SM OU First OU Team

Hiya.
I've been playing Showdown for a while, but I'm really no good at building decent teams. I did manage to create one based from Stakataka (because I love bulky, defensive Pokemon) using some info from this very website, and it's actually the first team to do really well. I would appreciate my team having a look, and any opinions you all might have.

Stakataka @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature

- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Trick Room
- Stone Edge

As previously mentioned, I prefer to have more defensive Pokemon over offensive ones. Alas, just being more resilient against attacks won't get you very far (at least, not that I know of). Thankfully, Stakataka's pitiful speed makes Gyro Ball hit fairly hard and being a perfect check to Fairy types that threaten Scrafty. It's also effective against Ice types for both Tangrowth and Zapdos. Protect is useful to let Stakataka avoid taking damage and from receiving any status. I had heard that Trick Room wasn't very popular for teambuilding, but it works quite nicely in Stakataka's favor. I have yet to come across a Pokemon that managed to out-speed it while Trick Room's active. Stone Edge is helpful for damaging the Fire, Ice, Bug and Flying types that Tangrowth can't do much against. Stakataka's EVs are set so that when it defeats an opponent, Beast Boost will raise its defense.

Scrafty @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature

- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Toxic
- Drain Punch

Scrafty is admittedly one of my personal favorites, and this one's mainly used for support. Knock Off removes items such as Eviolite so that Scrafty's partners can handle other Pokemon better. Fake Out gives its teammate a free turn to either attack or set up, and I almost always pair either Scrafty or Incineroar with Stakataka. Toxic is handy to spread around status to make opposing Pokemon fall easier, especially to OHKO Shedinja (who would just ignore Knock Off if holding a Focus Sash). Drain Punch checks the Steel types that Stakataka's attacks don't hurt much, as well as Rock types for Zapdos. It also heals Scrafty a bit, depending on the effectiveness. Scrafty has the ability Intimidate, which works well for teammates like Gardevoir. I guess the Focus Sash isn't probably needed, but I figure that Scrafty can at least fire a Toxic before succumbing.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature

- Hyper Voice
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Psychic

Gardevoir, despite being specially defensive, I brought along to take care of the Fighting types that might give Scrafty, Stakataka and Incineroar trouble. Hyper Voice becomes a powerful, Pixilate-boosted Fairy move once Gardevoir Mega Evolves that hits both opposing Pokemon. Will-O-Wisp spreads burns, which cripples physical attackers along with Scrafty and Incineroar's Intimidate. Protect is just utility, letting Gardevoir prevent damage and status. Psychic is helpful to take care of the Poison types that check Gardevoir, and can be used to target only one opponent unlike Hyper Voice. I like to pair Gardevoir with Incineroar, who takes care of Steel types for it, while Gardervoir can handle Fighting types. Trace is sometimes handy, letting Gardevoir copy the foe's ability (for example, in one match it copied Seaking's Lightning Rod, making its partner Lanturn's Electric moves useless).

Incineroar @ Incinium-Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature

- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Darkest Lariat

I won't lie, when Sun/Moon first came out I wasn't too sure of what to make of Incineroar (Primarina's my favorite amongst the three Alola starters). Its attack is impressive, and both defensive stats aren't too shabby, either. Flare Blitz is incredibly helpful for taking on Steel and Grass types for Gardevoir and Tangrowth, respectively. Fake Out is for the same purpose as Scrafty's, letting its partner have a free turn to set up or to defeat an already weakened opponent. Protect is utility, saving Incineroar from status that would make it last even less (thanks to Flare Blitz's recoil damage). Darkest Lariat takes care of opposing Psychic types, and when combined with Incinium-Z becomes Incineroar's signature, Malicious Moonsault. Incineroar's speed leaves something to be desired, but Trick Room alleviates this. Intimidate will cut the foe's attack, helping out frail teammates such as Gardevoir or Zapdos.

Tangrowth @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature

- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power Ice

Tangrowth's Giga Drain allows it to check Ground types for Incineroar and Stakataka, and Rock types for Zapdos. It will also sap a bit of the foe's health to replenish Tangrowth's. Protect, same as always, avoids status moves that would lessen Tangrowth's longevity. Sleep Powder puts the opponent to sleep, leaving it unable to do anything and giving Tangrowth's partners chances to attack or set up. I like to partner Tangrowth with Zapdos, but it works well in tandem with Gardevoir, too. Hidden Power Ice is coverage, hitting Flying and Grass types effectively. Regenerator restores a bit of Tangrowth's health after switching out, which it can do after spraying Sleep Powder and letting a teammate in for free. I gave it a Wiki Berry, too, so it might keep its health up even better.

Zapdos @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

- Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
- Protect
- Hidden Power Ice

I included Zapdos in the final slot because its moves cover just a bit of everything. Thunderbolt covers Flying types for Tangrowth, and Water types for both Incineroar and Stakataka. It's not as powerful as Thunder, but it has better accuracy. Heat Wave damages opposing Steel, Grass, Bug and Ice types. Protect is there to keep Zapdos healthy and free of any status. For a last move, I gave Zapdos Hidden Power Ice to take care of the Ground types that it otherwise wouldn't be able to do much about. It also helps take care of them for Incineroar and Stakataka, too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess that's about it for right now. Sorry for the possible information dump, but Smogon does say to be descriptive about how you use your Pokemon. Anyways, I'm open to any suggestions or if I have any discrepancies please let me know. Thank you for your time.

~ Crunk
b0076698154019a4a253c12327e77e85c13ec4b2_00.gif

Hi, just a few things to ajuste. You have a lot protect users, but in Singles protect is just good em some pokémon, because you lose iniciative. Scrafty and Incineroar are not popular in OU, maybe you could replace for Landorus Chooice Scarf and put trick room magearna in your team.
Zapdos dos not need protect, maybe roost its better and discharge.
I make a few modifications, just to you see.
https://pokepast.es/af61b73a733a4a61

Ah, thank you for the input! It sounds ridiculous, but sometimes I genuinely forget that Magearna even exists. It would make a better replacement for Stakataka, though, considering it can do more offensively.

What do you think about giving Zapdos Volt Switch instead? It's not as powerful as Discharge, but it doesn't hit allies and switches Zapdos out for a better Pokemon.

Ah, thank you for the input! It sounds ridiculous, but sometimes I genuinely forget that Magearna even exists. It would make a better replacement for Stakataka, though, considering it can do more offensively.

What do you think about giving Zapdos Volt Switch instead? It's not as powerful as Discharge, but it doesn't hit allies and switches Zapdos out for a better Pokemon.
This isn't an issue in OU. OU is a singles format.

I just noticed how your team lacks a real Heatran answer (Gardevoir ain't tanking Flash Cannon anytime soon, and Lando takes a good chunk from Magma Storm/risk getting burned by Lava Plume). I suggest to use Mega Alakazam or Mega Lati@s over Mega Gardevoir due to their superior matchups against the Fire/Steel mon (watch out for Steelium Z variants, however, since Corkscrew Crash 1HKO both on the Switch in)
Here are the sets I recommend using for each mon, use the one that suits the team/your tastes more.

Alakazam @ Alakazamite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball / Calm Mind
- Recover

Latios @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam / Draco Meteor
- Recover

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Last edited:

can work to, a volt turn core with Landorus, but discharge is more comum :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)