Dwebble** [QC: 3/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original analysis written by athleteandy1. This analysis, among others, had to be completed and submitted in a hurry for Smogon's new dex. The OP here has been fully changed to reflect QC's version of this, written by Goddess Briyella. Corkscrew has already QC checked this within the LC QC project and his changes have already been implemented.

Overview
########
- Threatening Shell Smash sweeper
- Sturdy + Berry Juice combination is very potent for sweeping
- Can function well as a hazard layer much like in BW

SturdyJuice Smash
########
name: SturdyJuice Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Stone Edge / Rock Blast
move 4: Earthquake / Knock Off
ability: Sturdy
item: Berry Juice
evs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

- Shell Smash is what makes Dwebble so threatening, as it makes it very powerful and very fast all in one turn
- X-Scissor is the obligatory STAB attack that deals considerable damage
- Stone Edge is the other STAB attack that is very strong but a bit inaccurate; Rock Blast can be used to override Focus Sash, Sturdy, and to potentially score more damage than Stone Edge, and it is more accurate but the amount of hits it gets per use are totally random
- Knock Off helps with removing items and is more important in that regard than it necessarily is for coverage; Earthquake is an alternative that rounds out coverage decently well with Dwebble's Rock-type STAB attack of choice, and is notably good for nailing Chinchou
-imo, EQ is more important than knock off, to get round steels, and at leasrt have a neutral move vs. fighters - dwebble is more of a late game sweeper therefore should be relying on the fact that its counters are already weakened. feel free to switch them back if you disagree, as Knock Off helps it function as an early game wall-breaker.

Set Details
========

- Berry Juice is the absolute best item option for Dwebble, as Sturdy guarantees a turn of survival in the vast majority of cases, and restores Dwebble to full health even if it with a move that normally knock it out, making Sturdy able to activate a second time in the process
- 15 Speed stat guarantees it to outspeed most Scarfers after a Shell Smash
- Attack is maxed out to provide Dwebble with the highest sweeping ability possible after setting up with Shell Smash
-NO HP EVs for 21 HP to fully heal after sturdy.

Usage Tips
========

- Dwebble can easily set up with Shell Smash against almost any blunt attacker in the tier; the only things that it has problems with are Fighting-types (mainly due to Knock Off), Steel-types, multi-hit moves (esp Rock Blast), Fake Out (breaks Sturdy), item removal, and the obvious status (burn, para, etc)
- Steel-types are easier to handle if Earthquake is included on the set, but Knock Off can be particularly helpful in breaking down walls better

Team Options
========

- Spritzee and Trubbish make good partners for helping Dwebble beat Fighting-types, as they resist both of Dwebble's STABs and thus can be very problematic. Trubbish can also set up spikes which Dwebble likes.
- Chinchou can help with tanking the Water- and Steel-type attacks aimed at Dwebble, and is particularly useful for keeping Magnemite at bay; Fire- or Fighting-type partners are good for threatening Steel-types as well, particularly Pawniard and Ferroseed
- Dwebble appreciates hazard removal support (Defog or Rapid Spin) if it is to be used in a position other than as a lead, as hazards break its Sturdy and can ruin its SturdyJuice Smash strategy

Hazard Layer
########
name: Hazard Layer
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Rock Blast
move 4: Knock Off
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

- Stealth Rock breaks Focus Sash and Sturdy on all enemies that don't have Magic Guard, and assists its team with securing KOs
- Spikes is stackable for up to 3 layers and is ideal after Stealth Rock is put down or if the opponent has no Ground immunities, also assists its team with securing KOs
- Rock Blast is the optimal choice as a STAB move for this set, as it discourages setup sweepers, Substitute users, and opposing Sturdy/Focus Sash carriers from setting up on Dwebble
- Knock Off serves the same purpose in a hazard layer set for Dwebble as it did last generation, but is now notably stronger and can actually hurt things, making this move even more viable than it once was on Dwebble's Lead set in BW LC

Set Details
========

- Berry Juice is the absolute best item option for Dwebble for the reasons described in the previous set, although it is used to get more hazards down in this case
- 16 Speed allows Dwebble to outspeed the majority of the tier and speed tie with much of it as well, giving it ample opportunities to get hazards down
-Again, no investment in HP because it needs 21 HP to activate sturdy again.

Usage Tips
========

- A free turn to lay hazards can be gathered by forcing a switch due to the opponent assuming Dwebble is running its SturdyJuice Smash set; this can be bluffed to rack up more hazards and assist more and more with KOs later
-using it as a lead almost guarantees you getting up at least 1 layer of hazards, unless you're facing a taunt user
- Misdreavus is no longer a safe switch-in now that Knock Off has been buffed
- Try to keep Dwebble far away from Fighting-types, especially ones that run Drain Punch and Knock Off

Team Options
========

- Teammates that can prevent hazard removal are ideal, as they defeat this set's entire purpose; Ghost-types like Misdreavus block Rapid Spin and Prankster Taunt prevents Defog from being used
- Defiant Pawniard makes a good teammate that can severely punish an opposing Defog user for trying to get rid of Dwebble's hazards, allowing Pawniard a hefty +2 Attack on the switch-in
- Water-types - such as chinchou - cover Dwebble's only two weaknesses (Water and Steel) and are ideal partners for tanking those kinds of attacks that might threaten it
-something to switch into Mienfoo, particularly Taunt variants, are appreciated. Larvesta, and Ponyta can threaten with a burn as it fake outs, and Spritzee doesn't care about taunt.

