Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

Modest or Timid for special Mence?
I play Timid, but it depends on your format whether it's a Singles or Doubles Mega Mence.

If there's any notable Pokemon that are killed by Modest that are not killed by the same spread on Timid, and you are afraid of not being able to kill that mon, then play Modest if you're confident in your team.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Modest or Timid for special Mence?
I like Timid because without Dragon Dance you get revenge killed by things like Mega Metagross, Z-move Kartana, Mega Luc, Latios, even Serperior. But if ou have answers for the few things between Nihilego and opposing Mence Modest is perfectly fine. It's mostly a team-specific / personal preference thing.

I'm really trying to break the 2000 mark on BSS, I've come close a few times but never got there yet . I'm looking for some help on designing a proper team any suggestions are much appreciated!!

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I'm entirely new to BSS, being a veteran of OU. That being said, can I get an explanation as to why Breloom and Gyarados-Mega are A rank on the VR? They don't seem too good even in a 3v3 meta but I have just about no experience so idrk.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm entirely new to BSS, being a veteran of OU. That being said, can I get an explanation as to why Breloom and Gyarados-Mega are A rank on the VR? They don't seem too good even in a 3v3 meta but I have just about no experience so idrk.
Pretty simple for both; Breloom is one of the best Focus Sash users in the format, Spore / Rock Tomb / Mach Punch / Bullet Seed puts in so much work in 3v3. Mega Gyarados is one of the very few set up sweepers that doesn't get revenge killed by Mimikyu thanks to Mold Breaker.

Idk about Gyarados, but Breloom can be a very disruptive lead with Spore, automatically putting your pokemon out of commision. It can also do the same thing mid-game with sash. Also, sleep clause isn't a thing here, so you're free to go for double Spore, or hard switch into a setup sweeper while your opponent sleeps.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
If anyone is would give me a brief explanation of the reason why Stealth Rock has become very prevalent in Battle Spot Singles, I would greatly appreciate it.

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
One word: Charizard

In all seriousness, if you scroll down the Top 30 in usage stats, you'll see that rocks hit 5 'mons for at least 25% per switch-in. This, combined with the 12.5% done on neutral hits, can turn a 2HKO into an OHKO. And since Pokémon on BSS teams are usually EV'd specifically to take on a particular threat from full HP, SR damage can often serve to invalidate your opponent's "counter" to something like a Mega Salamence for example.

On a similar note of ruining counters/techs, SR also has the added benefit of breaking sashes on threats like Breloom, Pheromosa, Volcarona, and sometimes Serperior/Mimikyu/Primarina/Blaziken. Not picking up a necessary KO due to an unexpected Focus Sash can cost you the game, so getting up early rocks can definitely save you from nasty surprises later on.

Finally, SR + phaze strategies are popular on offensive teams with 'mons like Hippowdon as it enables Yawn/Whirlwind spam to weaken the opponent's team and allow a set-up sweeper like Zard X or Mence to clean up late game.

One word: Charizard

In all seriousness, if you scroll down the Top 30 in usage stats, you'll see that rocks hit 5 'mons for at least 25% per switch-in. This, combined with the 12.5% done on neutral hits, can turn a 2HKO into an OHKO. And since Pokémon on BSS teams are usually EV'd specifically to take on a particular threat from full HP, SR damage can often serve to invalidate your opponent's "counter" to something like a Mega Salamence for example.

On a similar note of ruining counters/techs, SR also has the added benefit of breaking sashes on threats like Breloom, Pheromosa, Volcarona, and sometimes Serperior/Mimikyu/Primarina/Blaziken. Not picking up a necessary KO due to an unexpected Focus Sash can cost you the game, so getting up early rocks can definitely save you from nasty surprises later on.

