Online Competition EXTREME SPEED! SINGLE BATTLES!!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ES5SMo8WAAASIyc.png

The next Battle Stadium online competition has been announced; Extreme Speed! Singles Battles!! This format is 1v1 battles with no team preview, however you can have 6 in your team!

That's it...

Galar Pokedex 001-397 are allowed, plus Kanto and Alola starters, and Swords of Justice Trio. Pokemon transferred through HOME are also eligible!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Screenshot_33.png

Tried a lot of stuff but found one thing that worked so now it's time to post about it and make sure the ladder starts teching for it so I can never win again

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Icicle Spear
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Mirror Coat

This thing wants 6 moveslots but I chose to go without Toxic and Recover because this kills everything instead. Only lost to special Focus Sash users, Surf Cloyster, Yawn+Protect Sylveon, and flinches. Mixed attackers are really good in this meta anyway so I expect them to get more popular but this thing is really fun regardless.

Other good mons:

Sableye @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / Def / 252 SpA or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Quiet or Relaxed Nature
- Trick
- Disable
- Dark Pulse / Recover
- Dazzling Gleam / Recover / Toxic

forces the foe to Struggle to death. Gleam wins mirrors.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy / Air Balloon / Focus Sash
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or something for sash
Relaxed Nature or something for sash
- Flash Cannon / Iron Head
- Shadow Claw / Shadow Ball / Swords Dance
- Close Combat / Sacred Sword / King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak

This has a lot of sets and is one of the reasons its so nice

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash / Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute
- Encore

with a sash it gets the leech off and then with the low HP it usually recovers a sub's worth of health with Protect stalling to sit there endlessly.

Lapras @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Perish Song
- Curse
- Dive
- Protect

Classic perish stuff but now Lapras can make itself slower to guarantee it is the slowest and therefore wins, also makes Dive actually do damage if they're a random Soundproof mon I guess?

There's a lot of weird stuff on the ladder but most of it is the same. Without team preview I feel it's really unfun unless you just use something silly and don't care about win/loss.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I do have one question though. I finally found a format I excel at (even though my bloodmoon bat is now banned), which of course makes me happy. So I just have one question. How long shall this wonderful, fast paced action based metagame be staying on the official ladder?
Edit: Say, you want to know how much I excel? Let this image show you.
IMG_20200315_105905.jpg

Want to know how I did it? Want to reach the skies on the ladder like me? Here. I'll give you ALL the info on the Pokemon I used so you can get high on the ladder just like me! After all, it can easily beat itself...
Pokemon: Tyranitar
Ability: Sand Stream
Item: Focus Sash
Moves: Crunch, Counter, Stone Edge, Taunt
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Sp.Def
Ability: Adamant

Some other good move choices may be thunder wave, dragon dance, and earthquake.

Last edited:
By no team preview, I think they mean you still choose one of your 6 at the beginning instead of just leading with what you have in front. Doesn't make a huge difference since you can't see the opponent's team, but could have some potential for metagaming if you recognize someone lol.
https://battle.pokemon-home.com/regulation/000000103/en said:
When selecting your Pokémon for battle, you cannot preview your opponent’s Pokémon.
EDIT: I don't even know if Showdown supports this half-team preview. I guess it explains why you have to press a button to see the opponent's team normally.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I thought about the bring 6 pick 1 no preview format a bit and there's almost difference from just bringing the first Pokemon IMO. The only difference may be that there's teamlock in these tours so u have the option to change up your 1 if the meta is clearly different from what u thought it was.

I don't really think Showdown needs to implement the team preview w/ no preview unless u want people to counterpick upon seeing names, I think thats lameo but I guess that's a "gameplay"

I think it'd be more convenient to try different mons if you could choose them from your team inside the match rather than outside (unless all your sets are sash). It's also nice to be able to make a difference and mix things up on the fly if you see that you're fighting against the same foes, instead of just losing every time to the one guy using Chople berry Aegislash or something. Plus it's in the game.

This feels like Warioware and Rock-Paper-Scissors gave birth to an insectoid monster child. Nothing's made me feel quite like a dog eating its own vomit playing against the same person four times in the span of five minutes.

