Espeon (OU) [Done]

wyc2333

A=X+Y+Z Y: Hard Work
[OVERVIEW]
Thanks to its access to Growth, amazing Special Attack, and high Speed, Espeon can set up and either try to sweep or use Baton Pass to support another special attacker, which can turn manageable threats into devastating powerhouses in the blink of an eye. With a pure Psychic typing, Morning Sun, and STAB Psychic, it threatens dangerous Pokemon such as Gengar, Machamp, Nidoking, and Tentacruel, which offensive teams sometimes struggle with.

However, Espeon is too fragile to take physical attacks from Snorlax, the most dominant Pokemon in GSC OU. In addition, status afflictions such as paralysis from Thunder Wave will compromise its potential. Furthermore, its movepool isn't ideal, which makes it hard to sweep without having the correct Hidden Power for Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Forretress.

[SET]
name: Sweeper
move 1: Growth
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Morning Sun
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
This set is usually seen late-game and is especially dangerous against a sleeping Snorlax because of Growth and STAB Psychic. Hidden Power Water covers two common threats: Tyranitar and Steelix. It also does decent damage to Houndoom, Golem, and Rhydon. Alternatively, Hidden Power Fire deters Forretress and hits targets such as Skarmory, Exeggutor, Steelix, and Jynx relatively hard, but it doesn't touch Tyranitar. With the combination of high Speed, STAB Psychic, and a pure Psychic typing, which resists Fighting-type attacks while not being weak to Earthquake, Morning Sun allows Espeon to provide a typical offensive team with a solid answer to dangerous threats such as Machamp, Gengar, and Nidoking so long as one of its teammates have already been put to sleep.

Team Options
========
Machamp and Espeon have both offensive and defensive synergistic qualities. Both of them can also put pressure on key common Pokemon such as Snorlax, Zapdos, Raikou, and Skarmory if given a setup opportunity, and if Machamp can weaken Zapdos or Espeon can weaken Snorlax or Raikou, the other will have a better chance at finding an opportunity at setting up a sweep. Defensively, Machamp checks Steelix and Dark-types such as Tyranitar, while, thanks to Morning Sun, Espeon deals with Gengar, Nidoking, and Tentacruel.

Snorlax can use Self-Destruct to take out opposing Snorlax. Its coverage and status moves can also be used to weaken Espeon's other checks such as Tyranitar and Steelix. Gengar runs moves such as Destiny Bond, Explosion, Hypnosis, and Dynamic Punch to cripple special walls, Steelix, and Dark-type Pokemon, against which Espeon has a hard time. Tyranitar attracts Machamp and Nidoking so that Espeon can come in comfortably and get a setup opportunity. In return, Tyranitar takes care of Explosion and Self-Destruct users, Jynx, and the rare Houndoom, which Espeon struggles with. Steelix can answer some variants of Snorlax and Tyranitar that stop Espeon, such as Curse RestTalk variants. In addition, it can paralyze or remove Skarmory and Exeggutor with Body Slam or Explosion, which helps Espeon. Cloyster can lay Spikes, check Steelix, and take down Starmie, while Espeon checks Tentacruel. Zapdos counters Skarmory, absorbs Sleep Powder from Exeggutor, and can force Snorlax to use Rest, which Espeon can take advantage of.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 3: Baton Pass
move 4: Morning Sun / Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Fire

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Espeon is among the more difficult Growth passers to deal with defensively. With Growth and Baton Pass, Vaporeon can be stopped by Roar Suicune and Jolteon can be stopped by Roar Raikou. However, +1 Psychic from Espeon can 3HKO both of them and has a high chance of 2HKOing Raikou after Spikes, and Espeon has access to instant recovery. Skarmory can phaze Espeon, but Espeon can just hit it with +1 Psychic until it is forced to use Rest, so it will not stop Espeon from using Baton Pass in the long run. In addition, Baton Pass allows Espeon to escape from Pursuit damage.

When it comes to the last slot, Morning Sun makes Espeon last longer while giving it great defensive value because it can handle dangerous threats such as Machamp, Gengar, and Nidoking. While dropping Morning Sun means that Espeon loses instant recovery and has to be more cautious about when it comes in, Hidden Power can be used to hit phazers; Hidden Power Water covers phazers such as Tyranitar, Steelix, Houndoom, Golem, and Rhydon, while Hidden Power Fire hits Skarmory and Steelix relatively hard.

Team Options
========

Zapdos and Raikou make great recipients as long as the opponent doesn't have Roar Raikou, and the threat these two pose can force the opposing Pokemon to use Explosion. Nidoking is one of the most dangerous recipients due to its access to Lovely Kiss and ability to succeed against Tyranitar. Gengar is a good recipient if the opposing Snorlax doesn't have Earthquake or Lovely Kiss. In addition, it becomes much easier to land Explosion on the target you are seeking if Gengar has a boost. Furthermore, Gengar is immune to Normal-type attacks that might be aimed at Espeon or its other potential recipients. Tyranitar not only resists Normal-type attacks but also can become very dangerous after a boost, though this depends on the opposing lineup and its moveset. Machamp is not much of a receiver, but it is still a useful teammate for threatening Snorlax and Dark-types and potentially benefiting from Growth with Fire Blast. Jynx is the Pokemon that is most likely to sweep after receiving a boost, even if its typing has no defensive merit alongside Espeon. Fire-type Pokemon such as Entei can take advantage of Umbreon, Skarmory, and Jynx and will be dangerous when boosted because teams often forgo answers to Fire-type Pokemon due to their rarity. Since Espeon without Hidden Power Water loses to Roar Tyranitar, moves such as Earthquake from Snorlax and Destiny Bond or Dynamic Punch from Gengar can be considered to lure in and remove the behemoth early-game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Substitute is a potent option that is especially effective when used in tandem with paralysis support. It can block status from Pokemon such as Umbreon, exploit the low accuracy of Thunder from the likes of Zapdos, shut down Exeggutor, and scout for Explosion from Pokemon like Forretress, but replacing Morning Sun for it will reduce its capacity to function as a check to Pokemon such as Gengar and Machamp. Bite is a decent option to hit Pokemon such as Exeggutor, Starmie, Jynx, Alakazam, and opposing Espeon, but it doesn't cover Steelix like Hidden Power Water and Hidden Power Fire. If it is used alongside Hidden Power Water, Espeon will have solid coverage, but Espeon typically benefits more from having Substitute or Morning Sun. Toxic can be used to wear down problematic Pokemon such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, Starmie, Exeggutor, and Jynx, but since Espeon is often a late-game Pokemon, Toxic damage racks up relatively slowly. Finally, Reflect is somewhat useful against Explosion users and unboosted Snorlax, but it is difficult to fit and is hard to justify over Espeon's other utility options such as Morning Sun and Substitute.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Snorlax and Blissey can easily take Espeon's attacks and retaliate with strong attacks or status moves. The former frightens Espeon with its STAB moves, while the latter threatens Espeon with Present. Although Snorlax cannot stop Baton Pass, it can usually force Espeon to Baton Pass and threaten most recipients. However, without Present, Blissey is setup fodder for Espeon, though it can run Light Screen to potentially outlast recipients.

