SS OU Electric Terrain + Rain Team

Hey, so I saw something once about adding terrains to a weather team, and I thought it would be fun to try to add electric terrain to a (relatively standard) rain team.

https://pokepast.es/79d2532c47b88667

Raichu-Alola @ Choice Specs
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rising Voltage
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot / Nasty Plot / Volt Switch

Raichu-Alola is a fun mon which I wanted to play around with, Rising Voltage grows to around 190(?) power with electric terrain and can kill mons with neutral damage as well as electric weaknesses, and Surge Surfer allows it to outspeed the entire unboosted tier. Psychic is a STAB coverage move, and Focus Blast and Grass Knot are coverage, with Grass Knot being especially effective against mons like Tyranitar. Nasty Plot is an option to boost Raichu's SpA to insane levels (if you can get it off), and Volt Switch is another option for bringing in a different mon and keeping momentum.

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Roost

Tapu Koko is an amazing pivot with a secondary job of setting up electric terrain for Raichu-Alola. Thunderbolt is its main STAB move, Dazzling Gleam is for coverage, Volt Switch is for pivoting, and Roost is for general longevity. Its item is Heavy Duty Boots in order to switch in even with Stealth Rock / Spikes up, and its EVs are built to maximize Volt Switch damage / speed.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane / Scald
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog / Knock Off

Pelipper is the first half of the second core on this team. Its main use is to set rain and get the hell out, because even with all of its EVs in HP and DEF, it can barely tank one physical hit. Hurricane or Scald can be ran in the first slot, but I prefer Hurricane due to its superior damage (even without STAB). Other than that, the set is pretty normal. Roost is for stayin alive, U-Turn is for getting out, and Defog is for when you can stay in a turn in good matchups. Knock Off could also be run.

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet / Psychic Fangs

Barraskewda is the second half of the rain core, with its goal being to deal massive damage with a Banded Flip Turn, and then get out because its defensive stats are like zero. Similar to Raichu-Alola, it can outspeed the entire unboosted tier in rain, and Choice Band helps to further its already massive attack stat. Liquidation is the main STAB move, Flip Turn is for good damage to close to everything, Close Combat is for coverage, and Aqua Jet is for killing low-hp pokemon with a priority move. Psychic Fangs can also be run for coverage.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Ferrothorn... is a mon for a spot where I didn't know what to put. Unlike Pelipper, it can tank special hits, and the Rocky Helmet/Iron Barbs combo means it does a great amount of damage to physical attackers as well. I mainly attempt to keep it alive so I can stall a little with it and Pelipper at the end, since they are usually the last two alive. Leech Seed is for stalling, Toxic is also for stalling and crippling setup sweepers, Gyro Ball does a surprisingly great amount of damage neutrally, and Protect is for stall.

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb / Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Seismitoad is the second mon where I didn't know what to put, so I put a physical attacker with more coverage. Liquidation is a normal STAB move, Earthquake is for coverage against mons like Regieleki, Sludge Bomb is a different move for mons like any of the Tapu's, and Ice Punch is, you guessed it, more coverage. It does really good damage to Lando-T especially.

This really hasn't been tested much and there is probably a LOT of things to improve on, but thank you in advance!

Last edited:
A team like this is fine and do-able. However, you have a glaring Rillaboom / Kartana weakness. Barraskewda + Seismitoad is a redundancy here. Replace Barraskewda with a bird such as Tornadus-T or Zapdos.

looks really nice , i think you can make koko and raichu have thunder too you know , as you are running a rain team , also i think a bird is needed too , as raikou mentioned , hugely weak to kart and rilla. you can also make ferro eject button

I'm confused by your Raichu set. It has choice specs and nasty plot, and it definitely needs the coverage. Surf can be very useful to help defeat Landorus. Surf is also rain boosted, so I don't see why not.

