E3 2012 Thread

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
castlevania was meh
luigis mansion looks pretty, depends on whether i have 40 dollars to piss away
epic mickey is a gba game with the ability to draw penises
paper mario looks sick and I might finally get into that series
kingdom hearts is like milking a dry cash cow imo
SCRIBBLENAUTS AAAAAA AAAAAA AAAAA YES YES YES
pkmn somewhat justifying the money i wasted on a 3ds so far
nintendo needs to stop letting 12 year olds in the design studio with that shitty video
nsmb2 confirms that nintendo is now 100% about money and not games
everything else looked bad or terrible

That was quite solid, no new surprises, but honestly there's plenty of awesome 3DS games coming so it's no big deal. I know Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario will quickly be making their way into my game catalogue.

NSMB2, honestly I'm getting kinda sick of that series, but I guess the coin rush seems pretty cool...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So we didn't get fire emblem.

Fuck NoA. No seriously, they deserve the maximum amount of fucks for not even ATTEMPTING to localize this game. A confirmation would have kept me going for a year at least. Seriously NoA do we have to start up ANOTHER petition? Operation Emblem... ugh.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
:|

I'm still mad, since NoA apparently didn't think it was good enough to even MENTION at E3, and it's likely we're going to get it in a year or 2. Don't get me wrong, i'm relieved, but i'm like a baby who was forcibly taken from his mother.

NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G NO TRI G

I guess Nintendo didn't say anything about it 'cause they didn't have a demo/video ready, but I don't see why they didn't at least mention it.

definitely a bit miffed at this too. Oh well, I'm sure we'll get it eventually...
More like when 3ds gets hacked and there's a workaround for region lock we'll import it like barbarians.

Seriously Capcom can lick my sack

Edit: @SgtWoodsy, yeah that's fine too. Capcom clearly hates american money anyway.

More like when 3ds gets hacked and there's a workaround for region lock we'll import it like barbarians.
More like when the 3DS gets hacked people will pirate it and work on some sort of translation patch.

Also ha ha at Nintendo forgetting to announce Fire Emblem.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Really, Ubisoft had a great conference but very shitty presentation. Watch Dogs looks amazing, Far Cry 3 looks good, couldn't care less about ACIII but I might end up getting it, ZombiU looks very cool, and it actually got the survival horror better than even Resident Evil

Nintendo's conference was extremely disappointing. I was expecting at least an announcement for Zelda 3DS and super smash, but nope. Paper Mario was interesting though, and the new golden plated mario looks fun, but that's it. The 3DS conference didn't really show anything we didn't know, just extended trailers for Castlevania, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion (which looks ORGASMIC <3) and Lego Batman 2 which looks.. Lego.

Haven't watched Sony's conference and won't because I don't care.

Only good thing about Microsoft's conference was third party games. Tomb Raider looks cool, and I'm liking the new Ghost Recon, but that's it.

So far, what I'm excited for and will definitely get are: Castlevania: Mirror of fate, luigi's mansion, Fire Emblem, Heroes of Ruin (which only got a 15 seconds trailer *facepalm), Far Cry 3, and Zone of the Enders HD.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
well. that was some bullshit.

except for ubisoft, surprisingly. i didn't expect much out of those guys but they have pumped out some stellar shit as of late. i cannot hold my excitement for RAYMAN: LEGENDS. it's a shame rayman 3ds got delayed to november!

watch dogs looked great blah blah the last of us looked great blah blah tomb raider looked like uncharted blah blah

i'm mostly disappointed in nintendo for giving us shit that was already revealed. nearly NOTHING new. ugh. let's hope zelda 3ds comes soon though.

Skimmed stuff mainly, nothing seemed particularly interesting. The main thing I'm excited for is the Dark Souls DLC but I'm still not sure whether I'll get that on PC or for the PS3 version, which I already own (not to mention it's in question whether the PC version will be worthwhile in the first place with all the rumors of GFWL and locked resolution/framerates and such).

