Floatzel (BW2 Revamp) [QC: 3/3] [GP: 1/2]

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
[Overview]

<p>Meet the fastest Water-type in NU, complete with usable offensive stats and a movepool to present itself as a threat. Having acquired Hydro Pump and resolved some move illegalities with Water Veil, most importantly Ice Punch, Floatzel can now combat numerous threats at once without sacrificing its effectiveness. Sporting good coverage with its access to a plethora of coverage moves, Floatzel can take on a wide variety of Pokemon by itself, blasting through them before they can move. Unfortunately, its frailty means it often loses to most neutral matchups and bulky walls. It also faces competition with Simipour and Basculin for teams wanting a fast, hard-hitting Water-type, and its awkward mix of higher physical Attack and stronger special movepool doesn't help it in that regard.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Ice Beam / Ice Punch
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Low Kick
item: Life Orb
ability: Water Veil / Swift Swim
nature: Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>For Floatzel, a mixed set offers the best overall combination of power and coverage against threats due to its ability to hit hard both physically and specially. Hydro Pump is Floatzel's strongest move against neutral targets, striking down Pokemon that Waterfall would fail to KO, such as Piloswine, Torkoal, and Scolipede. Ice Beam is stronger than Ice Punch against targets of equal defenses and hits Tangela, Torterra, and Exeggutor much harder; however, Ice Punch still has its uses, as it 2HKOes Roselia and +1 Calm Mind Serperior even with no investment, which Ice Beam fails to do. Crunch maims Jynx and specially bulky Psychic-types such as Gardevoir and Grumpig that can easily take Floatzel's other attacks. Hidden Power Grass is used for opposing Water-types that would otherwise wall Floatzel, such as Seismitoad, Wartortle, and Alomomola, whereas Low Kick dents specially bulky Pokemon such as Licklicky, Munchlax, Lapras, and Regice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Special Attack investment is necessary to give Floatzel the power it needs to hit threats hard, while max Speed takes advantage of Floatzel's greatest quality and major selling point over Simipour, which can pull off a similar set. Floatzel's higher Attack stat means it can still opt for a physically inclined set, which can be more consistent but is much easier to wall. If you choose to go that route, Return should go over Crunch if fully invested in Attack, as a Life Orb-boosted Return easily OHKOes Jynx anyway and is Floatzel's best attack against opposing Water-types, though Crunch can still be used to deal with Misdreavus much easier. Physical Floatzel can also make use of STAB Aqua Jet to pick off faster foes. Swift Swim is an option to allow Floatzel to combat rain teams, but it doesn't do too good at that job, and Water Veil gives Floatzel free switch-ins to burn-inducing moves. Teammates that can handle special walls such as Mantine and Regice for mixed Floatzel (such as mixed Eelektross), and physical walls such as Alomomola and Tangela for physical Floatzel (such as LumRest Exeggutor) are highly recommended. Floatzel's susceptibility to revenge killers and priority prompts the use of a bulky teammate such as Gurdurr, which deals with priority users such as Kangaskhan and Skuntank very well. Floatzel highly appreciates Grass-type partners, such as Tangela, Vileplume, Serperior, and Sawsbuck, as they resist its weaknesses and support it passively with their respective properties.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Ice Punch
move 3: Return
move 4: Switcheroo / Aqua Jet
item: Choice Band
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When equipped with a Choice Band, Floatzel's Attack is boosted to very high levels. While this set looks like it suffers significant competition from the stronger Basculin, Floatzel has higher Speed and access to Switcheroo to set itself apart. Waterfall is Floatzel's main STAB and can strike down numerous targets when boosted. Ice Punch nails Grass-types and Dragon-types wanting to switch in on a resisted Waterfall and retaliate. Return is Floatzel's strongest attack against opposing Water-types and has more than enough power to take down Jynx. Floatzel's moves provides unresisted coverage bar Frillish and Shedinja, which are so rare that hitting them is irrelevant. Switcheroo, a unique move Floatzel has among Water-types, can steal the items of walls and lock them into one move, rendering them useless. This allows your set-up sweepers to set up freely, unhindered by the crippled wall's efforts to retaliate or survive. On the other hand, a Choice Banded Aqua Jet packs a punch and can pick off fast foes, although one must be wary about being locked into it and consider if Basculin is a better alternative for this due to its access to Adaptability.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because a Choice Band-boosted Return destroys Jynx, Crunch's only real use would be to hit Frillish and Shedinja and land a stronger hit on Exeggutor and Misdreavus, and thus is unneccesary. Choice Scarf Floatzel could outrun other Choice Scarf users bar Zebstrika and run an Adamant nature, but Floatzel's already immense Speed and need for power makes this not as effective as it could be. Choice Floatzel, like other Choice Pokemon, tends to switch out a lot, so having teammates that can deal with opponents that resist Floatzel's moves is ideal. For example, Jynx can deal with Water-, Grass- and Dragon-types all at once and greatly appreciates setup opportunities granted by Floatzel's Switcheroo. Grass-types make for fantastic partners, as they provide a good safety buffer in case Floatzel screws up a prediction: dual screens Serperior and Meganium can improve Floatzel's durability to prolong its rampage, Leech Seed and Aromatherapy from Tangela and Vileplume can alleviate health and status issues, and Spikes Roselia and Cacturne help to nab certain OHKOs and 2HKOs. A possible route to take would be to employ Rain Dance on the team, allowing Floatzel the freedom to run Adamant, thanks to Swift Swim, to further augment its STAB attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Taunt / Return / Ice Punch
item: Leftovers
ability: Water Veil
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While its frailty might indicate Bulk Up won't help Floatzel much at all, it has the tools it needs to make this work. Bulk Up not only raises Floatzel's respectable Attack but beefs up its Defense so that it can take physical hits better, which is important for the set to function. Baton Pass is also vital to Bulk Up Floatzel's success, allowing it to bestow its boosts to a fellow sweeper to initiate a sweep or just get away from danger without losing momentum. Waterfall is Floatzel's STAB move and thus is its most reliable move. Floatzel also holds the distinction of being the only fully evolved Pokemon in NU that can Baton Pass Bulk Ups, so it can help out a variety of physical sweepers that either cannot boost for themselves or appreciate the Defense boost to prolong their rampage. Floatzel also has access to Taunt, which is incredibly useful to prevent status, phazing, healing, or opposing setup users. The main selling point of Taunt is how it turns the tables on bulky Water-types that would wall Floatzsl really well otherwise, notably defensive Seismitoad with Scald, Earthquake, and Toxic, meaning Bulk Up Floatzel can actually lure in opponents for it to set up on. Other Pokemon such as Wartortle, Alomomola, Misdreavus, and Torkoal are easy targets to start setting up Bulk Up on and pass the boosts. Note that Floatzel can take a good deal of damage from the likes of Scolipede's Megahorn even with Bulk Up boosts, which is usually your cue to pass the boost to a teammate that can handle the threat better.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With max HP investment and a respectable base HP, Floatzel can set up Bulk Up on foes such as Samurott, Scolipede, Piloswine, and Kangaskhan with health to spare. Bulk Up makes up for the lack of Attack investment, as Floatzel reaches 370 Attack after just one boost, the equivalent of fully invested positive-natured base 119 Pokemon. Leftovers allows Floatzel to accumulate more boosts, though it's usually not more than two. However, pinch berries, notably Salac Berry, can be used to grant an additional boost for teammates to receive, though Floatzel would be near dead if it does pass the berry boost. Water Veil has significant use on this set, as it prevents Scald and Lava Plume burns, further easing its setup. Obviously, teammates that appreciate the boosts are welcome. Scolipede and Drifblim resist Grass for Floatzel, and can even learn Baton Pass as a way to backup to Floatzel in case they encounter roadblocks such as Torkoal and Misdreavus, which can burn them; Golurk takes Electric attacks for Floatzel, hurt things even more while being harder to bring down with physical attacks if passed to, and even stack boosts with Rock Polish. In terms of defensive synergy, Grass-types are still there; Grass-types that can take advantage of the Bulk Up boosts, such as Swords Dance Jumpluff, Rock Polish Torterra, and Sawsbuck, are excellent. Sweeping with Floatzel itself is a perfectly viable option, though you'll need to sacrifice its great utility in Taunt. The usual EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe is best for optimum sweeping but leaves Floatzel too frail to set up more than one Bulk Up most of the time due to no bulk investment. Return offers great neutral coverage alongside Water with very few Pokemon resisting both; Ice Punch can hit Grass- and Dragon-types hard at the cost of being walled by Water-types, though with Baton Pass, this is less of an issue. Note that even with Taunt, moves such as Dragon Tail, Circle Throw, and Clear Smog can still remove the boosts, so a powerful offensive partner, such as Golurk, Jynx, or Sawk, should generally be used to quickly dispatch these threats.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Me First is situationally useful for reflecting back certain moves of slower opponents, occasionally outdamaging Floatzel's own attacks, but is useless against moves its counters use and fails against faster opponents and attacks. Focus Blast is an option, but most of its targets are specially defensive or are hit harder by Hydro Pump anyway, limiting its usefulness. Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall anywhere it is mentioned, but trading flinching and accuracy just for power is generally not worth it, especially when Floatzel can easily make use of the flinch chance with its good Speed. Pursuit can be used to trap Pokemon such as Jynx, but Sneasel does this better due to STAB and resisting its targets' STABs. Rain Dance can be used to power up Floatzel's STAB while doubling its Speed, but Floatzel doesn't have the bulk to set up rain for itself and must rely on teammates for the job. Agility should hardly be considered, as it is usually outclassed by Rain Dance and Swift Swim, and Ninjask is a better Pokemon for Baton Passing Speed boosts. Floatzel has the movepool to try a specially offensive set, but that is outclassed by Simipour with its greater Special Attack, coverage, and Nasty Plot. Aqua Ring is a possible option on the Baton Pass set, but Floatzel usually prefers Taunt or extra coverage in that last moveslot. Flame Orb and Switcheroo is a gimmick, as it only burns once and at the end of the turn to boot, meaning Floatzel isn't taking weakened damage on the turn it Switcheroos.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Floatzel mostly relies on quick clean KOs or a setup opportunity in Bulk Up's case. Water-types with strong neutral or super effective moves, such as Ludicolo, Samurott, and Earth Power Seismitoad, generally make for the best counters, provided they can take Floatzel's other attacks well. Be warned that the same defensive Water-types that wall offensive Floatzel to hell and back, such as Alomomola, Earthquake Seismitoad, Frillish, and Wartortle, risk being turned into setup fodder for Bulk Up Floatzel. Grass-types and Electric-types can easily dispatch Floatzel, but all Grass-types are slower than Floatzel, whereas only two Electric-type in Zebstrika and Electrode outspeeds Floatzel. Grass-types with more balanced defenses that can tank Ice-type attacks, such as Meganium, Ludicolo, and Cradily, are considerably better answers than Tangela and Roselia, who fear Ice Beam and Ice Punch, respectively. All other Electric-types bar Zebstrika and Electrode usually have to take at least one unresisted hit (which they usually can if at good health) before KOing Floatzel or utilize Choice Scarf to outspeed it, making them better checks than counters. Eviolite Electabuzz can take a strong hit relatively well and OHKO with Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Bulk Up sets are a bit trickier to stop as their incredible Speed means stopping them with Taunt, status, or a KO before Baton Pass is difficult. However, simply weakening Floatzel to the point where it can no longer set up can be considered sufficient. Choice Scarf users can threaten Floatzel with powerful neutral STAB or coverage moves, and priority can whittle down Floatzel greatly, though note that Bulk Up Floatzel is harder to take down this way. Floatzel cannot be burned thanks to Water Veil but absolutely despises paralysis from Pokemon such as Stun Spore Vileplume, Thunder Wave Audino and Liepard, and Body Slam Lickilicky, which neuters its greatest advantage in Speed and makes it dead weight.</p>