**Dark-types**: Toxic Umbreon is one of the best answers to Espeon without Baton Pass, but it is one of the worst answers to Espeon with Baton Pass. Crunch from Tyranitar and to a lesser extent Houndoom can 2HKO Espeon and both also have access to Roar to phaze it, but +1 Hidden Power Water has a decent chance to 2HKO both Pokemon after damage from Spikes.

**Steel-types**: Forretress can threaten Espeon with Explosion or Toxic, Steelix can remove it with Explosion or phaze it with Roar, and Skarmory can cripple it with Toxic or phaze it with Whirlwind. However, all of them, especially Forretress, will be hurt by Hidden Power Fire and boosted STAB Psychic. Steelix will also be worn down by Hidden Power Water.

**Psychic-types**: Exeggutor, Starmie, Jynx, and Alakazam can cripple Espeon with status moves. Exeggutor threatens it with Stun Spore and Sleep Powder, Starmie threatens it with Thunder Wave, and Jynx threatens it with Lovely Kiss and Ice Beam. In addition, Exeggutor has Explosion to potentially trade with Espeon, and Alakazam can dominate Espeon with Encore. However, Espeon has Morning Sun to shrug off most of their attacks, Exeggutor and Jynx should be wary of Hidden Power Fire, and only Encore Alakazam can prevent it from using Baton Pass.

**Electric-types**: Raikou and Zapdos tend to lose to Espeon if they switch in as it uses Growth, but they may be able to paralyze or phaze it to prevent a sweep. Espeon has reasonably good odds of 2HKOing Zapdos with +1 Psychic whereas Zapdos rarely 2HKOes it in return with Thunder, although Thunder's paralysis rate makes it very dangerous to Espeon.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[wyc2333, 336830]]
- Quality checked by: [[M Dragon, 21345], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [kt3, 228482]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Not a QC since I'm not on the team, but here are my thoughts:

Thanks to Growth, amazing Special Attack, and high Speed, Espeon acts as a dangerous sweeper. Furthermore, its STAB Psychic threatens Pokemon such as Gengar, Machamp, Nidoking, and Tentacruel. However, Espeon's physical bulk is too fragile to take attacks from Pokemon like Snorlax, which is the most dominant Pokemon in GSC OU. It also should be wary of status afflictions, which will comprise its potential.
Maybe give a slight mention of Pokemon that wall it, and maybe even some things it can help against for offensive teams (Machamp, Nidoking, Gengar to name a few).

[SET]
name: Growth
move 3: Morning Sun
move 4: Hidden Power Water
When talking about Espeon sets, Baton Pass is the first thing that comes to mind. I would definitely slash it on here. Substitute also deserves a mention IMO.
Besides, Hidden Power Fire deters Forretress and hits targets such as Skarmory, Exeggutor, Steelix, and Jynx relatively hard. Substitute blocks status from Pokemon such as Umbreon, exploits the overuse of Thunder PP from the likes of Zapdos, shuts down Exeggutor, scouts Explosion, and eases prediction. Baton Pass gives Espeon's boost to a teammate that attempts to sweep.
This should all be in other options if it's not on the main set.

Bite is an option to hit Pokemon such as Exeggutor, Starmie, Jynx, Alakazam, and opposing Espeon. Toxic wears down threats such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, Starmie, Exeggutor, and Jynx.
You need to say why these aren't as common choices as the main options (I think).

Gengar runs Destiny Bond or Explosion to cripple special walls, Steelix, and Dark-type Pokemon.
Would mention Dynamic Punch here too as a lure for Tyranitar.

Team Options
If we're going the BP route (which I think we should be), some potent Special attackers are a great option like Gengar, Raikou and Zapdos (can mention others if you want). Something to BP into the Dark-types would be good too.

**Steel-types**: Forretress and Steelix threatens Espeon with Explosion, but the latter can be worn down by Hidden Power Water. Skarmory may phaze Espeon out, but it can't do much damage to stop Espeon.
Should probably mention that neither like HP Fire.

Machamp checks special walls such as Snorlax
Not too sure about this one since you wouldn't really throw Machamp into Lax.

and by a small margin Alakazam
What makes it a small margin?

wyc2333

Not a QC since I'm not on the team, but here are my thoughts:

Maybe give a slight mention of Pokemon that wall it, and maybe even some things it can help against for offensive teams (Machamp, Nidoking, Gengar to name a few).

When talking about Espeon sets, Baton Pass is the first thing that comes to mind. I would definitely slash it on here. Substitute also deserves a mention IMO.

This should all be in other options if it's not on the main set.

You need to say why these aren't as common choices as the main options (I think).

Would mention Dynamic Punch here too as a lure for Tyranitar.

If we're going the BP route (which I think we should be), some potent Special attackers are a great option like Gengar, Raikou and Zapdos (can mention others if you want). Something to BP into the Dark-types would be good too.

Should probably mention that neither like HP Fire.

Not too sure about this one since you wouldn't really throw Machamp into Lax.

in the early game, champ can be thrown into by prediction such as doubling or predicting rest like SPL X Week 7 [RAID] Mr.378 vs Lavos [RUIN], though there may not be a direct connection between machamp and espeon

What makes it a small margin?

i think alakazam's usage makes it a small margin. anyway, i will fix it

Great analysis, congratulations.

I know it's nitpicky, but I think that Baton Pass and Substitute should swap places in the current slashes, which means the set should look more like this:

move 3: Morning Sun / Baton Pass
move 4: Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Fire / Substitute

I think that a BP Espeon could drop Substitute in favor of an HP to threaten phazers such as Skarmory, Steelix, and / or Tyranitar, which would otherwise come in without much trouble and ruin its job. On the other hand, I would never run Substitute on a Baton Pass less Espeon since Espy its frail and the sub will break easily, although you listed a good amount of scenarios in which Sub can be very useful, I would value Morning Sun and coverage more.

Maybe mention that Baton Pass allows Espeon to escape safely from Pursuit. This could appear in the Dark-types C&C section as well.

