First stab at UU battles

I have overhauled what I had before since Gallade is not UU yet. New additions are Uxie and Hitmontop over Gallade and Golduck. The screen support really boosts what I was trying to do and it forced me to switch Articuno's moveset completely and recruit a rapid spinner, where I chose Hitmontop because it could also function as a physical attacker.

Double Screen Uxie
Hold Item: Light Clay
Nature Bold
Ability: Levitate
EV spread 252 HP 180 Sp Def 76 Speed

Reflect
Light Screen
Stealth Rock
Psychic

This seems like a pretty standard set. Uxie has massive defenses and can give all around stealth rock, reflect and light screen support. Psychic is for when taunted and switch is not viable.

Sub Articuno
Hold Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Pressure
Ev spread 252 Hp 96 Def 64 SpA 96 Spd

Ice Beam
Roost
Substitute
Toxic/Roar

Since learning of the uselessness of tailwind on articuno I figured a sub set would be better but remain defensive minded. I'm not sure what to do with the last slot but toxic seems like the most viable choice. However, that troubles me considering how similar it looks to Altaria. Anyway it seems to be a big stalling portion of this team.

Disruptor/Wall Altaria
Ability: Natural Cure
EV spread 252 HP 150 Def 50 SpA 56 Spd

Toxic
Roost
Flamethrower
Dragon Pulse

Altaria is cool but still another stealth rock weakness making Gallade even more important. Altaria basically soaks up hits both physical and special. Toxic wears down opponents and Altaria gets great type coverage from Dragon Pulse and Flamethrower. Overall a very strong wall and very valuable.

Houndoom Special Sweeper/Nasty Plot
Hold Item: Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flash Fire
Ev Spread 252 Sp Atk 252 Speed

Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Nasty Plot
Hidden Power Fighting

Life Orb does seem like a better hold item than Focus Sash and considering the light screen/reflect support I switched the nature to speed. Houndoom is a standard set up and sweep option that kills. Flamethrower and Dark Pulse for stab damage and Hidden Power Fighting for hitting rocks and steel types.

Espeon Special Sweeper/Calm Mind
Nature: Modest
Ability: Synchronize
Ev Spread 252 Sp Atk 252 Speed 6 Def

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Fighting
Calm Mind

Espeon is fragile. Its also fast enough and strong enough to take down mostly everything. The nature, item and spread are pretty standard considering I wanted to go balls out with the speed and special attack. It should be able to OHKO and 2HKO basically everything it comes across. Probably the greatest offensive threat on this team. I feel more comfortable with Espeon now that there is Uxie wall support.

Hitmontop Spinner
Nature: Timid
Ability: Intimidate
EV spread 252 HP 72 Atk 184 Spd

Rapid Spin
Close Combat
Sucker Punch
Stone Edge

I figure this makes the team a little more viable in the sense that I now have a rapid spinner. Sucker Punch is for ghosts like Mismagius who switch in on the rapid spin then expect to psychic with ease. Intimidate is good and everything else seems self explanatory.

Chansey is now really a problem to to be taken care of by Toxic on one of my birds or Hitmontop. As one commenter noted. Speed does seem to be a problem but this is definitely an improvement I think.

Gallade is currently a Suspect for BL, and not usable on the UU ladder. If he is voted to remain in UU your team is fine, but if he is voted as BL then you will have to remove him, and indeed you'll have to remove him in order to use this team on the current UU ladder.

Your whole team is special (except Gallade, but given the fact that he has Destiny Bond and Focus Sash, it seems like you aren't exactly trying to preserve him). Chansey is going to be a bitch.

You have nothing to hit bulky waters with; Milotic is going to be a pest aswell, especially since unlike Chansey it can threaten OHKOs on two of your team members (Houndoom and Altaria).

I really don't see the point of Tailwind on Articuno. It only lasts for 3 turns, which is horrible, and two of your sweepers are already quite fast (Espeon, Houndoom). I'd replace it with Toxic, or Substitute to protect yourself from enemy Toxic users.

Embargo on Houndoom seems extremely pointless. I'd suggest replacing it with Hidden Power Electric or Grass to hit the bulky water-types who are going to eagerly switch in on you, or possibly Hidden Power Ground for rock-types and Blaziken (who otherwise resists your whole moveset).

Golduck seems like a weak choice, possessing all-around lackluster stats and no secondary STAB.

I'd suggest switching your Altaria to a DD set, or just a physical set in general, in order to give your team more of a physical presence. Articuno is better at Toxic stalling anyway. I'd also suggest replacing Golduck with Kabutops if you want a water-type sweeper; his attacking stat is considerably higher and he has a good secondary STAB to help him out. Also consider investing in a user of Rapid Spin for Articuno; just a suicide Taunt lead isn't nearly enough to guarantee that the enemy never gets rocks down.

This is my first take at a competitive UU team and first team overall. There are a few admittedly strange choices but from very limited testing it does not seem too bad at all.

