Pokémon Dubwool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulletproof is illegal, correct? I would say that Assault Vest would be this thing's best shot at surviving the moves that Bulletproof would have helped with. Fluffy is a really good ability anyway, I would say stick to what you're good at (Phys. tanking) and leave the Aura Spheres to anything else on your team.

I also believe that special Fighting coverage is going to be fairly rare this gen, with almost all physical attackers wanting that max move. Not only are fighting moves suboptimal on a dynamaxed special attacker, but a team is likely to have other Pokemon running Fighting coverage which will cause teams to run different coverage moves on their other teammates.
IIRC the only pokemon with HAs unavailable are Fossils and Starters

IIRC the only pokemon with HAs unavailable are Fossils and Starters
even then, why would you use anything other then Fluffy? It covers a lot more stuff, and Aura sphere is so uncommon.

Thinking about it, I think wild charge may be the best coverage move if you are only using 2 attacks. you get walled by a lot less, only Runeigus and Golurk, with just taking less damage from the ghost grass lines and a few others. Normal/Fighting hits no ghosts, and Psychic/Fighting gets walled by all Psychic and Fairy types. If only it got Play Rough or iron Head it would have some better coverage options.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Bulletproof is illegal, correct? I would say that Assault Vest would be this thing's best shot at surviving the moves that Bulletproof would have helped with. Fluffy is a really good ability anyway, I would say stick to what you're good at (Phys. tanking) and leave the Aura Spheres to anything else on your team.

I also believe that special Fighting coverage is going to be fairly rare this gen, with almost all physical attackers wanting that max move. Not only are fighting moves suboptimal on a dynamaxed special attacker, but a team is likely to have other Pokemon running Fighting coverage which will cause teams to run different coverage moves on their other teammates.
I hope it gets that Bulleproof against Focus Blast and other ball and bomb moves, would deserve it.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I hope it gets that Bulleproof against Focus Blast and other ball and bomb moves, would deserve it.
Dubwool can be caught with HA from raid battles, so Bulletproof is available.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Weird, I thought that wasn't the case. Guess there's no choice but to use Fluffy.

Is there a reason to run Cotton Guard over SD? Unless I am missing something surely you are much more effective with with Swords Dance:

Dubwool @ Silk Scarf/ Life Orb/ Something
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp. Def
Adamant Nature
- Double Edge/ Body Slam
- Swords Dance
- Wild Charge / Zen Headbutt/ Body Press
- [second coverage move]/ Agility

It's clearly going to be a low-tier mon so the coverage options would depend on how those tiers shape up. Agility is fun for double dance potential but also because its movepool is kinda shallow so you gotta stick something there. Versus running Cotton guard:

Running impish max Def gives you 328 Def, 820 at +3.

Running adamant max Atk gives you 284 Atk, 568 at +2, you are getting 50% more damage on top of that for STAB giving you an effective 852 Atk on your main move.

...So if you are using Body Slam you are dealing more damage at +2 atk than you are with Body Press at +3 Def. Not to mention that you can boost that by a further 50% by using the 120 BP Double Edge. On top of that, you actually get to boost the power of your coverage moves, and even on Swords Dance sets you can make some use of Body Press due to a high natural defence.

Sure you miss out on the defense boost, but do you really need it? It's got pretty good bulk and Fluffy as is so it can already do a decent job at tanking physical attackers.

Responded within the quote.

Is there a reason to run Cotton Guard over SD? Unless I am missing something surely you are much more effective with with Swords Dance:

Dubwool @ Silk Scarf/ Life Orb/ Something
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp. Def
Adamant Nature
- Double Edge/ Body Slam
- Swords Dance
- Wild Charge / Zen Headbutt/ Body Press
- [second coverage move]/ Agility

It's clearly going to be a low-tier mon so the coverage options would depend on how those tiers shape up. Agility is fun for double dance potential but also because its movepool is kinda shallow so you gotta stick something there. Versus running Cotton guard:

Agreed.

Running impish max Def gives you 328 Def, 820 at +3.

Running adamant max Atk gives you 284 Atk, 568 at +2, you are getting 50% more damage on top of that for STAB giving you an effective 852 Atk on your main move.

The math here is indeed correct, and a set as such may be viable in lower tiers. I will look into this after work.

...So if you are using Body Slam you are dealing more damage at +2 atk than you are with Body Press at +3 Def. Not to mention that you can boost that by a further 50% by using the 120 BP Double Edge. On top of that, you actually get to boost the power of your coverage moves, and even on Swords Dance sets you can make some use of Body Press due to a high natural defence.

This would only apply with Body Slam or Double Edge. In all other cases except quad resist and immunity, Body Press is superior. Body Press even removes the Bulky Rock/Steel Types that Normal type attacks cannot dent.

