F1 2014

Right so F1 2013 has ended, therefore I shall create this thread.

Maldonado has been confirmed at Lotus *Cue 'Big No' moment* We all have varying opinions of which driver we support but I'm sure we can (almost) universally agree that Hulkenberg should have been there instead -.- Here comes all the Maldonado and Grosjean crashing jokes, even if Grosjean has vastly improved... at least Lotus are fine with: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...65108885.40565.173854285966083&type=1&theater

On the bright side, Maldonado is no Karthikeyan and has proven that he has the innate speed; apart from his win he also performed remarkably at Singapore (Until his car broke down), Valencia (Before he crashed into Hamilton) and Abu Dhabi so it's not ALL that bad, maybe the team figured if they could tame Grosjean they could also tame Maldonado... also the likes of Grosjean and Massa didn't exactly earn their top seats but they eventually evolved and proved everyone wrong (Before Massa's accident that is). Still, it's just sad for Hulkenberg ):

Lotus hired Maldonado to resolve a little bt the problem with bugget (Venezuela sponsorship worth 30 milion dollars!).
Imho maldonado is not a really fast driver.
Don't understimate Williams....it has a long experience with V6 Turbo engine and it could be a runner up next year!
I think that actually Ferrari as still no chance to win the title, so if i've to bet i'll say (V)ettel!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
At this rate I am not looking forward to F1 2014 in the slightest.

We might have horrifically ugly cars, mandatory pitstops and engines that explode with tyres that are too tough to wear :/

What the hell is going on at the FIA? We could either get a perfect storm which delivers the most exciting championship since 2010, or we get one team who absolutely nails the new rules and makes it a cakewalk from round 4 onwards. I personally think it's not going to be great season at all... We don't even know 100% who is going to be in what car yet :(

I am so dissapointed that Hulk has gone back to FI and Maldanado has ended up at Lotus :( I think Lotus might go bankrupt through replacement parts next season :/

That's pretty sure! Mal + Gro is the ultimate destroy combo!
Well if this was 2010-2012 then yeah, but Grosjean's psychologist has clearly helped. A lot. Perhaps time to introduce Maldonado to her? I'm not particularly a fan of Maldonado, I would have certainly preferred Hulkenberg to be in Lotus but while some of the criticisms levied on Maldonado are valid, others go too far... he clearly has potential but like a pre-2013 Grosjean, squanders most of it and a part of me wants to see him do well and prove his skeptics wrong.

We shouldn't write off F1 2014 when it hasn't even started yet. Perhaps RBR won't decline like Ferrari did from 2004 to 2005 but I believe it's reasonable to expect that Vettel won't win 9 races in a row with the new regulations. Can't say I like the mandatory pitstops, but increased unreliability is actually a good thing given the very predictable races in the second half of 2013; IMO it adds a much-needed element of risk and unpredictability.

Last edited:
Well if this was 2010-2012 then yeah, but Grosjean's psychologist has clearly helped. A lot. Perhaps time to introduce Maldonado to her? I'm not particularly a fan of Maldonado, I would have certainly preferred Hulkenberg to be in Lotus but while some of the criticisms levied on Maldonado are valid, others go too far... he clearly has potential but like a pre-2013 Grosjean, squanders most of it and a part of me wants to see him do well and prove his skeptics wrong.

We shouldn't write off F1 2014 when it hasn't even started yet. Perhaps RBR won't decline like Ferrari did from 2004 to 2005 but I believe it's reasonable to expect that Vettel won't win 9 races in a row with the new regulations. Can't say I like the mandatory pitstops, but increased unreliability is actually a good thing given the very predictable races in the second half of 2013; IMO it adds a much-needed element of risk and unpredictability.
About Maldonado we have different points of view. Imho he doesn't worth all the money that his sponsor pay to him.
About 2014 something is yet sure: V6 Turbo engine. That meant that the turbo-lag will be back, and from this point of view RB has a clear advantage. What Minardi told after Singapore GP was true: RB has a "TC" system, made by cutting of the number of pistons at the exit of curv. That was developed by Renault's motorist, and in 2014 would be fundamental. If other teams (like Ferrari) won't understand as fast as possible how it work, RB will start to win also the next years...

We said the same thing about Massa joining Ferrari in 2006 and look what happened in 2008... of course he would later decline but that's another story and I won't dismiss Maldonado before seeing what he can do in a Lotus.