Last edited:

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
When I think of the closest poke to floatzel, I think Basculin, who has a stronger SATB with adabtability, can use ice beam in it sets, and can also outspeed the 95 speed benchmark. I would 100% make sure thata mention of the increased speed, higher non-satb attack and rain dance separates it from basculin.

I also do not know why you would not separate your physical and special sets, as they can defeat 2 completely different ranges of pokemon. All the slashes make it look very confusing, especially if a beginning player wants to pick 2 special and 2 physical attacks, which isnt that great with investment in only SpA. Based on the 2 different sets (I would say physical being first because simipour does a better pure special imo), you can then expand on partners that work well with the respective sets. Separating the two sets can also let you run swift swim on the special set and either ability for the physical. I would also explain why you chose speed boosting natures over attacking natures.

For the BU set, I would think that slashing Aqua Jet in there to provide damage before being killed by a scarfer would be beneficial. I would explain why you use max HP as opposed to max attack ( I would use max attack) as the primary. I think calcs would be great to provide for this set, as I would not think Floatzel is that bulky, with base 55 Defense, even after 1 or 2 boosts. For this and the CB, I would expand on partners as well.

I think toxic deserves a mention in OO to hit seismetoad, alomomola and tangela, though toxic is very situational.

Paralysis is probably the biggest problem for Floatzel, as its main selling point is to outspeed the 95 rank. Prankster pokes with thunderwave are going to be a bigger problem and should be mentioned earlier in your checks and counters.

I am a big floatzel fan, so I am happy someone is updating this!