I don't think I had a lot of fun playing on the ladder, but I will say I couldn't stop for a bit? It's a very unique Pokemon experience, I'll give it that. You win or lose the moment Pokemon are tossed out mostly, but there's a bit of charm to managing three of these games all at once. I would play the ladder at least a little bit just because I don't think there's much else like this we've seen. CC 1v1 is probably the closest comparison, but I think consistently having your same Pokemon every game and no team preview is a big difference maker.

I just hate being counterteamed on ladders like this because eventually, someone is gonna get sick of your shit and change to a mon that smashes yours which is why I alternate between mons every so often. Also, those people who used Legendaries to climb :pikuh::blobtriumph:

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I had high hopes, but without team preview in a 1v1, I kinda don't think this meta can be considered competitive.

That said, I'll include my PP stall corvi that has been pretty solid.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Spite
- Iron Head
- Roost

Usually protect the first turn to see what they'll do. Loses to most of the sableeye sets out there. Wins against many of the choiced attackers. The EVs give you a good chance of living a blitz from scarf gdarm.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I just hate being counterteamed on ladders like this because eventually, someone is gonna get sick of your shit and change to a mon that smashes yours which is why I alternate between mons every so often. Also, those people who used Legendaries to climb :pikuh::blobtriumph:
Want to know a tip for those stupid counter teams? You just take a break and then start playing again once all the people who were counter teaming you are gone. Then you can keep playing while destroying everyone, and once you get counter teamed, repeat the process. Trust me, I didn't get to the levels of Elo I do on this format by just playing the game itself. You see, once all the counter teamers are offline, they can't counterteam you.
Now you might be thinking as an excuse: But you could just be some noob and are just saying this stuff, and it's a bunch of lies!
IMG_20200315_220020.jpg

Yeah... Totally (Sarcasam). This proves I'm not just a noob just trying to make a bunch of foul lies. You'll be surprised with how well this strategy works. Trust me, I'm always glad to help people with advice, even if it means people use said advice to destroy me. After all, it'd be horrible if I'm the one having all the fun.

Want to know a tip for those stupid counter teams? You just take a break and then start playing again once all the people who were counter teaming you are gone. Then you can keep playing while destroying everyone, and once you get counter teamed, repeat the process. Trust me, I didn't get to the levels of Elo I do on this format by just playing the game itself. You see, once all the counter teamers are offline, they can't counterteam you.
Now you might be thinking as an excuse: But you could just be some noob and are just saying this stuff, and it's a bunch of lies!
View attachment 227981
Yeah... Totally (Sarcasam). This proves I'm not just a noob just trying to make a bunch of foul lies. You'll be surprised with how well this strategy works. Trust me, I'm always glad to help people with advice, even if it means people use said advice to destroy me. After all, it'd be horrible if I'm the one having all the fun.
I mean yes I do take breaks when people start c-teaming, but it’s just a complaint I have nevertheless.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
By no team preview, I think they mean you still choose one of your 6 at the beginning instead of just leading with what you have in front. Doesn't make a huge difference since you can't see the opponent's team, but could have some potential for metagaming if you recognize someone lol.

EDIT: I don't even know if Showdown supports this half-team preview. I guess it explains why you have to press a button to see the opponent's team normally.
I thought about the bring 6 pick 1 no preview format a bit and there's almost difference from just bringing the first Pokemon IMO. The only difference may be that there's teamlock in these tours so u have the option to change up your 1 if the meta is clearly different from what u thought it was.

I don't really think Showdown needs to implement the team preview w/ no preview unless u want people to counterpick upon seeing names, I think thats lameo but I guess that's a "gameplay"
The implementation of the format on Showdown is due to the limitations of the website itself. They don’t have a “no team preview but still choose what mon you want to use” option; it’s either full team preview or no team preview and open with the lead mon.

Bringing a full team will be worthwhile for the cartridge tournament because chances are you’ll run into someone several times so being able to mindgame them with a different pick could work.