I'm not from QC so you may not need to implement any this. Once again, good job.

wyc2333

sub+ morning sun seems awkward. i have made the set look like this:
move 3: Morning Sun / Substitute / Baton Pass
move 4: Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Fire / Baton Pass
ig morning sun + bp may be reasonable like The Smogon Classic IV Bomber vs. M Dragon
btw i have watched some replays where espeon teams won and here they are:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
wyc2333 Regarding your Machamp comment, that's very contextual. You have to be very certain that Snorlax is Resting, if it even has Rest that is. Doubling Machamp in early with Spikes down on your own side means that you have a lot more difficulty in trying to take on Zapdos. What Machamp gives Espeon is being able to be Baton Passed into on Tyranitar. It can also muscle past some threats like Skarmory and Zapdos for Espeon, while Espeon takes on Gengar, Nidoking, etc.

wyc2333

wyc2333 Regarding your Machamp comment, that's very contextual. You have to be very certain that Snorlax is Resting, if it even has Rest that is. Doubling Machamp in early with Spikes down on your own side means that you have a lot more difficulty in trying to take on Zapdos. What Machamp gives Espeon is being able to be Baton Passed into on Tyranitar. It can also muscle past some threats like Skarmory and Zapdos for Espeon, while Espeon takes on Gengar, Nidoking, etc.
i didn't comment well enough. champ is a check but not a counter to lax, so it won't be thrown into lax most of the time. another situation is that lax is asleep and champ switches in like this https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-301529

Last edited:

wyc2333

there are a lot of slashes in this set. idk whether i should separate it into two different sets: Baon Pass and Growth Sweeper

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]
Furthermore, its movepool isn't ideal, so walls such as Forretress resist Psychic, which makes it hard to sweep.
This sentence could be improved by saying something about depending on having the correct Hidden Power for the different Pokemon that resist Psychic.

Finally, it should be wary of status afflictions that will comprise its potential.
This should be compromise.

I would also perhaps try to fit in a mention of Morning Sun and Baton Pass in the overview. e.g. Access to Baton Pass makes dealing with Espeon even more difficult... that kind of thing.

[SET]
name: Growth
move 3: Morning Sun / Substitute / Baton Pass
move 4: Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Fire / Baton Pass
I think this is fine as is.

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Growth strengthens Espeon's outstanding Special Attack, which tactics such as Charm and Growl won't affect. Psychic is Espeon's STAB attack and after boosts, it even hits Pokemon such as Skarmory hard.
I don't think the first sentence is needed or at least not the Growl/Charm bit. You can probably combine these two sentences.

Its added possibility to lower its target's Special Defense is also notable.
While I don't disagree, I think this sentence is unnecessary.

I would then put the coverage move explanation here.

Morning Sun gives Espeon longevity. Even if Espeon takes some damage and is phazed out, it can get instant recovery.
Here I think you can go into some interesting detail instead of this very generic explanation. You can mention how Espeon's typing sports weaknesses only to less common attacking types, which allows it to switch into attackers that rely on super effective coverage such as Gengar, Nidoking, and even Machamp and it can use Morning Sun in case it needs to heal off the damage.

Then I would use a connecting phrase to say what you would gain and what you would lose by using its other options over Morning Sun. e.g. While dropping Morning Sun means Espeon needs to be more cautious about when it switches in, Substitute can be used to...

Baton Pass gives Espeon's boost to a teammate that attempts to sweep and allows Espeon to escape from Pursuit damage.
This is not terrible but I think you should give basic examples of recipients here. e.g. Zapdos, Tyranitar, Gengar, Nidoking, etc. I would also mention phazers here and how Espeon can hit many of them hard, especially with HP Water on the set. Other Growth passers somewhat struggle with this (e.g. Jolteon can't hit Raikou that hard, Vap can't hit Suicune even though Roar Cune is uncommon atm).

Team Options
========
Since Espeon is a sweeper, it needs support to weaken its checks and counters. With access to Earthquake, Fire-type attacks, and Surf, Snorlax wears down Tyranitar and Steel-type Pokemon.
No need to mention Surf here I think, it's not common enough on Lax.

Machamp checks special walls such as Snorlax, Dark-type threats such as Tyranitar, and Steel-type Pokemon such as Steelix, while Espeon takes on Gengar, Nidoking, and Tentacruel for Machamp.
I don't really like this too much, since Machamp especially often wants to avoid switching directly into Snorlax, and Espeon doesn't want to take attacks if it isn't the Morning Sun variant. I would perhaps instead focus on some more detailed aspects of how they can support each other. For example, Espeon might be able to help weaken Snorlax so that Machamp can switch in on Rest, which could set both up for a sweep. Machamp and Espeon both strongly benefit from Zapdos being removed, which either can achieve for the other with their decent chances of 2HKOing after a single boost. HP Bug Machamp can potentially trade or outright remove Exeggutor for HP Water Espeon. They can overwhelm Skarmory together. Both benefit from the difficulty in walling the other.

Gengar runs Destiny Bond, Explosion, or Dynamic Punch to cripple special walls, Steelix, and Dark-type Pokemon. Steelix pivots some variants of Snorlax and Tyranitar.
These are both very true and they are indeed good partners. However, I think you should change the sentences slightly to explicitly mention Espeon, e.g. adding "for Espeon" or "which Espeon has trouble against" etc. Also, pivots is probably not the right word, I would just say "can switch into" or "can take on" etc.

If Baton Pass is used, potent receivers such as Gengar, Zapdos, and Nidoking can be considered.
I would list Tyranitar and also go briefly into the benefits of using them. I am also wondering if there are any Fire-types that could benefit.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Although Bite is an option to hit Pokemon such as Exeggutor, Starmie, Jynx, Alakazam, and opposing Espeon, it doesn't cover Steelix like Hidden Power Water and Hidden Power Fire.
I'd mention the possibility of using it alongside HP Water as that would give it decent coverage against almost everything. I don't think it would be justifiable otherwise.

Toxic wears down threats such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, Starmie, Exeggutor, and Jynx, but since Espeon is often a late-game Pokemon, Toxic damage racks up relatively slowly.
I haven't seen this used ever but I might try it, I have some ideas.

I think Reflect might be worth consideration with all the RestTalk 2 attack Snorlax around.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Dark-types**: Umbreon hits Espeon with Toxic, but Substitute blocks every move from Umbreon. Even if Espeon is affected by Toxic, it can switch out to change into status of normal poison. Tyranitar and to a lesser extent Houndoom lure Espeon down with Dark-type attacks, but they should be wary of Hidden Power Water.
I'd say "blocks Toxic and is not broken by Pursuit". I'd remove the normal poison mention, normal poison also sucks for Espeon. I don't know what you mean by "lure Espeon down", are they corrupting it somehow? I think you want to mention that Crunch is useful to have for Espeon and mention some XHKOs because it's an important and sometimes deceptive matchup.

**Steel-types**: Forretress and Steelix threatens Espeon with Explosion, but the latter can be worn down by Hidden Power Water. Skarmory may phaze Espeon out, but it can't do much damage to stop Espeon. Anyway, all of them will be hurt by Hidden Power Fire.
+1 Psychic also hurts these, also Skarmory and Forretress often threaten to hit it with Toxic.

**Psychic-types**: Exeggutor, Starmie, Jynx, and Alakazam can cripple Espeon with status moves. In particular, Exeggutor threatens Espeon with Explosion and Alakazam has access to Encore. However, Espeon has decent special bulk and Morning Sun to take most of their attacks.
Exeggutor and Jynx threaten it very heavily with their status moves. I think the use of "in particular" is perhaps confusing me here, it may be better to use something like "In addition," since Explosion isn't a status move. You should also mention Substitute Espeon.