Finally, SR + phaze strategies are popular on offensive teams with 'mons like Hippowdon as it enables Yawn/Whirlwind spam to weaken the opponent's team and allow a set-up sweeper like Zard X or Mence to clean up late game.
Quick question, would Spikes be fine to use instead due to the second reason of nullifying focus sashes and hitting a fair amount of the top 30 mon? Thank you :)

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Quick question, would Spikes be fine to use instead due to the second reason of nullifying focus sashes and hitting a fair amount of the top 30 mon? Thank you :)
Spikes is generally not worth running, the advantage of Stealth Rock is that its damage is influenced by weaknesses and does a lot of damage to several top tier threats while also having a much more widespread distribution and hitting floating Pokemon. The advantage of Spikes in 6v6 is that it can realistically be stacked and punishes switches more easily due to switching being generally more frequent, but in a 3v3 setting you can't afford to just stack Spikes. Stealth Rock on the other hand is just one turn of setup for guaranteed damage on any Pokemon, which is important.

I'm pretty new to competitive pokemon and got a shiny, adamant Salamence while breeding. Unfortunately it has no access to Dragon Dance..

So my question is if there are any viable builds for Salamence without Dragon Dance?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I'm pretty new to competitive pokemon and got a shiny, adamant Salamence while breeding. Unfortunately it has no access to Dragon Dance..

So my question is if there are any viable builds for Salamence without Dragon Dance?
What nature is it? SubToxic is a pretty cool set but Jolly is usually best for that. If Adamant then SubRoost + 2 attacks can probably work. I'm assuming it's not Timid/Modest/Naive etc because you mentioned DD, if for some reason it is then a special/mixed set works great too.

edit: oh it says adamant right there lol. yeah you're kinda stuck unfortunately.

Last edited:

Yes, there are:

Mixed MegaMence:
Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash / Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Special MegaMence:
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Roost / Earthquake

SubToxic Mence:
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Roost
- Return

EDIT:
My bad just saw that you have an Adamant one.
Well, Adamant Mega Mence is almost always with Dragon Dance :/ . You could use it without it, but it would always feel like a waste, since the variants without DD are either Mixed attackers or tend to use its superb speed tier for strategies such as the Sub/Toxic and fast offense

Last edited:
Man what does the standard BSS stall team look like? I heard a lot about stuff like Mega Sableye, Chansey, Toxapex, and maybe Gliscor. I did some research but can't find any solid posts on it.

Man what does the standard BSS stall team look like? I heard a lot about stuff like Mega Sableye, Chansey, Toxapex, and maybe Gliscor. I did some research but can't find any solid posts on it.
Mostly Chansey and Skarmory + stuff like toxapex / curse mimikyu / gliscor and such by their side, while also carrying in the team a check for standard stall team counters like CharX, such as Scarf Nihilego / TTar and similar

I'd say standard stall was Chansey + Skarmory + Toxapex/Slowbro-Mega as the starting core. With Tyranitar/Muk-A (anti-Gengar, pursuit trapper), Gliscor (SpDef, anti-Aegislash/Koko) and then something like M-Gengar, M-Venusaur or Quagsire in the last slot.
Stall can be pretty flexible, but most will start with Chansey, Skarmory and Toxapex. They might ease of on having a dedicated anti-Gengar slot if they have shed shell or techs such as skill swap on Chansey.

Hi I'm new to Smogon so please forgive me if I'm asking this question in the wrong place.

I want to use a Landorus-T and Thundurus opening in Battle Spot doubles. I know it is a very powerful opening. It was used on the winning team in 2015 worlds. Although I've seen it used in a few battle videos and used it myself I don't really understand it as well as I do with other strategys. Could anybody explain exactly how this strategy is supposed to work?

Thanks.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Hi I'm new to Smogon so please forgive me if I'm asking this question in the wrong place.

I want to use a Landorus-T and Thundurus opening in Battle Spot doubles. I know it is a very powerful opening. It was used on the winning team in 2015 worlds. Although I've seen it used in a few battle videos and used it myself I don't really understand it as well as I do with other strategys. Could anybody explain exactly how this strategy is supposed to work?

Thanks.
The idea behind the double genie lead in VGC 2015 is that the two cover each other very well with their typings and provide a lot of pressure with Rock Slide flinches and easy Earthquake use, as well as Thunder Wave or Swagger support. It's just a very flexible lead that at worst has a decent matchup against many opposing leads due to boasting many options at lead matchup.

