Final Fantasy III DS

I posted this on Nintendo forums before so it might seem kind of weird, but here goes.

Platform: Nintendo DS
Developer: Square Enix and Matrix Software
Genre: Role-playing Game
Release Date: November 24, 2006

Final Fantasy is one of the most renowned series in the entirety of gaming history. With countless games under its belt, this series has managed to snare many in it's addicting grasp. In its humble American beginnings, the development company of its success, Square Enix, released a game for the Nintendo Entertainment System simply called Final Fantasy, and another titled Final Fantasy II. After that, Square Enix released their sixth game, Final Fantasy IV, in America but renamed it as Final Fantasy III. The true Final Fantasy III seemed to deviate from the series and therefore was lost. However, Square got wise and planned a remake for the game. And here we are, roughly two and half years later with a solid game that will stand the test of time.

The early Final Fantasy games were not known for their plots, mostly corresponding to the first one. In fact, Final Fantasy III seems to merely rip the storyline of Final Fantasy I and add in a few more characters and more of a plot and call it a day. That's not a bad thing, though - in fact, since Square left this storyline intact the "retro" feel is greatly enhanced.

Sticking to the original material, the basic story itself is drawn out early in the game. As usual, four chosen warriors of light were told by the Wind Crystal to seek out the other crystals and protect them from an unnamed evil. This time, though you can name these warriors, although their canon names are Luneth, Refia, Ingus, and Arc. Again, this plays out a lot like the original. You meet a wide array of characters along the way, most of which accompany you for a period of time in the game to aid you in battles and for plot development. Going hand-in-hand with the character accompanying, the earlier parts of the game revolve around getting items, and finding ways to unlock other areas eventually leading up to a dungeon with the Crystal in it. For example, to get to the first dungeon where the first boss lies, you need an Airship which a helpful character, Cid, will lend to you if you promise to break the curse the boss holds over everyone in the area. Sometimes, though, things pile up too much and you can easily forget what you are even planning to do. The lack of character development as well is a sad misfortune that could have been added while keeping the plot intact.

There are some very interesting story points in the game that will always keep you guessing and will generally give you a lot to keep you playing. Let's face it; the plot is pure old school. Some love it for its nostalgia, some hate it just because it's not as shallow as other RPGs. It's not Final Fantasy VI, but it works well for the game.

As I said before, the early game revolves around item collecting and dungeon crawling. The only way to unlock more areas is by doing something at the end of one area, or completing a plot event that garners you a special item. For example, you have to save a Viking Cove from a rampaging sea deity by venturing into an ancient temple. In the temple you must find a ruby eye that goes on a statue of the ocean deity, and when that occurs the monster will calm itself down. As a reward from the vikings, you get a ship. This is primarily what happens early in the game, and is in fact a major play device throughout the game.

Final Fantasy is often credited as the series that pioneered turn based battling, since it makes radical changes to the battling system in each new title. For the third entry? Jobs. Yes, this was the first game to bring out the revolutionary job system. It has held up ridiculously well for today, and is a very helpful addition for a players who wants to do things themselves. The premise of jobs is like this: as you "save" another of the four crystals of light, you will unlock a plethora of new jobs. Each job does something unique. A Knight has staggering defensive characteristics, while a Warrior is more trigger happy and is an all out offensive class. When you switch a job, you'll have something called the Job Adjustment Phase. In this phase your stats will be halved, until the set amount of battles have been fought. When you have battled the number of encounters that was told, your stats will be set back to normal and you will have that job. Don't be fooled by the name job, though. You're not going to be working for a living in Final Fantasy III; jobs are just a way to create your team the way you want for battles.

Each job boasts unique equipment, stats, and a special ability. Dragoons, for example, use spears and lances as their primary weapon and have an ability called Jump, which has them jumping into the air for one turn and then crashing down on the enemy the next, doing massive damage. With jobs comes job points, and as you win battles you get these job points, eventually leveling up for your job. With the higher level you have, the more times you will hit when you attack, the maximum hit count being 32. Jobs are the way to make your own unique team, and with so many of them, that just makes it more fun.

So now we know about jobs, but what about the actual battling portion of the game? It's the same old turn based stuff, nothing new. You have an absolute gargantuan amount of enemies to fight throughout the game, and with that many enemies you'll need to level up. Yes, as with many other RPGs you're going to be going through tedious turn based battles getting experience. It may be the same thing you've done for years now, but for some odd reason it still seems fresh and exciting, especially with jobs and the aforementioned special abilities they possess. But then again, it gets repetitive fast and is one of those things that bore you quickly.

