Pokémon Durant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Durant  sprite from X & Y

Durant

1574021737170.png

Base Stats: HP: 58 | Atk: 109 | Def: 112 | SpA: 48 | SpD: 48 | Spe: 109
Abilities: Swarm (1) | Hustle (2) | Truant (H)

Level Up Moves:
- [01] Fury Cutter
- [01] Sand Attack
- [04] Vise Grip
- [08] Metal Claw
- [12] Beat Up
- [16] Bug Bite
- [20] Bite
- [24] Agility
- [28] Dig
- [32] X-Scissor
- [36] Crunch
- [40] Metal Sound
- [44] Iron Head
- [48] Entrainment
- [52] Iron Defense
- [56] Guillotine

Egg Moves:
- Struggle Bug
- First Impression
- Metal Burst
- Infestation
- Flail

TMs:
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM14] Thunder Wave
- [TM15] Dig
- [TM16] Screech
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM22] Rock Slide
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM31] Attract
- [TM32] Sandstorm
- [TM37] Beat Up
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM41] Helping Hand
- [TM48] Rock Tomb
- [TM65] Shadow Claw
- [TM66] Thunder Fang
- [TM76] Round
- [TM79] Retaliate
- [TM98] Stomping Tantrum

TRs:
- [TR12] Agility
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR29] Baton Pass
- [TR32] Crunch
- [TR39] Superpower
- [TR46] Iron Defense
- [TR60] X-Scissor
- [TR65] Energy Ball
- [TR70] Flash Cannon
[TR74] Iron Head
[TR75] Stone Edge

Notable Moves:
-Crunch
-First Impression
-Iron Head
-Rock Slide
-Shadow Claw
-Superpower
-Stomping Tantrum
-Thunder Fang
-X-Scissor

Currently Unavailable Moves:
-Hone Claws
-Aerial Ace

Analysis:

Pros:
-Resistance to Steel, Fairy, Dragon, Grass, Bug, Psychic, Ice, and Normal moves, as well as immune to Poison
-Great Speed Tier with a decent Attack stat
-Priority STAB in First Impression
-Decent coverage with Steel, Bug, Rock, Dark, Fighting, and Ground moves

Cons:
-Suffers from 4MSS
-Horrible HP and Sp. Def stats
-Walled by bulky Water Types such as Toxapex and Quagsire, as well as Corviknight
-4X weak to Fire Moves
-It's best ability, Hustle, can lose games at crucial moments due to misses

Potential Movesets:

EDIT:

Durant @ Life Orb (from rubberducky402)
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Iron Head
- Crunch/Superpower
- Superpower/Rock Slide/Thunder Fang

Durant's best set by far. First Impression dents most mons that resist Bug and nearly KOs everything else, making it easy to pick off weakened Pokemon. Iron Head is reliable STAB, while Crunch allows you to hit defensive Ghosts such as Corsola-G, Jellicent, and Runerigus. The last slot depends on what coverage you want to run. Superpower hits hard (and lets you get past Ferrothorn and Excadrill in one turn) but lowers your chances of surviving the next turn, Rock Slide hits Fire and Flying types that usually wall Durant, and Thunder Fang helps you deal with Gyarados and Toxapex, among other bulky Water types.

-Revenge Killer

Durant @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- First Impression
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide/Stomping Tantrum/Superpower

This set allows you to outspeed and potentially OHKO Scarf Hydregion, Scarf Darmanitan-G, Polteagiest after 1 Shell Smash, and Timid Specs Dragapult, provided you don't miss or they aren't Dynamaxed. There's really no need to run more speed as you won't be outspeeding anything that you have a potential to revenge kill, and Durant needs the HP. While First Impression is a nice priority move, it makes you potential set-up fodder. Rock Slide and Stomping Tantrum hit Flying and Steel types such as Gyarados and Excadrill hard.

-Dynamax Sweeper

Durant @ Life Orb/Assault Vest/Figy Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Crunch/X-Scissor/First Impression/Stomping Tantrum

Durant shouldn't be your first, second, or maybe even third choice to Dynamax. However, due to Dynamax moves being unable to miss, combined with its decent Speed and Hustle, Durant can have some potential to set-up and at least poke a few holes in the opposing team. Max Knuckle and Max Steelspike boost your Atk and Def respectively, while Max Rockfall sets up Sand for another teammate, which will probably be ready to switch in at the end of the last Dynamax turn. Max Quake boosts your Sp. Def, which is appreciated, but might not be worth it to lose coverage from Crunch or STAB from First Impression/X-Scissor. The item slot is really your call. Life Orb gives you a much needed boost to take out most Pokemon but at the cost of killing you before you accrue enough boosts. Figy Berry and the like are appreciated HP recovery, but since the nerf to 33% recovery and Durant's already low HP they might not be worth running. Assault Vest could help you survive just enough special attacks to get to a good amount of boosts, but it's mostly a gimmick.