That being said, that lead isn't quite as powerful this gen, since Thundurus took a massive hit between the Swagger and confusion nerfs, paralysis and Thunder Wave nerfs, and to a lesser extent the Prankster nerf. It's also gained competition as an offensive Electric-type from Tapu Koko, which is generally a superior choice due to Electric Terrain and a better Speed tier. Thundurus-T itself is also generally better for being a good Electric check while also offering the same Ground immunity that Thundurus provides. The rise in Tyranitar usage does it no favors either since it can't even fish for Thunder Wave or Swagger luck against it. I'd consider looking into Thundurus-T or Tapu Koko instead, Thundurus isn't a bad choice but it won't have the same level of consistency this gen as it did in 2015.

I've been out of the loop for a while now but I see Altaria's megastone has been released. Is it any good?

Does anyone here have experience with a Cotton Guard Mega Altaria set? I use Roost;Cotton Guard;Hyper Voice and Toxic to beat and set up on prominent Pokémon such as Blaziken, Charizard (both formes), Gyarados, Volcarona and physical attackers in general. However, its matchup versus steel and poison types and stall teams is so bad that Altaria desperately needs teammates to get rid of them. Heatran seems to pair well with Altaria but I'm stuck teambuilding from here on.

Do you guys think the flaws this Altaria set has can be solved by proper teambuilding or should I give up on it? I know Altaria learns Fire Blast but its really weak with no SpAtk investment. Also, a calm nature really is needed to stand a chance versus Charizard (Mega Y) and Volcarona.

Does anyone here have experience with a Cotton Guard Mega Altaria set? I use Roost;Cotton Guard;Hyper Voice and Toxic to beat and set up on prominent Pokémon such as Blaziken, Charizard (both formes), Gyarados, Volcarona and physical attackers in general. However, its matchup versus steel and poison types and stall teams is so bad that Altaria desperately needs teammates to get rid of them. Heatran seems to pair well with Altaria but I'm stuck teambuilding from here on.

Do you guys think the flaws this Altaria set has can be solved by proper teambuilding or should I give up on it? I know Altaria learns Fire Blast but its really weak with no SpAtk investment. Also, a calm nature really is needed to stand a chance versus Charizard (Mega Y) and Volcarona.
That's not a bad set, i'm sure that in a 1vs1 scenario with Altaria going agaisnt Blazi or CharX that'd be pretty good, although regular Mega Altaria can almost freely set up DD and roost up vs those two, so wouldn't it be a waste to use that set, when the DD one (that can become a much more impactful win factor) can handle them as well?

That's not a bad set, i'm sure that in a 1vs1 scenario with Altaria going agaisnt Blazi or CharX that'd be pretty good, although regular Mega Altaria can almost freely set up DD and roost up vs those two, so wouldn't it be a waste to use that set, when the DD one (that can become a much more impactful win factor) can handle them as well?
Thanks for your reply Solerme!
I don't think a Dragon Dance moveset can freely set up on those two. Altaria that run Dragon Dance will be investing in attack and speed and therefore lack the necessary bulk to stand a chance versus powerful hits, even if they are resisted. Base stats like 75 HP and 110 Def are just average for a Mega, considering it can't hold Leftovers.

+2 252 Atk Blaziken-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Altaria-Mega: 119-141 (79.3 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Outspeeds with Speed Boost)
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Altaria-Mega: 93-109 (62 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Outspeeds with Dragon Dance)
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 78-92 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (with Flame Charge)
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 102-122 (68 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Quiver Dance)

The unboosted attacks (Return and Earthquake) from a 252+ Mega Altaria only have a very small chance to OHKO Mega Blaziken and never will be OHKOing Charizard or Volcarona. This means that should your opponent set up with one of the afformentioned Pokémon and you bring in Altaria the turn it sets up, Altaria will have to attack twice to KO them but will always be taking 2 boosted hits since its slower than the opponent, even after it uses Dragon Dance. The damage calculations show that it can't take 2 hits so Altaria would only be able to set up on them if they were brought out in battle at the very same time. Even then its matchups versus the two special attackers aren't very great.

Edit: on top of that I think Dragon Dance Altaria is a weaker version of Salamence (lower attack stat and moves with less bp), which has even more trouble with Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Venusaur, Tapu Fini, Metagross and Aegislash (to mention a few) and lacks a useful ability in Intimidate to easen setting up prior to mega evolving.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)