Sure you miss out on the defense boost, but do you really need it? It's got pretty good bulk and Fluffy as is so it can already do a decent job at tanking physical attackers.

Dubwool is likely going to be useful as a choice for anti setup as with a single Cotton Guard it is legitimately more bulky physically than Hippowdon who does a fabulous job at being a Physical wall as it has done since 4th generation. The only downside is Hippowdon has Slack Off and Dubwool relies on Rest, which is a big disadvantage.
IMO, While I am convinced that Dubwool is massively underwhelming as a choice for OU, the best shot at OU Dubwool has is to Boost your defense and take as little as possible from physical attacks. Dubwool doesn't have lots of hp so recoil from double edge ends up hurting you in the long run. a difference of 32 points of attack is fairly measly at those points, especially when the only mons you're really going to be attacking with Wild Charge aren't OHKO'd cleanly without a boost (namely dynamax gyarados who usually has quite a bit of hp to take recoil from, in some cases a fatal amount).

In lower teirs like UU many Pokemon can't break through physically defensive fluffy Dubwool without at least 2 physical hits, in some cases 3+ which means a CroCune style set as listed will be your best bet, because it capitalizes on his extreme physical bulk as well as boosting his offensive prowess with body press. Sufficiently weakened teams and those lacking a quad fighting resist or immunity will, in many cases be unable to even catch a stalemate with Dubwool if they don't lose to it outright.

I've been using this thing on and off. The only real way it works for me is to run Fluffy with Cotton Guard and Body Press.

Fluffly basically gives you free reign to swap in on any un-boosted non-fighting/fire physical attack whenever you feel like it. After a Cotton Guard (or both if you're lucky, since you only need two to max out your defense buff) you'll start getting some insane damage off Body Press. I flip-flop between Protect/Leftovers and a Life Orb. Protect/Leftovers can help you buy some much-needed HP against physical attackers, but you get more damage otherwise. I preferred the HP, as the damage was already pretty intense - I didn't find myself in a situation where the Life Orb would have bought me a KO earlier.

No matter what your build is you're going to get walled by Ghosts, and you kinda have to accept that. Even options that could hit Ghosts barely phase them, but that might be due to my build putting EVs in HP/Def/Speed rather than Atk, with a Nature that doesn't boost Atk. I might check out how it performs without the investment so slanted towards Body Press.

If it helps, I also run it with Sticky Web support, as it has just enough speed to outpace some bulkier Pokemon that it doesn't want to get hit by. Being able to hit some of the Special Attackers before they can get a swing in goes a long way in keeping Dubwool around.

It isn't going to settle in OU, but I think it'll carve itself a niche in UU. It isn't amazing, but when it works it can seriously break down unprepared teams.

I've been using this thing on and off. The only real way it works for me is to run Fluffy with Cotton Guard and Body Press.

Fluffly basically gives you free reign to swap in on any un-boosted non-fighting/fire physical attack whenever you feel like it. After a Cotton Guard (or both if you're lucky, since you only need two to max out your defense buff) you'll start getting some insane damage off Body Press. I flip-flop between Protect/Leftovers and a Life Orb. Protect/Leftovers can help you buy some much-needed HP against physical attackers, but you get more damage otherwise. I preferred the HP, as the damage was already pretty intense - I didn't find myself in a situation where the Life Orb would have bought me a KO earlier.

No matter what your build is you're going to get walled by Ghosts, and you kinda have to accept that. Even options that could hit Ghosts barely phase them, but that might be due to my build putting EVs in HP/Def/Speed rather than Atk, with a Nature that doesn't boost Atk. I might check out how it performs without the investment so slanted towards Body Press.

If it helps, I also run it with Sticky Web support, as it has just enough speed to outpace some bulkier Pokemon that it doesn't want to get hit by. Being able to hit some of the Special Attackers before they can get a swing in goes a long way in keeping Dubwool around.

It isn't going to settle in OU, but I think it'll carve itself a niche in UU. It isn't amazing, but when it works it can seriously break down unprepared teams.
90 base attack means it hits about as hard as Swellow or Ninjask

That's only half-right. 90 Base Attack means it has the same Attack stat as Ninjask or Swellow, but the options it would use to attack a Ghost type would by and large lack a Super Effect damage bonus, as well as lack STAB. So Dubwool isn't going to match their damage output, and Normal - what it gets STAB from - cannot hit for Super Effective and is resisted by Steel and Rock, the former of which I've found to be fairly common.

In comparison, Cotton Guard boosted Body Press can deal crippling damage to very many targets. The Cotton Guard build gives Dubwool more bulk and firepower, which I find more appealing. The thing is, no matter how you cut it Dubwool will either not hit especially hard and not be especially bulky, or be somewhat impressively bulky vs physical attackers and have the ability to potentially batter other Pokemon at the expense of being terrified of Ghosts. Neither option is perfect, but then again nobody is really saying this particular Pokemon is without a flaw.

