Enchanted Items [Now Multibility]

Rough Skin & Iron Barbs replace Rocky Helmet, since they cannot be k-offed.
No, Knock Off is banned. Items that provide Abilities are not immune to being removed. Rocky Helmet also hits harder -there's not actually any reason to run the Rough Skin or Iron Barbs items, as they're strictly inferior.

Rapid Spinners have Scrappy to bypass ghosts.
-ate works too, and is honestly probably better, providing a 30% power boost and the potential to hit super effectively. Not that people use Rapid Spin for its damage... but having it do better damage may well make the difference. Aerilated Rapid Spin could be a nasty surprise for Leech Seeders, for instance.

Found a combo I call "reactive armour"

With: Contrary + Weak Armour, you get +Def, -Spe on every hit; meaning every time you get hit you become more physically defensive and harder to kill.

Given that Contrary as held ability was preemptively banned for some reason (I don't think it'd be that OP in this meta; but I guess it might be); there are very few LEGAL combos to run this. This bums me out a bit, because of the other way around (the Weak Armour mons getting added Contrary) are much more "hidden gem" pokemon that are usually bad and might be viable with the boost. I'll post about both anyways:

Legal:

Serperior @ Skull Fossil
Ability: Contrary + Weak Armour
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain/Synthesis
- Glare/Synthesis
- Leech Seed/HP Fire/HP Ice/Light Screen

Physically defensive Serperior, gets slower, but bulkier on every hit, uses Giga Drain and/or Synthesis for recovery. (Can also forget about SpA and run a sub-seeder set. It has decent (not amazing) bulk that becomes great Physical bulk once the ability activates. (75/95/95).

The only other Contrary mon with reliable recovery is Spinda but Spinda's stats are too low to run. Similar Malamar and Shuckle could run the combo, but are unable to be truly bulky due to lack of recovery. Shuckle MIGHT be usable with one of these two sets:

Shuckle @ Skull Fossil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Shell Smash
- Infestation
- Toxic

(Normal Contrary Shuckle boosted by extra Def boost)

Shuckle @ Skull Fossil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Power Split
- Gyro Ball
- Rest
- Knock Off

(Attempts to steal Physical Atk prowess from the first attacker out, uses the extra spe malus for max gyro ball power).

-Neither is that good though honestly.-

Illegal:

Only posting because I put so much thought into it already; Contrary is on the list of preemptive bans, probably more because of V-Create Victini or Draco Meteor Latios than this gems in the rough, but "simple bans" throw out the baby with the bathwater for the sake of simplicity.

Magcargo @ Dark Gem
Ability: Weak Armour + Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Recover
- Earth Power/HP Rock
- Stealth Rock/Will-o-Wisp/Shell Smash

Magcargo's already good Def gets boosted every hit, thus investing in the lower SpD is a better call. Can use Shell Smash (Which will lower your SpA, which can be risen again by your STAB) or Sand Storm to boost SpD. Only normal Rock STAB available (Ancientpower) is same power as HP and a bad call because of chance of lowering all stats.

Mandibuzz @ Dark Gem
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Knock Off/Brave Bird

Kabutops @ Dark Gem
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Rapid Spin/Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Skarmory @ Dark Gem
Sassy Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock/Spikes
- Brave Bird/Iron Head/Spikes
- Whirlwind

-Skarm is probably the best illegal user, as it takes it's already amazing physical bulk and turns it overwhelming.

Other users if Contrary was ever unlocked (currently illegal):
Crustle, Garbodor, Omastar, Onix, Vanilluxe

Shuckle @ Skull Fossil
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Shell Smash
- Infestation
- Toxic

(Normal Contrary Shuckle boosted by extra Def boost)

Shuckle @ Skull Fossil
Sassy Nature
- Power Split
- Gyro Ball
- Rest
- Knock Off

(Attempts to steal Physical Atk prowess from the first attacker out, uses the extra spe malus for max gyro ball power).

-Neither is that good though honestly.-
That's a pretty cool combo, certainly; it's a shame that nothing can really abuse it. Neither of those Shuckle sets are good, unfortunately; the first loses to Taunt and anything that doesn't take damage from Toxic, while the second is piss-weak after a Power Split (it's basically a burnt version of the thing it splits with -- after Power Splitting on Adamant KyuB, it's like an Adamant base-73, and if it happens to click Power Split on something that isn't an offensive juggernaut, it'll still be mostly useless) and is setup bait for anything it doesn't deal enough damage to. Contrary+Weak Armor would be cool for the traditional hazard-stacking set, but Shuckle has much more relevant abilities to run for that, such as Regenerator, Magic Bounce, Mold Breaker, Prankster, etc.

