Elimination of the waiting periods between Searches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
I know 30 seconds don't sound as bad but when you're desperately looking for information it seems like eternity. I believe that forums should be as McDonaldized as possible and having to wait between each search is just obnoxious. I have been in some others vBulletin Forums, none of which present this problem so I guess it can be turned off somehow. If there's a reason for this however, please let me know.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's because of the huge server load that could cause, leading to lag. If searches can be done non-stop, it takes its toll on the server. Smogon has a huge memberbase, which is bound to keep expanding, so these measures are unfortunately necessary.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay I don't really know enough about anything to post helpfully but I really like the phrase McDonaldized lol

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Yeah that was a good one.

Anyway, Destiny Warrior got it as far as I know. Searches are taxing on the server, and for the same reason, we can only get 50 results.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cathy upped the search feature to thirty seconds between searches due to the heavy amount of traffic we receive when a new generation came out. While I also hate the 30 seconds waiting period (and it could probably be a third or half of what it is currently), it is there so the forums don't get lag spikes and we don't get error 500 messages.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've reduced this to 15 seconds between searches and we'll return 100 results again. If it has a negative impact on the server we will revisit it. If it does not we will look into reducing the time between searches further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)