F1 2014

like Vettel in that position though.
what happened to kimi, and the Lotuses.. far too slow although Kimi did improve the Ferrari nose :D

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ricciardo indeed is a very good qualifier, splitting the Mercedes... he's in a prime position for a podium and with a bit more luck, maybe even a win on home soil? Something that has eluded Webber for whatever reason... Pity about Vettel's mechanical issues (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/15/software-glitch-hindered-vettels-qualifying/), would have liked to see where he would have ended up relative to Ricciardo in a straight fight. At least we get to see him navigate through traffic tomorrow, not something that happens everyday... well, assuming the car doesn't break down that is.
Oh of course it was a software glitch. Of course.

Well to be honest it was quite boring to me.
And also the engine sound doesn't help to keep me awake.
I'm happy for Ricciardo (i've that in Fanta F1 :D ), and i feel "meh" for Ferrari.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Very interesting race with an even better ending.

I was pretty happy that Ric scored a podium first time out for RB, but I am not sad that he ended up getting DSQ'd for Fuel Flow iregularities. Apparently the FIA told them during the race he was exceeding the regs and for RB to change the mappings... They didn't so he got DSQ'd. End of really.

RB's counter to that is that the FIA sensors are faulty and their own is correct. Yes, because we can definitely take what the team says as gospel @_@

I am very happy to see both McLaren's up there and for Mercedes to win in such convincing fashion. I was also over the moon when Vettel's car broke :3 also pretty about Hamilton's breaking too...

Man of the day for me was definitely Bottas though. That Williams has some serious pace and he was overtaking everything left right and centre. It was an incredible drive from him. Actually, about Williams, did you see how much worse that first corner crash was with Koba "scooping" Massa up and almost lifting him directly into Kobas face? It could of been so much worse :(

I personally think Magnussen did a better job because he didn't hit the wall... Bottas could and should have done better than he did, even if he did score more points in 1 race than Williams did in the whole of 2013. May Vettel and especially Hamilton's car not break down anymore, Rosberg basically 'did a Vettel' today; thankfully he and Hamilton are evenly matched unlike Vettel and Webber so we should hopefully see SOME fight for the WDC.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I personally think Magnussen did a better job because he didn't hit the wall... Bottas could and should have done better than he did, even if he did score more points in 1 race than Williams did in the whole of 2013. May Vettel and especially Hamilton's car not break down anymore, Rosberg basically 'did a Vettel' today; thankfully he and Hamilton are evenly matched unlike Vettel and Webber so we should hopefully see SOME fight for the WDC.
Well yeah, but all Magnussen did was race his race. He didn't make any overtakes and drove to the pace of the car. Yeah it was a great Rookie race for him, but he just drove and didnt get in the way etc... At least Bottas recovered from the problem he had and still got reasonable points!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26639661 looks interesting... :o But I'm sorry the FIA cannot take what a team says as gospel...

I really think that was more of Williams, or should I say Mercedes being a cut above the Renault and Ferrari-powered teams... If Magnussen started in 15th it's likely we'd see the same thing happening... Of course, this is mere speculation; we'll know more about the pace of Williams when Massa isn't hit by someone else. Oh, I bet Maldonado is kicking himself right now; he left Williams the moment they recovered and joined a team that's currently in ruins xD I'd feel sorry for him but the way he acted last year makes it quite difficult.

Edit: When I think about it, this is exactly why some people still doubt Vettel and feel that Alonso is a better driver... no doubt Alonso is very good and is a massive headache to deal with on Sundays but if he can work his way to 2nd-3rd when he starts 5th-6th then doesn't that just mean he is not a very good qualifier? Especially when Massa outqualified him 8 times last year. Granted the lack of overtakes when starting from pole is less entertaining but it's not like Vettel can't work through traffic (Abu Dhabi 2012) in the rare times he's not on the front row. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Pack looks much cloer together at Malaysia on a more conventional track than the rather disapparate times Albery Park was giving us. Practice saw the 2 mercs take the top spots again, but Ferrari and Red Bull are there or there abouts again.

I think this race is going to be a lot closer in terms of outright performance, people are already bringing updates to cars (McLaren reckons theirs is half a second, though it does not look like that much). Chances are there will be some HUGE updates coming at Spain, the first race back in Europe.