Serperior's not gonna be bulky enough in this meta to pull off a defense-boosting set. Especially when it could be running Tinted Lens or Mold Breaker to actually circumvent its checks.

That's a pretty cool combo, certainly; it's a shame that nothing can really abuse it. Neither of those Shuckle sets are good, unfortunately; the first loses to Taunt and anything that doesn't take damage from Toxic, while the second is piss-weak after a Power Split (it's basically a burnt version of the thing it splits with -- after Power Splitting on Adamant KyuB, it's like an Adamant base-73, and if it happens to click Power Split on something that isn't an offensive juggernaut, it'll still be mostly useless) and is setup bait for anything it doesn't deal enough damage to. Contrary+Weak Armor would be cool for the traditional hazard-stacking set, but Shuckle has much more relevant abilities to run for that, such as Regenerator, Magic Bounce, Mold Breaker, Prankster, etc.

Serperior's not gonna be bulky enough in this meta to pull off a defense-boosting set. Especially when it could be running Tinted Lens or Mold Breaker to actually circumvent its checks.
Yea I pretty much agree. I still found the combo and thought it was cool, but it's the banned mons that would use it well (especially Skarmory and Mandibuzz), not the currently legal ones. I realize Contrary is banned more for V-Create Victini, Superpower Conkeldurr and Draco Meteor Lati@s than these guys and I guess that makes sense...but...

I'm not completely sure I agree with it tbh. At least for a quick-ban. I mean, I'll use as example for this:

[Desolate Land] +0 252+ SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 165-195 (25.7 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

[Contrary] +0 252+ SpA Chandelure Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 129-153 (20 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
[Contrary] +2 252+ SpA Chandelure Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 258-304 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
[Contrary] +4 252+ SpA Chandelure Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 387-456 (60.2 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
[Contrary] +6 252+ SpA Chandelure Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 514-606 (80 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It's weaker first turn out; but grows to much, much stronger. The fact that it requires more setup gives a stronger chance to counter it with a thing that isn't an Evioite Chansey. It's something that could be centralizing and deserve ban; but I'm not sure it necessarily would be. Overheat, Leaf Storm, Draco Meteor, Close Combat and Superpower are the common ways to abuse it without needing another ability tied in. V-Create is the most obviously OP one, but if it's the ONLY OP one, just ban Victini instead of Contrary, IMHO.

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
It's weaker first turn out; but grows to much, much stronger. The fact that it requires more setup gives a stronger chance to counter it with a thing that isn't an Evioite Chansey.
You don't need setup to hit hard at the beginning though. It's not like Stored Power, which only has 20 power on the first turn; these moves have 120-130 power with high accuracy while still outdamaging other strong moves like Hydro Pump and Fire Blast and you get a free Nasty Plot every time you use it.

Contrary forces teams to run unaware, regardless of offence or stall. It's not only the increased damage output, but the increase in bulk and speed. On vicitini V-create is amazing but it leaves it prone to pursuit trapping and revenhe killing. How much does TTar do versus +2 Victini? You can find counters, a big one would be Flash fire Clefable, and yet plenty of ways to break it...

Trick / Switcheroo is gonna be interesting...

Also, Magic Guard / Sturdy are excellent abilities for Volcarona to either ignore entry hazard / toxic damage, or tank a SE priority move, respectively.

Dunno whether I should post this, but my bot Abyssal Bot now has a command '~ei '. It will be usefull while teambuilding, just PM it with the ability you want. For example, '~ei Adaptability' shall return "The Enchanted Item for Adaptability is Apicot Berry". This will also work for AbyssalBot on rom.

Last edited:
Long post incoming:

Moxie seems fun in this meta. Sacking mons is never safe against physical attackers, as it may result in a free +1 for the opponent.

Kyurem-Black @ White Herb (Moxie)
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw/Coverage

Click STAB, get a kill, sweep stall since unaware is not stopping you. Outrage for power, Dragon Claw so you aren't locked in. Iron Head for fairies, Fusion Bolt for bulky waters, coverage is coverage. Jolly if preferred for speed, since with moxie you don't really need the extra power, but you can run adamant if you want.

Now for some things that has nothing to do with Moxie:

Salamence @ Air Balloon (Aerilate)
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Fire Blast

Take Mega Salamence, reduce 50 bst from physical bulk (95/85 is enough with intimidate anyway imo) 10 from attack (135 attack aerilate still hits hard though.) 10 special attack (although 110 special attack is enough to destroy stuff with Fire Blast anyway) 10 special defense, and 20 speed (significant, but with 2+ dragon dances it wont matter, and at +1 you outspeed all unboosted, relevant mons anyway.) Now take that, and put it in OU. This thing is what you have. Aerilate double edge hits harder than Mega Salamence's Return (252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 262-309 (76.8 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, while for Mega Mence 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 237-279 (69.5 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) Roost is for recovery to go alont with decent bulk, Fire Blast to destroy steels. Ev spread is obvious, Naive to tie with base 100's.

