Enchanted Items [Now Multibility]

Banning Wave Incense(Moody)

Banning Dusk ball (Speed boost) together with Baton pass
I've actually pre-emptively modded the Moody and Baton Pass clauses to work with the new items rather than the old ones. This means that if you try to use the Wave Incense it will show up as banned by the Moody Clause (actually there was a bug and it didn't say that but I've fixed that now), while although the combination of Dusk Ball and Baton Pass isn't directly banned, if you have any other stat-boosting move or ability then the Baton Pass clause will block it. I hope that suffices!

So it turns out that Weak Armour activating causes Competitive and Defiant to activate. Therefore: Weak Armour + Competitive gives (+2 SpA, -1 Def, +1 Spe) upon surviving any hit and Weak Armour + Defiant similarly gives (+2 Atk, -1 Def, +1 Spe) upon hit. This is pretty cool combo. On most users you'll only manage to get setup once (Skarmory is a notable exception) and therefore wouldn't want to switch out after setup.

Here are some potential sets using this:

Vanilluxe @ Damp Rock
Ability: Weak Armour + Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Spe / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Freeze Dry/Ice Beam/Blizzard
- Flash Cannon
- Weather Ball/Ice Shard/Water Pulse
- HP Ground/HP Fighting/HP Electric

Personally I'd pick Freeze Dry; but whichever STAB you want. Water Pulse vs Ice Shard is a hard call; weak priority allows you to hit things that would otherwise KO you before you can move; while Water Pulse is good for hitting Fire types. Last slot is the HP type your team needs coverage for most.

Garbodor @ Ganlon Berry
Ability: Weak Armour + Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Explosion

Straight forward offensive set.

Kabutops @ Ganlon Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin/Knock Off/Superpower

Pick Rapid Spin if you need the Spinner Support for some other mon; otherwise pick one of the coverage moves.

Omastar @ Damp Rock
Ability: Weak Armour + Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump/Scald/Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Only slightly better than the normal Shell Smash Set..

Skarmory @ Ganlon Berry
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird
- Night Slash
- Roost/Defog/Stealth Rock

Offensive Skarm is odd; but it hits as hard as Talonflame, while having decent defense. Night Slash and Rock Slide are the only available coverage moves and Rock Slide doesn't hit anything useful; Night Slash is mostly to hit other steels, which would wall your STABs.

Bisharp @ Skull Fossil
Ability: Defiant + Weak Armour
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit/Night Slash
- Iron Head
- Low Kick/Brick Break

Empoleon @ Skull Fossil
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Steel Wing/Metal Claw
- Waterfall
- Shadow Claw/Aerial Ace/Stealth Rock

Twin STABs (though the Steel one is semi-weak), Ground Coverage; addition coverage or Stealth Rock Choice.

Thundurus @ Skull Fossil
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Sky Drop
- Hammer Arm/Brick Break/Superpower
- Crunch/U-Turn/Iron Tail

Tornadus @ Skull Fossil
Adamant Nature
- Iron Tail
- Sky Drop/Aerial Ace
- Hammer Arm/Brick Break/Superpower
- Crunch/U-Turn

Milotic @ Skull Fossil
Ability: Competitive + Weak Armour
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Spe / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Scald/Hydro Pump/Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power (Choice Type)
- Toxic/Dragon Tail/Recover

Braviary @ Skull Fossil
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Return/Frustration/Facade
- U-Turn/Roost/Defog/Zen Headbutt

Other users (Excludes NFEs)
Gothitelle (Competitive), Meowstic-F (Competitive), Wigglytuff (Competitive), Crustle (Weak Armour), Magcargo (Weak Armour), Mandibuzz (Weak Armour), Onix (Weak Armour), Farfetch'd (Defiant), Primeape (Defiant), Purugly (Defiant)

Analysis:
Best potential users are Vanilluxe, Skarmory, Milotic, Bisharp, Omastar, Braviary and Kabutops. The others I made sets for are probably viable; the rest listed in the pile at the bottom are probably terrible.

Thought I'd jot down an obvious thought:

Offensive Aerilate STAB Aerodactyl:

Aerodactyl @ Air Balloon
Ability: Rock Head + Aerilate
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Taunt/Stealth Rock/Hone Claws [Fire Fang/Iron Head]

On the Last Moveslot:

1. Iron Head OHKOs exactly one mon you wouldn't normally OHKO (Diancie-Mega) [It doesn't OHKO normal Diancie].

2. Fire Fang only OHKOs one mon you wouldn't normally two (Scizor); it also hits Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, (Balloon) Magnezone and Skarmory better than any other choice. These being overall crappy coverage choices compared to EQ (but still with some merit).

3. Taunt and Stealth Rock are common to normal Aerodactyl sets and are valid choices for the last slot on an offensive set.