I would also discuss Zapdos and Raikou here. They are often used as checks or have to fight Espeon, even though they don't do a great job at fighting it when switching in on Growth.

Once implemented I will review again.

wyc2333

This sentence could be improved by saying something about depending on having the correct Hidden Power for the different Pokemon that resist Psychic.

This should be compromise.

I would also perhaps try to fit in a mention of Morning Sun and Baton Pass in the overview. e.g. Access to Baton Pass makes dealing with Espeon even more difficult... that kind of thing.

I think this is fine as is.

I don't think the first sentence is needed or at least not the Growl/Charm bit. You can probably combine these two sentences.

While I don't disagree, I think this sentence is unnecessary.

I would then put the coverage move explanation here.

Here I think you can go into some interesting detail instead of this very generic explanation. You can mention how Espeon's typing sports weaknesses only to less common attacking types, which allows it to switch into attackers that rely on super effective coverage such as Gengar, Nidoking, and even Machamp and it can use Morning Sun in case it needs to heal off the damage.

Then I would use a connecting phrase to say what you would gain and what you would lose by using its other options over Morning Sun. e.g. While dropping Morning Sun means Espeon needs to be more cautious about when it switches in, Substitute can be used to...

This is not terrible but I think you should give basic examples of recipients here. e.g. Zapdos, Tyranitar, Gengar, Nidoking, etc. I would also mention phazers here and how Espeon can hit many of them hard, especially with HP Water on the set. Other Growth passers somewhat struggle with this (e.g. Jolteon can't hit Raikou that hard, Vap can't hit Suicune even though Roar Cune is uncommon atm).

No need to mention Surf here I think, it's not common enough on Lax.

I don't really like this too much, since Machamp especially often wants to avoid switching directly into Snorlax, and Espeon doesn't want to take attacks if it isn't the Morning Sun variant. I would perhaps instead focus on some more detailed aspects of how they can support each other. For example, Espeon might be able to help weaken Snorlax so that Machamp can switch in on Rest, which could set both up for a sweep. Machamp and Espeon both strongly benefit from Zapdos being removed, which either can achieve for the other with their decent chances of 2HKOing after a single boost. HP Bug Machamp can potentially trade or outright remove Exeggutor for HP Water Espeon. They can overwhelm Skarmory together. Both benefit from the difficulty in walling the other.

These are both very true and they are indeed good partners. However, I think you should change the sentences slightly to explicitly mention Espeon, e.g. adding "for Espeon" or "which Espeon has trouble against" etc. Also, pivots is probably not the right word, I would just say "can switch into" or "can take on" etc.

I would list Tyranitar and also go briefly into the benefits of using them. I am also wondering if there are any Fire-types that could benefit.

I'd mention the possibility of using it alongside HP Water as that would give it decent coverage against almost everything. I don't think it would be justifiable otherwise.

I haven't seen this used ever but I might try it, I have some ideas.

I think Reflect might be worth consideration with all the RestTalk 2 attack Snorlax around.

I'd say "blocks Toxic and is not broken by Pursuit". I'd remove the normal poison mention, normal poison also sucks for Espeon. I don't know what you mean by "lure Espeon down", are they corrupting it somehow? I think you want to mention that Crunch is useful to have for Espeon and mention some XHKOs because it's an important and sometimes deceptive matchup.

if espeon has hp fire + morning sun/sub, it may switch out so that suit can do some damage. anyway, i will just mention crunch

+1 Psychic also hurts these, also Skarmory and Forretress often threaten to hit it with Toxic.

Exeggutor and Jynx threaten it very heavily with their status moves. I think the use of "in particular" is perhaps confusing me here, it may be better to use something like "In addition," since Explosion isn't a status move. You should also mention Substitute Espeon.

I would also discuss Zapdos and Raikou here. They are often used as checks or have to fight Espeon, even though they don't do a great job at fighting it when switching in on Growth.

Once implemented I will review again.

Minor stuff but I think it might be worth mentioning in the Checks and Counters section that Jynx and Egg can't directly switch into Espeon if it has HP Fire (and Bite to a lesser extent but does anyone actually use that?). They both get 3hko'd and potentially 2hkod with a bit of prior damage.

Unboosted HP fire vs Egg and Jynx
Espeon Hidden Power Fire vs. Exeggutor: 158-186 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Espeon Hidden Power Fire vs. Exeggutor: 158-186 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Spikes and Leftovers recovery

Espeon Hidden Power Fire vs. Jynx: 125-148 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm also not 100% if Egg wants to boom on Espeon given all the other potential targets but I'd rather have the more experienced GSCers to have a say on that.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Espeon is a very interesting pokemon, and a very underrated one as well.
Espeon was one of the main reasons why classic old stall (6 walls, not even lax) died and GSC, and the reason is NYPC giving it the move Growth.
With Growth, Espeon can easily set up on nearly any wall and either try to sweep or BP to another special threat.

I think I would divide your current set in 2 different ones: the sweeper set with Hidden Power and the Baton Pass set, because I think they work in a very different way.

The Baton Pass set is one of the main threats to non Roar TTar stalls, because it is one of the few Growth BPers that is not hard walled by Roar Raikou. Yes, Skarmory resists Psychic and can WW it, but Espeon can just hit Psychics until Skarmory is forced to Rest, so Skarmory will not stop Espeon from BPing in the long run.
The last slot could be either Morning Sun (which makes Espeon last longer while giving it a big defensive value since it can easily wall dangerous threats such as Machamp, Gengar or Nidoking) or also HP Water / Fire to hit the common phazers at the cost of losing health recovery.

The offensive set is usually seen in the late game, and it is especially dangerous when Snorlax is sleeping, since a +1 Psychic will be close to a 3HKO to Snorlax, forcing it to rest, allowing Espeon to Growth once more to 3hko the Snorlax. Hidden Power Water covers 2 of the biggest threats to Espeon: Tyranitar and Steelix, while HP Fire can still cover Steelix while covering Forretress, Exeggutor and Skarmory at the cost of not being able to touch Tyranitar.

About the Team Options:
I like what you wrote about Machamp + Espeon, except the Zapdos part. I don't think they are a good combo vs Zapdos. They can both beat Zapdos individually, but they don't really help each other in beating Zapdos.
Another combo I like it Tyranitar + Espeon, because Tyranitar attracts Machamp and Nidoking, 2 mons that give Espeon a free Growth. They are a solid combo offensively and defensively, because they can also cover a lot of threats together.