Punchshroom

I listed the two together initially because they play similarly, but it does look extremely cluttered. I'll wait for a QC member to help me decide whether I should split the sets. Now that I look at it, physical LO could probably go in CB...

I'll edit this tomorrow.

Oh god the first set has a lot of slashes. Not a single move isn't slashed...

I feel that from the skeleton the set should be something like Hydro Pump / Ice Beam or Ice Punch / Crunch / Hidden Power Grass or Low Kick. Waterfall is inferior to Hydro Pump, Return is filler at best, and Aqua Jet rarely comes in handy when you have no attack investment and have a ton of speed already.

It's really up to you and QC for the final cut but those are my thoughts.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to see a choice scarf set because it would give floatzel a way to hit fast outside of the rain as well as in the rain.

Punchshroom

Floatzel is already really fast, and its main issue has always been its power, not its speed. I don't see Scarf as being better than Band under Rain anyway, or even Band in general because unboosted Floatzel misses out on KOes on a lot of things.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
-not sure why ice punch is even slashed on the first set when you specifically say that it's weaker than ice beam in neutral situations and then give 3 pokemon ice beam hits harder anyway. move it to ac.

-switcheroo / aqua jet should be the slash on CB imo, since switcheroo is a huge advantage that floatzel has over other physical water-types, and you don't really want to get locked into a weak stab priority move. also, water veil should be the primary ability, with swift swim in ac with a mention to use in rain only.

Punchshroom

Shoot, forgot to mention Ice Punch's advantage against Roselia and Calm Mind Serperior, even without investment. Made your other changes though.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
Remove the part about BW2 changes. The Overview should be about how Floatzel does in the current metagame, it should just be presented as it is now.

Rename Mixed Sweeper to Mixed Attacker, it fits Floatzel's description a lot better.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Mixed Attacker)
I don't think you need to go into such detail about a purely physical set in the AC. Out of the first 4 points you can remove the last 3 and summarize the physical set alongside your 5th point.

[SET COMMENTS] (Bulk Up)
You don't mention anywhere about the advantages of using Ice Punch and Return are. I think that the main reason to use BU Floatzel at all would be to Baton Pass out the boost so I would keep move 3 as just Baton Pass. Move 4 can then be Taunt slashed with either Return or Ice Punch. Return is probably the better option to pair up with Waterfall for neutral coverage.

[qc]2/3[/qc]

Punchshroom

Made the changes, though I listed what the physical set can do in the first set's AC without getting redundant in CB.

[Overview]

• "However, if one can take advantage of its stats, namely speed, and unique combination of moves at its disposal that distinguish itself from other Water-types, Floatzel can certainly excel and pull your team through." This is fluff (since you already mentioned all of this in the overview) and can be cut. We want overviews to be as concise as possible.

[SET] (Mixed Attacker)

• Use Swift Swim instead of Water Veil and move Water Veil to AC, mentioning that should you choose to use more of the physical slashes, Water Veil can protect you from burn. When most of your attacks are special anyways, burn isn't THAT big of a deal, and the ability to check rain teams is too good to pass up.

• You can cut the (Floatzel has 311 HP) and the calc in the first sentence. It's kind of condescending to the readers.
  • A couple more teammates would be cool. You can also mention things that can handle priority users, such as Kangaskhan and Skuntank, as good partners: Gurdurr is really good for this job. Also when you mention Grass-types to cover Floatzel's weaknesses, you can throw out a mention of Tangela and Vileplume specifically, along with anything else you might feel is appropriate.

[SET COMMENTS] (Choice Band)

• On the mention of Switcheroo being a rare move for Water-types, I think it would be more interesting to note that Floatzel is the ONLY Pokemon with access to the move (rather than saying its rare amongst Water-types), which is one of the main reasons why Floatzel is a good Choice Band users.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Choice Band)

• Cut the first sentence from this. The 4 HP EVs can honestly be added on anywhere without affecting Floatzel's performance. The EVs and nature are both self-explanatory for the set, so you don't need to talk about them at all.
  • Crunch also hits Misdreavus harder than the rest of the set, so make a mention of that.
  • More teammates would be nice again. Alomomola hard walls you. Tangela also does well against you: 252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Ice Punch vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Tangela (+Def) : 27.54% - 32.93% (4 hits to KO). You could use something like Eelektross and Jynx/Gardevoir as good special wallbreakers to take down physical walls. Any other teammates you could think of would also be splendid.

[SET COMMENTS] (Bulk Up)

• Don't start out by talking about a move that is slashed last on the set. You want to progress through your set comments in the same order that the moves are listed, since they are listed by order of importance.
  • Move mention of Water Veil to AC, as that is where abilities should be talked about.
  • Make mention of Waterfall before you talk about Baton Pass, unless you feel like Baton Pass is more important for this set to function, in which case, switch the move orders on the set to move 2: Baton Pass, move 3: Waterfall
  • EV mentions are AC content
  • A lot of these Pokemon you list as Floatzel being able to set up on are.. shaky at best. Piloswine users will probably never keep in their Pilo on a Floatzel.

252 +2 Atk Samurott (+Atk) Megahorn vs 252 HP/0 +1 Def Floatzel: 68.72% - 81.02% (2 hits to KO)
    252 SpAtk Life Orb Samurott (+SpAtk) Hidden Power Grass vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Floatzel: 88.77% - 104.81% (31.25% chance to OHKO)
    252 Atk Life Orb Scolipede Megahorn vs 252 HP/0 +1 Def Floatzel: 57.22% - 67.65% (2 hits to KO)
    252 Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan (+Atk) Double-Edge vs 252 HP/0 +1 Def Floatzel: 60.16% - 70.86% (2 hits to KO)
    You're better off listing defensive Pokemon that people would switch in on an average Floatzel. Misdreavus and Alomomola both come to mind, since you can Taunt them and keep boosting.
  • You actually need to explain the moves on the set in the set comments. My personal way of doing set comments is a description of how the set plays -> move one -> move two -> move three -> move four, explanation of slashes and when you would want to use the different moves slashed. What's important though is that you DO describe each move.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Bulk Up)

• Description of moves goes in Set Comments.
  • More teammates would be nice again. Something to take down common phasers would be nice, especially if you are forgoing Taunt. CB Sawk can take down Dragon Tail Lickilicky, Clear Smog Weezing, Circle Throw Throh, Clear Smog Garbodor, Whirwind Munchlax, etc. You don't have to include all of those, but some to choose from.
  • AC looks pretty slim, but I think after you include the things mentioned in the set comments that should be here, it'll be ok.

[Other Options]

• When you compare Waterfall and Aqua Tail, rather than saying "abuse" you can say "utilize" or "make use of" or something along these lines. Abuse has a negative connotation.
  • Make a mention of Agility, and note that Swift Swim + Rain Dance is usually better for this.
  • Aqua Ring on Baton Pass since it passes as well, but mention Floatzel usually prefers the utility of Taunt or the coverage.