4. Hone Claws allows setup, turning several 2HKOs into OHKOs and is probably the best choice when trying to sweep.

Jolly vs Adamant:
Adamant hits harder making it much more sweeperly; but Adamant is outsped by the following which the Jolly is not (Assuming these mons have Spe+ natures)

Absol-Mega, Alakazam, Ambipom, Azelf, Cinccino, Dugtrio, Floatzel, Hawlucha, Houndoom-Mega, Meloetta-Pirouette, Noivern, Persian, Pidgeot-Mega, Raikou, Sceptile, Sneasel, Starmie, Swellow, Swoobat, Talonflame, Tornadus-Therian, Weavile, Whimsicott, Zebstrika

Additionally, though Scarfs would be rare in this meta (probably); Scarfers of Spe 60 and higher are faster than Adamant and while Scarfers of Spe 71 and higher are faster than Jolly.

My personal vote is for Adamant, since trying to sweep, however since 105 base attack is a little low to sweep with even with a base 156 STAB (Double-Edge) to work with.

Additional Note:
As with all frail fast cleaners and sweepers with relatively low (sub 140) attacking stats, Stealth Rock would go a long way towards making this mon work.

Last edited:
So, is Adaptability plus an -ate a thing? Something like Sylveon must love this Meta.
Adaptability is just a Life Orb's worth of damage -- nothing Sylveon couldn't already achieve.

Sylveon does have a reason to be used here -- while Clefable is probably a generally better choice for a Fairy-type setup sweeper just because of how fucking tough it is to stop, Sylveon can run Tinted Lens as an enchanted item as a wallbreaker. With literally just its STAB, it can 2HKO almost the entire tier at +1, discounting Unaware shenanigans.

Sylveon @ [Tinted Lens]
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Wish / Substitute
- Protect / Baton Pass

There's barely any point in running coverage unless you need to, like, lure Heatran in. It has pretty few switch-ins and barely any are covered by any one coverage move. This gives it the freedom to use its last two slots for Wishtect, Subpass, or Wishpass. I'd recommend pairing it up with Mold Breaker Keldeo to put those BPed CMs to work breaking Chansey and Heatran and miscellaneous Unaware users.

Last edited:
Sylveon @ [Tinted Lens]
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Wish / Substitute
- Protect / Baton Pass
I'm still partial to adaptability/tented lens over -iate/tented lens.

Pory-Z with Tinted/Adapt (No Setup) can 2HKO everything except (Counting mons normally in OU only): Chansey, Blissey, Dragonite, Mega-Sableye, Goodra, Cresselia, Slowking, Aggron, Pory-2, Mega-Amph, Jirachi, Tangrowth, Metagross, Mew.

With a Nasty Plot that turns into:
Chansey is the only thing you DON'T 2HKO.
Blissey, Dragonite, Mega-Sableye, Goodra, Cresselia, Slowking, Aggron, Pory-2 are 2HKOed.
Entire rest of everything is OHKOed.

Porygon-Z @ [Tinted Lens]
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tri-Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Agility
- Nasty Plot

Decent wall breaker with no setup. Amazing with Nasty Plot. Turns into amazing sweeper if you get Nasty and Agility (but that's generally not worth banking on).

[Quiver Dance Venomoth is another neat choice for Adapt/Tinted. Dragalge and Crawdaunt may also be worth thinking about; but Drag is super slow and Craw is super frail so I'm unsure.]

A few days ago I tried to fix a few extra items that were broken (e.g. Miracle Seed wasn't ignoring the attack drop from Burn); a typo meant that I actually ended up breaking Shed Shell. Hopefully they're both now working (I didn't do a direct check because I was only testing against the bot).

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
Bcadren
252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 152-180 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
PorygonZ is walled by something as simple as spdef Clefable, with 95/90 bulk

I'm really hoping this metagame gets through for ototm July. This has IMMENSE potential, and quite frankly it's one of the better ideas out there. I hope to see it soon!

Potential Threats or Annoyances, depending on your Pov (imo) (Will be edited in the future):
Defensive Mew (supported by sticky web if needed) with No Guard, Fur Coat, Or Serene Grace (Zap Cannon, Focus Blast, Rock Slide, Secret Power, etc)
Offensive Mew with Protean (There are of course better potential users of protean, but arguably no one with better coverage)
Tinted Lens or Simple Volcarona

There are like so many Idek how to put up a full list O__O

Bcadren
252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 152-180 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
PorygonZ is walled by something as simple as spdef Clefable, with 95/90 bulk
I used the "Vs. All" option in the calculator which faces against all OU Standard sets. I guess it doesn't have a Clefable with max SpD as a standard set. Has max Def with calm mind; mixed Defensive and Calm Mind Offensive (Tank HP/SpA).

I'm really hoping this metagame gets through for ototm July. This has IMMENSE potential, and quite frankly it's one of the better ideas out there. I hope to see it soon!

