Emboar Discussion

First Pokemon discussion thread, nbd

Man this guy is so badass not even joking - it has great attacking stats and great HP to make up for its mediocre bulk. Only really bad thing is it's speed which can be really bad at points, since you don't even outspeed swellow after a scarf boost :/

sets:

Emboar@ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature | 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Superpower
-Earthquake

excellent physical revenge killer and cleaner, really lays the hurt on their team, especially hail if you can nail a walrein switchin with Wild Charge. Scarf Flare Blitz is probably the best way to clean up hail teams, behind Klingklang.

Emboar@ Choice Band
Jolly Nature | 212 HP 252 Atk / 44 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Superpower
-Earthquake

Enough Speed to outspeed min neutral alomomola, and Band Flare Blitz is going to HURT along with everything else. It's really slow though which is really sad considering some walls outspeed it....

Emboar@ Life Orb
Jolly Nature | 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Flame Charge
-Wild Charge
-Superpower / Earthquake

most of the power of CB and the Speed of Scarf - Life Orb recoil can stack up if you're against hail though. Pretty threatening if you can get a Flame Charge on a weakened Pokemon or a switchin to something else. Any sort of mixed set is outclassed by Magmortar most of the time, since it has higher special attack, Thunderbolt, and more Speed

discuss!

Too bad Reckless is unreleased because then you can completely fuck up NU. At least you still counter the omnipotent hail teams. (SubSplit this Rotom-F! Rotom-F now stands for Rotom-Fucked)

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dont quite get why eberyone says this wrecks haul teams when they WILL have a bulkywater to check klinklang, and jynx is also a threat to him. Nevertheless, he is a great mon in the current meta, with fanattic coverage and greatt power. Who would you guys co sider to be the best check to scarf emboar? Probably just prediciton i guess

I used Emboar in a TR way back in OU and it worked fairly well. Set was:

Emboar @ Expert Belt
Brave Nature | 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def (0 or 3 Speed IVs, depending on whether you use HP or not)
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Hammer Arm
-Stone Edge / HP Grass

Hammer Arm is just perfect for Trick Room, as he still can only reach 121 speed, making stuff like Slowking and Quagsire outslow him. Wild Charge deals 52.28% minimum to the former and the latter is hit for at least 58.38% by HP Grass. It would be better to combat them outside of TR, though, so you could try and send him in against a faster mon on the second-to-last turn of TR. Then hit the Slowking/Quaggy switch-in on the last TR turn and after that, you outspeed them for the KO. Of course, this requires prediction which can go both ways, but eh. If you got him in early and have already used Hammer Arm, you can do that too without "wasting" 3 turns of TR.

Also, I used an Expert Belt because the recoil is nasty, but I guess LO is an option if that floats your boat.

Admittedly, I haven't used him yet in NU, but he looks very nice, so I'll try him sometime.

I dont quite get why eberyone says this wrecks haul teams when they WILL have a bulkywater to check klinklang, and jynx is also a threat to him. Nevertheless, he is a great mon in the current meta, with fanattic coverage and greatt power. Who would you guys co sider to be the best check to scarf emboar? Probably just prediciton i guess
(I'm pretty new to NU so I'm just hopping in)

Quagsire seems like a good intial choice to me, since 99% of the time I just spam Flare Blitz and it's immune to wild charge as well. Pelipper is deceptively bulky and also resists both of his STABs.

Overall I think he's a fantastic 'mon that always makes you play the guessing game, and with spikes + sr he can really punish the opposition if they make a wrong move in the guessing game.

Quagsire is a great counter to the Scarf set, but the CB set 2HKOs with Superpower even through the Attack drop (might need SR or something, but idrr). It's a pain that the CB set is so slow, but it 2HKOs the whole effing teir with SR support (hell, it 2HKOs all of RU with SR support). I mean 252/252 Alomomola doesn't die to Wild Charge, but is that even common?