Other Options:

Hone Claws is a crucial move for Durant, which will not be available till HOME releases. With HOME's release, Durant also gets Aerial Ace, giving it access to Max Airstream.

Last edited:
Like other Pokémon with Hustle, Durant is greatly benefited by Dynamaxing as it gets the damage boost without misses.

I can see it being effective on lower tiers, but in OU there are better, self-sufficient Dynamax sweepers that outclass Durant, but maybe things change for when HOME is released. Aerial Ace's viability for a Dynamax set means another problem for Durant: 4MSS.

Durant @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Crunch

This is the best and only viable Durant set at the moment. Choice Scarf is trash because everything you need to outpace is OHKO’d by a Life Orb First Impression. I’m not sure why your Life Orb set doesn’t even have First Impression lmao but yea this is the set to use. Superpower and Crunch are mandatory coverage moves at the moment. Ferrothorn and Aegislash are way too common. Crunch is also really useful for Jellicent and Corsola.

Jolly nature is honestly unnecessary. Everything that you outspeed using that speed tier either doesn’t exist anymore or gets nailed by First Impression (Charizard is trash). Adamant nature is just superior in every way because of the extra power it brings to your priority and your coverage.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Okay but you’ll be switching out afterwards because you’ll be locked into a move you can’t use... unless you’re Dynamaxing?
Choice Band Golisopod was the preferred set last gen- Even though you’re locking into a move that only works turn 1, that’s really the only turn you need it to work on and you’d likely be forced out the next turn regardless.
I would argue Scarf Durant is a poor set, but I don’t think it’s necessarily dumb to use First Impression on it

I think Thunder Fang is the best coverage option for the last slot on Life Orb by far, you hit really prominent mons in Toxapex, Corviknight and Gyarados. Like Crunch it hits Jelli too and Corsola is already pressured by Iron Head, Aegis is the only issue but it still takes a chunk because Durant has obnoxious power, and dmax Tfang blows through it and King's Shield.

Overall this thing is really slept on. Insanely strong priority, good speed and typing with decent phys bulk and also good breaking power, potentially pushed even further with Dynamax.

Also yeah Scarf is pointless when you have access to base 109 Hustle First Impression lol.

Honestly I think dropping Crunch and adding First Impression as well as Thunder Fang is the go-to. Durant has a lot of options for coverage. I don't think you'd be making a mistake running Crunch or even X-Scissor, but Thunder Fang checks a lot of the common nuisances that hang out in OU. Without Dynamax, Drurant is still exceptionally powerful as a revenge killer but Dynamax is where it truly shines.

Honestly I think dropping Crunch and adding First Impression as well as Thunder Fang is the go-to. Durant has a lot of options for coverage. I don't think you'd be making a mistake running Crunch or even X-Scissor, but Thunder Fang checks a lot of the common nuisances that hang out in OU. Without Dynamax, Drurant is still exceptionally powerful as a revenge killer but Dynamax is where it truly shines.
First Impression is a big reason that Durant is more viable and it absolutely should be run. Priority is priority, and Hustle-boosted STAB base 90 Priority coming off of good Attack is kinda nutty. Helps check Darm too.

Thunderfang also hits Jellicent, Iron Head hits Corsola with a relevant punch behind it and Thunderfang also targets Corviknight and Gyarados (/Pelipper). Crunch essentially only really hits Aegislash and Dynamax (as long as its available) Durant can overwhelm Aegi with the added bulk, chip (it hasnt got recovery in contrast to corviknight) and the terrain boost

its probably unreliable but blunder policy hustle might add a benefit to missing
The problem with Blunder Policy is that Durant already very fast. Raising speed even more isn't really going to add a lot especially when one of your signature moves in the set gives you priority anyway. It's better to bump up that attack with a Life Orb for a really good chance at a OHKO.

The problem with Blunder Policy is that Durant already very fast. Raising speed even more isn't really going to add a lot especially when one of your signature moves in the set gives you priority anyway. It's better to bump up that attack with a Life Orb for a really good chance at a OHKO.
true didnt think of that

Did some testing over the weekend with Durant and edited the first post accordingly.

Life Orb Adamant is the best set for Durant by far, though I found it suffering from 4MSS alot. You would really want to run First Impression/Iron Head/Superpower/Crunch/Thunder Fang at various points. I tested Blunder Policy but found it to be too unreliable; if you miss a move you're unlikely to survive long enough to take advantage of your speed. In terms of teambuilding, Durant appreciates members that can set hazards and status that make it easier for it to clean up with First Impression. The mons that I had the most trouble with were Corviknight and Cinderace, the former because I couldn't break it, and the latter because it outspeds and KOs with Pyro Ball and flips hazards with Court Change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)