Potential Threats or Annoyances, depending on your Pov (imo) (Will be edited in the future):
Defensive Mew (supported by sticky web if needed) with No Guard, Fur Coat, Or Serene Grace (Zap Cannon, Focus Blast, Rock Slide, Secret Power, etc)
Offensive Mew with Protean (There are of course better potential users of protean, but arguably no one with better coverage)
Tinted Lens or Simple Volcarona

There are like so many Idek how to put up a full list O__O
Simple and Fur Coat are banned, but Mew is going to be extremely annoying with No Guard Zap Cannon or Dynamic Punch.

I sure hope there would be a sort of enchanted item clause on this meta, because I don't want to face a No Guard + Dynamic Punch team that can win matches by pure hax.

I've actually pre-emptively modded the Moody and Baton Pass clauses to work with the new items rather than the old ones. This means that if you try to use the Wave Incense it will show up as banned by the Moody Clause (actually there was a bug and it didn't say that but I've fixed that now), while although the combination of Dusk Ball and Baton Pass isn't directly banned, if you have any other stat-boosting move or ability then the Baton Pass clause will block it. I hope that suffices!
Thanks fam. Keep it up!

Anyways, let's make it official. We're going for next months OMOTM and to create discussion, bring forward arguments regarding

We're official considering an Item(Ability) Clause! Restricting you to have two of each items on a team, no more!

Discuss

Last edited:
Aside from the looming trouble of full-team Chatter Dynamic Punch, having an item clause opens up a lot of creativity in the meta.

Having only one or two Mold Breaker setup sweepers per team would create some breathing room for stall or semi-stall in a metagame dominated by damage-boosting abilities.

Full teams with Illusion plus their original abilities have a high chance of being broken, and it's easily resolved by adding a simple item clause.

Also, now you can debate whether your precious Aerilate slot is better on Dragonite or on Noivern. ;)

Last edited:
idk why ability clause wasn't considered from the start. It encourages creative teambuilding for all playstyles and removes potentially busted shit like regen cores or multiple Mold Breaker sweepers

idk why ability clause wasn't considered from the start. It encourages creative teambuilding for all playstyles and removes potentially busted shit like regen cores or multiple Mold Breaker sweepers
No hurry, and for the same reason I didn't quickban Kyurem-B, Dragonite ect. I wasn't sure how the metagame swayed and what would be broken and centralising.

My first though would be that Manaphy, Dragonite and Kyuem-Black would dominate the metagame, the former having the best form of recovery you can have and status immunity. Dragonite having Multiscale and Aerilate making it insanely hard to revenge kill. Kyurem-B finally getting coverage to bypass it's previous counters is amazing.

What I didn't expect was Clefable emerging as an S+ rank threat, dominating the metagame - being able to counter Manaphy, Dragonite, Serperior and many, many more in one slot. I'll consider it for a suspect soon - but for now we're doing Item clause.

Rhyperior and other Filter/Solid rock mons are something to look into. Rhyperior becomes only weak to grass and water when it carries Filter. With that it escapes the 2hko from Adapt Excadrill :o!

Without item clause, I'm envisioning:
  • Paraflinch/fusion spam style teams that stack No Guard + Dynamic Punch/Zap Cannon, with Gale Wings Chatot and Togekiss backing it up with some typespam as well. Nobody enjoys playing against these teams, except maybe when you curbstomp them somehow.
  • Aerilate stacking, which forces you to run probably multiple very solid Flying resists (except they can't succumb to Lando-T's Earthquakes, or Gyarados's Waterfalls, or be specially fragile enough to get haxed by Togekiss, or go without recovery and get worn down, or be hopelessly countered by the Aerilate team's Ice/Rock/Electric-resisting pivot...) or hella bulky teams that can just take the hits neutrally.
  • Illusion gives absolutely no warning about its presence, and thus it's probably only after the second time your wall gets broken by Rotom-Wash that you realize you might be facing an illusion spam team, and then you just gotta guess at whether and how you're being bamboozled. Probably only teams with lots of setup and hazard stacking would thrive against these.
Item Clause will probably do here what it does in every meta with similar X-per-team clauses (such as Species Clause!): prevent the proliferation of hyper-focused off-the-wall strategies that require very specific checks. Fewer teams/teamstyles can turn these playstyle-checks into team players, rather than just "oh fuck, five mons in and I lose to Aerilate spam". The problem isn't necessarily that spam playstyles are too good, but people justifiably don't want to play teams that can handle them -- maybe they want to execute their own strategy, not focus on countering yours -- and spam ends up doing disproportionately well on the ladder.

tl;dr item clause plox

Since Clefable got brought up, I have to ask what other people are running to check bulky setup. I'm running a Haze + Acid Spray Tentacruel that's good at forcing out slower setup sweepers that don't run a super-effective move, and also pulls weight in other situations by spinning rapidly and clicking Scald. I would be more open to running phazing moves if they didn't mean taking a boosted attack first -- something a Haze user never has to worry about. Has anyone else tried out blanket setup checks, or are you just angling to compose your team such that nothing bulky sets up on it?

Note that when I implemented this meta on my server I added the standard Item clause, which only allows one of each item, but it shouldn't be too hard to change it to two.