Anti-Lead Gallade
Hold Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Steadfast
EV spread 252 atk 200 spd 56 hp

Close Combat
Destiny Bond
Shadow Sneak
Taunt

Gallade has always been a fave of mine and since there is a surplus of sweeping already available I decided to put him in as an anti-lead. Getting Gallade to work is a big deal because currently Stealth Rock is a Big Problem. Taunt is to avoid stealth rock and is key but all other moves come in extremely handy.

Not only is Gallade a suspect, but there are much faster taunters if your looking for speed like Electrode, Ambipom, Persian, Floatzel and Purugly, etc.
An electrode works well, Taunt, T-bolt, then kaboom.
An interesting lead could be a Jolly Absol too. Its speed isn't too impressive, but not a lot of UU's that can set up rocks are faster. Only Miltank, Uxie, Nidoking, Mesprit, Pinsir, Mamoswine and Nidoqueen are faster UU stealth rock users and they almost always don't fully invest in speed max speed.
Absols moves can be Taunt, Mean Look, Baton Pass and another move.
Taunt to stop them, Mean Look to lock em in and Baton Pass to get someone who can kill the opposing lead. Umbreon is the only other pokemon who can do this (other than smeargle who's OU) and Umbreon is probably better suited but is slightly slower and could let others set up first, especially since its not wise for an Umbreon to invest that heavily in speed.
This way you can destroy the pokemon, so it doesnt come back later and try sstting up rocks or spikes.
Btw, the only spikers that can outspeed Absol that invest in maximum speed tend to be Roserade and Venomoth.. other spikers are usually more defensive, rather than fast.

Support Articuno
Ability: Pressure
Ev spread 252 Hp 96 Def 64 SpA 96 Spd

Ice Beam
Roost
Reflect
Tailwind.

Articuno is a big reason why stealth rock is so feared on this team. 4x Stealth rock is the reason why Articuno is NU. However, I believe 'cuno has enough good support to be dangerous. An ice beam does decent enough damage and can take out any UU dragons. The big draw here was reflect and tailwind support. Reflect is so my sweepers have more time to set up and tailwind is a good opening move when opponents expect a more offensively minded set and switch out. I was considering other supporters maybe double screen uxie but with a little better prediction on my part tailwind can prove more useful than light screen.

Altaria is the only fully evolved UU dragon and I really don't see Shelgon, Dragonair and Vibrava hanging around with those pathetic stats. One problem with Tailwind is that it only lasts for 3 turns but if you opt for light screen I recommend using Light Clay over Leftovers.. maybe even if you use tailwind since Articuno is bulky and has roost anyway. I tend to use screeners a lot. Bronzong in OU is my favourite screener but in UU, i've been using Uxie.. just with one screen though to make room for S-rocks, T-wave and extrasensory(in case i get taunted) but a double screen could work good.

Disruptor/Wall Altaria
Ability: Natural Cure
EV spread 252 HP 150 Def 50 SpA 56 Spd

Toxic
Roost
Flamethrower
Dragon Pulse

Altaria is cool but still another stealth rock weakness making Gallade even more important. Altaria basically soaks up hits both physical and special. Toxic wears down opponents and Altaria gets great type coverage from Dragon Pulse and Flamethrower. Overall a very strong wall and very valuable.

It seems good, but i have an odd feeling about having it with Articuno.. not sure why though. I think its coz its stats are going to be extremely similar to Articuno's but slightly weaker everywhere. They are both defensive but Articuno will be bulkier.

Houndoom Special Sweeper/Nasty Plot
Hold Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Calm
Ability: Flash Fire
Ev Spread 252 Sp Atk 252 Speed

Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Nasty Plot
Embargo? Possibly a support move or maybe a new attack move.

Sweeper #1. In a perfect world Articuno forces a switch, uses tailwind. Opponent uses flamethrower I switch into Houndoom and all hell breaks loose. I chose the defensive nature because after a flash fire or after a nasty plot boost Houndoom will pretty much be able to tear through anything and he needs defensive support when things dont go according to plan (which I expect they won't). I'm not sure if the sash is too much with nature already invested in defense and am considering using a life orb.

Other than Embargo.. which is a random and possibly useful idea, you could use Will-o-wisp or a nice Hidden Power. With Hidden Power, you should probably give Houndoom Expert Belt or Life orb though. You're making it bulky with a calm nature and giving it Focus Sash?? That's a no.. i can see that doing that would work great with Reflect, but then Focus Sash is a waste. I have a set like this with Raichu, and it sometimes kills 2 pokes (depending on opponents speed/switches) but will at least kill something or do major team dentage. It has max speed IV's, EV's and Nature, uses Nasty Plot, Focus Sash saves it then do killer damage with T-bolt, Focus Blast and Grass Knot. I love it and it always helps me out of tight situations. Houndoom should be Timid for this reason.. to outspeed most and if you keep it in UU it can outspeed a lot more and Focus Sash will be of more use (also another reason why your lead is important). With max speed, it can outspeed all max speed neutral natured bas 105 pokes.. so not too much can stop it, especially late game.

Right Here Stop... 2 more Special Sweepers, get rid of them now.. you already have 3 other special attackers.