Other ideas:

Thief + Fling seems like a fun gimmick. Steal Mon's abilities, throw them away, repeat until you take all the abilities. It does abuse a loophole though, as destroying your opponents item is banned, but you take it yourself and destroy it then instead.
Desolate land/Primordial Sea + Chlorphyll/Swift Swim respectfully gives a mon a free +2 speed. The most notable is Venusaur, who can Sleep Powder one mon, Growth on the switch, and begin wrecking teams.
Defiant/Competitive + Weak Armor would be amazing, but does Weak Armor's defense drop activate defiant? if it does, this combo would be amazing, because if you get hit by 1 physical attack, your ready to sweep.

Long post incoming:

Moxie seems fun in this meta. Sacking mons is never safe against physical attackers, as it may result in a free +1 for the opponent.

Kyurem-Black @ White Herb (Moxie)
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw/Coverage

Click STAB, get a kill, sweep stall since unaware is not stopping you. Outrage for power, Dragon Claw so you aren't locked in. Iron Head for fairies, Fusion Bolt for bulky waters, coverage is coverage. Jolly if preferred for speed, since with moxie you don't really need the extra power, but you can run adamant if you want.

Now for some things that has nothing to do with Moxie:

Salamence @ Air Balloon (Aerilate)
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Fire Blast

Take Mega Salamence, reduce 50 bst from physical bulk (95/85 is enough with intimidate anyway imo) 10 from attack (135 attack aerilate still hits hard though.) 10 special attack (although 110 special attack is enough to destroy stuff with Fire Blast anyway) 10 special defense, and 20 speed (significant, but with 2+ dragon dances it wont matter, and at +1 you outspeed all unboosted, relevant mons anyway.) Now take that, and put it in OU. This thing is what you have. Aerilate double edge hits harder than Mega Salamence's Return (252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 262-309 (76.8 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, while for Mega Mence 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 237-279 (69.5 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) Roost is for recovery to go alont with decent bulk, Fire Blast to destroy steels. Ev spread is obvious, Naive to tie with base 100's.

Other ideas:

Thief + Fling seems like a fun gimmick. Steal Mon's abilities, throw them away, repeat until you take all the abilities. It does abuse a loophole though, as destroying your opponents item is banned, but you take it yourself and destroy it then instead.
Desolate land/Primordial Sea + Chlorphyll/Swift Swim respectfully gives a mon a free +2 speed. The most notable is Venusaur, who can Sleep Powder one mon, Growth on the switch, and begin wrecking teams.
Defiant/Competitive + Weak Armor would be amazing, but does Weak Armor's defense drop activate defiant? if it does, this combo would be amazing, because if you get hit by 1 physical attack, your ready to sweep.
All moves that destroy items, including Fling and Natural Gift, are banned, IIRC. It sure would be helpful if AllJokesAside would actually make a complete list in the OP to clear up any confusion. It would also be helpful to add questions that have been answered in the thread to the Q&A section.

Edit: I would think that Weak Armor wouldn't activate Defiant or Competitive, as moves like Superpower don't. However, it's possible that the defense drop is technically inflicted as a secondary effect of the attacker's move, as Weak Armor is actually negated by attackers with Sheer Force when they use moves that normally have their own secondary effects, like Body Slam, the same way that Life Orb's recoil is negated. Therefore, I suspect that Weak Armor could potentially activate abilities like Defiant, have its defense drop negated by Clear Body, etc. The same would hold true for any ability that is activated after being hit by a move, such as Color Change, so this is a point that needs investigating, as Weak Armor + Defiant/Competitive could potentially be very, very powerful, and there could be other such combinations that depend on whether abilities like Weak Armor are considered self-inflicted.

Last edited:
All moves that destroy items, including Fling and Natural Gift, are banned, IIRC. It sure would be helpful if AllJokesAside would actually make a complete list in the OP to clear up any confusion. It would also be helpful to add questions that have been answered in the thread to the Q&A section.
There's no confusion, Knock Off is the only move banned atm. Naturally this means that everything else is allowed, including Fling, Thief, etc.

The guidelines is that if a move removes your opponent's item regardless of items properties then it should be banned, this means only Knock off is banned as Bug bite won't eat berries as berries lose their ability to BE eaten.

