Event Discussion

Some more details have been revealed about that Mewtwo distribution for Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. It's level 70 and has a Quiet nature.

I don't know why it's Quiet, but I suppose event collectors will go nuts for it anyway.

Some more details have been revealed about that Mewtwo distribution for Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. It's level 70 and has a Quiet nature.

I don't know why it's Quiet, but I suppose event collectors will go nuts for it anyway.
Say hello to Trick Room Mewtwo.

Quite the weird choice for a nature... unless it somehow ties with the movie. Who knows?

Just remembered: for the movie Lugia distribution last year, they named it 風のルギア (Wind Lugia), but the only thing special about it was that it had Hurricane, so maybe the only thing special about this Mewtwo is that it'll have a special move that is unobtainable to date.

The other thing special about it was having the HA; to this day that distribution is still the only available source of Multiscale Lugia that have the clover icon (and are therefore usable in VGC19).

So...a regular level 70 Mewtwo (that may or may not have better than average IVs) plus maxed out AVs?
Yes, AVs are confirmed to be maxed, and it'll come in a Cherish Ball.

Glad I don't have to go through Cerulean Cave to catch the in-game one lmao. Haven't even caught all the birds yet.

Pre-order tickets are available from April 12th to July 11th, and the Mewtwo itself is redeemable from April 12th to September 30th. Planning to get one for myself.

EDIT:

Last edited:
They've also announced that shiny Tapu Fini will be the participation prize for the Japan Championship preliminary online competition (April 19-22), which is obviously only open over there. It would make sense to have one more International Challenge for the rest of the world once the ruleset ticks over to Ultra, but no idea if it's going to run concurrently with that.

And suddenly out of nowhere, Bank gives us HA Passimian and Oranguru. Like half a year before we move to a completely new meta

"For those of you with Pokémon Bank, new distributions have begun. These provide the Pokémon Oranguru and Passimian with their Hidden Abilities of Symbiosis and Defiant respectively. Passimian has the moves Close Combat, U-turn, Knock Off a and Gunk Shot while Oranguru has the moves Instruct, Foul Play, Trick Room and Ally Switch. These all have your OT/ID and have no special moves and can be picked up from the Pokémon Center after receiving them on Bank. It's currently unknown when this distribution will end. "
~serebii

What do you think is the best Nature for them to work with those HA? Passimian probably Jolly, and Oranguru Bold? Calm? Modest?

And suddenly out of nowhere, Bank gives us HA Passimian and Oranguru. Like half a year before we move to a completely new meta

"For those of you with Pokémon Bank, new distributions have begun. These provide the Pokémon Oranguru and Passimian with their Hidden Abilities of Symbiosis and Defiant respectively. Passimian has the moves Close Combat, U-turn, Knock Off a and Gunk Shot while Oranguru has the moves Instruct, Foul Play, Trick Room and Ally Switch. These all have your OT/ID and have no special moves and can be picked up from the Pokémon Center after receiving them on Bank. It's currently unknown when this distribution will end. "
~serebii
So that's why they weren't available in the wild? (still wondering when Flame Body Heatran will be released)

That means we should expect this trend to continue in Gen VIII.

So that's why they weren't available in the wild? (still wondering when Flame Body Heatran will be released)

That means we should expect this trend to continue in Gen VIII.
Aside from Heatran, are there any other unreleased HAs? I collect them but it's been quite a while so I forget if there were any others or if this means every breedable HA is available.

~serebii
A small update on this, also from Serebii. These gifts are set to end on October 31st 2019, giving most of the year in which to get them.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Out of curiosity is Symbiosis Oranguru and Defiant Passimian useful?

I can see some strategies with Oranguru as it's a support Pokemon already so it giving its item to an ally who consumed there's is just another way for it to do that (though Telepathy allowed it to Instruct allies who knows multi-targeting moves like Earthquake & Surf without getting hit itself).

Not sure about Passimian, Receiver seems like the more useful Ability as you can set it up to getting a strong Ability (or force the opponent to focus on it to try ignore it getting a strong Ability).

Out of curiosity is Symbiosis Oranguru and Defiant Passimian useful?

I can see some strategies with Oranguru as it's a support Pokemon already so it giving its item to an ally who consumed there's is just another way for it to do that (though Telepathy allowed it to Instruct allies who knows multi-targeting moves like Earthquake & Surf without getting hit itself).

Not sure about Passimian, Receiver seems like the more useful Ability as you can set it up to getting a strong Ability (or force the opponent to focus on it to try ignore it getting a strong Ability).
Defiant is clearly superior, especially in Doubles where Intimidate is a pain for physical attackers. Not to mention that Receiver is useless in Singles. In doubles its really situational since you need to have an ally faint with the ability you want. Defiant is much more consistent for the reason mentioned above.

Symbiosis suffers from the same reason as Defiant. You'd have the item be consumed at the right time for it to work. Not to mention that Inner Focus makes it easier to set up Trick room while Telepathy makes spamming Earthquake and Surf a lot easier.

Details of the move-naming contest have been released.

Type: Steel
Special
Power: 140
Effects: Does great damage to the foe, but halves user's HP.

The name must be within 8 characters of the following: hiragana, katakana, alphabet, numbers.
The name cannot be identical to an existing move.
In the case of multiple winners with the same entry, the winner will be decided via lucky draw.

Submit your entry via the entry postcard that comes with the Coro Coro magazine that is available starting April 15th.

Grand prize: One copy each of Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield.
There will also be a total of 20 copies of SS given at random to 20 participants.

I thought its recoil worked like Mind Blown (so you'll KO yourself with it in 2 turns; it's not like Super Fang on yourself). A little less amazing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Details of the move-naming contest have been released.

Type: Steel
Special
Power: 140
Effects: Does great damage to the foe, but halves user's HP.

The name must be within 8 characters of the following: hiragana, katakana, alphabet, numbers.
The name cannot be identical to an existing move.
In the case of multiple winners with the same entry, the winner will be decided via lucky draw.

Submit your entry via the entry postcard that comes with the Coro Coro magazine that is available starting April 15th.

Grand prize: One copy each of Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield.
There will also be a total of 20 copies of SS given at random to 20 participants.
While certainly a fun idea... um, Pokemon Company, could fans outside of Japan get a chance to name a move too? Doesn't have to be the same Move either, would be fun if each continent (or however they would like to split it up) got their own move to name. Or at the very least include the UK, seems kind of exclusive to just have the Japanese fan name a move for a region that's based on the UK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)