Electabuzz [QC 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
First Analysis in like what, 2 years, surely I still remember how to do these, right???????????

Electabuzz

Overview
########

• 105 Base Speed gives it one of the highest base Speeds in the Tier
  • Combination of Bulk with Eviolite and Speed gives it an advantage over other Electric-types in the tier, which makes it bulky enough to check Pokemon such as Dodrio
  • Vital Spirit makes it immune to Sleep, so it's solid vs Pokemon such as Jumpluff
  • Other Electric types do Electabuzz's job better (Special Sets by Raichu, Physical/Mixed Sets by Zebstrika/Luxray)
  • 65/57/85 Defenses aren't the best, Eviolite doesn't completely fix this either.
  • No recovery means Hazards make Electabuzz cry, as it has no way of recovering the damage itself
  • Low damage output compared to other Electric-type Pokemon, especially since it lacks a boosting item

Eviolite
########
name: Eviolite
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
ability: Vital Spirit
item: Eviolite
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

• Only viable set, sets it apart from other Electric-types in the tier thanks to Eviolite
  • Pretty easy, straightforward set, does everything it needs to do to be useful
  • Volt Switch helps with momentum, can be used Offensively with U-Turn and hazards or just to get Electabuzz out of a sticky situation.
  • Thunderbolt deals consistent damage, strong STAB attack
  • Focus Blast helps with coverage, deals with Lickilicky, Piloswine, Golem, Probopass e.t.c, it's also Electabuzz's best attack against other Electric-types
  • Hidden Power Ice helps vs Grass-types such as Roselia, Tangela, and Torterra, as well as KOing Jumpluff
  • Psychic can be used as well, as the ability to hit Roselia and Throh is valued, however Electabuzz generally values the other four moves in this set more than Psychic.

Set Details
========

• Max Speed is used to utilize Electabuzz's base 105 Speed
  • Max Special Attack is used so Electabuzz actually does some damage
  • Timid Nature is used so Electabuzz can outspeed everything lower than Base 105, such as the Elemental Monkeys and Base 100s.
  • It also allows Electabuzz to speed tie with other Base 105's, such as Kadabra and Rapidash
  • Vital Spirit is used to Electabuzz is immune to Sleep, making it a solid switch for Jumpluff
  • Eviolite is the highlight of this set, granting Electabuzz a 50% Defense and Special Defense boost, setting it apart from the other Electric-types

Usage Tips
========

• Volt Switch is best early on whittling down the opponent with their initial switch ins to Electabuzz
  • Beware of Ground-types such as Piloswine and Golem, however, and try to hit them with a Focus Blast/Hidden Power Ice on the switch
  • With the defensive boosts from Eviolite, Electabuzz becomes deceptively bulky, with the bulk provided by Eviolite allowing Electabuzz to tank a resisted hit and retaliate.
  • Knock Off from Pokemon such as Armaldo, Lickilicky, and Pawniard screw Electabuzz over, so try to avoid it at all cost, Volt Switching out of danger when necessary
  • Be careful with how many hits you allow Electabuzz to take, as it's easy to wear down, only switch it in on weaker Pokemon Electabuzz can take advantage of.

Team Options
========

• Electabuzz works well on VoltTurn teams, as it works as a good pivot that can check Dodrio and Poliwrath well, so partners such as Pelipper and Probopass work well, as they make a VoltTurn combo as well as having Defog and Entry Hazards to help Electabuzz
  • No Recovery means Entry Hazards make Electabuzz cry, so a Defoger/Rapid Spinner would help immensely
  • Checks to Ground-types work well with Electabuzz, so Pokemon such as Poliwrath, Swanna, and Pelipper all work well.
  • Swanna and Pelipper also provide Defog, with Pelipper having U-Turn as well, plus they are also Flying-types so they can deal with Tangela and Roselia as well
  • Pokemon that deal with Grass-types, such Rapidash and Dodrio make great partners as well, as Grass-types easily tank Volt Switches and coverage moves
  • Pokemon that appreciate having Flying-types and Water-types dealt with make good teammates as well, so Throh, Ninetails, and other sweepers that like having Pokemon such as Poliwrath taken care of are ideal as well
  • <Dedicate a full paragraph to entry hazards setters, as entry hazards support, other than weakening Electabuzz's check and counters(if you mention that remember to list some), it also has a good synergy with conjunction with VoltTurn to pressure the opponent.>

Other Options
########

• Hidden Power Grass for Golem and Carbink, but Hidden Power Ice just does so much more
  • Signal Beam for Grass-types and Psychic-types, but like Psychic, Electabuzz doesn't have room for it
  • Static can be used as the ability over Vital Spirit, as having the ability to paralyze physical attackers can be very valuable, however Electabuzz loses it's immunity to Sleep
  • A bulkier set can be used as well, using moves such as Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Light Screen, however other Pokemon can pull off a set like this better.
  • Life Orb set, 4 Atk Life Orb Cross Chop 2HKO's 252/0 Lickilicky, other than that Raichu does this set better.
  • Physical Set, as Electabuzz does have a decent Physical Movepool with Wild Charge, Ice Punch, Fire Punch and Cross Chop, which can take some special tanks in the metagame by surprise, but otherwise isn't very good.

Checks & Counters
########

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Roselia, Regice, Grumpig, Stunfisk can all either stall it out or tank a hit and retaliate back hard.

**Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types, such as Roseila and Tangela also deal well with Electabuzz, while Hidden Power Ice does small damage back. Frailer Grass-types, such as Simisage, Leafeon, Victreebel, have threatening STAB moves. Jumpluff is an exception though, as you can OHKO it with Hidden Power Ice.