Feel really bad for Ricciardo, hopefully he will have better luck next time :/ Also what the hell Williams, you're asking Massa to move over? So glad he ignored that, as if he needs any more psychological damage from moving over for Alonso so many times before... plus he outqualified Bottas for both races already so it's not like he's underperforming like he was in Ferrari.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Well, that was an absolute corker of a race :)

Racing all the way down the field, and massive props to mercedes for turning domination into entertainment by letting their drivers really go for it hammer and tongs throughout the race! Great drives from everyone down the field, Perez snatching third, Ricciardo dicking on Vettel (Yay) and Ferrari's at the bottom of the top ten.

Seriously though, what the hell was Maldanado playing at coming out of the pits :/ Such a stupid move. Another 3 points and a 5 place grid penalty for China is a good start. I think FIA need tobe pretty liberal with these punishments for drivers colliding in such a way. Some instances there doesnt need to be blame opportioned, but sometimes I think it is right.

F1 in Bahrain at Night was an amazing spectacle. Probably the best Bahrain GP there has ever been tbh!

Indeed, never seen such an entertaining race in a while... I only wished Rosberg would have got past Hamilton on the last lap, that would have been the ultimate twist of events (Think Button on Vettel at Canada 2011)... And yes Ricciardo got the better of Vettel this race although as a fan on him I certainly hope it doesn't happen too often >_>

And as for Maldonado, oh god this guy never learns and he even had the nerve to blame Gutierrez for it... at least Grosjean admits his mistakes which is why he got so much better at the last 1/3 of 2013, perhaps Grosjean can do something about it because at this rate I expect to see Pic in Maldonado's seat before the end of the season.

In my opinion is a quite boring season.
Despite the Bahrain race, i didn't enjoy so much the other races.
Over all, the sound of engine is horrible.
I hope for some improvement :-\

BTW, i trade:
Maldonado
Ability:
Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk Sp / 252 Atk / 4 Def Sp
Nature: Brave
Self-Destruct
Leer
Body Slam
Mean Look

Well literally turning Gutierrez's world upside-down is a record, even by his standards... his speed is not in question but he is an unstable time-bomb. Thankfully Lotus has made considerable recovery so we should hopefully see the Maldonado that held off Alonso of all people to give Williams their first win in 8 years.... also this season's no better than 2013, only difference is that the Mercs are dominating instead of the Bulls... even then the Bulls were never 1.7 seconds faster per lap like the Mercs in Bahrain.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Well literally turning Gutierrez's world upside-down is a record, even by his standards... his speed is not in question but he is an unstable time-bomb. Thankfully Lotus has made considerable recovery so we should hopefully see the Maldonado that held off Alonso of all people to give Williams their first win in 8 years.... also this season's no better than 2013, only difference is that the Mercs are dominating instead of the Bulls... even then the Bulls were never 1.7 seconds faster per lap like the Mercs in Bahrain.
The thing is, at least Merc are allowing their drivers to race in what seems to be equal equipment. Red Bull never seemed to have their guys in equal equipment. Its giving me great joy to see Ricciardo over coming Vettel this season so far :)

China was a kinda disappointing race after the excitement of Bahrain, but it was still good. I hope whatever comes out of the meeting that was conducting yesterday is a positive step forward and we get the smaller teams back into the fold as soon as possible. Its not right that the big teams can afford to spend 300 million USD in order to be competitive and the small teams have budgets of less than 70 million. I am assuming you can get a lot of tech/power with 200 million dollars lol.

Pretty happy with how the season is progressing tbh, Merc vs Merc is awesome. Rosberg wasn't exactly happy with how Hamilton defended in Bahrain so I don't know what Mercedes are doing.