Items are a huge factor in the game. There are just so many of them that you will need to utilize a certain system in the game to store them. There are basic items, such as Potions, Antidotes and Eye Drops to handle the overflow of status conditions, but then you get to ones that do nearly everything imaginable. This overabundance of items is, basically, a confusing blessing.

The difficulty in Final Fantasy III can easily be described as hard. Tons of level grinding is necessary to actually do well in the game, and unfortunately Phoenix Downs (an item that revives your characters when they are "dead" are nowhere in sight, and can only be found in secret areas. With such little amounts of restoratives you will constantly find yourself saving before any major area, and even having difficulty against overworld enemies.

Nintendo's WiFi connection has had massive success for Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime Hunters, but what about Final Fantasy III? All you can really do is send mail to fellow players to help unlock a side quest leading to incredibly powerful items and a hidden job. Let's face it, WiFi wasn't utilized fully in this title. Item trading? Co-op play? They were sadly not realized here, but fortunately that doesn't deteriorate the gameplay at all.

What you first notice about Final Fantasy III are the superb graphics. Textures are smooth for the most part, polygon count is high and the frame-rate is strong. Gorgeous 3D visuals and environments are one of the major reasons that keep you hooked to the game. Enemy art is astounding, unique models for each weapon and class were added and perfect... I could ramble on and on about how Square is pushing the boundaries for the Nintendo DS technology, and it's true. Final Fantasy III is a cinematic masterpiece as well, if you take the time to watch the entire CGI introduction. Just don't let your jaw break the DS when it drops.

Music is perhaps the pinnacle in Final Fantasy success, and I stand by that statement with strong regard as I listen to the haunting score of the Temple of Time (in no relation to Zelda). Nobuo Uematsu composed the music for the title, and it's no less than epic. Each tune is unique and fitting for the atmosphere, and fleshes out each location flawlessly. Some of the tracks are even worthy of being hummed to. Although the music isn't the most memorable compared to other Final Fantasy games, by itself it is outstanding.

Overall, Final Fantasy III is a must have for anyone who enjoys RPGs and wants a unique challenge. It's driven by emotional music and fantastic visuals, but the gameplay itself is just so nostalgic and addicting you can't help but think this game is def. The only extreme negative I can think of is that if you think of this title as a modern day video game, you will be a little disappointed by how little depth it contains compared to things like Elder Scrolls or later Final Fantasy games.

Overall: 8.25/10

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of FFIII for a while and I haven't had any luck. Kudos to you for getting one.

Guess all I can do now is go back to FFI, II, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX.

I played final fantasy tactics advance. It was a great game. it looks like this game is a bit the same. Looks like it's a great game anyway.

I played final fantasy tactics advance. It was a great game. it looks like this game is a bit the same. Looks like it's a great game anyway.
Personally I can't understand what FFTA and FF3 have in common... I never played FF3 but i did finish FFTA. FFTA is tactics, FF3 is a turn-based rpg. I could understand if you told something like "hey, ff12 reminds me of ffta" because of all the similarities between them, but this, I cannot understand.

I saw some videos of this on youtube. Wow, I dare to compare this game's graphics to FF9, back in the playstation. I think the graphics of FF3 MIGHT be better. I'm impressed.

Good review!

this game pissed me the fuck off.

the whole idea of levelling up your classes as well as your normal level was idiocy; by the time you get access to a 'good class', youve leveled your 'mediocre class' so fucking much through playing the game that switching is stupid.

really, really poorly designed. i hated it. i never played the original, though. heres to hoping they dont fucking up ffiv ds.

i still thoroughly enjoyed it, but that may be because i never played other final fantasy games other than 1 and 2 before i wrote this. having played 6 now, looking back this is really wasn't as good a game lol.

Personally I can't understand what FFTA and FF3 have in common... I never played FF3 but i did finish FFTA. FFTA is tactics, FF3 is a turn-based rpg. I could understand if you told something like "hey, ff12 reminds me of ffta" because of all the similarities between them, but this, I cannot understand.

I saw some videos of this on youtube. Wow, I dare to compare this game's graphics to FF9, back in the playstation. I think the graphics of FF3 MIGHT be better. I'm impressed.

Good review!
Same jobs, moves and weapons. Maybe a few more weapons, jobs and mvoes, but that's it. That's what they have in common. So the nice looking weapons and jobs won't look nice anymore for me. I played 180 hours FFTA, so I know every single weapon, move and job lol.

