff, beyond the odd article I see on reddit (lol)..
If you suffer from major depression then just make sure to be wary of taking any psychedelics. It's very easy for you to get trapped in a thought loop or for you to freak out and have a bad trip and make your feelings intensify or worsen. Shrooms I've heard is the best for treating major depression, as its the most natural of them all. I do not have any personal experience with shrooms however, as my op stated (hoping to change that though!). LSD is probably second best, just make sure if you take LSD that you 100% have a test kit because you don't want to get a NBOME and then suffer a bad trip. I don't really know anything about ayahuasca so I can't offer advice there. I don't recommend ketamine as it's not really a psychedelic its a dissociate and i'd say its far easier to get addicted to it than psychedelics. I've only heard horror stories from personal accounts of it as most people seem to hate that feeling of out of body. My roommate described his trip experience as "his entire body felt like water but he wasn't really a part of his body" and he says it was one of the worst feelings for him. It does seem to have some growing use for depression therapy but it seems a lot of people only use it as a last resort of sorts. You might try dosing on MDMA for a little, as I believe that has a bigger circle in the medical / psychotherapy field for addressing depression and schizophrenia disorders, although it is easy to get sucked into MDMA as well just like K

It's important to remember that in self-therapy such as the use of illicit drugs that the drug itself is a tool, not the answer. If you go into a trip expecting all of your problems to be solved you will be disappointed, but go into it with an open mind and simply accept everything that happens and it can help you out. Microdosing could certainly help, 10-20ug of LSD every 2-3 days has been shown to help with productivity and mood without affecting normal day to day life (normal trip is 100-200 ug usually). The difference between microdosing and regular dosing is that with microdosing you start to feel like the days you don't microdose are worse somehow because you don't have that extra kick (similar to how if you drink a cup of coffee daily and don't have your morning coffee your day somehow feels worse off). I personally think that psychedelics can have an immense impact on how we view ourselves and can help with depressive disorders. I've suffered through major depression since early highschool and was going through a particularly rough time around the time I first tripped. I remember being so angry all the time, and lashing out at everyone I saw and withholding all of my feelings within myself. Then when I tripped, at the peak it jsut "clicked' within me about how much I was missing out on the world, how poorly I was treating myself and others around me. I won't say it "fixed" anything because it didn't and I still struggle with major depressive disorder but tripping for the first time helped me see the beauty in the world that I was just passing by, like as if I was only seeing the world in shades of grey and menially getting through my days in life. Afterwards I felt more connected with everything, calmer somehow. At least momentarily it took away regrets of anything I've done in the past and quelled the worrying about the future I was anxious about, instead I could just live in the now and appreciate the moment. However in order to progress to a more stable state of mind, its important to reflect on what happens during a trip, why, and how you can change / better yourself as a person from it.

Reactions: dom

dom

Banned deucer.

Are there any substances that stand out in this regard? I've seen stuff written, about lsd, shrooms and ayahuasca, also a fair bit about ketamine (idk if that's in the same category?) and from what I can tell there are plenty of other substances that can have psychedelic effects but aren't as well documented due to not being as well-known or w/e. Also would I be right in assuming that it's better to start with microdosing? Would that be sufficient to have the effects I'm after? Fwiw I have next to zero knowledge about this kind of stuff, beyond the odd article I see on reddit (lol)...

... but that's not going to stop me from having an opinion on the war on drugs lol. Basically my thinking is that the likes of alchohol and nicotine have extremely negative consequences on society, probably far more so than some of the milder illegal drugs (it's hard to say I guess, since legal drugs obviously see waaaaay more use than illegal ones), which means it's inconsistent to ban those milder drugs and not alcohol (or nicotine, but idk if it's viewed the same way). The catch of course, is that USA already tried banning grog and from what I can tell it was a roaring success if you define success as accomplishing literally nothing besides ensuring that different people were distributing booze. Seriously though, prohibition doesn't work, everything should be legalised with appropriate restrictions and measures (what these are, idk and it would probably vary based on drug) to ensure they're done responsibly. I guess look at what kind of harm can come of their use? I think of harm in three categories- short term effects (to one's self and others), long term health effects and lifestyle effects (e.g. committing crime to feed a heroin addiction or something idk). So long as measures are in place to control those factors, go for it I guess. But idk I wouldn't consider myself well-informed on the issue so feel free to disregard this I guess???
personal experience: I have tripped with a friend who used to be depressed, and he said that not only did acid not help his depression, it actually in some ways made it worse. I think this is because of a basically mental breakdown he had after one particularly bad trip. After he took shrooms with me one time though he said his depression basically went away. He didn't have any like realization or deep intellectual thoughts it just kinda went away. Not sure what would have happened to him if he didn't take shrooms or did more acid but prolly wouldn't have been great.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My gym teacher would have an absolute fit reading this thread
i can relate. Replace "gym teacher" with "personal fitness adviser", and you have a fit of epic proportions if he were reading this thread.

Good thing he isnt here

tcr

sage of six tabs
just dosed on an eighth of shrooms might write a trip report later

this lasts upwards to 10 hours right

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
youre gonna fall asleep and wake up feeling great, should be about 12 hours

jrp

Banned deucer.
I always have a hard time writing trip reports, it's too hard to do that shit when you're peaking and by the time you come down it's hard to explain in words what you felt.

I do suffer from depression, but my experience on acid is that I absolutely need to be alone when I'm taking it, rather than a state of mind thing.

There has only been a single trip where I was with someone else that I didn't wish I did it alone. For whatever reason, I start seeing the worst traits of everybody around me when I'm tripping and it makes it very easy to fall into a bad thoughtloop. I've never had issues from being depressed, but the mistrusting thought loops I get into are a real killer.