I just wish this had normal team preview like the 3 or 4 previous 1v1 formats in-game.... I can’t think of a reason for the no team preview thing.

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Adding the same ScarfTrick rotom-w I used to top the ladder in 1v1 a few months back. Worked pretty well this morning.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Trick

It's pretty prediction-reliant, but strong. Hydro if tbolt won't 2HKO, dark pulse if the other two are resisted. Trick passive mons a scarf to auto-win (almost always loses to hydregion).

LPT: if you outspeed and 3HKO with dark pulse, and your opponent 2HKOs you, you have a 51% chance of flinching in the first two dark pulses. It's not hax, it's built into the strategy to turn things that should be an auto-loss (like dracozolt or Stall Seismitoad) into a coin flip.

DUX (Sirfetch'd) @ Leek
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab / Leaf Blade / Steel Wing
- Knock Off / Throat Chop / Night Slash
- Meteor Assault
- Feint / Quick Attack / Attract

Sirfetch'd's brute force is really fun. 100% kills Lapras and does ok against aegislash/sableye with scrappy. Steadfast is an option against flinches. Loses to things that live. You could run close combat to move after, but I think Meteor Assault is cool, and it doesn't make contact with King's Shield. The honorable leek gives Sirfetch'd 50% crit and also means he isn't competing for any item slots under item clause, unless you run Sash Counter. Definitely want to add Sirfetch'd to my battle box this week.

I've seen Tsareena used to block priority. A lot of things can kill shedinja. Agree that you see weird stuff if you go too deep in one session

Sorry for the double post, but the competition has started.
DAY 1 results: Rating 1627, rank #7 (subject to change), 12/3 win/loss
1584665198375.png

Notes:
This team was made/finalized on the spot today, but I was satisfied with its performance. One mon in particular won me many games and one did not live up to expectations. In the end, my whole team save one got a win today. It all comes down to picking right.
You get to see the opponent's team after you're finished choosing your mons. Another thing Showdown can't emulate thanks to cancelling. Some people went solo. The ingame meta felt more like random battle stadium singles mons compared to Showdown's sashfest.
One loss was due to a bad set choice going in, another was a bad matchup, and the last simply a misplay in battle.

I completed DAY 1 with 10:5 and rating 1560

I lost to Corsola-Galar twice, also to Flame Orb Milotic, to Iron Ball Perish Song Lapras and last to 3 Waterfall flinches in a row against Gyarados. In total I encountered Gyarados four times, so it may be a good idea to choose a mon that can handle it.

Some people went solo.
... and I'm one of them.

Hi - I’ve been running the standard 1v1Crustle set and went 7-8.
Crustle is cool but the prevelance of Sash + Priority Moves make it tough for it to use Counter, forcing it to rely on boosted Rock Blasts/RNG. It loses hard (unsurprisingly) to Togekiss flinches, Aegislash, and Cloyster. I’m trying Cloyster next, who seems to have the tools Crustle doesn’t in Ice Shard and Skill Link.

I completed DAY 2 again with 10:5 and my rating now is 1630

I lost to the Body Press Avalugg posted by cant say, to Choice Band Darmanitan-Galar, to Focus Sash Gallade, Hitmonlee and a very tanky Perrserker. Today I encountered Aegislash five times, but thankfully none of them was sashed so I could easily beat them all.

DAY 2 results: Rating 1665, rank #100 (subject to change), went 9/6
Notes:
I started today off at #418.
1584757171667.png
battle 1: brionne (W)
battle 2: Metal burst mawile (L... crit chip damage)
battle 3: Hydreigon (L)
battle 4: arcanine (W)
battle 5: hitmonlee normal gem fake out (L)
6: toxapex W
7: Darmanitan Galar Zen W
8: sash excadrill L
9: dracovish W
10: Solo Bisharp W
11: Sash cloyster L
12: lapras Mental herb W
13: primarina (lucky W)
14: hippowdon (W)
15: Communication Interrupted before it started (I thought this would be a W but it let me battle again)
16: tyranitar (very close L)

Peak: rating 1670/#84 at 29 battles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)