Move Freeze Dry

What are your thoughts on Freeze Dry?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hidden Power Ground is still Vanilluxe best option in the fourth slot on account of having literally nothing else worth using. At least it still hits Lairon, Probopass & Bastiodon.

Amaura
Bergmite
Cubchoo
Cryogonal
Delibird
Lapras

Seel
Sneasel
Snorunt
Snover
Spheal

Swinub
Vanillite
Also bumping this up, in case anyone want to test the other chaps, although honestly none of them could really make much use of it. Well I suppose if Freeze Dry is enough to push Lapras up to at least RU, then Dewgong could use it in NU without being outclassed by Lapras. Unless someone discovers some shocking inheritor of the move nobody expects, but thus far it's not looking like anyone else is going to get it. Best hope now is move tutor in Z/XY2/Whatevernextgameiscalled

edit; or pokebank, maybe some older gen Pokemon get it via leveling up, and considering Articuno gets it, it may not be all too unlikely that Regice or Kyurem will

Last edited:
I don't know about shocking but Bulba is now listing Swinub as being able to get the move via chain breeding. Yup.

Edit: Now pokemons such as Glaceon and Sneasal should be tested as well I suppose.

I'm not yet believing it till we get a picture of a Swinub with Freeze Dry- but too bad Freeze Dry would work off it's horrible Sp. Atk stat in any case. Makes you wonder if you can chain breed it over to anything else FROM there, though if true.

Well Seel/Dewgong do not get the move through breeding. I'm not gonna bother trying to breed a special move onto a physical attacker.

Still waiting for Showdown to let me abuse freezedry Lapras. Aurorus thank you for passing your genes to a better pokemon

Okay, I finished breeding Aurorus with all the non-Ice types in the Monster egg group I could (Meganium, Feraligatr, Sceptile, and Swampert are unavailable to me).

...None of them gets Freeze Dry by breeding.

Next order of business: investigate the Mineral egg group.

EDIT: Done breeding with every non-Ice type in the Mineral egg group (except Cofagrigus). None of them can learn it either.

Last edited:
Just found out something: Thick Fat Walrein and Dewgong resist Freeze Dry. (Water/Ice is naturally neutral to Freeze Dry, and Thick Fat makes it a resistance because, odd as it is, Freeze Dry is still an Ice move.) Might not be worth mentioning because Thick Fat is not their niche; I just wanted to point it out.

Also, sorry for the bump.

Vanilluxe has decent special attack, and breeding Water Pulse on to it/teaching Freeze Dry to an exported Vanilluxe when that is available basically fixes its lolmoveset problem. Granted, Vanilluxe can't really switch in on anything thanks to the brilliant minds who came up with Ice's defenses and its rather meh speed, but I think it's worth noting.

Vanilluxe also gets weather ball, so you could put a damp rock mon with rain dance, drizzle politoed and give it a rain boosted 100 bp water move.

Going in a completely different direction, I've been working with freeze dry as a revenge killing move, especially on mono-ice(not the time for that), and found that it's actually fairly useful in the OU(pokebank) and UU metagame. And the best one I've found with it?

Articuno. That's right. Hear me out though. Immediately I thought that it would be interesting to use on gyarados, since there's still the sweeping with moxie and scarf/DD variant as a slightly superior(IMO) option to Mega. Because of that goal, I needed a Pokemon that could outspeed a +1 Gyarados. Because Cyrogonal has worse defense than Pikachu, I chose Articuno, slapped a scarf on it, and went to town.

Because I've taken part in some of the unofficial leagues, this will definately make a mark on Monotype, since it all but destroys monowater, but I got to thinking about Ubers as well. Palkia, who's a major threat that just got even worse due to it's one weakness being dragon and Xerneas, is not a fan of getting smacked in the face with a freeze dry. Articuno even has the bulk to survive scarf variants and take them out.

Don't get me wrong, this is so very much a nitche, but then again freeze dry is made to be a nitche move, considering it's distribution. Either way, I think there's a decent chance of both Articuno and Lapras moving up.

I was just thinking, you know how much Kyogre would love this move? The number 1 check to Kyogre has been Palkia for the longest, it would get hit with a 4x super effect freeze dry.

Lapras@Weakness Policy
Shell Armor/Water Absorb
Sassy 126 Df / 252 SpA / 132 SpD
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Freeze Dry
~ Surf

Lapras has 135/80/95 defenses and is weak to Electric, Grass, Fighting and Rock. Sounds like the recipe for a Weakness Policy set to me. With HP so high you'll get more mileage investing in the defense stats themselves and +2 252 SpA solves these "power" problems. Rest Talk lets you keep the offensive pressure, not worrying if Rain runs out or not. In fact, you'll probably hang around longer in general with Shell Armor preventing critical hits from ruining your parade. This guy wants Scald SO bad! Imagine full SpD investment and burning your opponent. *kisses fingers*

Lapras@Weakness Policy
Shell Armor/Water Absorb
Sassy 126 Df / 252 SpA / 132 SpD
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Freeze Dry
~ Surf

Lapras has 135/80/95 defenses and is weak to Electric, Grass, Fighting and Rock. Sounds like the recipe for a Weakness Policy set to me. With HP so high you'll get more mileage investing in the defense stats themselves and +2 252 SpA solves these "power" problems. Rest Talk lets you keep the offensive pressure, not worrying if Rain runs out or not. In fact, you'll probably hang around longer in general with Shell Armor preventing critical hits from ruining your parade. This guy wants Scald SO bad! Imagine full SpD investment and burning your opponent. *kisses fingers*
Wow that's news! Lapras doesn't learn Scald! GF are such trolls sometimes.

