Freed Pokemon

The only real "counter" I've found for Sneasel is Shellos. Simply because it's not 2HKO'd by anything that Sneasel has and can recover off the damage, but it's still weary of a crit.

Your OP is kind of wacky, though. Aerial Ace is pretty much never used because it's coverage is kind of redundant with Ice Punch and Sneasel doesn't really want to hit Fightings. Most Yanma and Sneasel carry Life Orb as well, since the power increase in Life Orb is really important sometimes. For instance, with Sneasek vs Yanma:

236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yanma: 18-26 (78.26 - 113.04%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO
236 Atk Eviolite Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yanma: 14-20 (60.86 - 86.95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Eviolite Yanma is a decent check, though. Ice Shard is a 2HKO, however you're slower on the first turn, which means that you're forced to run Protect or you'll be OHKO'd by Ice Punch. There's also Stealth Rock.

236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Yanma: 16-18 (69.56 - 78.26%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Those defenses aren't bad, they are pretty average, just it looks less because people mostly run LO to make up for its low bp moves. But an eviolite set is viable for SD boosting. Anyway timburr is a great check to sneasel as it can take all hits very well, and has priority to take him out.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The only real "counter" I've found for Sneasel is Shellos. Simply because it's not 2HKO'd by anything that Sneasel has and can recover off the damage, but it's still weary of a crit.

Your OP is kind of wacky, though. Aerial Ace is pretty much never used because it's coverage is kind of redundant with Ice Punch and Sneasel doesn't really want to hit Fightings. Most Yanma and Sneasel carry Life Orb as well, since the power increase in Life Orb is really important sometimes. For instance, with Sneasek vs Yanma:

236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yanma: 18-26 (78.26 - 113.04%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO
236 Atk Eviolite Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yanma: 14-20 (60.86 - 86.95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Eviolite Yanma is a decent check, though. Ice Shard is a 2HKO, however you're slower on the first turn, which means that you're forced to run Protect or you'll be OHKO'd by Ice Punch. There's also Stealth Rock.

236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Yanma: 16-18 (69.56 - 78.26%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Actually...
Knock Off's 1.5x effect also activates with Sticky Hold, this was just proven.
HOWEVER
236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off vs. 228 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Shellos: 12-16 (44.44 - 59.25%) -- 12.11% chance to 2HKO

It can manage to tank it most of the time, you have a 1/10 chance to lose the matchup, though.
I'd generally run Shellos + Growlithe + speedy scarfer, as this core can check most of the meta.

Most Sneasel run inner focus so tit's fake out+bp isn't a good check/counter.

I've found Swirlix to be a good check if you switch in on ice punch (works well paired with Gligar) because ice punch does ~70% and then you can (I believe) OHKO with Flamethrower after LO recoil.

Sturdy 'mons are OK checks because they can live a hit, but they usually can't OHKO in return.
Ponyta checks because it can live a knock off+ice shard and OHKO with flare blitz
Skrelp can live a hit and hit back hard, dunno about OHKO though.

I've found Swirlix to be a good check if you switch in on ice punch (works well paired with Gligar) because ice punch does ~70% and then you can (I believe) OHKO with Flamethrower after LO recoil.

Sturdy 'mons are OK checks because they can live a hit, but they usually can't OHKO in return.
Ponyta checks because it can live a knock off+ice shard and OHKO with flare blitz
it s a 2hko, but you can run berry juice

Why would you flamethrower when you can use dazzling gleam?

Also Sneasel would just knock off ponyta twice.

Timburr is not a good long term solution to Sneasel:

236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Punch vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Timburr: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Punch vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Timburr: 17-21 (68 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Knock Off does 32 - 36%, so if you switch in on a knock off, Timburr is forced to mach punch because Ice Punch will kill before it can Drain Punch. If Sneasel switches out to Gilgar (which is almost always with Sneseal), you just lost your Timburr.