[Overview]
  • Historically one of the most dominating Pokemon in the tier
  • has had its role change since the creation of the tier, shifting from being a purely physical attacker to something that may be seen more often as a special attacker
  • A huge force in NU, something every team needs to consciously think about
  • Swords Dance set is great since its a physical attacker that can beat Tangela, as well as having STAB priority
  • The Special Attacker is great for attackign right off the bat, since Hydro Pump is very strong and comes off of Samurotts higher attack stat, cool wall breaker
  • SubSalac is a cool cleaner
  • Samurott is also quite bulky for an offensive pokemon, with 95/85/70 defences
  • its not even slow!
  • A huge force in the metagame, and one of the defining Pokemon of NU

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Megahorn
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
ability: Torrent
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
[SET COMMENTS]
  • One of the best sweepers in the tier
  • Swords Dance makes Samurotts attack incredibly high! Great for sweeping
  • Waterfall is a strong STAB move, hitting anything that doesn't resist it very hard
  • Aqua Jet is used for revenge kills and allows Samurott to stand up to Pokemon that would normally outspeed it, such as Electrode, Zebstrika, and Absol (sometimes)
  • Megahorn is to hit Grass-types that resist water such as Tangela, it is also Samurotts strongest attack against against Musharna and other psychics
  • Life Orb makes Samurott a lot more powerful, Lum Berry means more set up chances though

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Adamant can be used, but you lose out on Adamant Absol and special attacking Samurott
  • Encore or Taunt can be used to help Samurott set up, you lose out on Aqua jet though which sucks
  • Leftovers is nice if you want a reliable item, doesnt offer much though
  • Struggles with Amoonguss, so partners that defeat it are great teammates, like Magmar and Emboar
  • basically, SD Samurott struggles agaisnt the regenerator core, so Pokemon such as Exeggutor, Golurk, and Regice are good teammates
  • Ludicolo good sweeping buddy
  • Also struggles with Water-types that are faster, so Grass-types like Amoonguss and Serperior make good teammats
  • Flying-types like Swellow and Scarf Braviary also help against grassers
  • obligatory stealth rock support from regirock and golem
  • Spikes from Cacturne make him more threatening

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Aqua Jet
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • can attack right off of the bat
  • uses Samurotts higher attacking stat
  • Hydro Pump is strong! surf is more accurate but a lot less powerful
  • Ice Beam hits grasses like Sawsbuck leafeon and amoonguss hard, eggy too
  • hp grass hits waters like byss simipour other rotts harder than grass knot, also alomomola
  • aqua jet for when they just live :( even with a -nature it is still powerful enough to finish things off

[Additional Comments]
  • Megahorn to hit ludicolo
  • Grass Knot can be used to hit some water types harder, but HP grass hits most relevant ones a lot harder
  • Modest is an option, but you are pretty slow with it
  • This set struggles with things that are really specially bulky like Regice, Lapras, Mantine, Lickilicky.
  • There are a few ways to go about countering these, fighting types such as Emboar and Sawk work well, since all of this Samurott's checks are physically frail or weak to fighting
  • Physical sweepers work great with Samurott, its a shame you cant use SD Rott with this set, they'd be great partners. Stuff like Tauros, Zangoose and other normal-types appreciate the damage this set can do to normal normal-type counters
  • Also works well with other specially based water types such as ludicolo and gorebyss, weakening each others counters

[SET]
name: SubSalac
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Salac Berry
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • its a special samurott that can sweep
  • Sub down to Salac range, get a torrent boost and sweep
  • I think Surf is better since sweeping with hydro pump is impossible, hydro pump has a lot more power though
  • HP Grass hits waters that wall the set otherwise
  • ice beam hits dragons and grasses
  • Salac Berry is required...
  • Timid allows you to outspeed extra threats, such as adamant scarf braviary

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • modest can be used if you dont mind losing out on the speed
  • plays similarly to the special attacker, but can sweep.
  • CB Emboar breaks down most threats that wall Samurott
  • Swellow lures in Rock types that Samurott can set up on
  • most flying types make good teammates for the same reason as swellow
  • anything that lures in rocks or grounds makes good teammates, so electric types do as well
  • Needs really fast scarfers(such as Zebstrika or Rotom-S) to be removed before hand, so ground types do a good job at that, as well as your own electric type
  • struggles against bulky psychics, so absol and skuntank work well
  • needs hazard support a lot in order to function, regirock cacturne garbodor etc

[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Superpower
  • Return
  • Dragon Tail
  • Knock Off
  • Scald
  • Air Slash
  • Mixed set

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
  • Each set has its own unique counters, nothing counters all sets except Shedinja
  • Shelgon, relicanth, vigoroth, amoonguss, altaria, alomomola, frillish, ampharos do a good job beating SD set
  • Mantine,lapras, hypno, regice, articuno, lickilicky
  • Gurdurr also does decently well against both sets
  • fast electrics outspeed and OHKO ((electabuzz, electrode, ampharos,
  • ludicolo hard counters any set without megahorn
  • hates status so anything that paralyzes or burns it does well
  • fast grasses like Sawsbuck and Leafeon can revenge kill
  • if it doesnt have aqua jet then Sucker Punch from Absol does a ton