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
"The guidelines is that if a move removes your opponent's item regardless of items properties then it should be banned"
Doesn't Thief do exactly this? Even without Fling to permanently remove them, you're still about to remove every single item that Koff can.
I guess the downside is that you can't hold an item (but hey, Talonflame gets Thief and Acrobatics if you're so inclined)

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
"The guidelines is that if a move removes your opponent's item regardless of items properties then it should be banned"
Doesn't Thief do exactly this? Even without Fling to permanently remove them, you're still about to remove every single item that Koff can.
I guess the downside is that you can't hold an item (but hey, Talonflame gets Thief and Acrobatics if you're so inclined)
the point is that knock off is a mindless item remover with an UPSIDE while thief has a HUGE opportunity cost(being 60 base power, removing one item per game, and forcing you to run no item) for talonflame, i dont think it would appriciate a 55 base power move alongside a 60 base, even with a shiny new adaptability in its belt. knock off defeats the entire purpose of this meta. its a really good move, and almost every mon who CAN use it incorperates it into one of its sets almost 80% of the time. thief at least has some serious "downsides" attached compared to knock off

edit: ninjad oh wait

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
(Update 27.06.2016)

Thief is now banned

It steals your opponents item and although it's a god awful move only used by Slurpluff it goes against the metagame guideline policy :]
by this logic, trick and switcheroo should be banned too, thief is basically trick that requires you to not have an item to use. theres a difference between "removal" and "taking". so either ban trick or switcheroo, or unban thief(and covet too). either ban ALL moves that steal items, or don't ban any.

not to mention, this contradicts the Q and A:
Q: What about moves and abilities that steal or destroy items?
A: Stealing items is fine.

Last edited:
If Thief is going to be banned, really, all the item-manipulating moves should be banned. Certainly, Covet should be, even though it's the awful Normal type.

Also, only Breloom, Roserade, and Kricketune don't get Thief out of Technician-capable Pokemon, so really Technician Thief would likely have been quite viable for screwing with enemies. Only Persian and Hitmontop, out of fully-evolved Technicians with Thief, don't get Fling, either.

After discussing it with the OM room, all items should be permanently stickied

Unbanning Thief, Covet, Knock off ect.

So, the problem is that the point of the metagame is to give you the tools to be as creative as possible with two abilities, without your item this just becomes a random metagame with no strategy. Sorry for any confusion and thank you to Ghoul King and Lcass4919, I appreciate it!

vwMin.gif

Vote Enchanted Items for OMOTM June 2016,
Double the abilities. Double the fun.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Is Unburden useless now? I mean now that you cant get rid of your item, I dont see the point of running it unless I am missing something...

Will Knock Off still be boosted?

How will Fling work?
Depends on what the coder thinks :p
Depends on what the coder thinks :p

Is Unburden useless now? I mean now that you cant get rid of your item, I dont see the point of running it unless I am missing something...
Depends on what the coder thinks :p (lol)

Well uh, I guess it is. you can use speed boost though

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
If the items are stickied in the same way as megastones (which they should be), then the answers are:

1) Knock Off isn't boosted
2) Fling fails when used
3) Unburden is useless
Yeah, setting OnTakeItem to always return false is the easiest, which is what Mega Stones do on the right Pokemon, so Knock Off will do that. The Fling question is handled differently (I think, need to check Fling's code) but imo it should fail when used so I'll do that unless people don't want me to

EDIT: fling doesn't work either bc I'm just removing the fling base power

Last edited:
Q&A:

Q: How do moves that affect your abilities work?

A: Knock Off is banned, Trick swaps your item (ability), and Skill swap works as normally.

Q: What about Mega Pokémon?

A: They don't get a secondary ability, unfortunately!

Q: Why aren't Kyurem-Black, Protean, Aerilate banned yet?

A: Because we've never seen a metagame like this, or similar to it, it isn't fair to ban anything that isn't obviously broken before extensive testing!

Q: Do abilities stack?

A: No. For example; Regenerator + Regenerator only restores 33%, not 67%.

Q: What about Klutz or Trace?

A: Klutz has no effect at all, however is a waste of an item slot. Trace's effect will depend on what is easiest to code, if not it will be looked into further.

Q: What about moves and abilities that steal or destroy items?

A: Stealing items is fine. Otherwise, if a move or ability destroys the item of your opponent, it'll either be banned or the effects will be removed, based on whatever is easier to code. The current list is final, unless it effects the code in a significant way. Do not ask me to change anything, I didn't pair all of them together, and most of them are entirely objective. Resources: None as of yet.​
Now as all items are stickied, can you edit this accordingly please? Its would prevent confusion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)