Also Bioshock Infinite but that's not coming out until 2013 and afaik there was nothing on it at E3 anyways. Watch Dogs looked neat I guess and I'm mildly interested in The Last of Us, maybe the Skyrim DLC too, but that's about it.

I guess it stands to reason that things will be less exciting for awhile after how many good releases there were in 2011 though.

Wow, I felt like Roger Ebert watching the E3, everything was awful, Nintendo seriously stop doing those shitty New Super Mario Bros titles, they're bad, if you're out of ideas for Mario games, then do a new Mario World or something, or better yet, ask Square Enix for a new Mario RPG. The only thing that caught my interest was ZombiU, and at first I was like "oh wow, another Zombie game, so original!", but then "mmm, ok it looks promising"
Ubisoft wins this year, I guess I'm just not so interested in games anymore :/

Okay, now that E3 has come and gone, here are my overall thoughts on the various conferences and what was shown:

Eh, the actual conferences weren't that great, but a lot of great stuff did end up coming out of this E3 regardless:

-Scribblenauts Unlimited content-creation demo (as I mentioned elsewhere, this tool for creating your own custom-stuff in the game looks totally amazing. After playing Super Scribblenauts, I didn't think I could be surprised by this series anymore, but this blew me away and looks completely totally amazing. I can't wait to check it out. 5th Cell's definitely still got it):
http://kotaku.com/5916569/scribblen...-wii-u-game-by-a-kotaku-columnist-take-a-look

-Rayman Legends gameplay trailer (Rayman Origins was an excellent game and this game looks to be delivering more of that awesome platforming-fun in extremely well-drawn creative worlds and settings, so I'm definitely excited by this and hope Ubisoft and Ancel continue to do wonderful things with this series like this):
[youtube]HmVtkqypEBw[/youtube]

-Project P-100 gameplay demo, particularly from 7:00 forward (A big surprise, especially as it wasn't shown at Nintendo's actual E3 WiiU conference. At fist I wasn't really feeling it, but after watching this trailer, particularly from the point I mentioned, I felt very safely reassured that Platinum Game's definitely still has what makes them amazing and will definitely be checking this out):
[youtube]V9YjceHWgC8[/youtube]

-Watch Dogs gameplay demo (Another very positive surprise, this time from Ubisoft. The game's concept seems very interesting and novel and I can't wait to see more of it. There are so many different kinds of possibilities for this game and I hope it lives up to that hype):
[youtube]0dTOnyp58NM[/youtube]

-Paper Mario: Sticker Star gameplay (The sticker system seems like kind of an interesting system and seems to have been implemented well, from what Nintendo showed to us. But really, the biggest news about this game wasn't the sticker itself, but the announcement that the game won't have a traditional experience/leveling system and instead the way you'll become stronger in this game and increase your stats is by assisting NPC's in various ways, such as fixing the damage done to a Toad's flower-garden by replacing the damaged flowers with some stickers you found on your journey as shown in the gameplay demo.

I went into more detail here about why this probably isn't a problem/something to worry over what that means for the relevance of confronting enemies in the game, but suffice it to say that I'm very intrigued by the concept of an RPG that rewards you not for just thoughtlessly slaughtering wave after wave of opponents (which will just respawn anyway) for no other reason than they're in your path and give you experience, or in Paper Mario's case, Star Points that magically make you stronger, but rather for defeating particular individual and groups of enemies that are actually inconveniencing the lives of NPCs, with the stat-boost reward being for having actually bettered the game's world in some way.