About the counters:
You have wrote all the counters thinking in the offensive set, but most of them will not stop BP Espeon at all. You should probably mention that when talking about Blissey, non roar dark mons, psychics, etc

wyc2333

thx.
u haven't mentioned sub. i just mention it on the bp set as wenderz said.
espy can force lax switch-in and use growth, but espy may not brainlessly click psychic after sleeping lax is in. it can run growth once more bc +2 psychic will 3HKO lax, forcing it to rest again too. +3 psychic also has a decent chance of 2HKO lax.
+1 Espeon Psychic vs. Snorlax: 165-195 (31.5 - 37.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 Espeon Psychic vs. Snorlax: 220-259 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 Espeon Psychic vs. Snorlax: 274-322 (52.3 - 61.5%) -- 98.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
ready for momentum

Last edited:

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Tbh I have never used Sub Espeon. I mean, it has its merits: immune to status, blocks Explosions, hard walls Exeggutor, helps vs Zapdos... but I generally find Morning Sun more useful, unless you are using mono Psychic sub MS Espeon, something I have never tried.

About using a second Growth vs attacking, I generally prefer attacking because in the worst case I get to the same scenario wasting 1 more PP but in the best case I get a crit or a drop in that Psychic that can allow Espeon to beat a slept Snorlax without taking a hit

M Dragon

The north wind
World Defender
Because of weaknesses only to less common attacking types, Morning Sun gives Espeon instant recovery against threats that rely on coverage moves such as Nidoking and Machamp.
I think I would say it like this. The combination of speed, 1 turn move recovery, Psychic STAB and typing (resists fighting while not being weak to EQ) allows Espeon to provide the team with a solid answer to dangerous threats to a typical offensive team such as Machamp, Gengar or Nidoking (after something is slept, something important to mention)

Probably add something like that in the overview too

The Baton Pass set threatens stall teams because it is one of the few sets with Growth and Baton Pass that are not stopped by certain phazers, namely Raikou and Suicune
While this is true, I think I would mention first how Raikou and Suicune can hard wall other Growth BPers. However Espeon has the advantage of being able to 3HKO both of them after a single Growth (in fact it has a high chance of 2hkoing Raikou after Spikes) while having access to a 1 turn recovery move at the same time

You should definitely mention Raikou as a team option for the BP set.

Counters:
**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Snorlax and Blissey have great special bulk to take Espeon's attacks and lay status. The former frightens Espeon with its STAB moves, while the latter runs Light Screen and Present against Espeon. However, they can't stop Baton Pass.
While it is true that Snorlax cannot stop BP, it can at least threaten it and force it to BP. Blissey is a set up fodder.

**Dark-types**: Umbreon hits Espeon with Toxic, but it can't prevent Baton Pass from working
Toxic Umbreon is one of the best Offensive Espeon counters, but it is also one of the worst answers to the BP set.
I think Umbreon is a great example to show why Espeon has 2 different sets even if they look nearly the same.

I don't know if any other GSCer has anything else to say, but I think that after the minor changes in this post the analysis is p good.

QC 1/2 after the changes I suggested

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Growth, amazing Special Attack, and high Speed, Espeon can set up and either try to sweep or use Baton Pass to another special threat, thus being one of the main reasons why stall teams without Snorlax vanish into thin air.
There are very few stall teams in use without Snorlax and those that don't have it have Blissey, which, while not entirely reliable against Espeon, is reasonably effective at handling most sets and recipients if it has the right set. I would rather say something like "which can turn manageable threats into devastating powerhouses in the blink of an eye." or something else less team archetype-specific.

With a pure Psychic typing, Morning Sun, and STAB Psychic, it threatens dangerous Pokemon such as Gengar, Machamp, Nidoking, and Tentacruel after Sleep Clause is activated, against which offensive teams sometimes struggle.
I don't think it is necessary to say "after Sleep Clause is activated" here since it threatens them regardless. There's no need to assume Espeon is switching into these Pokemon here.

Team Options
========
With access to Earthquake, Self-destruct, Lovely Kiss, Body Slam, and Fire-type attacks, Snorlax annoys Tyranitar, Steel-type Pokemon, and opposing Snorlax, while Espeon handles Gengar and Machamp.
This needs to be fleshed out a bit more. I would explicitly say that Snorlax can use Self-Destruct to take out opposing Snorlax and its coverage moves can be used to weaken Espeon's other checks such as Tyranitar and Steelix.

Zapdos checks Skarmory, absorbs Sleep Powder from Exeggutor, and sometimes forces Snorlax to use Rest, of which Espeon take advantage.
This should be counters Skarmory.

[SET]

Team Options
========

If Baton Pass is used, potent special receivers such as Zapdos and Raikou or mixed receivers such as Gengar, Tyranitar, Nidoking, Machamp, and Snorlax can be considered: Zapdos and Raikou basically has no counters after boost; Gengar and Tyranitar can wall Explosion or Self-destrcut for Espeon; Nidoking forces out Tyranitar; Machamp handles Dark-types; Snorlax deals with Jynx when sleep clause is activated and Starmie.
I don't think it's correct to say that Zapdos and Raikou basically have no counters after a boost. Raikou and Blissey tend to handle them even after a boost. I haven't personally seen Zapdos or Raikou sweep very often after receiving a boost, but they tend to require an immediate response like Explosion if Raikou isn't around.

It might be a good idea to briefly detail the recipients' effectiveness as recipients here:

Gengar is a good recipient if the opposing Snorlax doesn't have EQ or LK. It becomes much easier to land Explosion on the target you are seeking if Gengar has a boost.

Tyranitar can become very dangerous after a boost but again, this depends on the opposing lineup and your moveset.

Nidoking is one of the most dangerous recipients due to LK access, so I think it needs to be emphasised.

Machamp is not much of a receiver honestly. I would not include it as an example in that capacity, but it is still a useful teammate for threatening Snorlax as usual. Potentially benefiting from Growth with Fire Blast can be mentioned but I don't think it should be listed as a "mixed receiver".

Jynx deserves a mention as it is probably the Pokemon most likely to sweep after receiving a growth boost, even if its typing has no defensive merit alongside Espeon's.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Snorlax and Blissey have great special bulk to take Espeon's attacks and lay status. The former frightens Espeon with its STAB moves, while the latter runs Present against Espeon. Although Snorlax cannot stop Baton Pass, it can usually force Espeon to Baton Pass. However, without Present, Blissey is a setup fodder for Espeon, though it can run Light Screen to annoy many Growth Pass teams.
Mention that Snorlax also threatens most recipients.

**Dark-types**: Toxic Umbreon is one of the best answers to Espeon without Baton Pass, but it is one of the worst answers to Espeon with Baton Pass, thus explaining why Espeon has two different sets even if they look nearly the same.
I don't think the two different sets need to be justified here.

**Steel-types**: Forretress, Steelix, and Skarmory can hit Espeon with Toxic. The first two threaten it with Explosion, while the last two may phaze it out. Anyway, all of them especially Forretress will be hurt by Hidden Power Fire and boosted STAB Psychic. In particular, Steelix will be worn down by Hidden Power Water.
Steelix very rarely has Toxic. I think you could write this paragraph more efficiently as well.