Item Clause seems like a wise idea. My reasons are as follows:
1. Variety. If we don't put in a item clause we will most likely run across something similar to what we've seen in Anything Goes: Spam, Cheapness, and essentially soulless teams.
2. Predictability. This will actually decrease in a sense, as the -iate, adaptability, serene grace, etc-only teams will not be happening. This will cause creativity to arise, and because of that creativity, it will ensure more creativity. (In order to defeat what may become a common threat that has arisen due to creativity, more creativity will be needed in order to create a defense against it- This will repeat itself and will magnify as time goes on)
3. Thrivability. (sssh I can make up words if I want to, I'm from the writing room :P)- Because of the two things listed above, this ensures that less people will drop out from playing the meta due to frustration from teams that consist only of Serene Grace, -iate, adaptability, and others that I may not be thinking of. Due to creativity being enhanced, this makes it more fun to both create teams and adapt current ones. If we allow teams that consist only of added abilities such as Serene Grace, we force the people playing the meta to compromise their creativity in order to adapt to those kind of threats.

Ilusion is realy strong ability here. Much more if combined with other ability.

Because item clause, now we must run Zoroark for 3 viable Ilusions, but Zoroark itself isn't too bad.
We can even give Zoroark one random (based on the most needed by team) immunity, and making Zoroark copy a pokemon with immunity to other weakness.
For example: Levitate Zoroark can copy Fash Fire Magnezone, being both only weak to Fighting type (what this weaknes can be easly covered by Ilusion Ghost or resistance pokemon. I thinking about resistance only, because Scrappy exist, what ignore Ghosts immunity to Fighting [and also Normal type]).

I test Ilunite (Dragonite with Ilusion) with Blissey for reliable "mask". Because Blissey have Regenerator, nobody expect Dragonite against Special atacker mostly because oponent see full HP blob against his special monster. If oponent didn't know about ilusion, in fight between Blissey VS special atacker nearly always switch into physical one (in the worst scenario oponent use Volt Switch or U-Turn, what break Multiscale, but them still we have turn for setup).

Speaking about Blissey:
I think the strongest combo for this pokemon is definitly Natural Cure + Regenerator combo with Wish-Switch set, being able to heal entire team with the biggest Wishes in game AND still with really huge amount of HP.
If we combine this with strong, Physical wall, even better with immunity OR resistance to Fighting type, This would make them unbeatable.

Talking about immunity to Fighting: I think Cofagrigus on paper looks great, especialy with item Regenerator or Magic Guard/Bounce or bonus immunity. It's even better, when we realize how big nerf gain Knock Off.
Blissey + Cofagrigus have only weaknes to Dark moves, and Scrappy Fighting type. Mummy can handle only natural ability, what is still great, because oponent use second ability based on first one.
Regenerator Cofagrigus have pseudo ability to heal himself, he also can gain healing from Wishes from Blissey. Will-o-Wisp can criple any not-Guts and not-Fire pokemon. With Prankster set, Haze or (again) Will-o-Wisp becomes fantastic answer against (especialy physical) set-up sweapers. In really bad situations, Cofagrigus can use Destiny Bond, what remove in 1 by 1 trade choosen pokemon, who didn't expect Destiny Bond from Tank.

If we really scared about Scrappy Fighting moves, we can take resistance pokemon... and here I have no idea who could be the best partner for Blissey yet, because we have so many options here.

Maybe Clefable with Magic Guard + Unaware combo? With Unaware on item this Fairy can now use Soft-Boiled over Moonlight, or second Wish for helping team when Blissey can't doing this. Also - ignoring stat boosts is nice bonus.

Maybe Slowbro with natural Regenerator? Interesting combo with this ability I could see in Intimidate, making him even more bulky on Physical side. If we want switch a lot of times, this ability will make entire team more bulky against Intimidated oponent on Physical side. This + Prankster Pangoro with Partying Shot, means ultimate shuting down any atacker. Only counters I could see here would be Defiant, Competetive, (natural) Contrary and Clear Body.

Speaking about Pangoro:
In this metagame Pangoro Shine: natural Mold Breaker, Scrappy AND Iron Fist... actually... Let's speak more about Mold Breaker, because this ability is insane combining it with Parting Shot. Ability to lower offensive stats for any pokemon is really viable option.
This pokemon give also great x4 resistance to Dark, x2 to Rock and Ghost and Immunity to Psychic types. Especialy effective when we combine Pangoro with Cofagrigus and Blissey, making them really bulky core. But the best thing about this pokemon is Partying Shot. In normal game, this pokemon didn't have great times to use this move effectivly, because his really low speed stat. With Prankster - He gain this important priority for this move.
What is even better about this pokemon is the fact he have natural acces to Mold Breaker. This means he can pass Magic Bounce on oponent.
We could use on Pangoro also Taunt, what in good prediction can screew status based pokemon. If we prefer even more safe play: Substitute on oponents predicted switch, and them we can deal damage. Or use Taunt: If oponent have Infiltrator, them can't have Prankster (expect oponnet use natural Pranskter OR Infiltrator).
Other important fact about Pangoro, is his masive physical atack, what means he can just knock out some threats. For it he might need Substitute, because still his speed isn't that fantastic, but against Stall? He must be carefull against faster Prankster. Overall - solid pokemon in my opinion.