**Ground-types**: Golem and Piloswine and other Ground-types deal with Electabuzz well, especially since they're immune to Volt Switch, which slows the momentum of the team. Coverage moves can still nail them though.

**Knock Off**: Knock Off from Armaldo, Lickilicky, Pawniard mean Electabuzz loses Eviolite, which means it doesn't get the boosts

**Passive Damage**: Entry Hazards and Status such as Poison wear down Electabuzz, as it has no form of recovery

**Electric-types**: Other Electric-type Pokemon such as Raichu and Zebstrika match up well against Electabuzz as well, due to not only being immune but gaining stats from Electric-type attacks. Focus Blast can nail them on the switch however.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
- I think you should really emphasize that it is the combination of bulk AND Speed that makes Electabuzz worth using over Pokemon like Luxray (bulky along with Intimidate), Raichu (faster and better coverage), and Sap Sipper Zebstrika (switches in against all Grass moves, not just Sleep Powder).
- It's damage output is also rather disappointing with a neutral nature and lack of a boosting item.

Moves
========
- Focus Blast is also Electabuzz's best move against opposing Electric-types.

Usage Tips
========
- The spinner/defogger point is better in Team Options, it's not really a usage tip.
- Mention that Volt Switch is best used early in the game to wear down the opponent's initial switch in(s) to Electabuzz. Beware of Ground-types however, and try to hit them with a Focus Blast/Hidden Power Ice on the switch.
- Don't make it seem as if Eviolite makes Electabuzz bulky enough to switch into stuff like Dodrio and Chatot. Instead, say that the bulk provided by Eviolite allows Electabuzz to tank a resisted hit and retaliate.
-BTW 252 Atk Choice Band Dodrio Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Electabuzz: 234-276 (86 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
-252 SpA Choice Specs Chatot Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Electabuzz: 207-244 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO I wouldn't give people false hope that Electabuzz is that bulky, but it can tank resisted hits well enough.

Checks & Counters
########
- There's a new format for C&C, so adjust this section to match. Here's an example.
- Specially bulky Pokemon should be the first mention. Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Roselia, Regice, Grumpig, Stunfisk can all either stall it out or tank a hit and retaliate back hard.
- I actually would place Grass-types as the second mention, since even a super effective HP Ice tends to deal pitiful damage to many of them (Roselia, Gourgeist, Gogoat), and the frailer ones are threatening with their STAB moves (Simisage, Leafeon, Victreebel).
- Ground-types next, they stop Electabuzz from safely using Volt Switch, though they do have to watch out for its coverage moves.
- Knock Off next if you want, then hazards, then Electric-types (most cannot easily switch in though with the threat of Focus Blast).

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the delay, school stuff came up that I had to take care of, also slacked off and kept putting this off to Finally ready for QC, hopefully I didn't miss anything!

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This looks solid

Eviolite
########
Moves
========
Psychic deserves a mention here (no slash) as hitting throh + roselia is nice

Usage Tips
========
You have already mentioned the last point in TO and it doesnt say much how to use it so it should be removed
Say that it shouldnt switch in/take hits too many times as it is easy to wear down

Team Options
========
Mention pokes that deal with grass types as they easily tank volt switches/coverage

Other Options
########
There is not much point in mentioning lo/choice, as you said Raichu does it better
I wouldnt say zebstrika and luxray do physical better as the former go special, and the latter doesnt have speed. The main reason why they dont run physical is because its weaker + wild charge recoil
Mention static here as it annoys pokes like dodrio on switch in
Also talk about a more bulky set with moves like toxic

Checks & Counters
########
**Entry Hazards and Status**: You can probably just call this **Passive Damage**

TrollFreak implement and i will run through again and stamp, good job n_n

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, made the changes, removed the Choice option from Other Options, however I left Life Orb because having the ability to 2HKO Lickilicky and Regice with Cross Chop is pretty cool, not cool enough to warrant a set obviously, but I think it deserves a mention. Everything else was done though, if the QC team feels like Life Orb doesn't deserve a mention I can remove it completely.

Be sure to mention Jumpluff in grass types as it is huge that you beat it and the others just shrug hidden power off with no problem

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
solid analysis you got there TrollFreak
Overview
########
I would merge the second and third point as they basically say the same thing.
You already said that other Electric-types do Electabuzz's job better and also mentioned its niches, so I would remove the last point.

Eviolite
########
Good job on describing the set overall too, I rarely see this
Set Details
========
Max investment in Speed also allow Electabuzz to speed tie against other important 105 base speed Pokemon, mention some of them.

Usage Tips
========
When you mention Ground-types, list some of them.
You mention to avoid Knock Off, but how if someone doesn't know who usually carries it? Mention popular Knock Off users.

Team Options
========
Talk about on what playstyle Electabuzz should be played.
Dedicate a full paragraph to entry hazards setters, as entry hazards support, other than weakening Electabuzz's check and counters(if you mention that remember to list some), it also has a good synergy with conjunction with VoltTurn to pressure the opponent.

Checks & Counters
########
There too, when you talk about Knock Off, mention some Knock Off users.

Tag me when you implemented and I'll stamp.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for looking this over Raiza., made all the changes that you asked for, in Team Options I talked about the playstyle by moving the point about VoltTurn to the first bullet and expanding on it, and I moved the point about dedicating a full paragraph to entry hazards setters to the last bullet, as a reminder for when I start writing this up that I have to make a paragraph about it. Think that just about takes care of the changes, can expand more if needed however!

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
QC 2/3

tho I would've mentioned Pawniard as Knock Off user rather than one of these two

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks, for some reason I was drawing a blank on it for some reason, mentioned it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)