move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Toxic / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Recover
item: Shed Shell / Heavy-Duty Boots / Black Sludge
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Eternatus is able to check a wide variety of metagame threats thanks to its high bulk and excellent defensive typing. Coupled with an amazing Speed tier, defensive Eternatus can fit on just about any type of build, from offense teams looking for extra utility to bulky teams in need of a way to keep faster foes in check. Dynamax Cannon is a strong STAB attack that targets opposing Dynamax users and physical walls such as Quagsire, while Flamethrower deals greater damage to Corviknight and Necrozma-DM. Toxic Spikes punishes offensive teams that lack a grounded Poison-type, while Toxic is more effective against individual walls.

56 Speed EVs allow Eternatus to outspeed Dynamaxed Dugtrio, while the rest of the EVs are placed into HP and Defense to tank hits from Marshadow and Zacian-C. Alternatively, a spread of 108 Def / 184 SpA / 216 Spe can be used with Payapa Berry to lure and 2HKO Gothitelle as well as act as an emergency check to Mewtwo. Other viable items include Shuca Berry to check Gigantamaxed Drednaw and Dugtrio, and Haban Berry for an improved matchup against opposing Dragon-types that either outspeed Eternatus or can tank a Dynamax Cannon. Against bulkier teams, Eternatus should be brought in often to absorb status and drain PP, while it functions better as a revenge killer or emergency check to setup sweepers against offense. Due to Dynamax Cannon's low PP, it should only be used to prevent threats from regaining health or KOing Eternatus. As Eternatus is quickly worn down by entry hazards, it appreciates Defog users such as Lunala and Skarmory as teammates, with the latter being able to aid Eternatus's phazing by stacking Spikes while sponging Psychic- and Ground-type attacks aimed at Eternatus. Since Eternatus is unable to reliably switch in to stronger physical attackers such as Dynamax sweepers and Zacian-C, it appreciates defensive walls that can relieve pressure on it such as Necrozma-DM and Quagsire.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Dominatio, 265158]]
- Quality checked by: [[Cynara, 224455], [Manaphy, 50695]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Why run black sludge as the main item? Black sludge feels like a luxury item at the moment, Heavy Duty boots eases a lot of pressure from Defensive Eternatus teams from removing hazards as much; and makes it much more flexible to switch in eternatus throughout the match.

Papaya berry is also for Gothitelle, I haven't seen Shuca have usage yet but I can see the merit. Skarmory is preferable over Corviknight, Especially with Dragon Tail Etern.

QC: 1/2

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hi this analysis is gonna be kinda a mess because Etern has so many options but thats just how flexible this mon is

You need to mention this EV spread: 108 Def / 184 SAtk / 216 Spe Timid, specifically for Payapa Berry and Toxic Spikes/Toxic. This allows you to get the guaranteed 2HKO on Gothitelle with Dynamax Cannon, which makes Payapa Berry actually useful. Otherwise you'll just 3HKO and Goth will Psychic you anyway, even with the berry. With these EVs and the 2HKO you get with Dynamax Cannon, this is as close to a Gothitelle lure you can have in the current metagame and I think that should be mentioned. I would also mention how this allows Eternatus to be an emergency check to Mewtwo as well. This EV spread I know isn't as defensive like the name suggests but it's certainly better to place here than on the Life Orb or Cosmic Power sets. Dragon Tail sets I suppose could keep the bulky EV spread with Payapa.

In my opinion the item slots should be as follows: Heavy-Duty Boots / Payapa Berry / Shed Shell / Shuca Berry. There's simply no way to run Black Sludge without being vulnerable to either Goth or Spikes. Shed Shell for sure deserves a huge mention as Gothitelle is an absolute menace.
I'll QC check if this stuff gets implemented

Last edited:
Before this goes into GP i have some feedback that wildly differs from the above. I plan to discuss this internally but wanted to post here to be clear to the author that it still needs discussion before it goes into GP.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Dynamax Cannon
move 3: Recover
move 4: Toxic / Toxic Spikes
item: Black Sludge / Shed Shell / Heavy-Duty Boots

This is how I see it. Resist berries are niche applications for specific teams that note specific weaknesses - you can't just build with a resist berry set, it comes out after acknowledging team-wide weaknesses which is difficult to portray in an analysis. Analyses aim to be generalized and a good starting ground for someone to learn the meta, so that they themselves can find the same applications for more niche moves/items as they learn. Black Sludge is the generalized item, Shed escapes trapping, Boots avoids awful lines vs hazard stack builds (and webs) which means it exists to deal with meta trends. I think the order will differ based on who you ask, so the play is to generalize and / or take a consensus.

I don't think Dragon Tail is main set worthy. If you are afraid of Goth you will run Shed Shell because Dragon Tail still means you are prone to eating Specs Psychic before you phaze it which means the damage is already done. Dragon Tail to me is a move for Cosmic Power sets because you can abuse hazards AND be fat enough to justify using it.