I ran this set a while ago, not sure how it would do in the current meta but its worth a shot -

Emboar @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 Att/ 252 Hp
-Substitute
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Superpower

I figured an Emboar would cause many switches, so I slapped Sub on hoim and this is what I got. A great set as the Evs and nature skyrocket his Hp to 424 and his Attack to 397. It was a decent set, but the only problems are the amounts of recoil Emboar will be taking with Wild Charge + Flare Blitz + Sub and hazards. He is neutral to Rocks and weak to spikes, so that doesnt help either. If only he wwas fast he'd wreck all of NU.

Now that I think about it, has anyone ever tried passing him a Shift Gear from Smeargle?

This thing needs a Fighting move which does not suck. Maybe Drain Punch or Close Combat. At least Hammer Arm is actually good in TR

I don't agree that superpower sucks. It's not a move that you can spam, but does huge damage.

If it got drain punch you would miss the base power. And Emboar would not make good use of close combat: while CC can be spamed, it requires top speed or else the def drops eat you alive. CB terrakion is an example of close combat abuser as, ideally, it doesn't get hit (yeah, I know it's OU but still it shows how it works).

@ Struggle Sweep

A set with out recoil behind Substitute would probably work better, Maybe a more mixed set. Focusing on Special Attack.

Magmotar maybe better but it Emboar doesn't have a Stealth Rock weakness and it has a Fighting Stab.

[SET]
name: Substitute
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Grassknot
move 4: Superpower/Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
ability: Blaze
nature: Hasty/ Naive
evs: 252 SpA / 4 Att / 252 Spe

Timid if you running Focus Blast.

I think the best fighting move Emboar can hope for it Low kick, since the it was a tutor move last gen and it's only negative would be a pokemon with low weight, although I'm just assuming most thing you'll be hitting with low kick are heavy anyway.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
@ Struggle Sweep

A set with out recoil behind Substitute would probably work better, Maybe a more mixed set. Focusing on Special Attack.

Magmotar maybe better but it Emboar doesn't have a Stealth Rock weakness and it has a Fighting Stab.

[SET]
name: Substitute
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Grassknot
move 4: Superpower/Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
ability: Blaze
nature: Hasty/ Naive
evs: 252 SpA / 4 Att / 252 Spe

Timid if you running Focus Blast.

I think the best fighting move Emboar can hope for it Low kick, since the it was a tutor move last gen and it's only negative would be a pokemon with low weight, although I'm just assuming most thing you'll be hitting with low kick are heavy anyway.
I used Sub/Fire Blast/Wild Charge/Superpower with a mixed spread. The fact is that it needs hp investment to reach 404 hp, which is one of the points in using Sub. Also grass knot sounds cool to nail usual switch ins like alomomola or quaggy. Focus Blast is meh and I think Fire Blast is better than flare blitz using sub.

Emboar's analysis said:
Scald is hilarious on a Fire-type, but is of no real use otherwise.
This pretty much sums it up. It doesn't even add coverage really. Rhydon? Wait, you're a Fighting type, focusing on Special Attack.
Torkoal? I guess, but you're really wasting a moveslot on that?

Emboar is pretty cool, I was running him for a while (a scarf set) and having a fair bit of success with him. One thing I found was that Wild Charge is practically useless, most of the time you're better off just going for Superpower due to the lack of stab and lower base power, nothing in the tier is really 4x weak to it either. It's good for Slowking (who resists both stab moves) but that's about it and he's moving.

It's really a shame that Emboar lacks both priority, and any kind of decent bulk as he has access to taunt, curse and a ton of other useful abilities.

One move that I haven't seen mentioned but is worth mentioning (especially if Reckless gets released) is Head Smash due to it's high base power and ability to hit Torkoal harder, who is otherwise a pretty good check due to his immense physical bulk (a non-stab Earthquake isn't enough to completely phase him, especially as they often carry yawn)

I got a fun set that I've been messing around with:

Emboar @ Choice Specs
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 Atk
Rash / Blaze

Fire Blast
Focus Blast/Superpower
Scald
Grass Knot

Specs is actually a useful set, and Scald is actually useful on the Specs set as well as it 1hko's both Torkoal AND Camerupt after any entry hazards. Grass Knot 2hko's Alomomola, one of the only remaining Bulky Waters in the tier. Focus Blast is powerful special STAB, while Superpower still hits fairly hard on walls that can tank its special moves like Clefable while getting decent use out of its Attack stat. The only real reason to use this over LO Magmortar is actually Scald and STAB on Focus Blast, which lets it beat the other fire-types 1v1.