[Checks and Counters]

• Seismitoad isn't set-up fodder for Floatzel.
    0 SpAtk Seismitoad Earth Power vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Floatzel: 39.3% - 46.52% (3 hits to KO)
  • When you talk about Water-types with super effective coverage/strong neutral attacks that can counter it (which should probably be changed to check), give examples: Seismitoad, Ludicolo, etc.
  • Eviolite Electabuzz can probably get a mention. Can survive any hit and OHKO with Thunderbolt.
  • Kangaskhan can Fake Out + Sucker Punch, and Skuntank can hit with STAB Sucker Punch
  • Cut "Striking before Floatzel does is a much easier way to deal with Floatzel, as it has poor bulk." since the next sentence covers this.
  • Cut "Sometime just surviving a hit can be enough to stop Floatzel, because one can take a hit from Floatzel and fire back, Floatzel is usually on the losing end already." as it has also been mentioned a lot.
  • Give some examples of things that can paralyze Floatzel (Stun Spore Vileplume, Thunder Wave Audino, Thunder Wave Liepard, Body Slam Lickilicky, etc
  • Overall, you have a thorough checks and counters section in theory, but the purpose of checks and counters is to give examples of Pokemon that can beat the Pokemon in the analysis. That being said, any spot where you give a general idea of something that can beat Floatzel, make sure to include examples of those Pokemon.

Make these changes, and I'll give you a stamp for your efforts~

quick nitpick...in the first set you say 311 hp is a life orb number because it can live 10 hits...by that logic, every hp number besides those ending in 0 is a life orb number. a 'life orb' number is like 309...as you take 30 damage instead of 31. however, in tiers that aren't little cup, that doesn't really matter, so don't mention it.

Punchshroom

[Overview]

• "However, if one can take advantage of its stats, namely speed, and unique combination of moves at its disposal that distinguish itself from other Water-types, Floatzel can certainly excel and pull your team through." This is fluff (since you already mentioned all of this in the overview) and can be cut. We want overviews to be as concise as possible.

Right.

[SET] (Mixed Attacker)

• Use Swift Swim instead of Water Veil and move Water Veil to AC, mentioning that should you choose to use more of the physical slashes, Water Veil can protect you from burn. When most of your attacks are special anyways, burn isn't THAT big of a deal, and the ability to check rain teams is too good to pass up.

Floatzel really doesn't check Rain teams all that well, with Hidden Power Grass being barely more powerful than its Hydro Pump against all Rain sweepers bar Seismitoad. I mentioned Water Veil as the primary ability as Floatzel likes to switch into Will-o-Wisp or Lava Plume without losing more health, granting it easier switch-ins. I'll slash Swift Swim in there though.

• You can cut the (Floatzel has 311 HP) and the calc in the first sentence. It's kind of condescending to the readers.
  • A couple more teammates would be cool. You can also mention things that can handle priority users, such as Kangaskhan and Skuntank, as good partners: Gurdurr is really good for this job. Also when you mention Grass-types to cover Floatzel's weaknesses, you can throw out a mention of Tangela and Vileplume specifically, along with anything else you might feel is appropriate.

I'll edit the LO and Gurdurr part, but feel that Grass-types pair so well with Floatzel that almost any of them can be viable partners. Serperior, Roselia, Tangela, Vileplume, heck even Meganium can support Floatzel either offensively or defensively that I feel that specific mentions aren't necessary. (Should I emphasize this synergy between Floatzel+Grass-type instead?)

[SET COMMENTS] (Choice Band)

• On the mention of Switcheroo being a rare move for Water-types, I think it would be more interesting to note that Floatzel is the ONLY Pokemon with access to the move (rather than saying its rare amongst Water-types), which is one of the main reasons why Floatzel is a good Choice Band user.

I was under the impression that some other Water-type had a similiarly functioning move (Trick), but apparently that wasn't the case. Edited.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Choice Band)

• Cut the first sentence from this. The 4 HP EVs can honestly be added on anywhere without affecting Floatzel's performance. The EVs and nature are both self-explanatory for the set, so you don't need to talk about them at all.
  • Crunch also hits Misdreavus harder than the rest of the set, so make a mention of that.
  • More teammates would be nice again. Alomomola hard walls you. Tangela also does well against you: 252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Ice Punch vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Tangela (+Def) : 27.54% - 32.93% (4 hits to KO). You could use something like Eelektross and Jynx/Gardevoir as good special wallbreakers to take down physical walls. Any other teammates you could think of would also be splendid.

Gotcha.

[SET COMMENTS] (Bulk Up)

• Don't start out by talking about a move that is slashed last on the set. You want to progress through your set comments in the same order that the moves are listed, since they are listed by order of importance.
  • Move mention of Water Veil to AC, as that is where abilities should be talked about.
  • Make mention of Waterfall before you talk about Baton Pass, unless you feel like Baton Pass is more important for this set to function, in which case, switch the move orders on the set to move 2: Baton Pass, move 3: Waterfall
  • EV mentions are AC content
  • A lot of these Pokemon you list as Floatzel being able to set up on are.. shaky at best. Piloswine users will probably never keep in their Pilo on a Floatzel.

Last point: The fact that Floatzel can force some of these pokemon out only justifies this set's effectiveness, as most Floatzels aren't able to take advantage of a free switch in this manner. I do admit that Floatzel can take a bit too much damage from these threats to set up more than 1 or 2 Bulk Ups per game, but Bulk Up Floatzel is often used to gear up teammates (rarely itself) to sweep while still maintaining utility with high speed and Taunt.

You're better off listing defensive Pokemon that people would switch in on an average Floatzel. Misdreavus and Alomomola both come to mind, since you can Taunt them and keep boosting.

I mentioned Alomomola already, but will add defensive Misdreavus as well.
  • You actually need to explain the moves on the set in the set comments. My personal way of doing set comments is a description of how the set plays -> move one -> move two -> move three -> move four, explanation of slashes and when you would want to use the different moves slashed. What's important though is that you DO describe each move.

On it.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Bulk Up)

• Description of moves goes in Set Comments.
  • More teammates would be nice again. Something to take down common phasers would be nice, especially if you are forgoing Taunt. CB Sawk can take down Dragon Tail Lickilicky, Clear Smog Weezing, Circle Throw Throh, Clear Smog Garbodor, Whirwind Munchlax, etc. You don't have to include all of those, but some to choose from.
  • AC looks pretty slim, but I think after you include the things mentioned in the set comments that should be here, it'll be ok.

Okie.

[Other Options]

• When you compare Waterfall and Aqua Tail, rather than saying "abuse" you can say "utilize" or "make use of" or something along these lines. Abuse has a negative connotation.
  • Make a mention of Agility, and note that Swift Swim + Rain Dance is usually better for this.
  • Aqua Ring on Baton Pass since it passes as well, but mention Floatzel usually prefers the utility of Taunt or the coverage.