And really, traction control? Just how far are some people willing to go to discredit Vettel? Not that the likes of Alonso/Hamilton are helping at all; when Alonso does well it's always down to his prodiguous driving but when he screws up there is always a perfectly good explanation for it but when Vettel does well, it's always down to the car right? >_>

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You have to admit, in recent years, Vettel has been in the fastest car the majority of the time. People are just sick of seeing him win imo. Also, Hulkenberg definitely deserved that seat over Maldonaldo, but hey, what're you gonna do, they needed the money. Plus he does have some potential.

One thing I can tell you is F1 will be racing in the US once this year. New Jersey will never be a fit venue for a street course.

I'm ready for a whole bunch of drama to come this season and with FIA's politics it's going to make for a lot of fun watching teams point fingers going "these people are cheating." Someone is going to nail the new engine and package before everyone else and it'll cost F1 a season, I can feel it.

And really, traction control? Just how far are some people willing to go to discredit Vettel? Not that the likes of Alonso/Hamilton are helping at all; when Alonso does well it's always down to his prodiguous driving but when he screws up there is always a perfectly good explanation for it but when Vettel does well, it's always down to the car right? >_>
I'm not saying that for discredit Vettel. That was an official news, reported by the english press first of all.
That was also confirmed from the fact that Ferrari and FIA knows about that, but that's perfectly legal because is done only with engine maps. I'm not lying.
Wich that, it doesn't mean that Vettel has no talent. Is just a consideration about RB9 and a possible reason why RB10 will start to win also in 2014.

Ah my bad, I see your point... but let's not make any predicitions about 2014 just yet, after all look at what happened to Ferrari from 2004 to 2005. Thing is, no team can dominante forever and RBR will decline sooner or later.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Wow... Have you guys seen some of the new rules they are introducing?

The new noses look like like a... Well... I am sure your imagination can fill in the blank there, and the are adding double points to the last race of the season? What the fuck for? Wouldnt of changed the outcome of the last XYZ amount of championships :/

At least the teams have vetoed the mandatory pitstop plan before that gained any traction, I think that's a great move. If you are good on your tyres why should you be punished for it like Lotus have this year? :(

I'm happy about the Personal Number for drivers, but please LOCK NOW THE 27. No one deserve that number.

About double point in last race that would make sense, if the last race wouldn't be Abu Dhabi...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I'm happy about the Personal Number for drivers, but please LOCK NOW THE 27. No one deserve that number.

About double point in last race that would make sense, if the last race wouldn't be Abu Dhabi...
I wouldnt be surprised if certain numbers are "retired" before they are even used. Like #5 (Mansell) or #27 (To which I assume you mean Gilles?). I know MotoGP "retires" certain numbers if the person who ran those numbers is particularly special (or has something tragic happen to them).

I assume the number 1 will be retained only for the champion of that season, and the champ can decide whether to use that number or not (Valentino Rossi never used the #1 and instead racing with his beloved #46).

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
The "Double Points on Last Race" is the stupidest rule I've ever heard and serves to remind the world F1 is less sport and more entertainment.

Obviusly 27 is refeared to Gilles.
About double point is just a trailer for what will happen in 2015: budget cap. That's the real fatality to this sport.

Yes I dislike the Double Points rule greatly... I mean how is it fair to Raikkonen, Massa and Alonso who would have won the WDC in 2003, 2008 and 2012 respectively had this rule always been in effect? If they wanted to implement the rule it should at least be on a track like Spa or Suzuka >_> Or better yet, let the teams decide on which track they would like to activate double points, like a bonus that can only be used once.

It has just no sense.
The "slam" in F1 are 4: Monza Montecarlo Spa and Silverstone, if you give double point, you have to do in each one of this race.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I know its not related to F1 2014, but I consider this a general F1 thread.

Michael Schumacher was admitted into hospital yesterday after suffering a Skiing accident. As of right now, it seems like he is in a critical condition with possible brain injuries and his life is in danger. His wife and two children are at the hospital in France along with Panis, Jean Todt and the doctor who helped him recover from his broken legs back in 1999.

I hope he recovers well and is ok. More news is set to come out of the hospital in about half an hour or so :(

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
:( He has been downgraded from Critical but still no real news of when they might wake him up or release anymore information about him.

In other news: McLaren has reportedly failed crash tests with their new car, but even more importantly :O Kobayashi is coming back to F1! :D Problem is he is in a Caterham ;_;

I think every seat has now been confirmed which is nice to know, shame about Di Resta losing his place... Very sad about that, he has found refuge back with mercedes in touring cars at DTM level, where he won the Championship previously. Tony Fernandes is also looking to *pull out of F1* if Caterhams position and results do not improve this year after they were beaten to tenth in the constructors by Marussia last year.

Looking forward to testing soon enough :D It's going to be great.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)