Long Post. All potentially viable pokemon; based in Pokedex order; GEN I.

(sets with a strikethrough) are valid thoughts for sets, but outclassed completely be a different mon.
Bolded sets/mons are suspected A-tier (central to meta) stuff.
Italicized sets/mons are questionably viable; suspected D-tier.

Venusaur (Overgrow/(Prankster/Flower Veil/Aroma Veil)) - Defensive Subseeder, comparable to Tangrowth.
Venusaur (Chlorophyll/Desolate Land) - Chlorophyll Sweeper, Earthquake
Venusaur (MEGA)

Charizard (Solar Power/Desolate Land) - Harder hitting, but frailer than Mega-Y. Takes similar residual damage to a burn. Consider for wallbreaker or fast/frail sweeper stats, speed tier is poor though.
Charizard (MEGA - X)

Blastoise (Rain Dish/Regenerator) - Defensive Spinner, probably outclassed by Tentacruel in this role, but not non-viable. Offensive stats too low to run a true offensive set, but consider yawn or scald.

Butterfree ( (Tinted Lens/Compound Eyes) / Prankster) - Completely outclassed by Vivillon.
Butterfree ( Tinted Lens / Adaptability ) - Probably too frail to run this set. Consider Venomoth instead.

Raichu (Lightning Rod / Sheer Force) - Sheer Force boosts Thunderbolt and Focus Blast; giving it more offensive presence without needing Nasty Plot setup.
Raichu (Lightning Rod / Compound Eyes) - Makes Thunder and Focus Blast fairly accurate.
Raichu (Lightning Rod / Prankster) - Bit gimmicky, prankster allows ease of setting up sub and getting in a Nasty Plot. set needs to come in vs Stall or Wall to work though as Prankster sub wouldn't help against offensive.

Sandslash (Sand Rush / Regenerator) - Defensive Spinner. Mostly outclassed by Excadrill.

Nidoqueen (Poison Point/(Prankster/Aroma Veil) - Although Nidoqueen can run all of Nidoking's sets, pretty much Nidoqueen's better at a defensive Toxic stall set than King. (Rocks, TSpikes, Sub, Roar).

Nidoking (Sheer Force / Protean) - Self Explanatory, wide variety of wallbreaking coverage moves now with stab.
Nidoking (Sheer Force / Speed Boost) - Improves speed tier to allow it to try to sweep; without Protean/Life Orb it might not hit hard enough to pull this off though.

Clefable ((Magic Guard/Unaware)/(Sheer Force/Protean/Life Orb)) - Offensive CM set. (If Magic Guard you can just run a normal life orb).
Clefable (Magic Guard/(Unaware/Multiscale/(Filter/Solid Rock))) - True Wall Set.
Clefable (Magic Guard/Regenerator) - Wish Passer.
Clefable (Magic Guard/Aroma Veil) - Immunity to Taunt makes it better as a status spreader and at Wish-Tect stall.
Clefable (Magic Guard/(Pixilate/Aerilate/Refrigerate)) - Boost Hyper Voice into something more powerful/accurate than normally available moves. Aerilate in particular would be surprising coverage.

Ninetales (Drought/Chlorophyll) - Fastest thing with Sun + Chlorophyll available. Would want to use NP once and attempt to sweep as long as possible. Hard Countered by Primordial Sea, obviously.
Ninetales ((Drought/Flash Fire)/Magnet Pull) - Trap and setup on steels.
Ninetales (Flash Fire/Prankster) - Will-o-Wisp, Sub Pranks. Probably outclassed by something with WoW and recovery.

Wigglytuff (Competitive/Weak Armour) - Valid thought, but the speed tier is probably too low to be viable.
Wigglytuff (Competitive/Regenerator) - Wish Passer. Consider Blissey or Clefable instead.

Vileplume (Chlorophyll/Desolate Land) - Chlorophyll sweeper, Dazzling Gleam, but no Growth.
Vileplume (Effect Spore/Flame Body) - Double Contact ability physically defensive.
Vileplume (Effect Spore/(Prankster/Flower Veil/Aroma Veil)) - Aromatherapy, Leech Seed Cleric. (Probably outclassed by Blissey, but has unique typing).

Parasect (Dry Skin/Primordial Sea) - Similar recovery to Poison Heal, but fairly bad bulk and double flying weakness. Sub-Seeder.
Parasect (Effect Spore/Prankster) - Prankster Subseeder. Probably outclassed by Breloom. (Can't use other defensive abilities because too frail/slow).