I got a fun set that I've been messing around with:

Emboar @ Choice Specs
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 Atk
Rash / Blaze

Fire Blast
Focus Blast/Superpower
Scald
Grass Knot

Specs is actually a useful set, and Scald is actually useful on the Specs set as well as it 1hko's both Torkoal AND Camerupt after any entry hazards. Grass Knot 2hko's Alomomola, one of the only remaining Bulky Waters in the tier. Focus Blast is powerful special STAB, while Superpower still hits fairly hard on walls that can tank its special moves like Clefable while getting decent use out of its Attack stat. The only real reason to use this over LO Magmortar is actually Scald and STAB on Focus Blast, which lets it beat the other fire-types 1v1.
Looks reasonably viable, he has 100 SpA, the problem with a set like that is outside of the inaccurate second stab with Focus Blast it's in direct competition with Magmortar. Scald is certainly interesting, but only mildly more powerful than hidden power water (though the burn chance is obviously very useful).

The biggest issue with Special Emboar is that he's so damn slow and has no real bulk to speak of. For those reasons I'd be more inclined to run a Scarf variant with Overheat when looking at a special set. That or go mixed LO which seems all together superior if you want to take special moves on Emboar, as the OP mentioned though, it's fairly outclassed by Magmortar even in that regard.

I think any Special Attacking Emboar is probably going to be outclassed by Magmortar...I mean, it has surprise value, but it seems a bit gimmicky. Magmortar is faster, has a better movepool, and has a higher SpAtk stat.

Oh, and about this...

One move that I haven't seen mentioned but is worth mentioning (especially if Reckless gets released) is Head Smash due to it's high base power and ability to hit Torkoal harder, who is otherwise a pretty good check due to his immense physical bulk (a non-stab Earthquake isn't enough to completely phase him, especially as they often carry yawn)
And about 5 posts earlier...

I know it's not the best idea because of the high recoil, but isn't Head Smash one of his most powerful attacks?
I lol'd, but seriously, I think Head Smash is a pretty good move on 'Boar. The recoil hurts really bad, but the power makes up for it. In my opinion Emboar works best as a late game sweeper; with a Scarf he can cleanly demolish a weakened team with all of his ridiculously high-powered attacks.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Specs emboar is actually good imo. Scald can look like (lol Scald on Emboar) but is actually good as it KOes fire and rock types (unboosted superpower sucks against most rock types even with stab) and Scald is a good move to spam thanks to its secondary effect too.

Specs emboar is actually good imo. Scald can look like (lol Scald on Emboar) but is actually good as it KOes fire and rock types (unboosted superpower sucks against most rock types even with stab) and Scald is a good move to spam thanks to its secondary effect too.
Scald is not something you should be spamming, it doesn't do much damage to a lot of things meaning Emboar turns into set up bait for stuff like Sub CM Mespirit and Shell Smash Gorebyss. When I used Specs Emboar I mostly just used Fire Blast or Focus Blast. Scald was helpful against stuff like Camerupt, though. There's almost no reason to use Emboar over Magmortar. Magmortar has better speed, special attack and access to Thunderbolt. Emboar does take neutral damage from SR with that nifty dual typing and some extra bulk but it honestly isn't that great compared to Magmortar.

Out of all the Emboar sets I've used I like Choice Scarf and a Substitute set similar to kniteowl's set the best. Choice Scarf was unfortunately a little slow, especially for a scarfer, but it allowed Emboar to revenge things and actually hurt things it'd do a lot of damage to but it can't because it gets outsped and OHKO'd. Substitute did good depending on the opposing team, it could set up on stuff like Tangela and fire high powered attacks but was unfortunately walled by a few things such as Slowking.

The tier changes don't seem to effect Emboar much. On one hand Slowking, one of the biggest Emboar stops moved up; on the other hand, stuff that beat it/set up on it are going to become more popular because a lot of their checks/counters are not in RU anymore. (I'm talking about Swellow and Gorebyss, for anyone wondering.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)