[Checks and Counters]

• Seismitoad isn't set-up fodder for Floatzel.

A good deal of Seismitoads run EQ to not be set up on by Jynx, which I've already mentioned as a good partner for Floatzel. Either Ground move Seismitoad runs will expose it to one of these threats, and Earthquake is generally more common due to Jynx's ubiquity.
  • When you talk about Water-types with super effective coverage/strong neutral attacks that can counter it (which should probably be changed to check), give examples: Seismitoad, Ludicolo, etc.
  • Eviolite Electabuzz can probably get a mention. Can survive any hit and OHKO with Thunderbolt.
  • Kangaskhan can Fake Out + Sucker Punch, and Skuntank can hit with STAB Sucker Punch
  • Cut "Striking before Floatzel does is a much easier way to deal with Floatzel, as it has poor bulk." since the next sentence covers this.
  • Cut "Sometime just surviving a hit can be enough to stop Floatzel, because one can take a hit from Floatzel and fire back, Floatzel is usually on the losing end already." as it has also been mentioned a lot.
  • Give some examples of things that can paralyze Floatzel (Stun Spore Vileplume, Thunder Wave Audino, Thunder Wave Liepard, Body Slam Lickilicky, etc
  • Overall, you have a thorough checks and counters section in theory, but the purpose of checks and counters is to give examples of Pokemon that can beat the Pokemon in the analysis. That being said, any spot where you give a general idea of something that can beat Floatzel, make sure to include examples of those Pokemon.

Done.

Make these changes, and I'll give you a stamp for your efforts~

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Two things:

1) When mentioning partners, you need to mention specific ones. Just saying "Grass-types in general" is not acceptable.

2) Earth Power is the most common move on Seismitoad, at 76%. Earthquake is found on 19% of all Seismitoad.

Punchshroom

1) Well sorry, it's just that Floatzel appreciates the support of almost any Grass-type, be it Leech Seed, Aromatherapy, Spikes, Sleep Powder, Dual Screens whatnot. Perhaps I should instead list down what the specific Grasses do for Floatzel instead?

2) Hmmm true, but I did specifically list down Earthquake Seismitoad in the Bulk Up analysis.

Edit: Truth be told, Floatzel can actually set up on these aforementioned threats, though usually not more than once per match.

Any Grass-type mentions I missed on the sets?

I'm fine with Swift Swim being slashed.

yeah the only Water-types that get Trick in NU are Slowpoke and Frillish—obviously not the best Pokemon for the move lol.

while I get that it can force switches on those Pokemon, that's a lot different from setting up on them. Just semantics, sure, but even so~

tennisace addressed the other points.

edit: since Seismitoad still runs Earth Power on 3/4 of all sets, while it only runs less than 20% of the time, that's like mentioning that Energy Ball Jynx OHKOs specially defensive Seismitoad despite running it on 12% of all sets.

And yes, please mention some specific Grass-types that help out Floatzel.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
amcheck

[Overview]

<p>Meet the fastest Water-type in NU, who has usable enough offensive stats and a movepool to present itself as a threat. After it acquired Hydro Pump and resolved some move illegalities with Water Veil, namely Ice Punch, Floatzel can now combat numerous threats at once without sacrificing anyits effectiveness. Sporting good coverage on the tier with its access to Water, Ice, Dark and Fighting moves it, Floatzel can take on a good amountwide variety of pPokemon by itself, blasting them before they can move. Unfortunately, its fraility means it often loses to most neutral matchups, much less and bulky walls. It also faces competition with Simipour and Basculin for teams wanting a fast, hard-hitting Water-type, and its awkward mix of higher physical Attack but stronger special movepool doesn't help it in that regard.</p>