Other Options
########

- Aerial Ace hits the Fighting-types that wall both of Dwebble's STABs but is decisively on the weak side and is additionally not useful at all outside of that
- Poison Jab is a nice surprise for the Fairy-types that wall Dwebble's X-Scissor, though it's hard to find a moveslot for it
- Rock Slide is an option over Rock Blast that has a more controllable damage range than Rock Blast and has the same accuracy, though Rock Blast is generally a better option
- Flail can be used with Shell Smash and Sturdy to deal insane damage after being taken to 1 HP, but the amount of priority users in the tier make this a bad idea more often than not, and Berry Juice is too good not to use
- Counter can be used to surprise the Fighting-types that normally have little to fear from Dwebble (as well as other physically inclined foes), and can work well with Sturdy, but it's hard to find room on a set for this option

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types**: Scraggy, Mienfoo, Timburr, Meditite, etc (many carry Knock Off also)

**Steel-types**: Pawniard, Magnemite, Ferroseed

**Burn status**: Will-O-Wisp, Scald users

**Prankster paralysis**: Murkrow, Purrloin, especially Cottonee

**Trick/Switcheroo**: Dwebble absolutely hates being deprived of its Berry Juice but it hates even more to have it replaced with a crippling item that renders it useless, such as a Choice item or Flame Orb

**Taunt users**: Taunt users, such as Mienfoo or Misdreavus, can prevent Dwebble using Shell Smash or setting up hazards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I strongly believe Knock Off should be mentioned on the hazard set. Knock Off is great for crippling a ton of Pokemon that dwebble would be absolutely unable to touch otherwise and is a solid move in general. In fact, I would argue that Knock Off is second in importance only to Stealth Rock because you can immediately make an impact by getting rid of Mienfoo's Eviolite so Scraggy can sweep or something. It also beats Taunt Misdreavus and the like. I know every Dwebble I run carries Knock Off; it is far more detrimental than a coverage move like X-Scissor or Earthquake to almost every Pokemon commonly used to combat Dwebble (Mienfoo, Misdreavus, Meditite, etc) because the damage dealt is permanent.
Counter is another move I think deserves mention. Counter + Berry Juice beats a lot of Knock Off users that people often lead with to deal with Dwebble; often, it's something crucial, such as Pawniard, which may have far more of an impact on the average game than Stealth Rock alone. Consider slashing Counter in one of the last two slots, perhaps? It's not as vital as Stealth Rock or Knock Off, but it can pave the way for some hilarious scenarios.

I know this is WIP, but the first set should look like this:
Hazard Lead
########
name: Hazard Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Stealth Rock
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Rock Blast has better utility than Stone Edge, I wouldn't even bother slashing it. Knock Off has much better utility than the other moves on a Hazard set, since it lets you KO Missy, who can try to Taunt, Burn, set up a Nasty Plot, and more. Plus it does more to Fighting-types and other switch-ins by getting rid of their Eviolite. I slashed Adamant in since I'm pretty sure the extra power again helps with Missy.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I know this is WIP, but the first set should look like this:
Hazard Lead
########
name: Hazard Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Stealth Rock
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Rock Blast has better utility than Stone Edge, I wouldn't even bother slashing it. Knock Off has much better utility than the other moves on a Hazard set, since it lets you KO Missy, who can try to Taunt, Burn, set up a Nasty Plot, and more. Plus it does more to Fighting-types and other switch-ins by getting rid of their Eviolite. I slashed Adamant in since I'm pretty sure the extra power again helps with Missy.
Personally, I recommend slashing Counter in there and mentioning Protect in Set Details. Don't even bother with Adamant's slash IMO, maybe mention it in Set Details.

And in the Shell smash set, I recommend SS/Rock Blast or Stone Edge/X-Scissor/EQ. But, as you said, you're still working on it, athleteandy1. Feel free to PM me if you need help!

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The only Misdreavus set Adamant Dwebble does well against that Jolly Dwebble does not is a Taunt + Will-O-Wisp Eviolite set with offensive EVs, and I feel as if speed tying with all of very notable threats in Jolly Meditite, opposing Jolly Dwebble, Jolly Pawniard, and Jolly Bunnelby while outspeeding their neutral natured counterparts as well as Timid Magnemite, Jolly Dratini, Jolly Scraggy and Jolly Tyrunt in addition to speed typing with neutral natured Froakie, Archen, Natu, Drilbur, Houndour and Vulpix is far more useful than beating one set for one Pokemon, leaving a Jolly nature is the far superior option.

The only Misdreavus set Adamant Dwebble does well against that Jolly Dwebble does not is a Taunt + Will-O-Wisp Eviolite set with offensive EVs, and I feel as if speed tying with all of very notable threats in Jolly Meditite, opposing Jolly Dwebble, Jolly Pawniard, and Jolly Bunnelby while outspeeding their neutral natured counterparts as well as Timid Magnemite, Jolly Dratini, Jolly Scraggy and Jolly Tyrunt in addition to speed typing with neutral natured Froakie, Archen, Natu, Drilbur, Houndour and Vulpix is far more useful than beating one set for one Pokemon, leaving a Jolly nature is the far superior option.
Yeah, go ahead and take that off then. I had just seen it on site at some point and it thought it might be worth it for some reason.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
This Pokemon, as is the case with many others, was on a list of Pokemon that were high priority and needed to have completed skeletons for Smogon's new dex as soon as possible. As such, the OP of the thread has been fully edited to reflect the QC team's writeup of this Pokemon, as it will make things run a lot faster.

Thank you for understanding. :)

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
The writer has dropped this analysis and it has been picked up by another writer who has already posted a new thread for it, so I'll be locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)