The thing is, at least Merc are allowing their drivers to race in what seems to be equal equipment. Red Bull never seemed to have their guys in equal equipment. Its giving me great joy to see Ricciardo over coming Vettel this season so far :)
Yeah I get it, hardly anyone likes Vettel because he wins so often and that's perfectly fine, if Hamilton keeps this up for a couple of seasons (Provided Rosberg doesn't strike back) he'll probably 'earn' a following of haters as well... but can we not blindly resort to unfounded accusations and make Webber out to be some victim of second-class treatment and Vettel the personification of Satan, I believe we are above that; Webber was simply never as good as Vettel (Hey, Ricciardo is coping just fine despite supposedly filling the de factor #2 slot)... Anyone who continues to believe in such ridiculous and unfounded accusations can know how wrong they all are here: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/12/22/webbers-real-misfortune-was-to-be-vettels-team-mate/

Honestly, people bash on Vettel for Sepang 2013 but they conveniently ignore Webber doing the exact same thing in Silverstone 2011 or worse, Interlagos 2012 where he actually blocked Vettel at the start and let the Ferraris through despite not being in contention for the title. I fail to see what makes Webber any better than Vettel character-wise, all I see is a bitter person who knows how to play the victim and sympathy card since he can't beat his teammate on-track. Heck, I'm already liking Ricciardo a lot better even though he's beating Vettel if only because he doesn't come off as someone trying to play the victim and sympathy card every other race weekend.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Yet another Mercedes whitewash... At least Rosberg made a good shot at it once again. I was kinda shocked Hamilton didn't have any real way to answer Rosberg in the closing laps.

Good job to Ricciardo finally making it to the podium proper after his podium in Australia was taken away from him. Red Bull have proved their Chassis works well and they just need more oooomph from the renault engine and they might be able to get a little closer to Mercedes.... 0.7 of a second lead a lap over your closest rivals must make for very happy reading in the Mercedes garage at the moment.

A decent showing from the Ferrari boys and yet more dissapointment for McLaren as they struggle to get back to the same performance they showed in Australia. What a shock Maldanado binned it in quali and then smacked Eriksson in the race! Another penalty point applied to his license...

I am very interested in this "Flexi wing" which has been shown in numerous peices of footage from the Red Bulls... On the front of their sidepod is a winglet which seems to deflect quite drastically when under high load. No idea of its function, but there was some serious movement during practice on that wing.

Heard some politics moved Alonso ahead of Raikkonen... whether or not it's true or mere conspiracies is another story but Alonso has a reputation of making his teammates his slave (Fisichella, Piquet, Massa) and when they can actually challenge him (Trulli, Hamilton) they are promptly kicked out of the team or in Hamilton's case, he ragequits back to his former team. Maybe we'll know in the future as things get clearer.

Liked Vettel's recovery to 4th, though I guess I'm the minority here... do we actually have a chance of seeing another team but Mercedes win a race this season ._. If anyone has a chance it's RBR and Vettel/Ricciardo. Also does anyone feel impressed by Grosjean this season, he's doing pretty much what Alonso's been doing in 2012 except lower down the grid; dragging that tin can of a Lotus up the grid and into the points is pretty mighty given that Lotus were even behind Caterham/Marussia at Melbourne.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
;_;

Sir Jack Brabham has died aged 88. Triple world champion and the only man to win a title in a car bearing his own name. I've seen some of his driving in archive videos, hard as nails.

RIP.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
;_;

Sir Jack Brabham has died aged 88. Triple world champion and the only man to win a title in a car bearing his own name. I've seen some of his driving in archive videos, hard as nails.

RIP.
Plus he was an Aussie! RIP, he will be sorely missed.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Considering the rumours I am pretty sure Fernandes wants out of F1 now... He's all but confirmed he wants to sell up and move onto something else. I was reading some translated news reports from a friend who said that they were claiming it was the drivers fault. We all know Kamui is a podium class driver so its certainly not their fault they are driving a tractor.

All things being serious, the points for Marussia is a HUGE boost for the team. They are actually ahead of Sauber in the constructors who are having their worst ever start to a season. I dont even know how many rules marussia broke to get there, not big ones just silly sporting regs with odd penalties... but doesnt matter they made it.

I am sensing more and more fracture between Hamilton ans Rosberg, especially after the quali "incident". Nico and Lewis grew up together (and they seemed like genuine friends) and now I'm worried that that friendship has fallen apart and exploded. Lewis needs to find a way to be comfortable with his teammate being able to match him, the same things started to happen in the year Button beat him over the season. I don't remember him being to happy about that either.

Otherwise, great GP all round. Decent racing and Ricciardo scoring yet another podium is great to see :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)