Espeon Special Sweeper/Calm Mind
Ability: Synchronize
Ev Spread 252 Sp Atk 252 Speed 6 Def

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Fighting
Calm Mind

Sweeper #2. Espeon is fragile. Its also fast enough and strong enough to take down mostly everything. The nature, item and spread are pretty standard considering I wanted to go balls out with the speed and special attack. It should be able to OHKO and 2HKO basically everything it comes across. Probably the greatest offensive threat on this team.

Honestly.. get rid of this.. or Houndoom i guess and decide on a physical sweeper. There's so much UU/NU physical threats so choose someone you like and add him to the team/thread and we can rate it.

Golduck Special Sweeper/Calm Mind
Ability: Cloud Nine
Ev Spread 104 Sp Def 104 Def 104 Spd 104 Sp Atk 94 HP

Calm Mind
Ice Beam
Surf
Focus Blast

Sweeper #3? I know. Its indeed a strange pokemon choice with a strange spread and an arguably strange moveset. So.. why Golduck? First off Golduck's ability is pretty great. Weather still looks like its going on but does nothing. Opponents may overestimate their sp def in a sandstorm or their attack in rain etc. But that is really a gimmicky reason to choose a pokemon for a team. Golduck's moves cover everything and his special attack stat is actually pretty good. This Golduck can take hits pretty well too it does a little bit of everything. Opponents find Focus Blast to come out of nowhere and it does some major damage. Golduck just gets good Calm Mind synergy and has great type coverage and an underrated ability.

I did an RMT not too long ago and they had too many special attackers too, including golduck. It was Calm mind, Surf, Psychic and Ice Beam. If you want to utilize its unique ability, "Cloud Nine" on this team, then make it a mixed attacker.. Surf/Waterfall, Ice Beam, Cross Chop and Hypnosis/HP Electric/Return and adjust the Nature EV's Accordingly.

And I realize that I have virtually no physical attackers but Special Walls (Clefable) have not been that much of a problem so far. Stealth Rock is still a big problem. Since I have used it only a couple of times I do not know exactly the big threats to the team.

All rates will be appreciated and I'll try to apply all fixes suggested.
This is my first competitive team on any level so go easy on me.
Thanks in advance.
Hope I helped a bit.

I Think the team is starting off pretty well, but I agree you have too many special attackers. A stall team with a Chansey and Spiritomb (for Gallade) will be able to outlast your team. For that reason, I recommend changing Espeon to a SubCM Mismagius. Mismagius is able to set up on Chansey, and in general is a pain for stall teams.

A problem your team has is a very glaring lack of speed. For instance, Rock Polish Torterra OHKO's your whole team AND outspeeds it. A good Ace in the Hole for Opponents threatening to sweep is CB Azumarril. I recommend him over Golduck.

For the time being (before the final UU Suspect votes) I recommend Electrode as your lead. He is the fastest Taunt in the UU tier, and after he is through stopping your opponent's set-up, he can explode to take out a problem pokemon from the opposing team.

I decided to change from an anti-lead to a double screen Uxie really altering the look of the team but in my opinion making it better and more viable.

Hitmontop is my choice in rapid spinner since it is physical, which I am lacking.

I also made massive articuno changes and minor changes on Houndoom that were suggested.

Any more comments/suggestions?

I'm still of the opinion that you should change your Altaria set. As you said yourself, it's just redundant next to Articuno, and Articuno is much better at Toxistalling anyway. I would atleast try to differentiate Altaria from Articuno. A Choice Specs set is possible (not much in UU likes to take STAB Choice Specs Draco Meteor), though once again, I would recommend a physical set (again, perhaps a bulky Dragon Dancer).

Your whole team is still special except Hitmontop, who is not a big physical threat, so now a stall team possessing Chansey and Slowbro can simply switch between them until you die. Like another guy said, I'd recommend Sub CM Mismagius over Espeon, as it can just use Chansey for set up fodder, helping you to break stall.

I don't think Sucker Punch on Hitmontop is going to do much to help you against Mismagius. Many variants of Mismagius are Sub CM and will be looking to just use Hitmontop as set up fodder; your Sucker Punch will fail as they use Substitute, and then you're in trouble. Other variants are either Choice (which can use Trick to screw you over) or are probably carrying Will-o-Wisp (another move which Hitmontop is not a fan of). If you want to kill Mismagius, I think your best bet is to use Technician and Pursuit; with the super-effective damage boost and Technician, Pursuit has 120 BP on Mismagius even if it stays in, killing it or doing major damage to it, and obviously Mismagius will die if it tries to switch. You will probably have to eat a Shadow Ball in the process, but Technician + Pursuit is almost guaranteed to kill Missy.

Also, if you want your Hidden Power on Houndoom to hit Rock-types, I would recommend HP Ground, as it stills hits Rock types while also hitting Fire types who resist your Flamethrower, most notably Blaziken (who, as I mentioned earlier, otherwise resists the entire set).

Hitmontop is a nice addition.
Houndoom is looking better not.
U-turn is a good option for Uxie but Psychic is still good.
Give Articuno Roar since Altaria has Toxic.
I still think that you should change that Espeon for a physical attacker or mixed attacker since they're helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)