**Electrics**: Raikou and Zapdos can lay paralysis on Espeon with Thunder or Thunder Wave and phaze it out. In addition, Raikou can hit Espeon with the rare Crunch. However, Thunder's accuracy is unreliable so that Espeon can set up and hit them with STAB Psychic.
No need to mention Crunch Raikou. I don't think Thunder being inaccurate is a reason for Espeon to set up on them. You could say instead that they will tend to lose to Espeon if they switch in as it uses Growth, although they may be able to paralyse it or phaze it to prevent a sweep.

wyc2333

There are very few stall teams in use without Snorlax and those that don't have it have Blissey, which, while not entirely reliable against Espeon, is reasonably effective at handling most sets and recipients if it has the right set. I would rather say something like "which can turn manageable threats into devastating powerhouses in the blink of an eye." or something else less team archetype-specific.

I don't think it is necessary to say "after Sleep Clause is activated" here since it threatens them regardless. There's no need to assume Espeon is switching into these Pokemon here.

This needs to be fleshed out a bit more. I would explicitly say that Snorlax can use Self-Destruct to take out opposing Snorlax and its coverage moves can be used to weaken Espeon's other checks such as Tyranitar and Steelix.

This should be counters Skarmory.

I don't think it's correct to say that Zapdos and Raikou basically have no counters after a boost. Raikou and Blissey tend to handle them even after a boost. I haven't personally seen Zapdos or Raikou sweep very often after receiving a boost, but they tend to require an immediate response like Explosion if Raikou isn't around.

It might be a good idea to briefly detail the recipients' effectiveness as recipients here:

Gengar is a good recipient if the opposing Snorlax doesn't have EQ or LK. It becomes much easier to land Explosion on the target you are seeking if Gengar has a boost.

Tyranitar can become very dangerous after a boost but again, this depends on the opposing lineup and your moveset.

Nidoking is one of the most dangerous recipients due to LK access, so I think it needs to be emphasised.

Machamp is not much of a receiver honestly. I would not include it as an example in that capacity, but it is still a useful teammate for threatening Snorlax as usual. Potentially benefiting from Growth with Fire Blast can be mentioned but I don't think it should be listed as a "mixed receiver".

Jynx deserves a mention as it is probably the Pokemon most likely to sweep after receiving a growth boost, even if its typing has no defensive merit alongside Espeon's.

Mention that Snorlax also threatens most recipients.

I don't think the two different sets need to be justified here.

Steelix very rarely has Toxic. I think you could write this paragraph more efficiently as well.

No need to mention Crunch Raikou. I don't think Thunder being inaccurate is a reason for Espeon to set up on them. You could say instead that they will tend to lose to Espeon if they switch in as it uses Growth, although they may be able to paralyse it or phaze it to prevent a sweep.
done. thx a lot. can u qc again?

done. thx a lot. can u qc again?
The only thing that I think needs fixing in terms of content is re-adding the defensive synergies in the BP set team options part. They have been entirely replaced by my comments but there was some useful info there that was taken out. e.g. Gengar and Tyranitar taking Explosion/STAB Normal attacks and Nidoking handling Tyranitar. Zapdos/Raikou are also entirely missing from that section now.

QC 2/2 once that is fixed.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its access to Growth, amazing Special Attack, and high Speed, Espeon can set up and either try to sweep or use Baton Pass to support another special threat attacker, which can turn manageable threats into devastating powerhouses in the blink of an eye. With a pure Psychic typing, Morning Sun, and STAB Psychic, it threatens dangerous Pokemon such as Gengar, Machamp, Nidoking, and Tentacruel, against which offensive teams sometimes struggle with.

However, Espeon's physical bulk is too fragile to take physical attacks from Pokemon like Snorlax, the most dominant Pokemon in GSC OU (if you wanna talk about other Pokemon, after Snorlax do "..., as well as other Pokemon such as x and y."). In addition, it should be wary of status afflictions such as paralysis from Thunder Wave that will compromise its potential. Furthermore,(AC) its movepool isn't ideal, which makes it hard to sweep without having the correct Hidden Power for Pokemon such as Forretress and Tyranitar and Forretress (ultimately optional, but I reordered to match the fact Hidden Power Water is slashed first on the sets).

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

The sweeper This set is usually seen in the late-game(AH) (RC) which and is especially dangerous when Snorlax is sleeping because of Growth and STAB Psychic. Hidden Power Water covers two common threats: Tyranitar and Steelix. It also does decent damage to Houndoom, Golem, and Rhydon. Alternatively,(AC) Hidden Power Fire deters Forretress and hits targets such as Skarmory, Exeggutor, Steelix, and Jynx relatively hard, but it doesn't touch Tyranitar. With the combination of high Speed, STAB Psychic, and a pure Psychic typing, which resists Fighting-type attacks while not being weak to Earthquake, Morning Sun allows Espeon to provide a typical offensive team with a solid answer to dangerous threats such as Machamp, Gengar, or and Nidoking after Sleep Clause is activated.

Team Options
========

Machamp and Espeon have great synergy. Firstly, they can overwhelm Skarmory together, especially if Machamp has Fire Blast or Espeon has Hidden Power Fire. Secondly, Espeon might be able to help weaken Snorlax so that Machamp can switch in on Rest turns. Thirdly, Hidden Power Bug Machamp can potentially remove Exeggutor for Hidden Power Water Espeon. Fourthly, Machamp helps deal with Zapdos, of which Espeon should be slightly wary of by a small margin. Fifthly Lastly (optional but generally you end lists like this with "lastly" as opposed to carrying on the number), Machamp checks Steelix and Dark-types such as Tyranitar, while,(AC) thanks to Morning Sun, Espeon deals with Gengar, Nidoking, and Tentacruel.

Snorlax can use Self-Destruct to take out opposing Snorlax. Its coverage and status moves can also be used to weaken Espeon's other checks such as Tyranitar and Steelix. Gengar runs Destiny Bond, Explosion, Hypnosis, or Dynamic Punch to cripple special walls, Steelix, and Dark-type Pokemon, against which Espeon struggles. Tyranitar attracts Machamp and Nidoking so that Espeon can come in comfortably and get a setup opportunity. In return, Espeon suffers from struggles with Explosion (RC) Self-destruct and Self-Destruct users, Jynx, and the rare Houndoom, which Tyranitar can take care of. Steelix can answer some variants of Snorlax and Tyranitar that stop Espeon. In addition, it can annoy Skarmory and Exeggutor by with Body Slam or Explosion, which helps Espeon. Cloyster can lay Spikes, check Steelix, and take down Starmie, while Espeon checks Tentacruel. Zapdos counters Skarmory, absorbs Sleep Powder from Exeggutor, and sometimes forces Snorlax to use Rest, of which Espeon take advantage of.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

With Growth and Baton Pass, Vaporeon can be stopped by Roar Suicune and Jolteon can be stopped by Roar Raikou. However, +1 Psychic from Espeon has the advantage of being able to can 3HKO both of them and having has a high chance of 2HKOing Raikou after Spikes,(AC) while having and Espeon has access to instant recovery. Skarmory can phaze it, but Espeon can just hit it with +1 Psychic until Skarmory it is forced to use Rest, so Skarmory it will not stop Espeon from using Baton Pass in the long run. In addition, Baton Pass allows Espeon to escape from Pursuit damage.