[SET]
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Floatzel's sSpeed is a major selling point over Simipour, who can pull off a similiar set. A mixed set offers best overall power and coverage against threats due to the ability to hit from both ends of the spectrum, physical or special. Hydro Pump is Floatzel's strongest move against neutral targets, striking down Pokemon that Waterfall would fail to KO, namely Piloswine, Torkoal, and Scolipede, among others. Ice Beam is stronger than Ice Punch against targets of equal defenses, as well as hitting Tangela, Torterra, and Exeggutor much harder; however, Ice Punch still has its uses, as it 2HKOes Roselia and +1 Calm Mind Serperior even with no investment, which Ice Beam fails to do. Crunch maims Jynx and specially bulky Psychics insuch as Gardevoir and Grumpig that can easily take Floatzel's other attacks. Hidden Power Grass is used for opposing Water-types that would otherwise wall Floatzel, such as Seismitoad, Wartortle, and Alomomola, whereas Low Kick dents specially bulky Pokemon such as Licklicky, Munchlax, Lapras ,and Regice for solid damage.
</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum SAtpecial Attack investment is necessary to give Floatzel the power it needs to hit threats hard, while maximum s Speed takes advantage of Floatzel's greatest quality. The last 4 EVs go into Attack to give its physical attack(s) a bit more bite. Floatzel's better Attack stat means it can still opt for a physically inclined set, which can be more consistent but is much easier to wall. If you choose to go that route, Return should go over Crunch if fully invested in Attack, as LOa Life Orb-boosted Return easily OHKOes Jynx anyway and is its best attack against opposing Water-types, though Crunch can still be used to combat Misdreavus better while it cannot burn you. Swift Swim is an option to allows Floatzel to combat Rain, but the problem is that it doesn't do too good at that job and Water Veil gives Floatzel free switch-ins to burn -inducing moves. Physical Floatzel can also make use of STAB Aqua Jet to pick off faster foes. Teammates that can handle special walls (ex:, such as Mantine, and Regice), for mixed Floatzel and physical walls for physical Floatzel (ex: most Water-types,, such as Alomomola and Tangela), are highly recommended. Floatzel's susceptibility to revenge killing and priority prompts the use of a bulky teammate such as Gurdurr, which deals with priority users in Kangaskhan or Skuntank very well. Floatzel highly appreciates Grass-type partners, such as Tangela, Vileplume, Serperior, and Sawsbuck, as they resist its weaknesses and either support it passively with Sleep Powder, Ddual Sscreens, or Aromatherapy, or offensively by weakening problem pPokemon with offensive pressure.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When equipped with a Choice Band, Floatzel's Attack gets boosted to powerfulvery high levels. While this set looks to be competing with the stronger Basculin, Floatzel has much betthigher sSpeed and access to Switcheroo, which is one of this set's major selling factorpoints. Waterfall is Floatzel's main STAB and can strike down numerous targets when boosted. Ice Punch nails Grass-types and Dragon-types wanting to resist Waterfall and retaliate. Return is Floatzel's strongest attack against opposing Water-types and has more than enough power to take down Jynx. The coverage of Water, Ice and Normal provides unresisted coverage bar Frillish and Shedinja who are so rare it is barely that hitting them is irrelevant. Switcheroo, a unique move Floatzel has amongst Water-types, can steal the items of walls and lock them into one move via your Choice item to render them useless or to simply ditch the item for the freedom to switch moves, making Floatzel a good Choice Band user. This allows for free reign for your set-up sweepers to boost, unhindered by the crippled wall's efforts to retaliate or survive. On the other hand, Choice Banded Aqua Jet packs a punch and can pick off fast foes, although one must be wary about being locked into it or consider if Basculin is a better alternative due to its access to Adaptability.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Choice Band Return destroys Jynx, Crunch's only real use would be against Frillish or Shedinja, or a stronger hit on Exeggutor and Misdreavus, and thus is unneccesary. Choice Scarf Floatzel could outrun other Choice Scarfers bar Zebstrika and run an Adamant nature, but Floatzel's already immense sSpeed and need for power makes this not as effective as it could be. Choice Floatzel, like other Choice pPokemon, tends to switch out a lot, so having teammates that can deal with opponents that resist Floatzel's moves is ideal. For example, Jynx can deal with Water-, Grass- and Dragon-types all at once, and greatly appreciates setup opportunities granted by Floatzel's Switcheroo. Again, Grass-types make for fantastic partners, as they provide a good safety buffer in case Floatzel screws up a prediction: Ddual Sscreens Serperior or Meganium can improve Floatzel's durability to prolong its rampage, Leech Seed and/or Aromatherapy from Tangela or Vileplume alleviates health or status issues, while Roselia and Cacturne can provide Spikes, which help to nab certain OHKOes and 2HKOes which could not be achieved beforewithout their setup. A possible route to take would be to employ Rain Dance on the team, allowing Floatzel the freedom to run Adamant, thanks to Swift Swim, to further augment its Rrain-boosted attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While its fraility may indicate Bulk Up won't help Floatzel much at all, Floatzel has the tools it needs to make it work. Bulk Up not only raises Floatzel's respectable Attack, but beefs up its Defense so that it can better take physical hits, which is important for the set to function. Baton Pass is also vital to Bulk Up Floatzel's success, allowing Floatzel to bestow the boosts to a fellow sweeper to initiate a sweep, or just to get away from danger without losing momentum by wasting the boosts. Waterfall is Floatzel's STAB move and thus is its most reliable move. Floatzel also holds the distinction of being the only fully evolved pPokemon in NU that can Baton Pass Bulk Ups, so it can help out a variety of physical sweepers that either cannot boost for themselves or appreciate the defense boost to prolong their rampage. Floatzel hasalso has access to Taunt, which is incredibly useful to prevent status, phazing, healing, or opposing boosting. The main selling point of Taunt is how it turns the tables on bulky Waters, notably walldefensive Seismitoad with Scald + Earthquake + Toxic, that would have walled Floatzel really well, meaning Bulk Up Floatzel can actually lure in opponents for it to set up on. Other pPokemon such as Wartortle, Alomomola, Misdreavus, and Torkoal are fair game to start usingsetting up Bulk Up on and pass the boosts away. Note that Floatzel can take a good deal of damage from the likes of Scolipede's Megahorn even with the Bulk Up boosts, which is usually your cue to pass the boost to a teammate that can handle the threat better.