Hello everyone.
This is a moveset i worked out:

Offensive Dubwool

- Body Press
- Megakick
- Cotton Guard
- Guard Swap

- Silk Scarf as the instrument
- Fluffy as the ability
- 252 def. 252 atk. 4 sp.def / 252 def. 252 sp.def 4 atk
- Natures: Impish / Adamant

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
This is a moveset i worked out:

Offensive Dubwool

- Body Press
- Megakick
- Cotton Guard
- Guard Swap

- Silk Scarf as the instrument
- Fluffy as the ability
- 252 def. 252 atk. 4 sp.def / 252 def. 252 sp.def 4 atk
- Natures: Impish / Adamant
Its a poorly constructed set at best. Poor item choice, An move that counter acts your boosting move, Terrible ev spread and a move that hits less often than double edge but at the same power with no chance for status, etc? Nah.

a 20% boost to mega kick as the only benefit from an item could be handled better as a life orb for more power to both body press and body slam/double edge, a sitrus berry, or leftovers for more healing.

Mega kick is a competitively worthless move

Guard swap means you transfer any boosts you accrue to the opposing pokemon. Dubwool is a wall. What good can this possibly do?

EV spread boosting both attack and defense is dumb. pick offense or defense and go with it. A defensive spread boosting def and sp. def is worthless on anything that doesn't have gobs of hp like wobbuffet or chansey/blissey, especially since dubwool needs all the hp it can get.

Last edited:
k got it, i thaught u could use guard swap to remove the stats change to your foe, not to use it like a suicide move, but i see ur point.
since 'm fairly new i accept ur critics and will use them in future, i thaught it was good, but i was wrong.

Man, I have been sleeping. Saw this shit kick ass on pokéaims vid and used his team, and this boy put in the damn work!

Dubwool @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Put some Tspikes up, eliminate checks and cotton guard thy up! It can take some damn hits with +6 and really won me quite a bit of games. Could just be joey's god-tier team tho. Suspect this thing to be dropping to RU and then being banned to RUBL like Reuniclus, because I doubt anything will break this fat sheep down there.

It is just such a unique win-condition for bulky teams, surely type of wincon pokémon we haven't seen so far. In UU right now, Drapion is a nice partner because of Tspikes and checking Gengar, which absorbs Tspikes and is immune to Body Press.

Man, I have been sleeping. Saw this shit kick ass on pokéaims vid and used his team, and this boy put in the damn work!

Dubwool @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Put some Tspikes up, eliminate checks and cotton guard thy up! It can take some damn hits with +6 and really won me quite a bit of games. Could just be joey's god-tier team tho. Suspect this thing to be dropping to RU and then being banned to RUBL like Reuniclus, because I doubt anything will break this fat sheep down there.

It is just such a unique win-condition for bulky teams, surely type of wincon pokémon we haven't seen so far. In UU right now, Drapion is a nice partner because of Tspikes and checking Gengar, which absorbs Tspikes and is immune to Body Press.
Literally the second set. Rocky Helmet has better use on ferrothorn imo. I suggest levtovers over rocky helmet in the vast majority of cases simply because rocky helmet is situational and predominantly deters physical attackers. Dubwool has such a massive amount of bulk that it handles almost any unboosted physical attack with ease after a single Cotton Guard. FWIW, critical hits are really the bane of this duder's existance.

Furthermore careful is less beneficial overall than calm and any Dubwool using this set wants 0IV in attack because it provides a small buffer against confusion and reduces foul play damage. Body press calculates damage off of your defense anyway so lowering your Attack doesn't prove to be a detriment in any way.

In the Team Options Department I have found that for any set involving rest you should absolutely have Toxic Spikes support and Aromatherapy makes a great addition as well.

Last edited:
Literally the second set. Rocky Helmet has better use on ferrothorn imo. I suggest levtovers over rocky helmet in the vast majority of cases simply because rocky helmet is situational and predominantly deters physical attackers. Dubwool has such a massive amount of bulk that it handles almost any unboosted physical attack with ease after a single Cotton Guard. FWIW, critical hits are really the bane of this duder's existance.

Furthermore careful is less beneficial overall than calm and any Dubwool using this set wants 0IV in attack because it provides a small buffer against confusion and reduces foul play damage. Body press calculates damage off of your defense anyway so lowering your Attack doesn't prove to be a detriment in any way.

In the Team Options Department I have found that for any set involving rest you should absolutely have Toxic Spikes support and Aromatherapy makes a great addition as well.
Kinda funny you pointed out that calm thing, because I was aware of that, I just didn’t wanna change it up because this is the set Joey used. Everything you Saïd AND it’s EZ’ier to wear down jelli after tspikes because Ssap will heal less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)