So there are some issues you would want to look into ,
Issue no 1 and prolly the biggest issue to this team : Rillaboom especially banded rillaboom which can destroy the entire team with CB Wood Hammer and grassy glide and for ferrothorn it has superpower
some important calcs :
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Ferrothorn: 302-356 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
I would suggest to use 252+ def ferro since the team is really weak to rillaboom and CS kartana .
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 248-294 (70.4 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola in Grassy Terrain: 412-486 (157.8 - 186.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (412, 417, 421, 427, 432, 436, 441, 447, 451, 456, 460, 466, 471, 475, 480, 486)
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 210-247 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper in Grassy Terrain: 294-346 (91 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
i would suggest using something like static zapdos which can live a choice banded wood hammer and itself threater rillaboom with hurricane
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 178-210 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 65.2% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 386-456 (113.1 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

defensive zapdos is better in my opinion.
you can swap seismitoad with zapdos and if you do so , you can even change pelipper's item to choice specs which is a very underrated item in my opinion, an example set could be:

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Level: 100
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 HP(/Speed)
- Weather Ball
- Hurricane
- U-turn

- Surf
notable calcs;
252 SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 160-189 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar in Rain: 163-193 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Clefable in Rain: 324-382 (82.2 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

coming back to zapdos , you can also use a set like
Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Roost

- Defog/weather ball
weather ball incase you use defog pelipper
moreover personally i would suggest using spikes or stealth rock on ferro over protect and even perhaps knock off or twave in place of toxic
I hope you find this helpful:psyglad:

Last edited:
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog/weather ball
Your Pelipper can be choice specs, but it should really just be defog for this team. Weather ball is an absolute must for zapdos on rain. You need it to nail things like landorus and heatran

Amstan

beebadoobea
is a Tiering Contributor
So there are some issues you would want to look into ,
Issue no 1 and prolly the biggest issue to this team : Rillaboom especially banded rillaboom which can destroy the entire team with CB Wood Hammer and grassy glide and for ferrothorn it has superpower
some important calcs :
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Ferrothorn: 302-356 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
I would suggest to use 252+ def ferro since the team is really weak to rillaboom and CS kartana .
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 248-294 (70.4 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola in Grassy Terrain: 412-486 (157.8 - 186.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (412, 417, 421, 427, 432, 436, 441, 447, 451, 456, 460, 466, 471, 475, 480, 486)
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 210-247 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper in Grassy Terrain: 294-346 (91 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
i would suggest using something like static zapdos which can live a choice banded wood hammer and itself threater rillaboom with hurricane
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 178-210 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 65.2% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 386-456 (113.1 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

defensive zapdos is better in my opinion.
you can swap seismitoad with zapdos and if you do so , you can even change pelipper's item to choice specs which is a very underrated item in my opinion, an example set could be:

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 HP(/Speed)
- Weather Ball
- Hurricane
- U-turn

- Surf
notable calcs;
252 SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 160-189 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar in Rain: 163-193 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Clefable in Rain: 324-382 (82.2 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

coming back to zapdos , you can also use a set like
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Roost

- Defog/weather ball
weather ball incase you use defog pelipper
moreover personally i would suggest using spikes or stealth rock on ferro over protect and even perhaps knock off or twave in place of toxic
I hope you find this helpful:psyglad:
using specs pelipper is prolly the worst thing ever as specs peli kinda sucks. Usually you want the extra rain turns to give skewda more breaking turns.

changing the ferro ev spread is optional but you could just keep it and use zapdos as your rilla check replacing the toad. Losing an electric immunity does hurt the team a bit but you don't get instantly 6-0ed by a rilla with superpower. Also you can use the spdef ferro to check koko and friends.

too sleep deprived to say anything else but just don't combine rain and terrain offense because you just end up with a team that literally loses on matchup to certain mons, just stick to one thing and build around that instead

Your Pelipper can be choice specs, but it should really just be defog for this team. Weather ball is an absolute must for zapdos on rain. You need it to nail things like landorus and heatran
lando and heatran are both ohkoed by choice banded barraskweda
and i suggested specs peli expecting that you are gonna run defog zapdos in which case you always wont need the 8 turns of rain

Because you are running an electric terrain, ur gunna always want the 8 rain turns, so i strongly reccomend using damp rock on peli

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)