I went through the Field egg group, and here are some potential recievers from Swinub.
Persian
Eevee
Aipom
Sneasel
Numel
Absol
Stunky
Panpour
Zorua
Cubchoo
Espurr
Pikachu
Psyduck
Both Nidorans
Wooper
Wailmer
Skitty
Piplup
Buizel
Bidoof
A lot of these are unlikely, but it would be fun to try.

I'm not yet believing it till we get a picture of a Swinub with Freeze Dry- but too bad Freeze Dry would work off it's horrible Sp. Atk stat in any case. Makes you wonder if you can chain breed it over to anything else FROM there, though if true.
Smeargle can Sketch it and Swinub can learn it from there. And look at it this way: Mamoswine has something to hit Rotom-W with for super effective damage. LOL.

I think most of the point of this move was to give ice-types something unique to call their own honestly.

...offense is really all they have going for them, and so many things learn Ice Beam that aren't ice types.

Smeargle can Sketch it and Swinub can learn it from there. And look at it this way: Mamoswine has something to hit Rotom-W with for super effective damage. LOL.
I admit I had forgotten about Smeargle. You gotta wonder how many new moves are going to breed chain through that painter Pokemon- I suppose it's appropriate given the region is all artiste. :)

It's a nice move but it's distribution kills it.

E/:
It appears that GF really tries to improve Ice types. Sadly the weaknesses and overall low speed ruin their walling as well as their sweeping power. Freeze Dry, though a nice move, is not enough.

Fear not, I have a ridiculously gimmiky yet theoretically potentially hilarious use for freeze dry.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk ( OR 252 Atk 4 SpAtk)
Naive/Rash (OR Mild) Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Superpower / Stone Edge / Stealth Rocks

Standard DD gyara:
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 395-473 (112.5 - 134.7%)

Phys Tank Gastro:
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gastrodon: 468-551 (109.8 - 129.3%)

Awful Quaggy spread:
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Quagsire: 374-442 (94.9 - 112.1%)

Phys def Rotom-w
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 187-221 (61.5 - 72.6%)

Standard Ferro:
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 177-208 (50.2 - 59%)

Clearly Rash has more power, but the lack of speed kinda sucks. You technically wouldn't need to run special attack EVs with the spreads given, as you would still 2hko Rotom-W after rocks, and have a 50/50 to OHKO gastro and Gyara.

Last edited:
Fear not, I have a ridiculously gimmiky yet theoretically potentially hilarious use for freeze dry.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk ( OR 252 Atk 4 SpAtk)
Naive/Rash (OR Mild) Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Superpower / Stone Edge / Stealth Rocks

Standard DD gyara:
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 395-473 (112.5 - 134.7%)

Phys Tank Gastro:
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gastrodon: 468-551 (109.8 - 129.3%)

Awful Quaggy spread:
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Quagsire: 374-442 (94.9 - 112.1%)

Phys def Rotom-w
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 187-221 (61.5 - 72.6%)

Standard Ferro:
252 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 177-208 (50.2 - 59%)

Clearly Rash has more power, but the lack of speed kinda sucks. You technically wouldn't need to run special attack EVs with the spreads given, as you would still 2hko Rotom-W after rocks, and have a 50/50 to OHKO gastro and Gyara.
I don't know how I should feel about this. Mixed Manoswine just feels... off. On the other hand, calcs don't lie. What sort of damage does Earthquake do with no investment? Is it worth trying Earth Power?

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Rotom-W is the most common pokemon in the metagame right now so Freeze Dry is definitely a solid option on Mamoswine. Even without SpAtk investiment it 2HKO's most variants.

So about 156 SpAtk EVs is the sweet spot for LO Naive mamoswine to OHKO and 2hko things with freeze dry.

Calcs:
Standard DD Gyarados:
156 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 359-426 (102.2 - 121.3%)

Bulky Gyarados:
156 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Gyarados: 359-426 (91.1 - 108.1%)
~40% Chance to OHKO, and a second chance with Ice shard if you miss it.

Tank Quaggy:
156 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 515-608 (130.7 - 154.3%)

Tank Gastro:
156 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gastrodon: 426-504 (100 - 118.3%)

Defensive Rotom-W:
156 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 172-203 (56.5 - 66.7%)
+
100 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 88-104 (28.9 - 34.2%)

Should take it out with rocks or minor damage.

Reactions: 56k
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)