You need max defense and max HP to stand a chance:

236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Punch vs. 236 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Timburr: 9-12 (33.33 - 44.44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Punch vs. 236 HP / 236+ Def Timburr: 13-17 (48.14 - 62.96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Knock Off does 18 - 29%, so you can afford to Drain Punch because Ice Punch won't kill you, but it will leave you at low HP. However, after coming in on a knock off, if Sneseal switches to Gilgar, even max defense max HP timburr is forced to mach punch

The problem with timburr is that drain punch recovery just doesn't cut it when you need to Mach Punch and Gilgar is around which means you heal like 1 or 2 HP.

Ponyta does not check Sneasel. All it can do is switch in, get hit once or twice, die and hope Flame Body activates. That isn't a check.

Growlithe needs Stealth Rock off the field:
-1 236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off vs. 236 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Growlithe: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- 12.11% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
but then:
-1 236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off vs. 236 HP / 236+ Def Growlithe: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- 12.11% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You lose your eviolite, and even at -1 and Knock Off's 65 BP you can still be 2HKO'd.

Last edited:
Excluding criticals, 248 hp/172+ def relaxed bronzor can take anything sneasel throws. LO jolly sneasel has 61.55% percent chance to 3HKO whereas an uninvested bronzor can absolutely 2HKO jolly eviolite sneasel with gyro ball.
Aron can function as a counter as well so long as sneasel does not have brick break

Excluding criticals, 248 hp/172+ def relaxed bronzor can take anything sneasel throws. LO jolly sneasel has 61.55% percent chance to 3HKO whereas an uninvested bronzor can absolutely 2HKO jolly eviolite sneasel with gyro ball.
Aron can function as a counter as well so long as sneasel does not have brick break
236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Eviolite Bronzor: 18-26 (72 - 104%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

I'm confused.

He must have forgot about steel's lose of a dark resistance
Ooops, was using an old calc. Hard finding a new one. Still mach punch timbur will rip it a new one. That said, sneasel is now more ridiculously op with its biggest wall type getting nerfed.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i merged ssin's thread and this thread together since they overlap each other. Feel free to talk about counters for all the freed mons here.

Snubbull's new typing and intimidate allows it to check Sneasel. Only facing around a 3 or 4hko with fully invested hp/defense.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
if knock off and icicle crash are both egg moves then they're legal together as per gen6 breeding mechanics. you're right though, i'm going off of theory just like everyone else in this forum.
Knock Off is a tutor move for Sneasel and Icicle Crash is a 6th gen only egg move, so they are incompatible together.

Sneasel's banned now. Well, to me, that does mean other Ice and Dark types will get more use. Plus, stuff Sneasel countered will get better.

I updated the OP to note Sneasel's ban. I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of Tangela and Gligar destruction and most importantly, notice it more because Sneasel isn't there to overshadow them.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i think we are going to see more yanma than anything else with sneasels passing. i seriously cant even figure out what beats it out of things that i consider bad like munchlax. speed boost with that kind of power is unfair. its also resistant to most common priority so life sucks :( defog doesnt make our lives easier either lol

The thing with Yanma is that it doesn't punish switch-ins like Sneasel did, if you have something to take a hit, it can still take the hits.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The thing with Yanma is that it doesn't punish switch-ins like Sneasel did, if you have something to take a hit, it can still take the hits.
well im talking more about its hard to prevent it from sweeping a weakened team. before just having sneasel made people less willing to put it on the team. a lot of teams ive seen cant really deal with yanma sweeping your team

also Expulso swinub has bad stats :(

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
prem Ice Shard users in LC:
- Seel (45 Atk)
- Snorunt (50 Atk) (STAB)
- Swinub (50 Atk) (STAB)
- Vanillite (50 Atk) (STAB)
- Phampy (60 Atk)
- Snover (62 Atk) (STAB)*
- Shellder (65 Atk)

Not sure if Amaura uses it.
*Weak to Flying

well im talking more about its hard to prevent it from sweeping a weakened team. before just having sneasel made people less willing to put it on the team. a lot of teams ive seen cant really deal with yanma sweeping your team

also Expulso swinub has bad stats :(
Yea I'm not saying that Yanma isn't in the same league as the other Pokemon it's just that it's a one-dimensional offensive powerhouse, like Carvanha where as Gligar and Tangela are bulky and more versatile and really easy to fit on a team.

Also: is Amaura's hidden ability released yet?
blaraedit: no

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)