When it comes to the last slot, Morning Sun makes Espeon last longer while giving it a big great defensive value because it can easily wall dangerous threats such as Machamp, Gengar, and Nidoking. While dropping Morning Sun means that Espeon loses instant recovery and has to be more cautious about when it comes in, Hidden Power can be used to hit phazers;(colon -> semicolon) Hidden Power Water covers phazers such as Tyranitar, Steelix, Houndoom, Golem, and Rhydon, while Hidden Power Fire hits Skarmory and Steelix relatively hard.

Team Options
========

Zapdos and Raikou make great recipients as long as the opponent doesn't have Roar Raikou and can force the opposing Pokemon to explode. Nidoking is one of the most dangerous recipients due to its access to Lovely Kiss and ability to succeed (? do you mean this?) against Tyranitar. Gengar is a good recipient if the opposing Snorlax doesn't have Earthquake or Lovely Kiss. In addition, it becomes much easier to land Explosion on the target you are seeking if Gengar has a boost. Furthermore, Gengar is immune to Normal-type attacks. Tyranitar can not only resist resists Normal-type attacks but also can become very dangerous after a boost, though this depends on the opposing lineup and your its moveset. Machamp is not much of a receiver, but it is still a useful teammate for threatening Snorlax and Dark-types as usual and potentially benefiting from Growth with Fire Blast. Jynx is most likely to sweep after receiving a boost, even if its typing has no defensive merit alongside Espeon. Although Fire-type Pokemon such as Entei are not common, they can capitalize on take advantage of Umbreon, Skarmory, and Jynx (RC) which and will be dangerous because many teams don't have Pokemon that resist STAB Fire-type attacks (I am unsure if you are talking about Fire-type attackers with boosts or not. If you are, add "when boosted" after "dangerous."). Since Espeon without Hidden Power Water loses to Roar Tyranitar, moves such as Earthquake from Snorlax and Destiny Bond or Dynamic Punch from Gengar can be considered to lure down in and remove the behemoth early-game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Substitute can be used to block status from Pokemon such as Umbreon, exploit the overuse of Thunder PP from the likes of Zapdos, shut down Exeggutor, and scout for Explosion (perhaps list some potential boom users), but Morning Sun is generally more useful. Although Bite is an option to hit Pokemon such as Exeggutor, Starmie, Jynx, Alakazam, and opposing Espeon, it doesn't cover Steelix like Hidden Power Water and Hidden Power Fire. Anyway, if it is used alongside Hidden Power Water, Espeon will have decent coverage. Toxic wears down threats such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, Starmie, Exeggutor, and Jynx, but since Espeon is often a late-game Pokemon, Toxic damage racks up relatively slowly. Finally, Reflect is invaluable against Explosion, Skarmory, and Snorlax without boosts, but they can destroy Espeon by with Toxic.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Snorlax and Blissey have great special bulk to can easily (I would sure hope a special wall has great special bulk) take Espeon's attacks and lay spread (or "inflict it with" if you mean just Espeon) status. The former frightens Espeon with its STAB moves, while the latter runs Present against threatens Espeon with Present. Although Snorlax cannot stop Baton Pass, it can usually force Espeon to Baton Pass and threaten most recipients. However, without Present, Blissey is a setup fodder for Espeon, though it can run Light Screen to annoy many Growth Pass Growth-passing teams.

**Dark-types**: Toxic Umbreon is one of the best answers to Espeon without Baton Pass, but it is one of the worst answers to Espeon with Baton Pass. Crunch and Roar from Tyranitar and to a lesser extent Houndoom are useful because the former move can 2HKO Espeon, while the latter move can phaze it out, but +1 Hidden Power Water has a decent chance to 2HKO them both Pokemon after damage from Spikes.

**Steel-types**: Forretress can threaten Espeon with Explosion or Toxic, Steelix can hit it with Explosion or Roar, while and Skarmory can cripple it with Toxic or Whirlwind. Anyway However, all of them,(AC) especially Forretress,(AC) will be hurt by Hidden Power Fire and boosted STAB Psychic. In particular (RC) Steelix will also be worn down by Hidden Power Water.

**Psychic-types**: Exeggutor, Starmie, Jynx, and Alakazam can cripple Espeon with status moves. Specially speaking In specific, Exeggutor threatens it with Stun Spore and Sleep Powder, while Jynx threatens it with Lovely Kiss and Ice Beam. In addition, Exeggutor frightens Espeon with Explosion and Alakazam has access to Encore. However, Espeon has Morning Sun to shrug off most of their attacks (RP) Next, Exeggutor and Jynx should be wary of Hidden Power Fire (RP) Last but not least, and every Psychic-type Pokemon except Alakazam can't avoid Baton Pass from coming into effect (not sure what this means. Do you mean they can't prevent it from using Baton Pass? If so, say that.).

**Electric-types**: Raikou and Zapdos tend to lose to Espeon if they switch in as it uses Growth, but they may be able to paralyze it or phaze it to prevent a sweep.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

gp 1/2 when done

gp 2/2

standard colors

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its access to Growth, amazing Special Attack, and high Speed, Espeon can set up and either try to sweep or use Baton Pass to support another special attacker, which can turn manageable threats into devastating powerhouses in the blink of an eye. With a pure Psychic typing, Morning Sun, and STAB Psychic, it threatens dangerous Pokemon such as Gengar, Machamp, Nidoking, and Tentacruel, which offensive teams sometimes struggle with.

However, Espeon's Espeon is too fragile to take physical attacks from Snorlax, the most dominant Pokemon in GSC OU. In addition, status afflictions such as paralysis from Thunder Wave will compromise its potential. Furthermore, its movepool isn't ideal, which makes it hard to sweep without having the correct Hidden Power for Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Forretress.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set is usually seen late-game and is especially dangerous when Snorlax is sleeping against a sleeping Snorlax (clarity; lmk if this wasn't what you meant) because of Growth and STAB Psychic. Hidden Power Water covers two common threats: Tyranitar and Steelix. It also does decent damage to Houndoom, Golem, and Rhydon. Alternatively, Hidden Power Fire deters Forretress and hits targets such as Skarmory, Exeggutor, Steelix, and Jynx relatively hard, but it doesn't touch Tyranitar. With the combination of high Speed, STAB Psychic, and a pure Psychic typing, which resists Fighting-type attacks while not being weak to Earthquake, Morning Sun allows Espeon to provide a typical offensive team with a solid answer to dangerous threats such as Machamp, Gengar, and Nidoking after Sleep Clause is activated.