If you're using acid or whatever, try microdosing instead of tripping. I love microdosing, it makes everything you do feel better (including making my weed feel much more potent) without peaking. I honestly think if I take any more acid going forward, i'll be doing it this way because I don't know how many more strong peaks I'll be able to take. Peaking is great, but at the same time it's extremely overwhelming and I think the exhaustion I get from feeling all that information flood into my head has turned me off to acid for a little while at least.

Mixing shit with acid is good though. Weed can help calm you down if a trip is going badly (but it can also make it more intense, so it's good to be careful), cocaine makes you feel fucking incredible, and booze can help calm you down if stuff goes bad.

If you can get access to benzos or a kpin, you can take one to end a trip if shit starts going south

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
So I'm like super healthy and I really don't fuck with smoking Marijuana or smoking anything for that matter. I've been really interested in trying edibles and would like some advice on what to expect or if its a good or bad idea. I'm just looking for information all things edibles you feel?

jrp

Banned deucer.
So I'm like super healthy and I really don't fuck with smoking Marijuana or smoking anything for that matter. I've been really interested in trying edibles and would like some advice on what to expect or if its a good or bad idea. I'm just looking for information all things edibles you feel?
Edibles are a good time, my first time getting high before smoking was on edibles and it was a good experience.

Depending on how you can get them you can get like gummies or baked goods, you can get cannabis infused butter which makes for some interesting recipes.

Reactions: BP

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
Thanks, originally when I asked my friends they ended up just telling me not to do it alone in case something bad ended up happening. I'm kinda nervous though to try it just from some people saying they didn't particularly enjoy the experience.

Do edibles still raise you metabolism like smoking does?

jrp

Banned deucer.
Thanks, originally when I asked my friends they ended up just telling me not to do it alone in case something bad ended up happening. I'm kinda nervous though to try it just from some people saying they didn't particularly enjoy the experience.

Do edibles still raise you metabolism like smoking does?
getting stoned alone is fine, you want to worry about being alone if you're uncomfortable tripping, but there's not really a ton that can go badly being stoned. I'd just make it a point to avoid contact with anyone that might react negatively to you being high until you come down, but it's fine to get high on your own.

After awhile, you get used to the feeling

It should have positive effects on your metabolism like smoking does.

Reactions: BP
Aaaaactually, it's not proven at all that weed has any effects on your metabolism.

Metabolism is a term that is used to describe all chemical reactions involved in maintaining the living state of the cells and the organism. Metabolism can be conveniently divided into two categories:
  • Catabolism - the breakdown of molecules to obtain energy
  • Anabolism - the synthesis of all compounds needed by the cells

Weed doesn't change that, as far as we know. Weed makes you hungry because it affects your brain, and essentially tricks it into thinking you're hungry.
Potheads and doctors have known for a long time that smoking weed increases appetite, said Tamas Horvath, a neurobiologist at Yale University School of Medicine. But how does a drug make people ravenously hungry?

“What drives that, nobody has ever really known. We accidentally bumped into that,” Horvath told The Washington Post.

In a paper published in the journal Nature Neuroscience this week, Horvath and his colleagues found that cannabis tricks your brain into thinking you’re starving, even if you’re full.

“It’s like pressing a car’s brakes and accelerating instead,” Horvath said in a press release. “We were surprised to find that the neurons we thought were responsible for shutting down eating, were suddenly being activated and promoting hunger, even when you are full. It fools the brain’s central feeding system.”

Our brains produce their own cannabinoids, lipids that help control our appetite, mood, memory and pain reception. Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, produced in marijuana latches on to cannabinoid receptors in our brain, mimicking the same chemicals.

Horvath found that THC flips a switch in the mouse’s hypothalamus. Instead of producing the chemical that signals you’re full, suddenly neurons start telling the hypothalamus you’re hungry.

“Even if you just had dinner and you smoke the pot, all of a sudden these neurons that told you to stop eating become the drivers of hunger,” Horvath told NPR.

HOWEVER, this is a very interesting article. It's still up for debate, but both sides hold their own decently well. I just really wanted to clear that up that it's not definite. It's one of those things where, I don't want people to get the impression that they can live unhealthy lives or get old af and have a foolproof way to keep their metabolism speed up with a substance like marijuana, only to be disappointed.

But yeah. If you're trying edibles for the first time, you're in for a good time. I take them as often as I can and they give you a different, mellow body high, as opposed to smoking it. It's way less of a head rush and lets you ease into it. I haven't done mushrooms in a hot minute though, I'd love to do them again soon!
Also shooms > acid, imo.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
sick of getting rejected for co codomol tablets =[ and i get a small amount of weed a day if im lucky so not much going on in my world.

sounds like im missing out =p

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
week off work bc im seein DAVID BYRNE LIVE, so im smokin weed in bed and listening to diana ross songs on youtube. probably gonna drop acid at some point this week too, so stay tuned loyal listeners

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I guess thats only sort of tangentially related to drugs, but the old thread was almost like a little micro community and I wouldnt mind if that were the case again

jrp

Banned deucer.
bought xanax, don't even have them yet and im already regretting it

on a positive note i will probably be doing ket for the first time next week, looking forward to that
ket is a real good time. You feel floaty as fuck. I've only done it a handful of times, but if you can smoke while you're doing it you'll feel real good

Reactions: p2

p2

Banned deucer.
popped .5mg xans last night to try and ease into it, i didn't really feel much though, i felt a bit more relaxed and eventually fell asleep so that's that. woke up about 30 minutes ago feeling very refreshed though, gonna experiment with higher doses at a later date tho. probably could have redosed last night but what's done is done ig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)