Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

Once pokebank is accessible, will we be able to use pokemons from XY/ORAS in SM rated battlespot?
Or will we be allowed to only pokemons from SM for rated battlespot in SM?

Once pokebank is accessible, will we be able to use pokemons from XY/ORAS in SM rated battlespot?
They will be sooner or later, just depends on which tournament has rules that have restrictions. Rating battles I guess are like Battle Tree / Tower / Frontier stuff.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The official site does say that when Pokémon Bank updates they will allow Pokémon transferred from XY/ORAS will be usable but only for a "set time." We have no idea how long that will be. It could be one season, several seasons, or forever...

Still working on that doubles VGC rain team. Unsure whether or not it will work out, hearing so much about how common Koko is. If its a bad idea I can always scrap it and if thats the best move def let me know. Otherwise I have the Pel, Koko, A-Raichu, and Ribombee. Any suggestions for the last 2 slots?

Still working on that doubles VGC rain team. Unsure whether or not it will work out, hearing so much about how common Koko is. If its a bad idea I can always scrap it and if thats the best move def let me know. Otherwise I have the Pel, Koko, A-Raichu, and Ribombee. Any suggestions for the last 2 slots?
Make that as your first team, and do its counter for the last two Pokémon. Garchomp and a friend, running Sand storm instead of drizzle.

Make that as your first team, and do its counter for the last two Pokémon. Garchomp and a friend, running Sand storm instead of drizzle.
What about A-Golem to compliment Garchomp then? That way my team can pivot from a Rain/Electric Terrain team to a Sandstorm/Electric Terrain team allowing Golem to benefit from both?

EDIT: Wait thats a stupid idea. I'd get wreckt by my own EQs.

What about A-Golem to compliment Garchomp then? That way my team can pivot from a Rain/Electric Terrain team to a Sandstorm/Electric Terrain team allowing Golem to benefit from both?
You can only take 4 Pokémon into a battle, so there'll be none of that unless your team is Tapu Koko, Raichu, Garchomp and Golem, or similar 3+1support. You'll either lose out on Water type support, or the HP support, or both in the case of a two-sided coin. The reason I suggested you train two ground-type Pokémon is for when you see another electric team in the team-preview screen and need something to fight that plus whatever their second-two is. And some fighting moves might help with the Celesteela bulk.

this is why i don't play doubles, too much mind-game and bwehh

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What was the bug that resulted in a temporary ban of Memento and Parting Shot?
The Z-Move versions of those would cause you to disconnect from the server for some reason. People were spamming them online as it didn't count as a disconnect or loss on your part, so it was the hot new way to rage quit. They should also be banned on PS now/soon so as to be consistent with the in-game rules.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Hello, I've been getting interested in playing Pokemon again with the new generation. I'll be active here and in the Smogon Battle Spot discord. My first focus will be on doubles in particular, where I'm going to try and work with a breedables VGC legal team to start with lol. There's lots of new changes to get used competitively in this gen, so hopefully it'll be fun to explore together.

Also, to stay relevant to the thread, what nature should I SR for my Sogaleo, for the special ladder? I'm torn between Jolly and Adamant.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Hello, I've been getting interested in playing Pokemon again with the new generation. I'll be active here and in the Smogon Battle Spot discord. My first focus will be on doubles in particular, where I'm going to try and work with a breedables VGC legal team to start with lol. There's lots of new changes to get used competitively in this gen, so hopefully it'll be fun to explore together.

Also, to stay relevant to the thread, what nature should I SR for my Sogaleo, for the special ladder? I'm torn between Jolly and Adamant.
LegoFigure11 has SR'd several natures already, I think they're Adamant, Jolly and Impish. Careful is viable. I did Naive myself.

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
what do for nihilego?

cant decide on timid (still gets walled by steel or ground even with hidden power), bold to patch up the shitty defense, modest AV set or calm to make a dedicated special wall. any advice?

what do for nihilego?

cant decide on timid (still gets walled by steel or ground even with hidden power), bold to patch up the shitty defense, modest AV set or calm to make a dedicated special wall. any advice?
A timid sash set as a stealth rock lead is pretty much the standard set atm.

what do for nihilego?

I've seen Choice Scarf Nihilego do serious work as a revenge killer / cleaner.

+1 252+ Nihilego reaches a Speed of 255.

That's enough to outspeed...

+1 252+ Garchomp (253)
+2 252 Cloyster (244)
+1 252+ Tapu Lele (241)
+1 252 Mega Sharpedo (235)
252+ Pheromosa (223)
252+ Mega Alakazam (222)
+1 252+ Xurkitree (222)

...and everything slower like scarfless Tapu Koko or Mega Gengar.

