First Pokemon Game?

I remember I started by borrowing Diamond from Blockbuster. I decided I liked it. So, my dad went to China and he bought a pirated cartridge (it's memory broke down and it's prone to random shutdowns; it also doesn't work on anything newer than a DS Lite) of Pokemon Diamond. I was hooked. I overleveled my Torterra because I thought I would lose progress if I lost a battle. I had a Torterra to face Gardenia. It was level 80 when I soloed the Elite 4. I bought every Gen 4 main game.
Man, I remember when I found out about Platinum, I was so hyped for that game!

My first Pokemon game was sapphire. Before I had the game I had owned the cards all the way back to the base set, so I knew what Pokemon was however I had no idea how the games worked. I don't recall a ton from my original Pokemon sapphire other than I really only had one good Pokemon, which was my sceptile. It was level 79 when I faced the Pokemon league for the first time. I put probably around 100hrs on my file and even found mirage island (I assumed it was just a normal island at the time). Then one day, on a whim I reset my game and forever lost my first Pokemon, my sceptile that ended up being level 97 when all was said and done. Fortunately he lived on for a while in my secret base on my friend's game (we mixed records). He's now long gone though, which in retrospect makes me extremely sad:(

The first game I actually played was Blue with a Game Boy Pocket. I recall I've picked the Potion on the box before choosing my starter (Bulbasaur) without even reading the guide. I was bored by the fact you had to change your pokemon boxes every time you reached the maximum limit (no automatic change of box) and the fact that one of the few guides on paper was full of mistakes (i.e. Farfetch'd evolving into Doduo...maybe it would be better or Victrebell described as a HUMAN-eater plant...). Amnesia Slowbro was just broken; slow but broken. The limit of 20 items was a pain sometimes, but in Gen 1 -at least- the elemental stones were buyable (a feature missing in Gold and Silver; such a shame!) bar the Moon Stones.
When I see the newer games which are full of informations and guides everywhere (even in-game) I laugh when I think that the first games were almost played in a blind way.
I still prefer HG/SS in general for the sprites of Pokemon which follows you all around, but Pokemon Blue will always remain in my heart as one of the funniest moments I've experienced in my life.

Last edited:
Technically, it was Diamond, but I never managed to get out of my room. I know, I was stupid. I thought the stairs were a decoration object. -_-

After that I beat the pre-post-game (the Lati@s post-game is TOO HARD) of PMD Blue Rescue Team. Then I walked around randomly in the room in Diamond. Lo and behold I walked into the stairs and began a journey that lasted dozens of hours.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I got my dad to buy me Colo when I was like 5, didn't understand it, traded it back into the game shop where we bought it from, and then rebought it about 8 months later from the same shop (it was the exact copy that we had traded in). First Main Series game that I played to completion was Emerald. (DynamicPunch Minun MVP)

First game was HeartGold. Took me 20 minutes to figure out how to get into Elm's house. I then soloed the game with Typhlosion, because I didn't realise you could take your starter of the front of your team.
Recently bought SoulSilver. Johto's harder than I remember.
Poor Pokemon choices, Trading being required to get some of the really good ones, and the GOD AWFUL LEVEL SCALING IS WHY.

GOD AWFUL LEVEL SCALING IS WHY.
^THIS OH MY (BAN ME PLEASE) GOD IT WAS SO HORRIBLE

I was fighting Pryce and only had like level 20 wild pokemon to grind on wtf
Ended up just trading in lv. 70 rayquaza because I didn't want to spend three years grinding to level them up

First game Sapphire, but I got emerald at the same time so I played emerald more.
I had no idea you could switch between sections of the bag until like fortree city so I had a level 56 Sceptile by then lol

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Huh, could've sworn I posted in this thread months ago.

First Pokemon game was Red back in 1999, back when I was 5 years old. I still remember the big Pokemon craze taking over pop culture in 98-99, so I was quite familiar with a handful of the original 151 before I ever got the cartridge myself. What finally convinced me to ask my parents for the game was going to a friend's Pokemon-themed birthday party, where all the guests got a little bag of nick-knacks and candy. I remember getting a little cheap tape-measure modeled after Poliwhirl.

Of course, me being barely able to read at the time, I had quite a share of derp moments playing through the game. Took me weeks to find out how to leave the house, took me several months to make it past Viridian Forest because I didn't know how to save the game, and I even had to restart the save later on because I only trained my starter (Squirtle), and ended up trading it for a freshly caught Magmar. RIP.

For some reason, I didn't pick up and play Gold/Silver until around the 2006 holiday season, so my next game after Red was Ruby. That led to even more facepalm moments, like not knowing what to do with the Wynaut egg, or freaking out and shutting off the game over seeing a Shiny Pokemon, thinking my game glitched.

Ruby was my first and I really enjoyed it. It's definitely my favorite because I got to try Pokemon for the first time and explore everything about it. It had a good story/gameplay as well imo. I played FR and Emerald as well. DPP was not bad, I played it a couple times, including modded versions. HG was okay too. BW was horrible; I quit like halfway because the game was so bad. XY was nice because it's the first game I played not on an emulator. I've yet to play ORAS but I will soon. I hope it's as good as the original and brings back some fond memories!

Last edited:
Pokemon Ruby was my first Pokemon game. I didn't really understand anything about Pokemon though, I always remember using Torchic and never evolving it into Combuskion, because I hated Combuskion's design. Despite this I somehow managed to get to Groudon though, and I don't remember what happened. Going back to Gen 3 fills me with nostalgia, and idc if that's a bad or a good thing.

Huh, could've sworn I posted in this thread months ago.

First Pokemon game was Red back in 1999, back when I was 5 years old. I still remember the big Pokemon craze taking over pop culture in 98-99, so I was quite familiar with a handful of the original 151 before I ever got the cartridge myself. What finally convinced me to ask my parents for the game was going to a friend's Pokemon-themed birthday party, where all the guests got a little bag of nick-knacks and candy. I remember getting a little cheap tape-measure modeled after Poliwhirl.

Of course, me being barely able to read at the time, I had quite a share of derp moments playing through the game. Took me weeks to find out how to leave the house, took me several months to make it past Viridian Forest because I didn't know how to save the game, and I even had to restart the save later on because I only trained my starter (Squirtle), and ended up trading it for a freshly caught Magmar. RIP.

For some reason, I didn't pick up and play Gold/Silver until around the 2006 holiday season, so my next game after Red was Ruby. That led to even more facepalm moments, like not knowing what to do with the Wynaut egg, or freaking out and shutting off the game over seeing a Shiny Pokemon, thinking my game glitched.
Maybe there's another "First Pokemon Game" Thread? I mean, this one's been up for, like, 2 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)