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With max HP investment and a respectable base 85 HP, Floatzel can set up Bulk Up on foes such as Samurott, Scolipede, Piloswine and Kangaskhan with health to spare, while Bulk Up makes up for the lack of Attack investment, reaching 370 Attack after just one boost, the equivalent of fully invested positive natured base 119 Attack, so Floatzel can still fight back if need be. Leftovers allow Floatzel to accumulate more boosts, though usually not more than two. Water Veil has significant use on this set, as it prevents burns from Scalds or Lava Plume burns, further easing its setup. Obviously, teammates that appreciate the boosts are welcome teammates for Floatzel. Scolipede and Drifblim resists Grass for Floatzel, and can even learn Baton Pass as a way to double back to Floatzel in case they encounter roadblocks in Torkoal or Misdreavus which can burn them; Golurk takes Electric attacks for Floatzel, and can hurt things with its boost while being harder to bring down with physical attacks, or even stack boosts with Rock Polish. In terms of defensive synergy, Grass-types are still there, but this time Grass-types that can take advantage of the Bulk Up boosts are preferred, such as Swords Dance Jumpluff, Rock Polish Torterra, and Sawsbuck. Sweeping with Floatzel itself is a perfectly viable option, though you'll need to sacrifice Floatzel's great utility in Taunt. The usual EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe is best for optimum sweeping, but as a result, Floatzel would be too frail to set up more than one Bulk Up most of the time, due to no bulk investment. Return offers great neutral coverage alongside Water with very few pPokemon resisting both; Ice Punch can hit Grass and Dragons hard at the cost of being walled by Water-types, though with Baton Pass this is less of an issue. Note that even with Taunt, moves such as Dragon Tail, Circle Throw and Clear Smog can still remove the boosts, so a powerful offensive partner, such as Golurk, Jynx, or Sawk, can be used to quickly dispatch these threats.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Me First is situationally useful for reflecting back moves of slower opponents with 1.5 times the power (the equivalent of STAB), occassionally outdamaging Floatzel's own attacks, but is useless against moves its counters use and fails against faster opponents / attacks. Focus Blast is an option, but most of its targets are specially defensive or are hit harder by Hydro Pump anyway, limiting its usefulness. Aqua Tail can go over Waterfall on anywhere it is mentioned, but trading flinching and accuracy just for power is generally not worth it, especially when Floatzel can easily make use of the flinching chance with its good speed. Pursuit can be used to trap pokemon such as Jynx, but Sneasel does this better due to STAB and resists its targets' STABs. Rain Dance can be used to power up Floatzel's STAB while doubling its speed, but Floatzel wodoesn't have the bulk to set up Rain for itself and must rely on teammates for the job. Agility should hardly be considered as it is usually outclassed by Rain Dance + Swift Swim, and there are better pPokemon for Baton Passing speed boosts, namely Ninjask. Floatzel has the movepool to try a specially offensive set, but that is outclassed by Simipour's greater powerSpecial Attack, coverage, and Nasty Plot. Aqua Ring is a possible option on the Baton Pass set, but Floatzel usually prefers Taunt or the extra coverage in that last moveslot. Flame Orb + Switcheroo is a gimmick, as it only burns once and at the end of the turn to boot, meaning Floatzel isn't taking weakened damage on the turn it Switcheroos.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Floatzel relies mostly relies on quick clean KOes, or a setup opportunity in Bulk Up's case. Water-types with strong neutral / super effective moves, such as Ludicolo, Samurott, and Earth Power Seismitoad, generally make for the best counters, provided they can take Floatzel's other attacks well. Be warned that the same defensive Water-types that wall offensive Floatzels to hell and back, such as Alomomola, Earthquake Seismitoad, Frillish, and Wartortle risk being turned into setup fodder for Bulk Up Floatzel. Grass-types and Electric-types can easily dispatch Floatzel, but the only issue is that all Grass-types are slower than Floatzel, whereas only one Electric-type (in Zebstrika) outspeeds Floatzel. Grass-types with more balanced defenses that can tank Ice-type attacks, such as Meganium, Ludicolo, and Cradily, are considered better answers than Tangela and Roselia, who fears Ice Beam and Ice Punch, respectively. All other Electric-types bar Zebstrika usually hasve to take at least one unresisted hit (which they usually can if at good health) before KOing Floatzel, or utilize Choice Scarf to outspeed it, making them better checks than counters. Eviolite Electabuzz can take a striong hit relatively well and OHKO with Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Bulk Up sets are a bit trickier to stop since their incredible speed means stopping them with Taunt, status, or a KO before Baton Pass is difficult. Simply weakening Floatzel to the point where it can no longer set up can be considered sufficient though. Choice Scarfers can threaten Floatzel with powerful neutral STAB or coverage moves whereas priority can whittle down Floatzel greatly, but note that Bulk Up Floatzel is more resilient to this. Floatzel cannot be burned thanks to Water Veil, but absolutely despises paralysis from pPokemon such as Stun Spore Vileplume, Thunder Wave Audino / Liepard, and Body Slam Lickilicky, which neuters its greatest advantage in sSpeed and means it loses to almost everythingakes Floatzel dead weight.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Meet the fastest Water-type in NU, who has usable enough offensive stats and a movepool to present itself as a threat. After it acquired Hydro Pump and resolved some move illegalities with Water Veil, namely Ice Punch, Floatzel can now combat numerous threats at once without sacrificing its effectiveness. Sporting good coverage on the tier with its access to Water, Ice, Dark and Fighting moves, Floatzel can take on a wide variety of Pokemon by itself, blasting them before they can move. Unfortunately, its frailty means it often loses to most neutral matchups and bulky walls. It also faces competition with Simipour and Basculin for teams wanting a fast, hard-hitting Water-type, and its awkward mix of higher physical Attack but stronger special movepool doesn't help it in that regard.</p>