Final Fantasy III as it was released in Japan for the SNES wasn't that bad mechanically, but the DS version has the class layout changed without appropriate adjustments being made; for the first half of the game, you're getting equipment that you won't be able to use until you're nearing the end, at which point it is still inferior to what you can buy. They also nerfed a lot of the magic using classes, making it a pain to beat splitting enemies, and the attack animations seemed laborious. It wasn't that great graphically, either, which was the main reason that many people claimed to have purchased it.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Final Fantasy III as it was released in Japan for the SNES wasn't that bad mechanically, but the DS version has the class layout changed without appropriate adjustments being made; for the first half of the game, you're getting equipment that you won't be able to use until you're nearing the end, at which point it is still inferior to what you can buy. They also nerfed a lot of the magic using classes, making it a pain to beat splitting enemies, and the attack animations seemed laborious. It wasn't that great graphically, either, which was the main reason that many people claimed to have purchased it.
I agree. I first played FF3 in a translated rom about... shit 8 years ago? I got up to this one part where you had to transform into a toad to enter a dungeon... anyways, it was a really fun game, it didn't haver any of the problems that everyone is describing in this thread. It's too bad they ruined it with this port.

I agree. I first played FF3 in a translated rom about... shit 8 years ago? I got up to this one part where you had to transform into a toad to enter a dungeon... anyways, it was a really fun game, it didn't haver any of the problems that everyone is describing in this thread. It's too bad they ruined it with this port.
well, thats the thing. its not a port, its a full-on remake. i would like to get my hands on the original, though.

GB_Packers_Ftw

LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN
It's a great game, i really enjoyed it. Wi-fi was a disapointment but besides that great game with a great story

I played this for a while and then just stopped. I'm sure the job system was fresh in the original release, but today it's just a really bland console RPG. It's difficult without requiring a lot of skill and honestly felt like a chore to play most of the time.

i really hated the game, it is not even remotely comparable to ff6, the job level system was retarded, my monk was way stronger before he changed to black belt, no save point in the dungeons was retarded, too.
i died in the final dungeon and i didn't bother to replay the fucking 2-hour long dungeon, because it was so fucking boring.
i expected to much, i guess.

I hate this game.. I mean, there's hard, which I can bear, but then there's just fucking annoying. I mean, the first dungeon, I got OHKOed by everything. I've played a couple other final fantasies, and a load of other RPGs, but I hate this one.

I'm still playing this game on and off, and iirc I'm right in front of the final boss, who I can't figure out how to beat, and I don't feel like dying and replaying the dungeon meh

Anyway, I still thought that this was a really good game, grinding got tedious, but that's what you should expect from most RPGs anyway. A couple times I got confused as to where I had to go, which tends to happen to me a lot.

The classes are interesting, but all I did was use color mages until I got the magus and devout, and stick with a warrior the entire game. My fourth character got stuck in all the shitty jobs that I couldn't figure out what to do with (theif, viking, etc). I think I could have beaten it with warrior/bard/color mages unless I wanted to do some level 8 magic, so kind of pointless to switch.

My only real regret is I never figured out how to use most of the really cool weapons I got in the last dungeon, like the moonring blade thing and the kiku-ichimonji ( I think I spelled that right)

I liked it overall, but I lost all intrest when my battery died and my savegame got deleted. A lot of the boss fights were extremely frustrating and a lot of them were pathetically easy, they seemed unable to maintain a balance between the two at all.

Oh, and color magic SUCKED BALLS. Seriously, mages die in one hit from a boss 100% of the time, what is the point in using them? The only magic user I had was a devout, my party was Black Belt/Ninja/Dark Knight/Devout. Summoners were ok but they seriously raped magic in that game, that was the most major letdown.

I hate this game.. I mean, there's hard, which I can bear, but then there's just fucking annoying. I mean, the first dungeon, I got OHKOed by everything. I've played a couple other final fantasies, and a load of other RPGs, but I hate this one.
No wonder you hated the game... You couldn't even get past the 1st dungeon.

As for me, I love this game and reading this thread makes me want to pick it up and play it again. I'm still trying to get some FC's so I can do those little buddy quest.

I still need the Onion Knight. :[

I was going to get this and then I thought to myself, "Hey, why should I get this game when I can get FFVI for cheaper?"

The generality of class assignments, obsoleteness of almost all of them after acquiring new ones, emotionless and almost non-existant storyline/characters, long&boring story progression, barebones fighting style and slowpaced action along with impossible-to-obtain secret items without looking at guides mad me feel this was shitty and undeserving purchase.

its a great game. i enjoyed the many types of classes you could choose. however the storyline was a little bland. 8/10

I played this game and enjoyed it, however I really wish that Square-Enix would stop rehashing old games and update more than just graphics. The storyline was almost nonexistent and there needed to be more save points.

I was hoping for much more character development of maybe they could have just remade final fantasy 6 instead because I'd really look forward to playing a rehash of that game.

I guess it doesn't really matter that the random encounters and boring questing that is tired and drawn out got new and improved graphics, square-enix fans will buy anything.

I got halfway then deleted it off my flashcart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)