With a simple Timid 252 / 252 spread you get a Special Attack of 179 and a Speed of 170 (before modifiers like Choice Scarf).
This means that Beast Boost would boost your Special Attack if you manage to get a kill and Choice Scarf doesn't change that.
Cleaning with this thing during lategame is definitely possible. Especially with Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge being omnipresent and stopping one of the biggest threats to Choice Scarf Nihilego, physical priority.

PS: Bold with physical 'bulk' sounds terrible. Maybe Reflect. Maybe.

Last edited:
sash rocks if you want to punish switches and set up a sweep
scarf if you want to revenge kill literally everything relevant except celesteela
use hp ice timid

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
If you're going to take LF's Solgaleos, you won't have to worry about training them, as they come battle ready.
Yup! I actually got careful for my Sogaleo, as per cant say's advice, I'm hoping to trade it with him today so he can add it to his pool in case someone else needs it in the future as well.

---

I'm thinking about doing double weather on my first battle spot doubles team in gen 7, with ninetales (the pokemon I'm building the team around) + Pelipper (wanted to explore this pokemon with it's new ability) as the setters. Teammates are likely going to be garchomp, mega metagross (for fairy / dragon / steel core), alolawak, and tapu bulu for terrain.

I think I have a decent idea of what sets I want to explore for all of these guys except Pelipper. I was tentatively thinking something like this, but are there other good ideas?

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Wide Guard

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Yup! I actually got careful for my Sogaleo, as per cant say's advice, I'm hoping to trade it with him today so he can add it to his pool in case someone else needs it in the future as well.

---

I'm thinking about doing double weather on my first battle spot doubles team in gen 7, with ninetales (the pokemon I'm building the team around) + Pelipper (wanted to explore this pokemon with it's new ability) as the setters. Teammates are likely going to be garchomp, mega metagross (for fairy / dragon / steel core), alolawak, and tapu bulu for terrain.

I think I have a decent idea of what sets I want to explore for all of these guys except Pelipper. I was tentatively thinking something like this, but are there other good ideas?

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Wide Guard
I would recommend using Scald/Hurricane/Tailwind/Protect with a site is berry on Pelipper. Tailwind provides speed control for your team and I prefer Protect over Wide Guard. Pelipper isn't really bulky enough to make use of Roost or Leftovers. You should also use a bold nature as it won't make you underspeed any other weather setters besides Politoed.

What currently viable pokemon besides Salamence and Metagross benefit extremely well from tutor moves from ORAS?

Debating what to breed in Sun and what to breed in gen 6 and bring over when Bank becomes available. Trying to minimise the amount of things I need to bring over.

What currently viable pokemon besides Salamence and Metagross benefit extremely well from tutor moves from ORAS?

Debating what to breed in Sun and what to breed in gen 6 and bring over when Bank becomes available. Trying to minimise the amount of things I need to bring over.
Marowak-A gets a bunch of potentially useful Tutor moves (Fire Punch, Knock Off, Thunder Punch, Low Kick, Stealth Rock) as a Cubone in ORAS.

What are considered to be Silvally's best sets? I'm trying to decide what nature I want for mine; was thinking Adamant for a SD set.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
What nature is Pory2 running on this meta?
P2 is really flexible with natures as it can fit several different roles in a team. Bold and Modest were the most common coming into Sun & Moon and are both seeing lots of usage now. I think Calm has become much more viable now with the influx of special attackers this gen. you can also use stuff like Quiet, Relaxed, and Sassy on Trick Room builds and mixed-attacking Download sets. So really you kinda need to decide what you want to use P2 for before deciding on the nature. It's not like with Garchomp how it's Jolly or nothing lol.

Has anyone played with Mega Metagross or Alakazam (Mega/non) + Tapu Lele much? Psychic Terrain allieviates them both of Sucker Punch and puts their power through the fucking roof.
MegaGross' Zen Headbutt for example has an astronomical 234 power (80*STAB*Terrain*1.3 Tough Claws), roughly equal to Mienshao's HJK.
Alakazam is faster (120 or 150) and depending on the set, LO/Specs Psychic is no joke and MegaZammy is damn near impossible to outspeed and nothing wants to stomach the hit. Psychic is 202 power, and Alakazam isn't exact;y lacking the Sp. Atk department especially on a Specs set.
Lele also helps rip into Dark types and is no slouch itself, so I figure Lele + one of the above paired with a Steel killer (Garchomp, Arcanine, maybe even Magmortar lol) could be pretty fucking painful.

You can tell I'm depressed in a meta devoid of Char-Y lol.

Hello,

I need some help finding a 3rd member to complete my battlespot singles "mini" team.

Basically I have M-Salamence+Magnezone, because I think they are a good duo, and I was thinking about Tapu Fini as the 3rd member, but Misty Surge doesn't really affect M-Mence, so I don't really know what Pokémon to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)