Dusknoir (DROPPED)

[OVERVIEW]

* Good defenses and solid defensive typing
* Good pick on hazard-stacking teams for its ability to not only block Rapid Spin, but also check Claydol and Hitmonchan
* Faces immense competition from Jellicent as an offensive spinblocker
* No reliable recovery means it is prone to being worn down easily
* Weak offensive STAB, doesn't hit very hard even with a Choice Band

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Shadow Sneak
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Band
ability: Frisk
nature: Adamant
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

*Shadow Sneak is a nice STAB priority move that can catch faster opponents off guard.
*Earthquake provides good neutral coverage with Shadow Sneak, allowing Dusknoir to hit Normal-types and Dark-types relatively hard.
*Ice Punch hits opponents like Dodrio that are immune to both Shadow Sneak and Earthquake.
*Trick allows Dusknoir to cripple bulky opponents by locking them into a single move.

Set Details
========

*Max Attack and Adamant nature with a Choice Band is self-explanatory.
*44 Speed EVs allow Dusknoir to outspeed base 50 speed Pokemon. The other EVs are placed in HP to maximize bulk.
*Frisk allows Dusknoir to scout out the opponent's item on the switch, giving the player a good idea as to what the set might be and whether it would be crippled by a Choice Band.

Usage Tips
========

*Rather than attempting to break past bulky opponents, try using Dusknoir's Shadow Sneak to pick off faster, weaker foes such as Haunter and Alolan Raichu.
*Earthquake should be your main attack against bulky foes, unless they are immune to it. In this case, your best bet will be to use Ice Punch.
*Frisk is useful for scouting the opponent's sets, so abuse switch-in opportunities as much as possible. If possible, try to bring Dusknoir in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch.
*As soon as your opponent brings in their spinner, switch to Dusknoir in order to block it.

Team Options
========

*Entry hazard setters such as Qwilfish help to wear down Dusknoir's checks and greatly appreciate its ability to block Rapid Spin.
*Mesprit and Jynx help to check Weezing, which can otherwise be a pain in the rear for Dusknoir to handle due to its bulk and Will-O-Wisp. Mesprit can also provide Healing Wish support to rid Dusknoir of any harmful status conditions.
*Gurdurr can absorb status for Dusknoir as well as threaten Dark-types such as Raticate-Alola and Absol.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

*A Tank set with a spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def, a Relaxed Nature, and Leftovers can be used, though Jellicent gives this set competition due to its better defensive typing, access to reliable recovery, better overall bulk and useful ability in Water Absorb. Dusknoir hits somewhat harder and has access to priority, however, which gives this set somewhat of a niche over Jellicent.
*Power-Up Punch can be used to boost Dusknoir's Attack and provides perfect neutral coverage with Shadow Sneak; however, it is very weak without a boost and the immediate power of Earthquake is generally preferred.
*Sucker Punch offers a stronger priority attack, but a Dusknoir locked into Sucker Punch is extremely easy to take advantage of, so it isn't recommended.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Status**: Getting burned makes Dusknoir basically useless, as a burned Dusknoir hits like a wet paper bag and is worn down much easier. Toxic also wears the Gripper Pokemon down much faster than a burn, though it can still deal some decent damage before fainting. Paralysis is not too big of an issue considering Dusknoir's already low Speed, but the chance of not being able to attack is still annoying.

**Dark-types**: Spiritomb and Persian-Alola have no trouble switching in on Dusknoir's attacks and 2HKOing it with Foul Play. The former is especially threatening since it can Pursuit trap Dusknoir, as well as nail it with Sucker Punch if it does stay in. While not many other Dark-types can switch in, Skuntank and Absol among others can Pursuit trap Dusknoir or KO it with their powerful STAB attacks.

**Weezing**: Basically the bane of Dusknoir's existence. It's completely immune to Earthquake, takes very little damage from Shadow Sneak or Ice Punch, can cripple Dusknoir with Will-O-Wisp, and commonly carries Black Sludge, so Trick is basically a trade-off. For an added annoyance, it can also set up Toxic Spikes to put Dusknoir on a timer when it switches in.

**Powerful Attacks**: While Dusknoir's defenses are impressive, certain attacks such as Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash are just too much for it to handle. Z-Moves in particular will often bring Dusknoir in range for an easy KO, as is the case with Swanna's Z-Hurricane and Lycanroc's Splintered Stormshards.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Mega-Pokebattlerz, 282306]]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:
To add on to above’s post, you’re missing a lot of key components that are necessary in an analysis. One of this biggest things that this analysis lacks is emphasis on your points. You need to ask yourself, “Why should the reader that I’m writing this to even consider to use this Pokémon?” You lack a lot of substance that is necessary to persuade your reader. Dusknoir is outclassed by most spinblockers, so what niches does Dusknoir have over the latter that makes it a Pokémon that’s of any worth using?

Another thing that I need to mention is that you’re listing a lot of information that should be very obvious to the reader if they have any sort of grasp on the metagame. Like why are you mentioning Status in Checks and Counters? Any person who knows even the simplest concepts of Pokémon (or just RPGs as a whole) knows that status is probably going to cripple something’s longevity. Powerful Attacks don’t need to mentioned either since anything can be beaten by just by nuking it with the right move. Stuff like, “Aggron’s Head Smash are just too much for it to handle,” should be taken account for in Team Options where you can discuss teammates that can check Aggron (who’s not even a Dusknoir switch-in judging by your set). You’re just handholding the reader who doesn’t want to read an essay on basic facts of a Pokémon that should be blatant by looking at its stats. They would rather want the information to be straight to the point. What you should be doing is helping the reader understand what isn’t obvious at a first glance. For example, a specific EV spread (you’re on the right track with this but what exactly is 212 EVs going to survive from), if the set has 2 attacks of the same typing, etc.

Finally, you should use Dusknoir in at least a few battles to have a live experience on how the Pokémon functions in practice. This gives you a far better experience vs possible answers to it. I’m fairly certain that a mod in the PU room will gladly let you battle them to test Dusknoir.

Sorry if I appeared to be rude but this analysis lacks so much information and substance that it just isn’t ready for a check just yet. You also should proofread the analysis too before you get a check because there’s also quite a bit of grammatical errors in here. But good luck to you in the meantime!

tl;dr: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ons-read-before-posting.3588426/#post-7893625

Last edited:
You know what, I'm just going to drop this. I don't have much experience with SM PU anyways and though I've used Dusknoir in quite a few battles, it just hasn't... done much. I'm sorry, I guees I'm just not cut out for writing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)