Venomoth (Tinted Lens/Adaptability) - Tinted Lens makes Bug/Poison a perfect stab pair (against all but non-mega Aggron). Adaptability vastly boosts the STAB. Quiver Dance cleaner.

Dugtrio (Arena Trap/Magic Bounce) - Trap a stallmon and wear it down or setup.

Golduck (Swift Swim/Primordial Sea) - Not terrible, but fairly mediocre.
Golduck (Cloud Nine/(Sheer Force/Protean)) - Pseudo-Nidoking (similar library of coverage moves; similar base SpA and Spe tier).

Primeape (Defiant/Weak Armour) - Weak Armour Triggering activates defiant too giving you great Atk and Decent speed. Unfortunately due to bad bulk and speed tier, you'd need to invest in Speed AND bulk to pull this off meaning no attack investment and questionable viability.
Primeape (Defiant/(Speed Boost/Protean)) - Outclassed by Darmanitan and Infernape.

Arcanine (Intimidate/Regenerator) - Intimidate, WoW/Attack leave.
Arcanine (Intimidate/Desolate Land) - Helps offensively and defensively (Better Morning Sun Heals).
Arcanine (Intimidate/Magic Guard) - No Recoil or Rocks damage; Better defensively as well.
Arcanine (Intimidate/(Prankster/Aroma Veil)) - WoW, Sub, Morning Sun; stall set.
Arcanine (Intimidate/Protean) - Better use out of coverage.
Arcanine (Intimidate/Magnet Pull) - Allows revenge-killing steels more easily.
Arcanine (Intimidate/Mold Breaker) - Ignores anything's Flash Fire...mostly for killing Ferrothorn.
Arcanine (Intimidate/Refrigerate) - gets better coverage on ESpeed to revenge kill etc.
Arcanine (Intimidate/Speed Boost) - Attempts to be more of a sweeper than a defensive mon; probably non-viable (too low base attack to sweep).

Poliwrath (Swift Swim/Primordial Sea) - Fast semi bulky but weak or frail, but strong (Belly Drum); Swift Swim user.
Poliwrath (Water Absorb/Prankster) - Rest, Sleep Talk, Circle Throw. Bulky Prankster Phasing. Mostly outclassed by similar Throh set, but has unique typing.

Alakazam (Magic Guard/(Sheer Force/Protean)) - Frail Offensive sets.

Machamp (No Guard/Speed Boost) - Uses Dynamic Punch's confuse to setup (Bulk Up/PuP) and tries to sweep with Speed Boost speed.
Machamp (No Guard/(Hustle/Scrappy)). - Wall-breaking set.

Victreebel (Chlorophyll/Desolate Land) - Compare to Venusaur. Frailer; but harder hitting and gets weatherball.

Tentacruel ((Rain Dish/Liquid Ooze)/Regenerator) - Defensive Spinner.
Tentacruel (Rain Dish/Primodial Sea) - Similar recovery to leftovers and stronger Scald/Hydro Pump; probably inferior to the Defensive set.
Tentacruel (Liquid Ooze/Serene Grace) - Great Scald Burn Chance; can also run Waterfall for flinch, but fairly meh.

Golem ((Rock Head/Sturdy)/ Protean) - Golem's stats are lower than similarly-typed Rhyperior. Only niche it has over it are Sucker Punch and Explosion. Protean gives you STAB in these and gives you better defensive typing until their usage.
Golem ((Rock Head/Sturdy)/ (Refrigerate/Pixilate/Aeilate) - Give Explosion a better typing.

Slowbro (Regenerator/(Natural Cure/Multiscale/Unaware) - Standard defensive Slowbro.
Slowbro (Regenerator/Intimidate) - Increases value of switching in and back out.
Slowbro (Regenerator/Serene Grace) - TWave/Trick Room + Flinch abuse or higher burn chance from Scald.
Slowbro (MEGA)

Dodrio (Tangled Feet/Serene Grace) - This is horrible but I'm adding it so I'm not startled when I see someone using it. Tries to paralyze with Body Slam, then confuse self with Thrash to double own evasion. Yea. No.

Muk (Poison Touch/Speed Boost) - Mostly Inferior to Toxicroak and Garbodor, but STAB Gunk Shot and Poisonchance on all coverage moves.

Cloyster (Skill Link/Technician) - Classic offensive set.
Cloyster (Skill Link/ (Pixilate/Aerilate)) - Gives Spike Cannon a different coverage type.
Cloyster ((Overcoat/Shell Armour)/Regenerator) - Defensive Spinner/Spikes.
Cloyster (Skill Link/(Speed Boost/Mold Breaker)) - Offensive Spinner/Spikes.

Gengar (Levitate/Sheer Force) - Similar offensive potential to normal life orb set without the life orb recoil.
Gengar (Levitate/Prankster) - Prankster Taunt and Destiny Bond.