[SET]
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Floatzel's Speed is a major selling point over Simipour, who can pull off a similar set. A mixed set offers best overall power and coverage against threats due to the ability to hit from both ends of the spectrum, physical or special. Hydro Pump is Floatzel's strongest move against neutral targets, striking down Pokemon that Waterfall would fail to KO, namely Piloswine, Torkoal, and Scolipede, among others. Ice Beam is stronger than Ice Punch against targets of equal defenses, as well as hitting Tangela, Torterra, and Exeggutor much harder; however, Ice Punch still has its uses, as it 2HKOes Roselia and +1 Calm Mind Serperior even with no investment, which Ice Beam fails to do. Crunch maims Jynx and specially bulky Psychics such as Gardevoir and Grumpig that can easily take Floatzel's other attacks. Hidden Power Grass is used for opposing Water-types that would otherwise wall Floatzel, such as Seismitoad, Wartortle, and Alomomola, whereas Low Kick dents specially bulky Pokemon such as Licklicky, Munchlax, Lapras,and Regice for solid damage.
</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Special Attack investment is necessary to give Floatzel the power it needs to hit threats hard, while max Speed takes advantage of Floatzel's greatest quality. The last 4 EVs go into Attack to give its physical attack(s) a bit more bite. Floatzel's better Attack stat means it can still opt for a physically inclined set, which can be more consistent but is much easier to wall. If you choose to go that route, Return should go over Crunch if fully invested in Attack, as a Life Orb-boosted Return easily OHKOes Jynx anyway and is its best attack against opposing Water-types, though Crunch can still be used to combat Misdreavus better while it cannot burn you. Swift Swim is an option to allows Floatzel to combat Rain, but the problem is that it doesn't do too good at that job and Water Veil gives Floatzel free switch-ins to burn-inducing moves. Physical Floatzel can also make use of STAB Aqua Jet to pick off faster foes. Teammates that can handle special walls, such as Mantine and Regice, for mixed Floatzel and physical walls for physical Floatzel, such as Alomomola and Tangela, are highly recommended. Floatzel's susceptibility to revenge killing and priority prompts the use of a bulky teammate such as Gurdurr, which deals with priority users in Kangaskhan or Skuntank very well. Floatzel highly appreciates Grass-type partners, such as Tangela, Vileplume, Serperior, and Sawsbuck, as they resist its weaknesses and either support it passively with Sleep Powder, dual screens, or Aromatherapy, or offensively by weakening problem Pokemon with offensive pressure.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When equipped with a Choice Band, Floatzel's Attack gets boosted to very high levels. While this set looks to be competing with the stronger Basculin, Floatzel has higher Speed and access to Switcheroo, which is one of this set's major selling points. Waterfall is Floatzel's main STAB and can strike down numerous targets when boosted. Ice Punch nails Grass-types and Dragon-types wanting to resist Waterfall and retaliate. Return is Floatzel's strongest attack against opposing Water-types and has more than enough power to take down Jynx. The coverage of Water, Ice and Normal provides unresisted coverage bar Frillish and Shedinja who are so rare that hitting them is irrelevant. Switcheroo, a unique move Floatzel has among Water-types, can steal the items of walls and lock them into one move via your Choice item to render them useless or to simply ditch the item for the freedom to switch moves, making Floatzel a good Choice Band user. This allows for free reign for your set-up sweepers to boost, unhindered by the crippled wall's efforts to retaliate or survive. On the other hand, Choice Banded Aqua Jet packs a punch and can pick off fast foes, although one must be wary about being locked into it or consider if Basculin is a better alternative due to its access to Adaptability.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Choice Band Return destroys Jynx, Crunch's only real use would be against Frillish or Shedinja, or a stronger hit on Exeggutor and Misdreavus, and thus is unneccesary. Choice Scarf Floatzel could outrun other Choice Scarfers bar Zebstrika and run an Adamant nature, but Floatzel's already immense Speed and need for power makes this not as effective as it could be. Choice Floatzel, like other Choice Pokemon, tends to switch out a lot, so having teammates that can deal with opponents that resist Floatzel's moves is ideal. For example, Jynx can deal with Water-, Grass- and Dragon-types all at once, and greatly appreciates setup opportunities granted by Floatzel's Switcheroo. Again, Grass-types make for fantastic partners, as they provide a good safety buffer in case Floatzel screws up a prediction: dual screens Serperior or Meganium can improve Floatzel's durability to prolong its rampage, Leech Seed and/or Aromatherapy from Tangela or Vileplume alleviates health or status issues, while Roselia and Cacturne can provide Spikes, which help to nab certain OHKOes and 2HKOes which could not be achieved without their setup. A possible route to take would be to employ Rain Dance on the team, allowing Floatzel the freedom to run Adamant, thanks to Swift Swim, to further augment its rain-boosted attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While its frailty may indicate Bulk Up won't help Floatzel much at all, Floatzel has the tools it needs to make it work. Bulk Up not only raises Floatzel's respectable Attack, but beefs up its Defense so that it can better take physical hits, which is important for the set to function. Baton Pass is also vital to Bulk Up Floatzel's success, allowing Floatzel to bestow the boosts to a fellow sweeper to initiate a sweep, or just to get away from danger without losing momentum by wasting the boosts. Waterfall is Floatzel's STAB move and thus is its most reliable move. Floatzel also holds the distinction of being the only fully evolved Pokemon in NU that can Baton Pass Bulk Ups, so it can help out a variety of physical sweepers that either cannot boost for themselves or appreciate the defense boost to prolong their rampage. Floatzel also has access to Taunt, which is incredibly useful to prevent status, phazing, healing, or opposing boosting. The main selling point of Taunt is how it turns the tables on bulky Waters, notably defensive Seismitoad with Scald + Earthquake + Toxic, that would have walled Floatzel really well, meaning Bulk Up Floatzel can actually lure in opponents for it to set up on. Other Pokemon such as Wartortle, Alomomola, Misdreavus, and Torkoal are fair game to start setting up Bulk Up on and pass the boosts away. Note that Floatzel can take a good deal of damage from the likes of Scolipede's Megahorn even with Bulk Up boosts, which is usually your cue to pass the boost to a teammate that can handle the threat better.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With max HP investment and a respectable base 85 HP, Floatzel can set up Bulk Up on foes such as Samurott, Scolipede, Piloswine and Kangaskhan with health to spare, while Bulk Up makes up for the lack of Attack investment, reaching 370 Attack after just one boost, the equivalent of fully invested positive natured base 119 Attack, so Floatzel can still fight back if need be. Leftovers allow Floatzel to accumulate more boosts, though usually not more than two. Water Veil has significant use on this set, as it prevents Scald or Lava Plume burns, further easing its setup. Obviously, teammates that appreciate the boosts are welcome teammates for Floatzel. Scolipede and Drifblim resist Grass for Floatzel, and can even learn Baton Pass as a way to double back to Floatzel in case they encounter roadblocks in Torkoal or Misdreavus which can burn them; Golurk takes Electric attacks for Floatzel, and can hurt things with its boost while being harder to bring down with physical attacks, or even stack boosts with Rock Polish. In terms of defensive synergy, Grass-types are still there, but this time Grass-types that can take advantage of the Bulk Up boosts are preferred, such as Swords Dance Jumpluff, Rock Polish Torterra, and Sawsbuck. Sweeping with Floatzel itself is a perfectly viable option, though you'll need to sacrifice Floatzel's great utility in Taunt. The usual EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe is best for optimum sweeping, but as a result, Floatzel would be too frail to set up more than one Bulk Up most of the time, due to no bulk investment. Return offers great neutral coverage alongside Water with very few Pokemon resisting both; Ice Punch can hit Grass and Dragons hard at the cost of being walled by Water-types, though with Baton Pass this is less of an issue. Note that even with Taunt, moves such as Dragon Tail, Circle Throw and Clear Smog can still remove the boosts, so a powerful offensive partner, such as Golurk, Jynx, or Sawk, can be used to quickly dispatch these threats.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Me First is situationally useful for reflecting back moves of slower opponents with 1.5 times the power (the equivalent of STAB), occasionally outdamaging Floatzel's own attacks, but is useless against moves its counters use and fails against faster opponents / attacks. Focus Blast is an option, but most of its targets are specially defensive or are hit harder by Hydro Pump anyway, limiting its usefulness. Aqua Tail can go over Waterfall on anywhere it is mentioned, but trading flinching and accuracy just for power is generally not worth it, especially when Floatzel can easily make use of the flinch chance with its good speed. Pursuit can be used to trap pokemon such as Jynx, but Sneasel does this better due to STAB and resists its targets' STABs. Rain Dance can be used to power up Floatzel's STAB while doubling its speed, but Floatzel doesn't have the bulk to set up Rain for itself and must rely on teammates for the job. Agility should hardly be considered as it is usually outclassed by Rain Dance + Swift Swim, and there are better Pokemon for Baton Passing speed boosts, namely Ninjask. Floatzel has the movepool to try a specially offensive set, but that is outclassed by Simipour's greater Special Attack, coverage, and Nasty Plot. Aqua Ring is a possible option on the Baton Pass set, but Floatzel usually prefers Taunt or the extra coverage in that last moveslot. Flame Orb + Switcheroo is a gimmick, as it only burns once and at the end of the turn to boot, meaning Floatzel isn't taking weakened damage on the turn it Switcheroos.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Floatzel relies mostly relies on quick clean KOes, or a setup opportunity in Bulk Up's case. Water-types with strong neutral / super effective moves, such as Ludicolo, Samurott, and Earth Power Seismitoad, generally make for the best counters, provided they can take Floatzel's other attacks well. Be warned that the same defensive Water-types that wall offensive Floatzel to hell and back, such as Alomomola, Earthquake Seismitoad, Frillish, and Wartortle risk being turned into setup fodder for Bulk Up Floatzel. Grass-types and Electric-types can easily dispatch Floatzel, but the only issue is that all Grass-types are slower than Floatzel, whereas only one Electric-type in Zebstrika outspeeds Floatzel. Grass-types with more balanced defenses that can tank Ice-type attacks, such as Meganium, Ludicolo, and Cradily, are considered better answers than Tangela and Roselia, who fears Ice Beam and Ice Punch, respectively. All other Electric-types bar Zebstrika usually have to take at least one unresisted hit (which they usually can if at good health) before KOing Floatzel, or utilize Choice Scarf to outspeed it, making them better checks than counters. Eviolite Electabuzz can take a strong hit relatively well and OHKO with Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>Bulk Up sets are a bit trickier to stop since their incredible speed means stopping them with Taunt, status, or a KO before Baton Pass is difficult. Simply weakening Floatzel to the point where it can no longer set up can be considered sufficient though. Choice Scarfers can threaten Floatzel with powerful neutral STAB or coverage moves whereas priority can whittle down Floatzel greatly, but note that Bulk Up Floatzel is more resilient to this. Floatzel cannot be burned thanks to Water Veil, but absolutely despises paralysis from Pokemon such as Stun Spore Vileplume, Thunder Wave Audino / Liepard, and Body Slam Lickilicky, which neuters its greatest advantage in Speed and makes Floatzel dead weight.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)