Ubers Eruption Primal Groudon (QC 1/1) (GP 1/1)

LBDC

From Eu to the Mont-Saint-Michel
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb
- Eruption

The combination of Desolate Land and Primal Groudon's high Special Attack transforms Eruption into a nuke when Primal Groudon is at full health, giving this set immense wallbreaking power! Due to Eruption's sheer power, this set isn't countered by common Flying-types and Arceus-Ground, unlike Primal Groudon's classic Stealth Rock + Swords Dance set. This set even has tools to beat Fire-resistant Pokemon; for example, Primal Groudon can bypass Arceus-Water with +2 Precipice Blades. A Stealth Rock setter such as Necrozma-DM or Arceus-Fairy would be a useful partner, as Primal Groudon likes to have hazard support to help it wallbreak. However, this set cannot take on Xerneas due to its poor bulk, so a check or revenge killer for Xerneas, such as Necrozma-DM or Arceus, is appreciated. Although it performs very well versus bulky teams, Primal Groudon needs help against offensive teams, so Arceus, Marshadow, and Yveltal are all good partners due to their priority.

Last edited:
My feedback barely holds any relevance by now but I just wanted to say a few things as a person who has done this before;

FB Spotlight doesn’t really serve as a writing that is meant to sound too much like analyses. Taking a quick look around the subforum and the published spotlights section should give you an idea about how this should be done. If people were to read spotlight that goes over move by move and just awkwardly slaps teammates at the end (especially without explanations about why they fit well and how do they help the Pokemon in question), they would rather go read an analysis in the dex site.

There has been a facebook spotlight about Primal Groudon in the past (but with a different set), and also Primal Groudon is something that arguably has the most number of viable sets in the tier, so explaining how does this wallbreaking set differ from other sets will be nice (explaining damage output against airborne foes like Giratina-O and Salamence, and more). Teammates will also have to be a little specified to have more solid backups for Xerneas and Primal Kyogre. Like most spotlights do, explaining about entry hazard support seems like an acceptable addition here as well.

The fun part comes in where you have to include the information within limited number of characters, and this won’t be easy especially without much experience, so don’t be afraid to talk to QC guys and I don’t know how they are doing right now. Good luck.

This still reads a lot like a simplified analysis when it should be a more generalized statement about the set's ability in the tier to a more casual audience. Mentions of calculations and dex influenced statements are generally "too technical" for this kinda thing as I understand things go here. This thread should help you out.

LBDC

is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, my bad, i will do that as soon as possible.

Edit : I rewrote first part of the spotlight, maybe that it is better like this.

16/07 edit : i' will have inconsistent connexion so it is normal if i take some time to answer.
(I don't think that I should rewrote the second part, it seems ok part. however, I'm ready to rewrite this, if it's necessary. )

Last edited:
I think the content is along the right lines but I think there should be some mention of checks to Primal Kyogre, although the character limit is a real constraint here. I'd probably remove the "The latter can also take the Dragon type if is necessary." part as its not too relevant to Groudon itself and spotlights are short on space. I'm also a bit wary of mentioning hazard support here without mentioning what it helps with (50% OHKO on Arceus-Ground, 2HKOs Arceus-Water), but that's reaching analysis territory.... maybe just go with "hazard support helps to OHKO neutral targets and 2HKO resistances".

I think this should look fine after GP, but ping me to double check it before its fully finished because its an important set in the current meta.