The spread being defensive over HP invested I can understand but this forfeits being able to tank special moves when necessary (Lunala, opposing Etern, weather sweepers, and just general mixed bulk). Eternatus doesn't really invest to tank anything in particular - it just does by existing as a bulky mon and benefits from the really fast natural speed. Outspeeding Marshadow isn't really necessary (and they should be Adamant anyway...) because it needs extra support (bulk up, spikes) to even beat it in most conditions:

252+ Atk Life Orb Marshadow Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Eternatus: 214-253 (44.2 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Take Marshadow out the picture and you have nothing to outspeed other than Dynamax Dugtrio, which this set does. I'll talk more with QC and post the results. You don't have to implement anything new just yet.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[SET]
move 3: Toxic Spikes / Dragon Tail / Toxic
item: Heavy-Duty Boots / Papaya Berry / Shed Shell / Shuca Berry
evs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Eternatus is able to check a wide variety of metagame threats thanks to its high bulk and excellent defensive typing. Coupled with an amazing Speed tier, defensive Eternatus can fit on just about any type of build, from offense teams looking for extra utility to bulky teams in need of speed control a way to keep faster foes in check. Dynamax Cannon is a strong STAB attack that targets opposing Dynamax users and physical walls such as Quagsire, while Flamethrower deals greater damage to Corviknight and Necrozma-DM. Papaya Berry allows Eternatus to withstand an attack from Gothitelle and can be used in conjunction with Dragon Tail to phaze out non-Dynamaxed Volcarona and special walls such as Blissey, while Shuca Berry allows Eternatus to check Gigantamaxed Drednaw-Gmax and Dugtrio.

216 Speed EVs allow Eternatus to outspeed Marshadow, while the Defense investment allows Eternatus it to tank hits from Marshadow and Zacian-C. Alternatively, a spread of 108 Def / 184 SpA / 216 Spe can be used with Papaya Berry to lure and 2HKO Gothitelle (RC) as well as act as an emergency check to Mewtwo. Against bulkier teams, Eternatus should be brought in often to absorb status and drain PP, while it functions better as a revenge killer or emergency check to setup sweepers against offense. Due to Dynamax Cannon's low PP, it should only be used to prevent threats from regaining health or KOing Eternatus. As Eternatus is quickly worn down by entry hazards, it appreciates Defog users such as Lunala and Skarmory as teammates, with the latter being able to aid Eternatus' phazing by stacking Spikes while sponging Psychic- and Ground-type attacks aimed at Eternatus. Since Eternatus is unable to reliably switch in to stronger physical attackers such as Dynamax sweepers and Zacian-C, it appreciates defensive walls that can relieve pressure on it such as Necrozma-DM and Quagsire.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Cynara, 224455], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Ok so internally we were still fairly split - Eternatus does what it wants and its been a while since i've worked with a mon that has no clear consensus. This would normally be fine and just think of it as reason to add more detail to cover the possibilities but... yea. The middle ground of QC's discussion looks like mine with some edits:

[SET]
move 3: Recover
move 4: Toxic / Toxic Spikes

Note the viable berries in the first paragraph (or second...? it seems more like depth to me). It would drag on forever if you noted specifics in relation to the size of the preview so maybe just "etern has many viable items depending on team, haban/payapa/shuca also see use to deal with different metagame threats" rather than listing the berry and who its used for.

We discussed things like increasing SpA and Speed but again, too variable to cover. I think we have to accept some detail drops somewhere. This should hopefully be good to go, tag me in #analyses if you need any further feedback and i'll give this a "third QC" since its essentially an overhaul. Apologies for the back and forth, and apologies to The Dutch Plumberjack who did a check when Dominatio forgot he still had the copyediting tag on his thread after my post :(

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
for real
[SET]
move 3: Toxic / Toxic Spikes

[SET COMMENTS]

Eternatus is able to check a wide variety of metagame threats thanks to its high bulk and excellent defensive typing. Coupled with an amazing Speed tier, defensive Eternatus can fit on just about any type of build, from offense teams looking for extra utility to bulky teams in need of a way to keep faster foes in check. Dynamax Cannon is a strong STAB attack that targets opposing Dynamax users and physical walls such as Quagsire, while Flamethrower deals greater damage to Corviknight and Necrozma-DM. Toxic Spikes punishes offensive teams that lack a grounded Poison-type, while Toxic is more effective against individual walls.

56 Speed EVs allow Eternatus to outspeed Dynamaxed Dugtrio, while the rest of the EVs are placed into HP and Defense to tank hits from Marshadow and Zacian-C. Alternatively, a spread of 108 Def / 184 SpA / 216 Spe can be used with Payapa Berry to lure and 2HKO Gothitelle as well as act as an emergency check to Mewtwo. Other viable items include Shuca Berry to check Gigantamaxed Drednaw and Dugtrio, and Haban Berry for an improved match-up matchup against opposing Dragon-types that either outspeed Eternatus or can tank a Dynamax Cannon. Against bulkier teams, Eternatus should be brought in often to absorb status and drain PP, while it functions better as a revenge killer or emergency check to setup sweepers against offense. Due to Dynamax Cannon's low PP, it should only be used to prevent threats from regaining health or KOing Eternatus. As Eternatus is quickly worn down by entry hazards, it appreciates Defog users such as Lunala and Skarmory as teammates, with the latter being able to aid Eternatus' Eternatus's phazing by stacking Spikes while sponging Psychic- and Ground-type attacks aimed at Eternatus. Since Eternatus is unable to reliably switch in to stronger physical attackers such as Dynamax sweepers and Zacian-C, it appreciates defensive walls that can relieve pressure on it such as Necrozma-DM and Quagsire.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Cynara, 224455], [Manaphy, 50695]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)