Hypno ((Insomnia/Inner Focus)/Speed Boost) - Gathers speed and Baton Passes it. Specially Defensive; runs some physical offense (Drain Punch, Zen Headbutt).
Hypno ((Insomnia/Inner Focus)/Prankster) - Prankster helps it Baton Pass Belly Drum or Nasty Plot.

Kingler (Sheer Force/Speed Boost) - Poor Speed Tier, but great variety of physical coverage. Would run SD and get the Speed Boost, boost to pseudo-Dance to get to very high attack and decent speed tier.

Exeggutor (Chlorophyll/Desolate Land) - Probably inferior to Victreebel and Venusaur normally; but the unique typing will give it a niche on some teams.

Hitmonlee (Reckless/Tough Claws) - Offensive Spinner/Wallbreaker.
Hitmonlee (Reckless/Magic Guard) - Mixed Spinner. (Immune to hazard damage and crash damage from HJK; also less powerful than the Tough Claws set).
Hitmonlee ((Reckless/Limber)/Speed Boost) - Attempts to stay in and sweep. Probably inferior to Mega-Lopunny and Mega-Medicham.

Hitmonchan (Iron Fist/Tough Claws) - Bulky Offensive Spinner. Carries Rapid Spin and Drain Punch.

Weezing (Levitate/Prankster) - Too frail to be normally defensive; but Prankster WoW, Pain Split, Taunt, TSpikes can manage to do something. Mostly outclassed by Cofagrigus.

Chansey (Natural Cure/Eviolite) - Normal Chansey. Boosted by KO being rarer in this meta.

Kangaskhan (Scrappy/Speed Boost) - Uses Fake-Out to get a Free Speed Boost and uses Fighting + Normal STAB. Bulkier, but weaker than MLop and doesn't use a mega-slot. Think of as pseudo-MLop.
Kangaskhan (Scrappy/Tough Claws) - Hits harder, but is slower than previous set; consider sucker punch for priority.

Starmie (Natural Cure/Regenerator) - Mixed Spinner (Offensive/Defensive).
Starmie (Analytic/Primordial Sea) - Boosts Hydro Pump/Scald, boosts Thunder's accuracy and may force switches out of mons that like other weathers.
Starmie (Analytic/(Sheer Force/Protean/Adaptability)) - Straight forward offensive spinner

Scyther (Technician/Aerilate) - Technician AND Aerilate boosted Quick Attack should slay after a SD.
Scyther (Technician/Magic Guard) - Standard Scyther with immunity to rocks.
Scyther (Technician/(Refrigerate/Pixilate)) - Coverage choice!

Jynx (Dry Skin/Compound Eyes) - Runs (Lovely Kiss, NP, Blizzard, Focus Blast/Psychic); semi-viable because of the ICE Stab, but fairly poor speed tier.
Jynx (Dry Skin/Snow Warning) - Perfect accuracy Blizzard. Inferior to the compound eyes set in all but the residual damage, however.

Pinsir (Moxie/(Speed Boost/Tough Claws/Protean)) - Mostly inferior to Heracross, but isn't quite as weak to flying. Basic offensive set.
Pinsir (MEGA)

Tauros (Sheer Force/Protean) - Self-explanatory offensive set.
Tauros (Sheer Force/Mold Breaker) - Ignores Levitates and Flash Fire's (Fire Blast to hit Ferro is a popular coverage option).

Gyarados (Moxie/Aerilate) - Gives access to flying stab and boosts attack on KOs.
Gyarados ((Intimidate/Moxie)/(Volt Absorb/Motor Drive)) - Covers the electric weakness (and heals/boosts speed when foe tries to hit you with it). Can be defensive or offensive (use to setup DD).
Gyarados (Intimidate/Regenerator) - Defensive switch in/out. Probably outclassed by Intimidate Slowbro.

Lapras (Hydration/Primordial Sea) - Rest only taking one turn gives you amazing bulk opening up a lot of viable sets, DD + Waterfall, Perish Trap, Normal Specially Offensive (though save Freeze Dry Special Lapras < Manaphy).
Lapras (Water Absorb/No Guard) - Perfect accuracy Sleep (Sing) and Blizzard.

Ditto (Imposter/ (Speed Boost/Unaware/Filter/Tinted Lens)) - Ditto wants to use an ability that makes it better than the thing it copies (Faster, ignore foe's stat boosts while they deal with yours; able to hit a foe with stab that can only use coverage on itself, etc.).
NOTE: Imposter/Infiltrator will NOT allow you to copy the foe through a sub.

Vaporeon (Hydration/Primordial Sea) - Besides it's use as a cleric (Wish/Heal Bell); it's inferior to Manaphy; but the Wish/Heal Bell is enough to be a niche.

Jolteon ((Quick Feet/Volt Absorb)/(Refrigerate/Pixilate/Aerilate)) - Choice Coverage Hyper Voice. Refrigerate is probably the best new coverage choice; the other two can startle some players though.
Jolteon ((Quick Feet/Volt Absorb)/Sheer Force) - Boosts power of Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball.