QC 1/1

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
Groudon @ Red Orb
Mild Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb
- Eruption

The combination of Desolate Land and base 150 Special attack, Attack transforms full powered Eruption into a one nuke when Primal Ground is at full health, giving at this set immense wallbreaking power! Due to Eruption's sheer power, this set isn't countered by common flying Flying-types and Arceus-Ground, unlike Primal Groudon's classic SR+SD Stealth Rock + Swords Dance (i'm assuming this is what the set stands for). Even against Fire-resists Fire-resistant Pokemon, the this set has weapons against them, (RC); (AS) for example, Arceus-Water cannot beat Primal-Groudon thanks to Swords Dance (this is a very broad statement, i suggest that you elaborate on why swords dance makes arceus-water unable to beat p groudon because i'm not too sure myself). A Stealth Rock setters is useful partners such as Necrozma-DM or Arceus-Fairy would be a useful partner, indeed this set as Primal Groudon likes to have hazard support, it helps to helping it OHKO neutral targets and 2HKO resistances (resistances to what?), (RC) and overall, it help helping it wallbreaking. Two examples include Necrozma-DM, Arceus-Fairy. This However, (AC) this set has poor defensive utility, (AC) so a others check or revenge killer to for Xerneas, like Necrozma-DM or Arceus, is appreciated (i suggest explaining why you would need something for xerneas, you seem to somewhat imply it but not explain it). Although this set it performs very well versus bulky teams, Primal Groudon needs help against offensive teams this set need help. Arceus, Marshadow, and Yveltal is are all good partners (connect this sentence to the one before, what makes these pokemon good to take care of offensive teams?).
Tag me once this is implemented. No stamp quite yet; I'd like to look at this one last time after you put in the check.

Last edited:

LBDC

Estronic implemented thank you, however it was above of 1000 characters, so i have cut little this spotlight, i hope that is fine.
(i assuming that when you said "Primal Ground" on your first line, you talking about "Primal-Groudon")

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove
Groudon @ Red Orb
Mild Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb
- Eruption

The combination of Desolate Land and base 150 Special Attack transforms Eruption into a nuke when Primal Groudon is at full health, giving this set immense wallbreaking power! Due to Eruption's sheer power, this set isn't countered by common Flying-types and Arceus-Ground, unlike Primal Groudon's classic Stealth Rock + Swords Dance set. Even against Fire-resistant Pokemon, this set has weapons against them; for example, (AC) Primal Groudon can bypass Arceus-Water with Swords Dance followed by boosted Precipice Blades boosted by Swords Dance. A Stealth Rock setter such as Necrozma-DM or Arceus-Fairy would be a useful partner, as Primal Groudon likes to have hazard support, (RC) to helping it wallbreak. However, this set cannot take on Xerneas due at to its poor bulk, so a check or revenge killer for Xerneas, like such as Necrozma-DM or Arceus, is appreciated. Although it performs very well versus bulky teams, Primal Groudon needs help against offensive teams, so Arceus, Marshadow, and Yveltal are all good partners with due to their priority.
1/1 :blobthumbsup:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
i can still see a few big things to change before this goes out so i hope you don't mind if i just add on to the above check, real quick
estronic:
add remove
me:
add remove
Groudon @ Red Orb
Mild Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb
- Eruption

The combination of Desolate Land and base 150 Primal Groudon's high Special Attack transforms Eruption into a nuke when Primal Groudon is at full health, giving this set immense wallbreaking power! Due to Eruption's sheer power, this set isn't countered by common Flying-types and Arceus-Ground, unlike Primal Groudon's classic Stealth Rock + Swords Dance set. Even against Fire-resistant Pokemon, this set has weapons against them This set even has tools to beat Fire-resistant Pokemon; for example, (AC) Primal Groudon can bypass Arceus-Water with Swords Dance followed by boosted +2 Precipice Blades. A Stealth Rock setter such as Necrozma-DM or Arceus-Fairy would be a useful partner, as Primal Groudon likes to have hazard support, (RC) to helping it wallbreak. However, this set cannot take on Xerneas due at to its poor bulk, so a check or revenge killer for Xerneas, like such as Necrozma-DM or Arceus, is appreciated. Although it performs very well versus bulky teams, Primal Groudon needs help against offensive teams, so Arceus, Marshadow, and Yveltal are all good partners with due to their priority.

GP 2/1 once this is implemented, Estronic's check is included so you can just implement this one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)