Favorite Cover Songs

So, I've been listening to a host of cover songs and I have found that a few of them are good while the rest blow.

Now, I'd rather this not turn into a debate thread, but more of a thread where we can share some of the better cover songs out there.

Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies have some good covers. "I'll be There" and "Rocket Man" are the two I listen to the most. If you are into the whole pop/punk rock thing, give them a listen.

"You Outta Know" covered by the Killing Moon is a really fun cover. It is a fun drive-fast song. haha.

The Hit the Lights cover of "Hey Jealousy" isn't half bad. You might have to be in the mood for it though.

The Halifax cover of "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul always puts a smile on my face. I can't explain why but it just cracks me up.

So, please, try to keep from debating the songs. Just post some you like. maybe some you dislike....just don't get hung up on it.

The main thing coming to mind here for me is Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cheese_and_Lounge_Against_the_Machine) . In spite of being a cover band they are my favorite band. I think largely because I don't like most of the original versions of songs they cover I tend to enjoy their versions of it a lot more than I might otherwise but even in cases where I like the original I often enjoy their version more - they are pretty swell imo. Personal favorites being their versions of Stairway to Heaven(Led Zeppelin), Creep(Nine Inch Nails), Loser(Beck), Rape Me(Nirvana), Feeling This(blink-182), and Sunday Bloody Sunday(U2).

Although while on the subject of cover bands I feel the need to give a shout out to Nudist Priest(google it, obviously NSFW!), because when the cover band is just an inferior imitation to the original as they are you need a good gimmick to be great and they definitely have it, hahah.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I love Counting Crows cover of Friend of the Devil by the Grateful Dead, and I seriously think it's better than the original.

A few of my favorite covers:

Ryan Adams - Wonderwall
Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
The White Stripes - Jolene
Jimi Hendrix - Killing Floor

Guns N'Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Sonata Arctica - Still Loving You
Sonata Arctica - Fade to Black

those are probably my favorite covers i think

Are Parody's of original songs included as covers? If so I think Weird Al' deserves the biggest mention.

Other cover songs I truly enjoy:-
Me first and the gimme gimmes - Phantom of the Opera
Omi Henk - Barbie Girl (Generally thought to be Rammstein, but According to my sources it's this man)(Also read the lyrics of this guy's version)
Hayseed Dixie - Various Songs (A ACDC Hillybilly tribute band)
Hobo Jones and the Junkyard dogs - Various Songs (This band is one of my favourite bands of all times, I watched them twice at the Beautidul Days Festival (england). They are a Skiffle band, and cover such songs as American Idiot, Ooh Ahh just a little bit) Visit their myspace http://www.myspace.com/junkyarddogs </shameless Advertisement>
The Levellers - Devil went down to Georgia

And many more...

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Can't believe no one's mentioned one of the greatest covers of all time: Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower".

Other than that, I like CCR's cover of "I Put a Spell on You", Reel Big Fish's rendition of "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" (or pretty much any of their covers), and Alanis Morissette's version of "My Humps".

In addition to ones already mentioned:

Guns 'N Roses- It's Alright (originally by Black Sabbath)
Reba McEntire- Fancy (Bobbie Gentry)
Dwight Yoakam- Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen)
Elvis Presley- Peace in the Valley (Mahalia Jackson)
Bob Seger- You Never Can Tell/C'est La Vie (Chuck Berry)

Built to Spill - Cortez the Killer

Great cover. Around 3 times the length of the original due to guitar soloing but it never strays from the sound of the song and adds so much to it.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nightwish - Over The Hills and Far Away (Gary Moore)
Nightwish - The Phantom of the Opera (Andrew Lloyd Webber)
Nightwish - Walking in the Air (Howard Blake)
Blackfield - Thank You (live only) (Alanis Morissette)
Sonata Arctica - Fade To Black (Metallica)
Ensiferum - Battery (Metallica)
Dream Theater - Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden)
Any Apocalyptica cover

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
Van Halen - You Really Got Me (The Kinks)

Two covers I enjoy at the moment. I've never heard the originals of either, so I can't compare them.

Slowdive covering Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood's Some Velvet Morning
Cult of Luna doing the Smashing Pumpkins' Bodies in sludge metal style
Boris & Merzbow turning the Beatles' I Am the Walrus into a noisefest

My favorite cover song has to be

Dynamite Hack - Boys in the Hood

A cover of Easy E's song.

One of my favorite songs ever.

Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower is pretty good

My favorite cover, though, is Black Sabbath's version of Warning (by Aynsley Dunbar)

As for covers that I dislike, the Guitar Hero versions of Free Bird and The Devil Went Down to Georgia are god-awful.

Sweet Dreams - Marylin Manson (I know I can't spell the name)

I heard the original, but this metalish version is very nice.

Natasha Bedingfield's covers of "The Scientist" and "Somewhere Only We Know" are absolutely magical.

I also really like Carrie Underwood's "I'll Stand By You," Reba McEntire's "Because of You," and Corinne Bailey Rae's "Sexyback."

Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower is pretty good

My favorite cover, though, is Black Sabbath's version of Warning (by Aynsley Dunbar)

As for covers that I dislike, the Guitar Hero versions of Free Bird and The Devil Went Down to Georgia are god-awful.
Now I'm not positive but isn't this one a master track?

Sinead O'Connors cover of Nothing Compares 2 U by Prince is pretty good. Otherwise I can't remember much else.
i couldnt agree more. i grew up with that song, and it still puts a lump in my throat.

jose gonzalez does a beautiful acoustic cover of heartbeats, which was originally done by the knife. beyond that, i cant think of much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)