Of course, that's a bit of speculation on my part I suppose, and having not played the game, I can't say anything of how well that system is actually implemented in the game, but I'm definitely intrigued by it and definitely want to see more of the game and how Nintendo utilizes that idea):
[youtube]_pSkacyGOmE[/youtube]

-Nintendo Land Donkey Kong & Luigi's Mansion mini-games (yeah, it's more casual fare, but these games still look like they could be a blast to me):
[youtube]GtQrrpMY7Y8[/youtube]
[youtube]58xf4V6mUbQ[/youtube]

It was mostly just the way these things were presented and how stuff like the Nintendo and Sony conferences were handled that was disappointing at this E3, IMO (well, that and the lack of new stuff, but I still have plenty of stuff to get this year anyway without having any new stuff added on top of that, so that's... really quite fine for now, IMO). The actual stuff they showed there was amazing, as what I posted shows, it's just the way they went about laying out their conferences and organizing it and dedicating the wrong about time to the wrong games that seems to have left kind of a bad taste in people's mouths (and mine as well at first, but that E3's come and gone and I've had time to mull all this stuff over and actually looked over everything they showed, it definitely wasn't for a lack of games or anything that made this E3 bad or disappointing, but just how the conferences were handled).

Naturally, that itself is kind of strange, since all of these companies have shown at prior E3's that they're great at actually showing they're stuff off the right ways and know how to handle it, but something just seems to have gone wrong there for pretty much everyone this year. Despite them all having great stuff to show, they spent too much time on stuff people didn't want to see much of, and too little on the stuff they actually did (like for instances, had Nintendo shown stuff like the latter half of that P-109 gameplay segment at E3 as what they closed their WiiU conference on instead of Nintendo Land, things probably would have went a bit more smoothly). It's like all of them just happened to get new marketing directors at the same time or something, with the new guys not knowing how to properly handle an E3, despite having all the content there and tools to make it amazing.

In any case though, the actual and new trailers and gameplay and such were great, so despite the conferences themselves being strangely uniformly weak, all-in-all, I'd have to say I'm pretty satisfied with what we got from this E3. More new stuff would have been preferred of course, but as I mentioned, just from what they showed I'll already have plenty of stuff to work through, so that's not too much of a concern, at least not yet (and by the time it will be, it will be the time for one of the other events anyway). So yeah, despite the conferences themselves being mostly unsatisfying and weirdly handled, I probably would have to say this E3 was alright. Could have been much, much better of course, very, very easily, but I'm satisfied for the time being.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What's this bullshit with people complaining about the WiiU's price ? I mean, $300-$350 (assumed by most people) IMO is very cheap..

And yes, I know the Wii was $250 when it first came out. But I'm assuming the WiiU would cost much more to make than the Wii..

...People are complaining about the Wii U's price? Don't really understand how that can be true, since the Wii U doesn't even have an announced release date/price yet--all we have are a few rumors here and there right now.

What's this bullshit with people complaining about the WiiU's price ? I mean, $300-$350 (assumed by most people) IMO is very cheap..

And yes, I know the Wii was $250 when it first came out. But I'm assuming the WiiU would cost much more to make than the Wii..
It's average for a next gen console.

The Wii U is not a next gen console. It is a this gen console.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How do you know? Do you know the price of multiple next gen consoles? Why would the starting price for the next generation be so much lower than for this one?

Talk of the Wii U very quickly led to talk of new consoles from Sony/Microsoft. They tend to release these as close together as they can to compete, hence generations. Or was this a stab at the Wii U's graphical power? Do you already know what the other major consoles next gen will be capable of?

That's silly. Was the Dreamcast a "next-next" gen console before it released. Was the PS2 a "last-gen" console when compared to the Xbox and Gamecube? Using power to determine generations doesn't make sense in any way. It's by release--the Wii U is the Wii's successor, ergo, it's a next-gen console. Anything else is illogical, especially considering the actual definition of generation:
the entire body of individuals born and living at about the same time: the postwar generation.
the term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth of parents and the birth of their offspring.
a group of individuals, most of whom are the same approximate age, having similar ideas, problems, attitudes, etc. Compare Beat Generation, Lost Generation.
a group of individuals belonging to a specific category at the same time: Chaplin belonged to the generation of silent-screen stars.
a single step in natural descent, as of human beings, animals, or plants.
It's in no way useful or practical to determine console generations any other way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)