Team Options
========

Machamp and Espeon have great synergy. Firstly, they can overwhelm Skarmory together, especially if Machamp has Fire Blast or Espeon has Hidden Power Fire. Secondly, Espeon might be able to help weaken Snorlax so that Machamp can switch in on Rest turns. Thirdly, Hidden Power Bug Machamp can potentially remove Exeggutor for Hidden Power Water Espeon. Fourthly, Machamp helps deal with Zapdos, which Espeon should be slightly wary of. Lastly, Machamp checks Steelix and Dark-types such as Tyranitar, while, thanks to Morning Sun, Espeon deals with Gengar, Nidoking, and Tentacruel.

Snorlax can use Self-Destruct to take out opposing Snorlax. Its coverage and status moves can also be used to weaken Espeon's other checks such as Tyranitar and Steelix. Gengar runs Destiny Bond, Explosion, Hypnosis, or Dynamic Punch to cripple special walls, Steelix, and Dark-type Pokemon, against which Espeon struggles. Tyranitar attracts Machamp and Nidoking so that Espeon can come in comfortably and get a setup opportunity. In return, Espeon struggles with Tyranitar takes care of Explosion and Self-Destruct users, Jynx, and the rare Houndoom, which Tyranitar can take care of Espeon struggles with. Steelix can answer some variants of Snorlax and Tyranitar that stop Espeon. In addition, it can annoy Skarmory and Exeggutor with Body Slam or Explosion, which helps Espeon. Cloyster can lay Spikes, check Steelix, and take down Starmie, while Espeon checks Tentacruel. Zapdos counters Skarmory, absorbs Sleep Powder from Exeggutor, and sometimes forces Snorlax to use Rest, which Espeon take advantage of.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

With Growth and Baton Pass, Vaporeon can be stopped by Roar Suicune and Jolteon can be stopped by Roar Raikou. However, +1 Psychic from Espeon can 3HKO both of them and has a high chance of 2HKOing Raikou after Spikes, and Espeon has access to instant recovery. Skarmory can phaze it Espeon, but Espeon can just hit it with +1 Psychic until it is forced to use Rest, so it will not stop Espeon from using Baton Pass in the long run. In addition, Baton Pass allows Espeon to escape from Pursuit damage.

When it comes to the last slot, Morning Sun makes Espeon last longer while giving it great defensive value because it can easily wall dangerous threats such as Machamp, Gengar, and Nidoking. While dropping Morning Sun means that Espeon loses instant recovery and has to be more cautious about when it comes in, Hidden Power can be used to hit phazers; Hidden Power Water covers phazers such as Tyranitar, Steelix, Houndoom, Golem, and Rhydon, while Hidden Power Fire hits Skarmory and Steelix relatively hard.

Team Options
========

Zapdos and Raikou make great recipients as long as the opponent doesn't have Roar Raikou and can force the opposing Pokemon to explode. Nidoking is one of the most dangerous recipients due to its access to Lovely Kiss and ability to succeed against Tyranitar. Gengar is a good recipient if the opposing Snorlax doesn't have Earthquake or Lovely Kiss. In addition, it becomes much easier to land Explosion on the target you are seeking if Gengar has a boost. Furthermore, Gengar is immune to Normal-type attacks. Tyranitar not only resists Normal-type attacks but also can become very dangerous after a boost, though this depends on the opposing lineup and its moveset. Machamp is not much of a receiver, but it is still a useful teammate for threatening Snorlax and Dark-types as usual and potentially benefiting from Growth with Fire Blast. Jynx is most likely to sweep after receiving a boost, even if its typing has no defensive merit alongside Espeon. Although Fire-type Pokemon such as Entei are not common, they can take advantage of Umbreon, Skarmory, and Jynx and will be dangerous when boosted because many teams don't have Pokemon that resist STAB Fire-type attacks. Since Espeon without Hidden Power Water loses to Roar Tyranitar, moves such as Earthquake from Snorlax and Destiny Bond or Dynamic Punch from Gengar can be considered to lure in and remove the behemoth early-game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Substitute can be used to block status from Pokemon such as Umbreon, exploit the overuse of Thunder PP from the likes of Zapdos, shut down Exeggutor, and scout for Explosion from Pokemon like Forretress, but Morning Sun is generally more useful. Although Bite is an option to hit Pokemon such as Exeggutor, Starmie, Jynx, Alakazam, and opposing Espeon, it doesn't cover Steelix like Hidden Power Water and Hidden Power Fire. Anyway, if it is used alongside Hidden Power Water, Espeon will have decent coverage. Toxic wears down threats such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, Starmie, Exeggutor, and Jynx, but since Espeon is often a late-game Pokemon, Toxic damage racks up relatively slowly. Finally, Reflect is invaluable against Explosion users (so the following "they" isn't too awkward), Skarmory, and Snorlax without boosts, but they can destroy Espeon with Toxic.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Snorlax and Blissey can easily take Espeon's attacks and spread status. The former frightens Espeon with its STAB moves, while the latter threatens Espeon with Present. Although Snorlax cannot stop Baton Pass, it can usually force Espeon to Baton Pass and threaten most recipients. However, without Present, Blissey is setup fodder for Espeon, though it can run Light Screen to annoy many Growth-passing teams.

**Dark-types**: Toxic Umbreon is one of the best answers to Espeon without Baton Pass, but it is one of the worst answers to Espeon with Baton Pass. Crunch and Roar from Tyranitar and to a lesser extent Houndoom are useful because the former move can 2HKO Espeon, (RC) while the latter move can or phaze it, but +1 Hidden Power Water has a decent chance to 2HKO both Pokemon after damage from Spikes.

**Steel-types**: Forretress can threaten Espeon with Explosion or Toxic, Steelix can hit it with Explosion or Roar, and Skarmory can cripple it with Toxic or Whirlwind. However, all of them, especially Forretress, will be hurt by Hidden Power Fire and boosted STAB Psychic. Steelix will also be worn down by Hidden Power Water.

**Psychic-types**: Exeggutor, Starmie, Jynx, and Alakazam can cripple Espeon with status moves. In specific particular, Exeggutor threatens it with Stun Spore and Sleep Powder, while Jynx threatens it with Lovely Kiss and Ice Beam. In addition, Exeggutor frightens Espeon with Explosion, (AC; also, it's weird starmie has no further mention, but it's no big deal) and Alakazam has access to Encore. However, Espeon has Morning Sun to shrug off most of their attacks, Exeggutor and Jynx should be wary of Hidden Power Fire, and every Psychic-type Pokemon except Encore Alakazam can't prevent it from using Baton Pass.

**Electric-types**: Raikou and Zapdos tend to lose to Espeon if they switch in as it uses Growth, but they may be able to paralyze it or phaze it to prevent a sweep.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [kt3, 228482]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)