Flareon (Guts/Prankster) - Unique typing for guts mons; Rest/Talk with prankster makes up for speed tier.

Omastar (Swift Swim/Primordial Sea) - Super Fast Special Sweeper.
Omastar (Weak Armour/Competitive) - Foe sets you up by hitting you. (+2 SpA, -1 Def, +1 Spe)
Omastar (Shell Armour/ (Storm Drain/Levitate/Sap Sipper/(Sturdy/Sash))) - Defensive ability to help Shell Smash Sweep.

Kabutops (Swift Swim/Primordial Sea) - Fast Physical Sweeper. (Swords Dance Setup).
Kabutops (Weak Armour/Defiant) - Foe sets you up by hitting you. (+2 Atk, -1 Def, +1 Spe)
Kabutops (Battle Armour/Sap Sipper) - Defensive ability to that boosts attack. Allows to bait grasses (X-Scissor).

Aerodactyl (Rock Head/Aerilate) - Fast Frail Revenge killer/Cleaner. (Competes with Talonflame (similar usage)).
Aerodactyl (MEGA)

Snorlax (Thick Fat/Serene Grace) - Paraflinch Abuse.
Snorlax (Thick Fat/(Magic Bounce/Flame Body)) - True Defensive set.
Snorlax (Immunity/Water Veil) - NO Burns/Poison!
Snorlax (Thick Fat/Scrappy) - Make Fighting/Normal perfect coverage.
Snorlax (Thick Fat/Early Bird) - Shorter Rests eliminates the need for sleep talk and better CurseLax.
Snorlax (Thick Fat/Prankster) - Prankster Sleep Talk to improve the speed tier.

Articuno (Snow Cloak/(Magic Guard/Filter)) - Fairly low viability. With Magic Guard works as a Defogger, otherwise decent special wall/attacker with bad defensive (but good offensive) typing.

Zapdos (Static/Flame Body) - Two contact abilities make for a good chance of disabling a foe that touches you.
Zapdos (Pressure/No Guard) - Uses Zap Cannon.
Zapdos (Static/(Regenerator/Magic Guard)) - Makes a more solid defogger/defensive mon.
Zapdos (Static/Delta Stream) - Removes weaknesses.

Moltres (Flame Body/Static) - Two contact abilities make for a good chance of disabling a foe that touches you.
Moltres (Flame Body/Magic Guard) - Deals with Stealth Rock.
Moltres (Flame Body/No Guard) - Hurricane doesn't miss.
Moltres (Flame Body/Gale Wings) - Priority Hurricane.

Dragonite (Multiscale/Delta Stream) - Defensive.
Dragonite (Multiscale/Aerilate) - STAB ESpeed.
Dragonite (Multiscale/Tough Claws) - Boosts most Dragonite moves.
Dragonite (Multiscale/Protean) - STAB in a variety of coverage moves.
Dragonite (Multiscale/Primordial Sea) - Hurricane and Thunder.
Dragonite (Multiscale/Magic Guard) - Guarantees max HP on switch in prevents toxic damage.

Mew (Synchronize/Natural Cure) - Ultimate Status Absorption.
Mew (Synchronize/Prankster) - Variety of utility, WoW; Transform; Defog; Sub/Roost
Mew (Synchronize/Magic Bounce) - Ultimate switch in/defensive pivot.

Last edited:
A few things

Compound Eyes should be No Guard for things with moves Eyes doesn't boost to 100%

Gengar can use Normalize + Skill Swap

Protean/Sheer Force lure Mew seems pretty good
Actually, it would just swap Levitate onto the opponent, though it could use Trick+Burn Drive(Normalize)

Last edited:
Actually, it would just swap Levitate onto the opponent, though it could use Trick+Burn Drive(Normalize)
It's not true. You can't do this because items (what give abilities) canot be removed in any way.
BUT I can see for Gengar (or any other Ghost with natural Levitate/Flash Fire) item for (based on natural ability) Levitate/Flash Fire.
Alternativly we might prefer with this defensive combo Chandelure (Levitate remove one weaknes on Chandelure, where Gengar just is unburnable by Fire moves and gain new immunity).
Gengar could be better choise only against Scrappy users of Fighting moves, but to be honest... Gengar isn't great tank... It's harder kill pokemon with added immunity, but even better could be set with boosting damage ability.

This might be viable clearly because we would want make Steel type wihout + Levitate/Flash Fire, and instead give for that Steel type maybe other alternative ability.
Bisharp, for example, could run Defiant + Weak Armor combo,
Skarmory (even when take normal damage from fighting type) - Sturdy + Volt Absorb or Regenerator (Let's recover into full HP for Sturdy!),
Steelix - Sturdy + Water Absorb (?) or Regenerator (looks Skarmory),
Klefki (again - normal damage from Fighting type, but immunity is just usefull) - Prankster + Magic Bounce(?) or Aroma Veil(?) or Ilusion(?)... here actually I have no idea what could be on extra immunity place...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)